• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele SSAE ... Im not digging it. Recomendations?

ultrarunner7

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
JAX
Hey fellas. Im not liking this Geissele trigger too much. Anyone else feel the same? I ran JP single stage triggers in my guns(AR-15s-Down range) for a long time and it has a really solid feel once it breaks. My Geissele has a hollow feel and just doesnt feel great. It builds up a bit too much for me before it breaks.

I'm not liking this Geissele (SSA-E) trigger too much. Anyone else feel the same?

:confused: Umm no, but I prefer a two stage.
It is a pretty awesome trigger, lMO.

Maybe it's an acquired taste.... like a nice fine 18yr Single Malt. ??

Nope. I love mine. Mine doesn't have a feel after it breaks. It just stops with no overtravel, which I love. I have no idea what "hollow" means. What weight were your JP triggers?

I'm also more of a two stage guy. Especially on an AR type rifle.

My SSA-E's break at 3 3/4 lbs VERY clean.
Two stage trigger feel and function different than a single stage.

The hollow feel lost me though.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. I also am a bit weird... I monkey knuckle it to my PIP joint. Ill give it some time...
The hollow feel I speak of is when it strikes the firing pin. My JP in my AR-15s has a more solid feel. Does it matter??? I think not...it still goes bang. Its just one of those things I love about my JP triggers. Cheers mates. Thanks

There can be +/- variance of 0.5 lbs and still be in spec. I really like my geisseles for 2 stage and Wilson combat, Timney and JP for single stage triggers.

To get to my point - you may have 4.0 lb SSA-E trigger? I have 5 SSA-E triggers, 3 break exactly at 3.5 lbs, 1 breaks at 4.0 lbs and 1 breaks at 3.0 lbs.

Call Geissele and they may be able to send you a new/different set of springs to try out?

AvsFan

Hmmm, it's my favorite trigger. I like it better than my KAC or even my Geissele DMR. But I am a 2 stage guy...

Maybe I just need to get used to it. I also am a bit weird... I monkey knuckle it to my PIP joint. Ill give it some time...
The hollow feel I speak of is when it strikes the firing pin. My JP in my AR-15s has a more solid feel. Does it matter??? I think not...it still goes bang. Its just one of those things I love about my JP triggers. Cheers mates. Thanks

Time will be the cure. It is different than what you're used to. I had the same problem the first time I got one. It won't take long. Let us know how you make out.

BR

^^^^ What Nik H said...
^^^^ What cal50 said...
^^^^ What smschulz said...but with 12yr Mac as times are tough now. :)

You wearing gloves by chance?

Time will be the cure. It is different than what you're used to. I had the same problem the first time I got one. It won't take long. Let us know how you make out.

BR

I like this advice. I love my JP triggers, and I prefer single stage triggers overall, but having shot my SD-E several hundred rounds has made me love that thing too. It has 2.5lbs in the first stage and 1lb in the last stage. I have also gotten used to the straight shoe, which I also did not like at first...if you don't like it after a few hundred rounds, drop a JP in.

I'm with the others, I really like the SSA-E trigger and have several of them because of it. Is this your first two stage trigger?

Im with the OP, i don't care for the G trigger. Two stage feels cumbersome. Kinda like going from a 1911 trigger to a hi-power, functions relatively the same, but feels different. Nothing wrong with it, but different, and i end up back with I'm used to.

I love them I have 1 in my 6creed and one in my 6.5 Grendel I love the feel of how they set and break might take a while to get used to from a single stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I think I know what you're talking about. I have two AR 15's that are almost exactly the same setup.
The two differences between them are the twist rates and the triggers, otherwise same everything. One has a Timmney single stage, the other is a Geissele SSA. They are two very different beasts. And I like them both very much. They are not free-floating precision rigs. My first shots with the single stage triggers are usually faster on target Than the Geissele triggers, when going from the slung rifle position. Because I don't have that first stage take up.
I am more precise though with the Geissele because the second stage breaks so lightly, i'm probably just as precise with the Timney, but the Geissele is actually faster for precision follow up shots.
And it can be a little "odd" to go from one trigger to the next, especially in the same range session, but you get used to it. It becomes automatic pretty quickly.
I don't have SSA-E, but for my next precision rig I will. The high speed DMR I use in my SASS was a bitch to get adjusted just right, took 1/2 a day, and I don't know if the faster lock time really helped that much as I'm a firm believer in follow through. But it is an AWESOME trigger!!
What type of AR are you running?
I wouldn't want the SSA-E on a combat or hunting type rifle, it feels to light to me. But then maybe that's just me. I like to be prone or on a bench with that one.

Most importantly, just practice with it. It'll become 2nd nature to you, and if you're precision shooting, it will improve you're groups.

Simply sounds to me that you prefer a single stage trigger. Jp is a great single stage trigger but a pain to set up.... I'd really recommend a Wilson Combat single stage TTU.... Even though they are advertised as 4lb triggers everyone I've checked breaks under 3.5 lbs and they are super crisp and reliable... Best drop in trigger IMHO especially considering the design of the springs to secure the units position vs set screws that others use.... Their 2 stage match is awesome too.... I actually prefer it to my Geissele triggers at this point.... Not saying the Geissele aren't great Cuz they are.... Triggers are so subjective.... Hamlund Tactical has a try a trigger program which is free... Maybe contact them and try a few different triggers out.... Sell your current trigger and buy what feels good to you.

