• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Input on future rifle.. Christensen TFM or SAKO TRG 22A1

Wicked Ed

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2019
Looking to purchase of the following.. I have own and have experience with both makers (Christensen MRP and Scout.. Sako TRG 22 260 rem), but none with these particular models. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks who actually own and shoot either of these models. I have not settled on caliber.. most likely 6.5 CR or 300 winmag
Since bother are in the $5K+ realm I am assuming they are of a similar performance level. Thoughts?

I'd put my money on the Sako of those two.

While my experience isn't with what you're asking, I wanted to input that when you get into that price range - you will want to make sure that you're getting all the options you like. Otherwise, a custom build will make more sense as it will probably cost less and hit every wicket.

Yes, I am aware they are different.. ;). I have several holes in the collection to fill, and have not made up my mind on which role to buy for.
To be fair.. street price on Christensen is $4K.. MSRP is $5K. Christensen comes with a .5 MOA guarantee.. (which I am sure the Sako is more than capable of, but at $1500 higher cost).

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just go with something like an Origin/prefit and drop it into a solid chassis. Similar price point and better quality. I don't have any exposure to Sako, but I've seen enough Christensens to be, if not underwhelmed, certainly not impressed by them.

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just go with something like an Origin/prefit and drop it into a solid chassis. Similar price point and better quality. I don't have any exposure to Sako, but I've seen enough Christensens to be, if not underwhelmed, certainly not impressed by them.
Honestly not familiar with them, but I'm not interested in building a rifle... I am interested in buying a finished rifle, thus why I am not looking at separate receivers and & chassis. Why do you say they have better quality than SAKO?

My current SAKO TRG is a impressive rifle. The MRP I have is good as well, and after having them as booth neighbors for years at SHOT I am happy to support them if they are making good stuff. This is why I was asking if anyone had actual hands on experience with either of these exact rifles. Have you fired a Christensen TFM?

Looking to purchase of the following.. I have own and have experience with both makers (Christensen MRP and Scout.. Sako TRG 22 260 rem), but none with these particular models. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks who actually own and shoot either of these models. I have not settled on caliber.. most likely 6.5 CR or 300 winmag
Since bother are in the $5K+ realm I am assuming they are of a similar performance level. Thoughts?
I own 2 Christiansen Arms Rifles. An MPR in 338 Laupua and a Ridgeline in 300 PRC. Both shoot 1/2” groups at a hundred yards. I don’t own a SAKO but have A Titka in 223 that also shoots 1/2” groups. So my opinion is to purchase what you feel comfortable with because both brands are excellent choices

Reactions: Wicked Ed
Honestly not familiar with them, but I'm not interested in building a rifle... I am interested in buying a finished rifle, thus why I am not looking at separate receivers and & chassis. Why do you say they have better quality than SAKO?

I said I have not had exposure to Sako, so can't comment there.

My current SAKO TRG is a impressive rifle. The MRP I have is good as well, and after having them as booth neighbors for years at SHOT I am happy to support them if they are making good stuff. This is why I was asking if anyone had actual hands on experience with either of these exact rifles. Have you fired a Christensen TFM?

I have not fired a TFM, but unless it's got a different action than the others on their roster, it's really just window dressing (stock/chassis). And it's not that I think they're bad rifles, but the price point is the same or higher than you could put together a highly capable "custom". If you're not into doing that, then spend the $$ and have fun with it.

If you want the Sako, buy the Sako.

If you just want to spend money you'll get a decent custom for the same amount.

Yes, I am aware they are different.. ;). I have several holes in the collection to fill, and have not made up my mind on which role to buy for.
To be fair.. street price on Christensen is $4K.. MSRP is $5K. Christensen comes with a .5 MOA guarantee.. (which I am sure the Sako is more than capable of, but at $1500 higher cost).
I bought my Christiansen MPR 338 Lapua brand new only 3 months ago. I paid $2,600 with Texas Taxes. If the Saki is truly $5k, you could get two CA for that.
I said in my other post that Titka is as smooth an action as I’ve ever enjoyed and being that Sako and Titka are essentially the same company, I’d assume the same smoothness of the bolt.
My Two CA rifles do not have the smoothest bolts but I’ve never failed to load when pulling through the bolt. I love the adjustability of the CA MPR and in 6.5PRC it’s a light rifle.

