• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

G & A Precision vs Sako TRG 22

Ornery

Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
S. California
In the future (2013) I am considering purchasing an accurate 308 I will be shooting out from 800 to 1,000 yards, primarily bench/prone. From what I have read and seen both these rifles. They are both accurate and tough rifles. G & A is American made, which is a plus.

Any input on how these rifles compare?

Thanks,

Re: G & A Precision vs Sako TRG 22

both will serve you well, I vote GAP though. 'Merica!

Of those 2, GAP would be my pick by a mile!

It's "GA Precision"

GAP is a custom made rifle to your specifics. The TRG is a fine rifle, and I own both. But the TRG is what it is and if you don't like it your stuck with it. Then again, it's less expensive too.

To be honest, it's not a bad choice either way but my vote is always GAP.

What about a GAP built Sako
grin.gif
. But in all seriousness my vote goes for GAP. Just out of curiousity. What GAP rifle are you looking at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDStroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What about a GAP built Sako
grin.gif
. But in all seriousness my vote goes for GAP. Just out of curiousity. What GAP rifle are you looking at? </div></div>

I need to read up on the GAP's, but I was considering the Thunder Ranch or the Hospitaler.

Dean

Neither named model is comparable to a TRG-22. The Crusader or one of the "M" models are much more comparable.

If you can hold off for 5 years until I retire I will be opening a shop across the street from GAP, it's name is going to be Fuckin A Precision, so if you can hold off an give FAP a call, otherwise GAP's are the best rifles on the planet.......for now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can hold off for 5 years until I retire I will be opening a shop across the street from GAP, it's name is going to be Fuckin A Precision, so if you can hold off an give FAP a call, otherwise GAP's are the best rifles on the planet.......for now </div></div> Wow, and here I was about to waste my money and buy a mil-spec M40A5 from GAP. Put me on the waiting list for the first FAP rifle VJJ. Will the Bieber rifle be an option
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither named model is comparable to a TRG-22. The Crusader or one of the "M" models are much more comparable.</div></div>

Please expand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ornery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDStroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What about a GAP built Sako
grin.gif
. But in all seriousness my vote goes for GAP. Just out of curiousity. What GAP rifle are you looking at? </div></div>

I need to read up on the GAP's, but I was considering the Thunder Ranch or the Hospitaler.

Dean </div></div>

Of all the options listed, I think it's pretty unlikely you'd regret buying a Hospitaller if you went that route...

I vote for the GAP, on my third. Top Notch work from the guys. But now, this FAP rifles that is coming down the pipe sounds like winning...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither named model is comparable to a TRG-22. The Crusader or one of the "M" models are much more comparable.</div></div>

Please expand?</div></div>

Just that the Thunder Ranch model is lighter and quicker handling than the TRG and the Hospitaler seems more of a long range hunter. The M40A3 style seems more apples to apples with the TRG. That is what I was trying to get across. AG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither named model is comparable to a TRG-22. The Crusader or one of the "M" models are much more comparable.</div></div>

Please expand?</div></div>

Just that the Thunder Ranch model is lighter and quicker handling than the TRG and the <span style="color: #CC0000">Hospitaler seems more of a long range hunter</span>. The M40A3 style seems more apples to apples with the TRG. That is what I was trying to get across. AG </div></div>

Ummm no. The Hospitaller is not a long range hunter. It is a tactical rifle, built to be match ready. I own one, and it is a fantastic 308 rifle.

Well, the TRG is arguably one of the best shooting factory rifles made, the GAP is arguably one of the best shooting custom rifles made, either rifle will be a great choice. I just helped a buddy work up a load for a GAP 260 and it was very easy to shoot accurately. I own two TRG's if you want to know where I put my money.
SScott

Well to add fuel to the fire. I have owned a few builds from GAP and 1 M40A5 milspec in the last 4 or 5 years that I have owned my TRG. They have all been very nice, quality through out for sure, and have shot very well. Some have been on worked 700 actions with tuned Remington triggers and one was a 591 with a Huber. To me they were never able to match the TRG, when I was shooting one of them I was wishing I was shooting the TRG. So they have all been sold, and the TRG is sitting in the bag loaded up ready to go bang some steel in about 5 hours. Its a bit off subject but I even sold my AIAW 2.0 because I would rather be shooting the TRG.

So it really comes down to the person and what they like. You are going to have to decide for your self.

I too have a TRG with a S&B. I recently added a folding mono-pod to the stock and absolutly love it.