I never really liked any of the Geissele triggers. Closest one I'd consider warming up to is the Hi-Speed models. I've always found at least some small amount of overtravel in the Geisseles and some creep. The Hi-Speed I heard can adjust most if not all of it out. The one I tried wasn't mine but it was the nicest of the Geisseles I've tried. I wish I could have played with the adjustments. If you want something kind of 2-stage-ish but not really, consider the AR Gold. It goes away from traditional AR 2-stages (more pull weight in the 1st stage) and feels more like a 1911 trigger for the AR. Practically indiscernible creep and overtravel. Otherwise, if you're looking for a single stage that might be better than the JP consider a Wilson TTU. Feels almost like a bolt action trigger to me.

Hey fellas. Im not liking this Geissele trigger too much. Anyone else feel the same? I ran JP single stage triggers in my guns(AR-15s-Down range) for a long time and it has a really solid feel once it breaks. My Geissele has a hollow feel and just doesnt feel great. It builds up a bit too much for me before it breaks.
The JP trigger is the best single stage AR trigger I've found (though I sent my lower to JP to have them install/tune it), but it's pretty closely followed by the Hiperfire 24E. The gee-whiz part about the 24E is that there is no adjustment needed in order to get it set up (which is not the case with the JP).

Last edited:
Yeah, the SSA-E is the best all around AR trigger IMO. I love a good single stage for speed and run n' gun stuff, but the SSA-E better across a range of engagement types and shooting positions. If I had to guess you are new to 2-stage triggers? Is so, you might just have to give it some time before you yank it out.

Hey OP, what type of shooting are you doing with your AR? Speed or precision? I don't like the SSA-E for running close drills, multiples, etc. I have the S3G in two light and handy builds, and it's the ticket for that type of shooting, short and crisp with minimal travel. My SSA-E runs in my MK12, exactly where I prefer it at but is still being swapped out for a DMR for fine tuning.

The CMC trigger is pretty sweet if you want to run single stage. I couldn't get used to my SSA-E, happened to try the CMC and switched the same day. The SSA-E is an awesome trigger, I just couldn't get used to it. Maybe I'd like the SD-E for the flat bow

ultrarunner7 the whole problem is this is a TWO-stage trigger as to where your JP was a SINGLE Stage trigger, I am very aware of your situation as I did the same thing once before. I had bought a gun one time without ever seeing it much less pulling the trigger but anyways after I got it I realized it had a TWO-stage trigger and shooting it @ the range was not the same for me. I then knew I was a SINGLE-stage trigger man but if you give it time and practice you just might like it, many do. Also from the many single stage triggers I have fired in my life I have found the JP Single stage trigger one of the best.

Last edited:
I prefer Wilson Combat triggers over the comparable Geissele products. I use the WC TTUs or factory installed KAC triggers in all of my ARs.

I think a big part of this is the two stage vs single stage issue.

Im having the opposite problem. All my guns (Garand, couple 03s, AR15, AR10) prior to my last purchase are two stage. My favorite trigger is the Giessele in my LMTMWS.

I just bought a Remington 700. Its a PWS M40A1 with a 3# single stage. Im really missing my mental prep time I get to perform during the first stage. The PWS rifle shoots better than any other I own but all my learned muscle memory sitting behind a rifle is a hinderance when positioned behind the Remington.

Thanks for the input fellas. The SSAE is in my GAP-10 308 Win and 260 Rem upper so obviously its a precision gun. Im guessing its around 4 lbs when it drops(which Im not really happy with). Sorry I didn't mention it as that's slightly imperative info.

Ive used JPs in my service guns(down range and training) going on about 7 years now. I picked up a Geissele Super 3 Gun from a prize table and didnt like it. My splits were faster with my JP trigger in those guns so I got rid of it.

Im aware the JP is a one stage and the Geissele is a two stage trigger. I have extensive amount of time behind 2 stage triggers(M110-SASS and OBR) and have no issue switching between a one stage and two stage trigger depending on the weapon system.

I did some load testing today and began to feel somewhat comfortable with it. I get good results when shooting it but its not perfect in my mind. I'm also going to drop my JP in my GAP-10 and see how it feels. Im sure Ill be pleased with it. If I like it, Ill just pick up another JP.

Thanks again mates and cheers.

Sounds like the JP may be the old friend you're looking for. It definitely comes down to familiarization, that's for sure.

If you get a chance, try a Geissele High-Speed Match if you're looking for a light two-stage trigger. The faster lock time and personalization capability might be exactly what you're seeking.

If you go to the Geissele site you will find all of the triggers that are being sold.
When you bring up a trigger near the bottom of the page you will find a link to the specification sheet.
The specification sheet will include a graph of what the trigger pull is like.

Here for example is a graph for the S3G (Super 3 Gun)
You can see it is a single stage trigger with a very short pull distance.
http://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/files/super-3-gun-trigger-s3g-pf.pdf

You can also compare it to the SSA-E
http://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/files/super-semi-automatic-e-trigger-pf.pdf