I said in my other post that Titka is as smooth an action as I’ve ever enjoyed and being that Sako and Titka are essentially the same company, I’d assume the same smoothness of the bolt.
Not to pick a fight, and yes the Tikka is smooth but not compared to a TRG... Probably due to the Sako being a three lug with them having support through the whole throw.

Last edited:
I’ve shot a total of one Christensen, a 308 MPR, so my sample size is small. That being said, I was impressed with the quality of their chassis but that’s about it. The rest of the rifle is just a polished Remington 700 with a carbon barrel that has had a lot of mixed reviews for consistency.

I’ve shot 5 different TRG’s and every one is the same. Meaning, they are all made to a high standard, every trigger is perfect(if you haven’t felt a TRG trigger you’re missing out on the best trigger in existence), every one has been boringly accurate and consistently accurate.
If you pick up a TRG, and like the ergonomics, I’m willing to bet a good chunk of money that you’ll be a TRG fan for life.
The new TRG-A1 is pretty expensive because Sako charges crazy prices for anything that’s new. You could find a used TRG-22 for a good price and throw it in a KRG or Vision chassis and probably be into it for less than 5k.

DO NOT buy a Christensen arms. It’s overpriced flaming garbage. I don’t think the awko is great either for that much money but PLEASE STOP BUY CA SHIT PILES
You’re poorly informed. I have two CA rifles a MPR in 338 Lapua and a Ridgeline in 300PRC. Both shoot better than 1/2” MOA. If you ever have any problem with a CA they will make it right. I love both of mine and I’m planning on a third.

I’ve shot a total of one Christensen, a 308 MPR, so my sample size is small. That being said, I was impressed with the quality of their chassis but that’s about it. The rest of the rifle is just a polished Remington 700 with a carbon barrel that has had a lot of mixed reviews for consistency.

I’ve shot 5 different TRG’s and every one is the same. Meaning, they are all made to a high standard, every trigger is perfect(if you haven’t felt a TRG trigger you’re missing out on the best trigger in existence), every one has been boringly accurate and consistently accurate.
If you pick up a TRG, and like the ergonomics, I’m willing to bet a good chunk of money that you’ll be a TRG fan for life.
The new TRG-A1 is pretty expensive because Sako charges crazy prices for anything that’s new. You could find a used TRG-22 for a good price and throw it in a KRG or Vision chassis and probably be into it for less than 5k.
I already have a TRG 22 in 260 REM which is epic.. love it. Looking to expand into another one, and was heavily leaning towards 300 win for the next.. but am such a .264 fan boy that I might just stick with the creed...

The SAKO will be worth roughly what you paid for it after you shoot 500-1000 rounds through it. You'll be lucky to get 2500 for the Christianson. Christianson makes a great rifle at the 1500-2000 price point, especially in the light weight category, but I would never pay more since they are still built around a chintzy 700 action with inconsistent QC. SAKO all the way.

In a little late here, but is the OP seriously asking for a comparison between a literal sniper rifle used by nation-states and a consumer-level rifle? A consumer-level rifle with tons of complaints about it all over the web?

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Yes.. I do believe I was seriously asking a question. Did your snark serve some purpose beyond armchair grandstanding? Did you bring anything of value to the conversation? No.

do you think that because a nation uses a rifle for sniping that it is automatically superior in every respect to others? Because an awful lot of rifles have been used by militaries around the world for sniping that a box stock civvie Christiansen would spank hands down, even with complaints all over the web. (my eyes couldn't roll any harder)

I'm not shooting people. I'm shoot paper. For fun. I have both, both are fun.

Reactions: 1AvgMarksman
Having shot both, I would buy the sako without a second thought.
The Sako is (imo ) an objectively better rifle and certainly a better investment.

Having shot both, I would buy the sako without a second thought.
The Sako is (imo ) an objectively better rifle and certainly a better investment.
Hard to argue that... My Sako's are certainly nice.

However... I was hoping someone with an TFM would chime in and relay their experience.

Last edited:
Well…the Sako is heavy-ish. The CA rifles you list are CF-barreled light rifles.

Just that alone is weird.

It’s like asking, “Help me decide between this Engineer’s 4lbs hammer and this 16oz ball-peen hammer?”