GAP, hands down. It's American-made and you have an immediate resource for any issue you may have with the rifle. You also get to buy exactly what you want, instead of how it comes from the factory.

Now, I'm usually the first guy to tell people to go with short barrels, but if you're going to be shooting often at 1k, then I'd go at least 20" if not 22". Now, if you're going to be shooting mostly under 800 yards and just occasionally to 1k, then get the Gladius. That's a hell of a rifle, in my opinion the best bolt gun in their lineup... and they've got a STELLAR lineup.

Ok, so obviously there's going to be die hard owners from both camps if you put up a question like this and hope to get a straightforward feedback which in this comparison is just going to be a unusable data to help with your decision.

I'm not as experienced as many of the members here that commented so I'm not going to say which one is a better choice. But I can offer is some advice FWIW...

For the TRGs, if you Shot One of them, you've shot all of them. There's is no differences at all between models TRG22/42 Shoots/Handles essentially the same other than the Cal differences. Yes, there are folder models but those still use the Same Chassis/Trigger/Fore end as the none folding ones. So as long as you can get your hands on One TRG you'll know if you'll like it or not.

As for the GAPs, everyone say they'll "Shoot Like a GAP" but honestly nobody can say the same on the Handling Part. This is due to a Big Variety of Model Line ups/Barrel Lengths/Calibers/Stocks/Actions/Chassis/Triggers/ You name it, hence it's a Custom.

If I were going to spend that kind of coin on a GAP I would first Decide on exactly what setup/model I want to build (If you're building a brand new rifle). If you haven't decided maybe you can try out a couple of Models First. I've only handled One GAP and it was the Hospitaller, Awesome Rifle Indeed, Scary Accurate. But it is on the Hefty Side and not your Carry Everywhere for Long Distance Rig. There are many other Standard GAP models that offers better Mobility with shorter barrels but you'll lose some velocity with that type of setup.

Last but not least, there is going to be a fairly Long Wait time with a GAP build especially a New Custom Build. You're looking at 3-6 Months of wait time. To some it's not a big deal, many already have other rifles to use/play with. I don't know about your current situation, but some might not like to wait that long.

Then there's the option of getting a used one, and there's A Lot of used GAPs out there. But you're limited to what options/model choices you can get thus taking the "Personal Custom" out of the Equation.

Now for some personal experience with my TRG. I have to say the Rifle is As Accurate if not better than the GAP Hospitaller I shot. I think this is for the most part due to the Fantastic TRG Factory Trigger that came on these rifles. I've shot several rifles with Timmney/Jewel/and old school tuned rem triggers even the GAP Hospitaller, and NONE can compare to the TRG factory Trigger. It is also what I love most about the TRGs.

I'd say take everyone's advice here as a foundation and try to find and handle as many GAP rifle Models as you can find, then decide on the GAP rifle that you want then compare to any one TRG out there and make a decision on your rifle.

But if you think a Brand New GAP is in order then I'd suggest you get started on picking one soon. With the kind of wait time associated to some of these Custom Rifles the year 2013 might come and gone real quick.

Cheers and Good Luck!

HOG.

^^^
What HOGTOOTH5R said, good advice.

I have both, a few TRG's and a couple GAP's. They all have their Pro's and Con's, but all shoot better then I can. However, if I'm punching paper at 100-yards, I can generaly do better with my GAP's since I feel they are a more stable platform, i.e. heavier, more riggid with an Atlas bipod, etc. But, I prefer my TRG's in the field since they are generaly lighter and more ergonomic.

You can't go wrong with either as far as accuracy, so I suggest getting the platform that fits you best.

Looks like the only choice you have is to buy a GAP Hospitaller and a TRG 22. Shoot them both and decide which one you like the best and ship the other one to me. Then in 5 years when you get your FAP, you can send me the other one. Seriously, you can't go wrong. If you can go shoot a TRG and like it and feel like it fits your needs as much as a GAP could, buy one. If it doesn't fit just right, figure out the components you like and want, then give GAP a call and get exactly what you want.

Were it me, I'd go with the TRG, unless that didn't suit my fancy and I wanted something more "custom". The TRG is an excellent rifle.

In the high end realm your really trying to squeeze blood from a turnip for ranges under 1000. Find one that you like and get out and shoot it. Try to get your hands on a few so you can pick one that fits you best. And heck you put your money on the less expensive one it leave more $$$ for sling'n lead. The more you shoot the better "you'll" be the rifle can only do so much.