• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Full day with the Vortex 4.5-27x - Initial Impressions

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So, after the Sniper's Hide Cup, Vortex sent over a 4.5-27x Razor HD II and I have to say I am liking this scope.

10383575_752846194738906_1188899260433585121_n.jpg

So after mounting it on my MCM Alias (6.5CM) I took it out to a precision rifle class for Trigger Time Gun Club.

First off the down side, yes it's as heavy as it says in the specs. There is no misprint, it's solid scope.

I like the reticle, it was simple and not overly complex while still being thin enough for precision accuracy. This version has the EBR-1C reticle, and it's the type of reticle that suits me very well.

Zeroing,
    I liked zeroing this scope. I like the adjustments under the cap, and I liked the ease of zeroing.

Using it, it's got very good glass, the Razor HD line is very good, the glass has the right amount of resolution and pop without running into a lot of Chromatic Aberrations like a few others out there. I found it very good, so good in fact I was actually using it around 15x much more than any other power because it was that easy to see and gave me a great balance of FOV and clarity of target.

It's definitely the best scope Vortex has put out, and I am a Super Fan of 1-6x Razor which this expands on.

Glad I haven't lost my eye even though I just looked at in inside at SHOT. Look forward to getting mine in.

Thanks for the tease and look forward to more reviews in the coming weeks. I may have missed it but what was the reason to make such a heavy scope?

I only wish Vortex would consider adding the EBR-1C to the 18X model as well, that is one very well designed reticle.

How does the zero stop work on the new ones? Same method as the Gen 1 Razor or have they revamped it?

I get that, but if you spoke with them extensively on production and delivery, what realistic date are they anticipating if you are taking the pre orders?

I get that, but if you spoke with them extensively on production and delivery, what realistic date are they anticipating if you are taking the pre orders?
    I have been in this industry for MANY years and no longer commit to a firm time line as it can blow up in my face, however, I am confident that I will have these scopes to ship before my Annual Alaska fishing trip the third week of July

It is but in the reality it's only 10 ounces more than the S&B 5-25x and 9 ounces more than the BEAST. 10 ounces isn't much in this game especially for what you get and the price you are getting it. Lots of places to lose 10 ounces on rifles if that amount of weight is a make or break for you.

It is but in the reality it's only 10 ounces more than the S&B 5-25x and 9 ounces more than the BEAST. 10 ounces isn't much in this game especially for what you get and the price you are getting it. Lots of places to lose 10 ounces on rifles if that amount of weight is a make or break for you.

Dang it Rob....

Tracy called and my GAP is in route! Now I just need to wait and see how this things fairs before scooping one up.... or do I wait for the Steiner....

What to buy what to buy....

I broke down & ordered a Gen II Razor HD 4.5 - 27 today. I talked at a rep named Ken Calhoun (608) 662-1079. This guy was very easy to deal with & a huge help in general. Anyone have any idea on delivery times?

I broke down & ordered a Gen II Razor HD 4.5 - 27 today. I talked at a rep named Ken Calhoun (608) 662-1079. This guy was very easy to deal with & a huge help in general. Anyone have any idea on delivery times?

Scott at Liberty Optics told me 6 weeks this past Monday.

I have one on order but got a ATACR for my rifle build since these won't be available when it's done. I'll have one of them up for sale after the Razor gets here, we'll see which one...........

The weight imo is just in the wrong spot but it won't keep me from trying one. Oz add up to pounds and while most of our guns are not light I don't want to lug around a 20lb rifle in a prs style match. With everything else you need to carry for some matches it gets stupid heavy. It's one reason I really really like my March 5-40x56. The thing is very lightweight and has proven to be a rock solid optic and has been beaten pretty hard with no issues, but they do have 1/3 less parts in them from my understanding so I would expect them to be lighter.

I know optics are subjective in a lot of cases but how did you feel it stacked up against the beast, S&B or hensoldt? With a lot of these optics having 7k price tags on them optics like this will fill a huge void in the market imo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I like that it's heavy. I'm gonna put on an HTI .50 BMG and hopefully the weight will help with the recoil, plus it has a lifetime warranty. Just may need that on a .50.

I am getting ready to finalize a review for this scope starting this week.

Needless to say I like it, it has clean lines, it feels like you're getting something out of it. ( The weight doesn't bother me, heck the Hensoldt 3-26x is about the same if not a tick more)

It's been accurate, repeatable, the glass it very good, and the adjustments are crisp. I was an immediate fan of the Vortex HD 1-6x and this just takes that optic to the next level. Vortex knocked it out of the park with this one. They succeeded in accomplishing their mission for this scope.

The lines are really starting to blur between what was once considered Top of the Line and these new scopes looking to directly compete with the scopes at the high end. The goal of these companies is to give us the best product for the money without going crazy like we have seen. ($6k - $7k is crazy) This optic is a solid choice for anyone looking to save a little money while still getting all the features we have come to expect. You can no longer say, "well it's a Vortex so it's not gonna be as good as ..." because they are that good. You can debate nuances here or there, but that is all they are, really small stuff that doesn't make a lick of difference when it comes to shooting.

Make your own choice, if you feel the weight is an issue, ok, if you want a speckle of more brightness at 27x, whatever, if you want a reticle where the hash marks go against each other, so be it... but you can't take away anything from the scope itself. You're internal mind trips are just that, yours.

Can't wait to hear the full review frank it looks like I'll have to step up to the plate an get one!!

Make your own choice, if you feel the weight is an issue, ok, if you want a speckle of more brightness at 27x, whatever, if you want a reticle where the hash marks go against each other, so be it... but you can't take away anything from the scope itself. You're internal mind trips are just that, yours.

