• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Full day with the Vortex 4.5-27x - Initial Impressions

[MENTION=102665]Dead Nutz[/MENTION]

Cause you're not too smart... Not trying to start an argument but you don't understand the audience or what an initial impression tells you.

i could be confused, but 99% of people's question about an initial impression is what it looks like, the sight picture. I never commented on the glass, but balanced my observation to mention, clarity, FOV, and how that combined with its magnification gave me a very good initial impression.

Because of people like you, who, no offense, might be reading challenged, at least when it comes to comprehension I stopped going into any details on the glass. Watch the video, 10 minutes worth. How many of those minutes was spent on glass? So in my initial impression, I gave you 3 sentences, maybe four and painted a picture of the overall "look" of the scope, you feel I weighted that portion. Once again you prove my point.... People read into what is said according to their bias and not what is actually discussed.

there is a reason I tell companies a minimum of 45 days for a review. Sure I gave my initial impression, and it was quick, but after I box test or actually tall target it it every single time I take it out. I shoot my range from 100 to at least 1250 and back, then next trip out I start all over again. It's actually quite boring. I confirm zero, every time, run the 7 mils then hit steel out and back, recheck zero, and repeat. I fire than no less than 1000 rounds with any given scope. You'll see me do lessons with it, and since I usually do a monthly class, I let them get behind it and sample opinions.

So, how a person can get the impression I put more effort into the glass, above anything else is beyond me. No argument from me, I expect misunderstandings which is why over the years I have dumbed it down. I used to print test targets, I invested in optical targets of every type and had an account with Edmunds, I own all sorts of optical charts which now collect dust, still it appears I have fallen short in making any kind of point.

With the fundamentals of marksmanship, Sight Picture is important, but sight picture is a combination of factors to give the shooter edge to edge clarity. So touching on the FOV, the clarity and resolution is necessary. But only to the degree needed to make the shot. Can I see, can I dial out the parallax, is there too much CA which may distract the shooter on brightly lit targets, it all has value, but I weight it far below the function. Because of this, you 3 lines in my initial impression, and 10 minutes everywhere else.

With the new March 3-24x52 in my possession I will try to satisfy your curiosity and strive to clarify my position better.

Apologies for contradicting myself in such a manner to confuse.

No apologies needed.

Tried to get pics of the EBR 2C MOA reticle against the sky. A little off center, and at 4.5x my phone wanted to focus on some clouds that rolled in:

27X

15X

4.5X

Tried to get pics of the EBR 2C MOA reticle against the sky. A little off center, and at 4.5x my phone wanted to focus on some clouds that rolled in:

4.5X

RW was your experience the same as mine in that you could see the numbers on the reticle with your eye but it didn't come out in pictures well at 4.5x?

I should have preordered :(

I can't wait until they are readily available :)

The scopes that are already out(Rob01, rw496 etc...) was the first shipment out from Vortex. The second shipment is due mid to end of this month, per Vortex conversation. Called Cameraland and confirmed they are getting a shipment by the end of this month. I ordered and paid for an MOA and was told to be the first MOA order for that 2nd shipment with five Mil scopes already spoken for. This took place yesterday. I'm sure everyone on Vortex's website list of dealers will have something by end of this month. Hope this helps.

RW was your experience the same as mine in that you could see the numbers on the reticle with your eye but it didn't come out in pictures well at 4.5x?

Exactly. 4.5x was actually, I thought, easy to see through the reticle. It just doesn't translate well through the pics

Exactly. 4.5x was actually, I thought, easy to see through the reticle. It just doesn't translate well through the pics

Good to hear it wasn't just my crappy camera LOL

How does the EBR-2C look under illumination? Is the illuminated christmas tree at all distracting?

Also, if anyone gets a picture like those above of a EBR-2C MRAD, I'd love to see a picture of it. Thanks!

So after some time behind it, does anyone have an opinion on the illumination (good, bad, indifferent, better that X, as good as Y)? I think at this point it doesn't matter, I'm still getting one. haha

So after some time behind it, does anyone have an opinion on the illumination (good, bad, indifferent, better that X, as good as Y)? I think at this point it doesn't matter, I'm still getting one. haha

Mine has no issues with the illumination bleading, or anything like that.

been running that reticle in my xlr hs for 2 years now and really have liked it. Now time to start saving pennys as a razor is in my future

Does the color of the new Razor II match the shade used for their 1-6x?

