• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft ghillie - full suit vs partial

Ghillie Zen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
The Black Lodge
I've been a dealer for Tactical Concealment for awhile now and I am often asked my opinion on whether a full suit, like the "mamba", is better than a 2/3 style like the "cobra" or webtex ghillie cloak. My personal feeling is that the 2/3 style is better because it gives excellent coverage up to about 10 meters out and can be packed away quickly when moving through thick terrain or water obstacles.

The only notable advantage I can find with full military style suits besides the total coverage is the durability provided by the canvas/nylon reinforcements on the chest/elbows/knees. The extra durability is nice, but is it worth trapping yourself in a suit that is hard to get off in a hurry. You also have to deal with either wearing a second uniform underneath or completely removing the ghillie and changing to another uniform as needed.

My personal set up is a modified cobra with a crye field uniform. I modded the shirt with a closed chest system(cordura reinforced)and placed a side zipper entry and adjustable crotch strap on it.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.....

Re: ghillie - full suit vs partial

Ok here is my thought. The only purpose for wearing a ghillie is concealment. Any fast movements through any type of terrain will usually get you spotted. If anyone spots a fast bush they will know somthing is up. Why do something half ass? Full ghillie for me thanks.

As for getting out of a ghillie in a hurry. Only if im gonna get lucky. Do women find guys in ghillies attractive? I assume not otherwise there would be a calender.

Maybe high temps could make a 2/3 more comfortable. But I would take being undetected over comfort anyday.

I would like to see the pics of your modified Cobra. What roles are talking about using the ghillie in?...L.E. or Military applications?

i was thinkin today that a guy could mount a fake cardinal on a ghillie so that if someone spot yer movement running willy nilly thrru the foliage theyll think they just saw a little birdy flitting around.

Full Ghillie for graded stalks and "dog and pony shows". Any other time we usually deployed with veils and pack-veils.

Barring any "Secret-Squirrel" type open field stalks a veil will handle most concealment issues. This is why Snipers train for LONG RANGE accuracy.

I don't know what a "Mamba" and "Cobra" are beyond the GI-Joe characters. My veil and suit are made of crap I found around base.

cobra_rear_outside.JPG

cobra_front_outside.JPG

cobra_close_outside_450x600.jpg

here's the pics of the cobra mod. I'm not sure if this will work, never posted pics on the hide before, had to post pics on bogus site to get a url.

mods include:
adjustable sleeve closures
multiple adjustment points on hood
1 inch elastic bands sewn throughout body and hood
replaced male buckle ends with ghillietex ITW side mount
add-on sleeves w/ removable pads, adjustable sleeves, thumb loops
(the add-on sleeves are prototypes from Tactical Concealment. not available for public sales yet, but should be soon)

With the sleeves removed it MIGHT be ok for patrol work from the ORP into the FFP. The problem you run into is operational snipers carry a lot of crap on their backs. If you are doing an actual stalk, you spend a lot of time crawling. For crawling you want some protection from rocks, brambles, etc.

It looks like a well made piece of gear, but I don't think I would dump my ghillie for one.

moc_1_front_450x600.jpg

moc_1_back_450x600.jpg

moc_kneeling_450x600.jpg

lonewolf - these are pics of my full ghillie. full 1000d cordura coverage on legs, chest and elbow/forearms. has thumb loops, stirrups, crotch strap, removable padding throughout, paracord for garnish attachment, modded boonie w/ venting, back of shirt is made w/ tactical mesh, sleeve and leg opening have shock cord closures, etc.......

I think you have alot of good points, but the majority of my clients are LE and hunters. Many of them buy full suits, but I question whether or not it is overkill for their applications.

Not overkill, especially if you can dump a lot at the ORP. It's just that there is no perfect solution. In any of those pictures you would disappear in about 15 seconds of movement and freezing. The cobra set ups work, and especially if sleeves can be removed, hoods can be removed, or modified, and the total modularity can be worked with for any scenarios. Wow, if all but the live veg can be stuffed int a simple, lightweight carry pouch.

TC has great ideas, and great stuff!

There is no one answer for every person for every scenario for every given day. The Earth provides many answers. I try to start with the terrain.

I think 2/3 or 1/2 is better. One day I think I have the perfect idea and then I realize that the likelihood of an enemy sitting on a stool with binos while I low crawl from ammo box on a stake to ammo box on a stake so that I can fire a blank at him (within 2) is not very likely. Other times, I dream of having the perfect FFP, and a monster truck rolls onto my pos with 8 guys with MG's.

So, although I may have done nothing to help I may have demonstrated somewhat why this debate is endless. I enjoy it nevertheless...