The only thing people will harp on is the weight and like Lowlight said that's a personal choice. But think about this. People will take a 39 ounce 5-25 and put it in a 9.5 ounce Spuhr mount and be just fine at 48.5 ounce and not complain about weight at all. Take the 48 ounce Razor II and put it in some 34mm Seekins rings at 5 ounces and you are at 53 ounces. Difference of 4.5 ounces. If that 4.5 ounces is going to break you then pick another scope but if you don't look at the total scope and only fixate on the weight then you are doing yourself a disservice.

Oh and so everyone knows the shipping timeline is holding true. Got a call yesterday mine came in and would be shipping today so hopefully in a few days I will be posting some pics and get it mounted up and to the range.

What's the rationale behind the weight of this thing? I mean, is there a reason it has to be so weighty as opposed to shaving 6-10 ounces off of it? Just trying to figure out why vortex is going in the same direction when Steiner and others seem to be scaling back on the weight a bit.

The only thing people will harp on is the weight and like Lowlight said that's a personal choice. But think about this. People will take a 39 ounce 5-25 and put it in a 9.5 ounce Spuhr mount and be just fine at 48.5 ounce and not complain about weight at all. Take the 48 ounce Razor II and put it in some 34mm Seekins rings at 5 ounces and you are at 53 ounces. Difference of 4.5 ounces. If that 4.5 ounces is going to break you then pick another scope but if you don't look at the total scope and only fixate on the weight then you are doing yourself a disservice.

Oh and so everyone knows the shipping timeline is holding true. Got a call yesterday mine came in and would be shipping today so hopefully in a few days I will be posting some pics and get it mounted up and to the range.

If people are bitching about 4.5 or so ounces....the classic line, "You need to hit the gym more" comes to mind.

What's the rationale behind the weight of this thing? I mean, is there a reason it has to be so weighty as opposed to shaving 6-10 ounces off of it? Just trying to figure out why vortex is going in the same direction when Steiner and others seem to be scaling back on the weight a bit.

Honestly I couldn't say as I don't work for Vortex and I have never seen the internals, glass or tube thickness etc. Maybe someone will post about it but my guess is that they were wanting to answer the needs and wants of the community and build a feature filled scope that will perform and can take a lot of abuse for a very good price point. From handling it I can say it sure feels very well put together and glass is excellent. If you look at postings about the scope you will see that most all detractors are people who have never handled or looked through the scope. The people who have time with it have nothing but good things to say about it. That should say something right there.

Not to start controversy but you have to ask yourself though that when dropping weight it has to come from somewhere. Where is it coming from? That's not a redirect as politicians do but as honest a question as yours. People should be wondering that as well.

Honestly I couldn't say as I don't work for Vortex and I have never seen the internals, glass or tube thickness etc. Maybe someone will post about it but my guess is that they were wanting to answer the needs and wants of the community and build a feature filled scope that will perform and can take a lot of abuse for a very good price point. From handling it I can say it sure feels very well put together and glass is excellent. If you look at postings about the scope you will see that most all detractors are people who have never handled or looked through the scope. The people who have time with it have nothing but good things to say about it. That should say something right there.

Not to start controversy but you have to ask yourself though that when dropping weight it has to come from somewhere. Where is it coming from? That's not a redirect as politicians do but as honest a question as yours. People should be wondering that as well.

Fair enough Rob. And this isn't a criticism of Vortex because I think the scope can be a winner regardless of weight but was wondering what changes necessitated additonal weight when other scopes with similar features seem to be shaving weight. If it means that Vortex can take more abuse then its competitors then that's a feature rather than an unnecessary addition.

If people are bitching about 4.5 or so ounces....the classic line, "You need to hit the gym more" comes to mind.

Agreed.

What has come to be of more importance to me with my entire system is balance. While the overall weight is not without significance, how it balances while shooting from field positions is a more practical measure in my opinion. A rifle that is nose heavy will feel much heavier than it really is. Beautiful thing about the scope is that it is more or less centered between your hands. A more practical place to be concerned about is barrel length & weight, as well as bipod, and any other forward mounted accessories.

Oh and so everyone knows the shipping timeline is holding true. Got a call yesterday mine came in and would be shipping today.
    Just curious, was this the 3-18, or 4.5-27. I read the 3-18's might be shipping sooner, but never know what to believe?

Frank, a bit off topic but how come there is little information to be found on that Alias rifle from McMillan? I saw it at shot show and now that I go to their website it seems non existent.

So am I understanding this correctly, the first round of production 4.5-27X56 scopes are at, or on their way to retailers? So those of us that were on a pre-order lists could/should be seeing them in the next week or so? Or did you get a special hook-up? Not being sarcastic or anything. I'm going to be waiting at the door for the UPS guy like a dog waiting for his owner to get home!

So am I understanding this correctly, the first round of production 4.5-27X56 scopes are at, or on their way to retailers? So those of us that were on a pre-order lists could/should be seeing them in the next week or so? Or did you get a special hook-up? Not being sarcastic or anything. I'm going to be waiting at the door for the UPS guy like a dog waiting for his owner to get home!

I wouldn't say the next week or so but they are coming. As to when your retailer is getting them, that would be a better question for them as I am sure they know better than I do. I ordered mine back in January directly from Vortex.

Frank, if I'm not mistaken you used the Ebr-1c reticle? Not sure if you are putting this in your review, disregard if so.

How useable was it at all magnification levels, especially towards the lower end?

Any chance you could use your ways of persuasion and suggest/ask vortex to include it in the 18X as well?

Are they shipping out to dealers prior to sending out orders directly from their website, or is it all in order of whoever ordered from them first?