• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gas Masks other than US M40?

kellogg2185

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a gas mask, but finding a US-made M40 that is affordable isn't the easiest. I'm not a hard core prepper, doomsdayist, or any of that jazz, just a guy who likes to be ready. While in the Corps I was a "gear queer", lol. Anyhow, I'm finding all sorts of Israeli masks, NATO masks, etc. but I wondered if any of you had experience with them, or others. I'm looking for something new, with one or two full NBC filters, not just tear gas. All of this Ferguson rioting crap is happening pretty close, and I wouldn't mind having something other than a rag if gas starts popping off around here. Chances are those hooligans won't come to St. Charles, but it's only about 15 minutes from here, and better safe than sorry.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't plan on needing it, but I don't plan on needing my fire extinguisher either, haha... Just ordered my AR500 Operator II chest rig, will put that in the SHTF bag as well. 98% of it's use will be for weighted pullups and dips though, hahaha...

You want an MSA mask with an NBC filter (they come in all types). Get a new sealed filter and leave it sealed, get a good one. Get a cheaper one and leave it on the mask. That'll work for tear gas but not much else. A full face mask is better IMO but the M40 is tougher. If you can get the Stryker kit for it, it's really nice since it has a hose and locates the filter elsewhere on your gear.

If you don't wanna spend money and don't plan on using it really, those Israeli masks work just fine and use the same filters. You can't see out of 'em that well, but you can't out of the M40 that well either. That's why the full face mask is better.

If you plan on ever using this thing, you need to practice in it, shooting and running. Running in a mask takes practice for some people because it feels like you are suffocating if you aren't used to it or are claustrophobic.

I'm not a SHTF type really, but I do live really close to a strato-volcano and we can have our air replaced with poison in about 8 minutes, so it'll be nice to be able to breathe should that happen. Also don't live that far from Hanford or the chemical and biological weapons storage facility, so there's lots of reasons we should all have a mask. On the other hand, they HAVE been in the damn closet for close to 13 years now...

Thanks for the replies, I checked that site out and found a full face mask I like, but it's sold out, go figure. But like you said, yours have been in the closet for quite some time, so I'm not in a rush.

I'd recommend the ones with the wide view continuous lens and not the "port holes" like the m40. Those things make it tough to shoot with.