I have several holes in the collection to fill, and have not made up my mind on which role to buy for.
I'm not shooting people. I'm shoot paper. For fun. I have both, both are fun.

I guess you finally revealed a purpose for both of them in your very last post…shooting paper. Or is that the solo purpose for both?

It’s confusing, you have “holes to fill”, presumably different “role(s) to buy for”.

You already have a TRG, have experience with other Christensens, yet are looking for some subtle difference between CA’s that you can’t figure out? It appears all CA’s have the same action.

What holes, what roles, what are you doing with the guns (just paper?), why are you asking (given your experience), why are you confused? Seriously, not mocking you.

Well…the Sako is heavy-ish. The CA rifles you list are CF-barreled light rifles.

Just that alone is weird.

It’s like asking, “Help me decide between this Engineer’s 4lbs hammer and this 16oz ball-peen hammer?”

I guess you finally revealed a purpose for both of them in your very last post…shooting paper. Or is that the solo purpose for both?

It’s confusing, you have “holes to fill”, presumably different “role to buy for”.

You already had a TRG, have experience with other Christensens, yet are looking for some subtle difference between CA’s that you can’t figure out? It appears all CA’s have the same action.

What holes, what roles, what are you doing with the guns (just paper?), why are you asking (given your experience), why are you confused? Seriously, not mocking you.

Pretty simple.. Looking for someone to chime in who owns an TFM...

While lighter than a TRG at 7+ pounds, the TFM is advertised as a purpose built to the same role. I wanted feedback from someone who has actual experience on that rifle.

I have a large collection... was looking to add a new rifle to the mix. I wanted to hear from folks who own the rifles in the title and fired them, on their thoughts on those models.

There is no "subtle" difference between a MPR or scout and their TFM...? Thats like saying there is no difference between a Sako built for hunting, and their top of the line TRG 22A1 at a cost of over double. Whether you like or dislike Christensen, its obvious that their models do differ in features at various price points, no matter that receiver.

Have you spent time on a TFM?

Pretty simple.. Looking for someone to chime in who owns an TFM...

While lighter than a TRG at 7+ pounds, the TFM is advertised as a purpose built to the same role. I wanted feedback from someone who has actual experience on that rifle.

I have a large collection... was looking to add a new rifle to the mix. I wanted to hear from folks who own the rifles in the title and fired them, on their thoughts on those models.

There is no "subtle" difference between a MPR or scout and their TFM...? Thats like saying there is no difference between a Sako built for hunting, and their top of the line TRG 22A1 at a cost of over double. Whether you like or dislike Christensen, its obvious that their models do differ in features at various price points, no matter that receiver.

Have you spent time on a TFM?
DC0E71FD-4321-46F4-905F-8B76AAA00F35.jpeg

A Sako TRG22-A1 is a fine rifle. I had one for a while and sold it off. I liked the bolt handle and throw much more than the original TRG rifles. I’ve had 4 of those as well. Sold them off too. I get bored easily. There is no way in hell I would spend 4k on a Christensen anything.

To break it down, given the copious number of complaints about CA rifles revealed by a simple search, if you desire a complete rifle then for a bit more than $5k you could buy a Tac Ops that @MikeRTacOps offers.

See our very own site owner’s experiences here:

The Tac Ops rifle thread:

I do not own one. For the cost differential, I would steer you to bolting together a custom yourself, but I understand your preference.

Tac OP’s has pretty stellar reviews. Give Mike a call, he’s nice.

Reactions: NewsShooter
It’s not even close. Buy the damn sako lol. The trg is a prove military platform. Very robust and shoot lights out. While Christensen is a company that can’t seem to get their head out of their ass. Have a few friends that sell guns for a living in large box stores where people spend a lot and I mean a lot of money. Many come back time after time for constant qc issues. Wouldn’t touch one with a 10 ft pole. In there price bracket there is no excuse for half of it. There are plenty of of other options out there.

Last edited:
The thing is he already had a Sako when he started the thread. He should have titled this,

Experiences with Christensen TFM?​

In a little late here, but is the OP seriously asking for a comparison between a literal sniper rifle used by nation-states and a consumer-level rifle? A consumer-level rifle with tons of complaints about it all over the web?

Late, but not to late to troll .

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
For that price I'd buy a barreled action and put it in a stock or chassis of my choice.