The 1-6 seems to be a little greener and the 4.5-27 is a little browner. Here are a couple pics. One in the sun and one in the shade.

ScHvIhj.jpg

BgCZ2tj.jpg

Can anyone ship these to aus?

It is against Vortex’s international shipping policy for a USA dealer to ship Vortex products to Australia. However, we do have a great distributor and dealer network in Australia. We highly recommend that Aus citizens purchase any Vortex products direct from Australia. This way the consumer would get the best service possible. Here is the contact info for the Aus distributor-

Extravision Australia Pty. Ltd.
Unit 15 / 93 Rivergate Place
Bridgemark Centre
Murarrie
Brisbane, Qld. 4172
Phone: +617 3393 9384

If by chance a USA Vortex dealer violates our international shipping policy by shipping to Australia we would still cover our warranty. However, if any warranty service is required, this would extremely delay the warranty process as the customer would have to endure the lengthy process and costs of internationally shipping the product back to us in the USA, along with any import duty charges.

Best Regards
Scott

Can anyone ship these to aus?

Cleaver Firearms has them listed for $2990, cheapest Aussie price. I have ordered mine through Abelas as they will Match Cleavers price. NVT are selling them for $3140 others are selling them >$3500. Extravision (Vortex Australia) estimate they will arrive in Aus in the next two to three weeks.

Will parallax allow you to get a sharp focus below 50Y? My gen I seemed to 'bottom out' at ~60Y, didn't quite look right at 50Y.
Thanks

Will parallax allow you to get a sharp focus below 50Y? My gen I seemed to 'bottom out' at ~60Y, didn't quite look right at 50Y.
Thanks

Here is a pic of a post at my range at about 20 yards on 4.5x. The reticle looks better in person and is still usable as an aiming point.

SciLpR5.jpg

For the guys in Aus. Delta Tactical has them for $2990aud too, so if your in Vic you might save some coin on postage, seeing as Cleavers is in QLD. Just a thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong lowlight, it looked like in the video you were able to keep the scope in unlocked or up position as you were manipulating the controls back and forth. Is that the case, and if it is are you able to do that and keep it on "unlock" during rest of shooting session. Will it stay unlocked if I leave it unlocked. Reason being I'm not a fan of locking turrets...but if I have a choice to lock it or not to lock it and I am still able to quickly manipulate controls, that makes this my new scope.

Correct me if I'm wrong lowlight, it looked like in the video you were able to keep the scope in unlocked or up position as you were manipulating the controls back and forth. Is that the case, and if it is are you able to do that and keep it on "unlock" during rest of shooting session. Will it stay unlocked if I leave it unlocked. Reason being I'm not a fan of locking turrets...but if I have a choice to lock it or not to lock it and I am still able to quickly manipulate controls, that makes this my new scope.

Not Lowlight but yes the locking turret can be left unlocked for ease of manipulation and locked when you need it to be locked. I wouldn't want a knob that was spring loaded and you needed to hold it up every time. The Vortex is well designed.

Here is a pic of a post at my range at about 20 yards on 4.5x. The reticle looks better in person and is still usable as an aiming point.

SciLpR5.jpg

Love the pics Rob, feel free to post more.

Asking for your opinion on the field of view. Do you feel this model with 4.5X at the bottom would be at any disadvantage picking out close targets compared to its lower mag brethren or any other top level scope that has 3X at the bottom and their larger FOV for comps and the like?

Asking for your opinion on the field of view. Do you feel this model with 4.5X at the bottom would be at any disadvantage picking out close targets compared to its lower mag brethren or any other top level scope that has 3X at the bottom and their larger FOV for comps and the like?

Not at all. 1.5x down that end which is barely used is a good compromise to get the higher top end. Having used a 5x scope that tunneled from 7x for years was never a problem so having a non tunneling 4.5x FOV is going to be alot more useful but again rarely used at comps. Having the 3x FOV vs the 4.5 FOV isn't going to make or break you at a match.

I haven't done too many competitions but with that said, I don't remember ever having to dial below 8x. Even when it was at 100 yards shooting off barricades. For most purposes, the field of view at 8x is really enough.

I think the only time less could be useful is if whatever your doing involves scanning a large piece of land. For example like looking for something to pop up close range while hunting or maybe some kind of really close up mover. Everything else would be close quarters type shooting that shouldn't be shot with a rifle that has powerful scope on it.

Any recent updates on when the next batch of scopes is going to start shipping?