• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 42, some will love me...

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    Picked up a Glock 42 from my buddy, Operator45 here on the hide, and I'm pretty impressed with it. It's identical to its big brothers (gen 4 minus the back strap option). For all that love Glocks, muscle momemory is apparent here, no new training scars which is exactly what you want in a CCW.... an instinctive reaction when face with a dynamic situation.

Ideally, I wish it was chambered in 9mm, but the .380 auto is very soft shooting, follow up shots are a easy task. I had no issues with Hornady's critical defense ammo.

Here's some comparison pics

2gwb6uv.jpg

hvcpzr.jpg

5ck2ag.jpg

apf2p.jpg

Are they going to offer a ( 1+ pinky finger grip, mag. plate ) Magazine option, like the other sub-compact Glocks ?

I was offered a 42 at my local shop yesterday, I can not believe how large this thing is for the caliber. I have a SIG P238 in 380 that I carry most days and it is extremely small in comparison to the G42.

I did pick up a G30S instead of the 42, to me both need to be carried outside of the pocket and I prefer the caliber and capacity advantage the 30S gives over the 42.

The 42 seems like the answer to the question no one asked to me after holding it. And I REALLY wanted it to be amazing.

Last edited:
    It would be nice to see them bring a single stack 9mm and 40 S&W out to compete with the S&W Shields. I'm not sure the 42 is worth it for those like myself that have a 26 or 27 ( My EDC) but I may have to pick on up for the "the heck of it" but I really want to wait it out and see if the 40 S&W comes down the road. However I see where they want to compete in the 380 market as it is the hot item right now. I hope to get my hands on for to see how it feels, but Im afraid when I hold it will want to come home with me so to speak.

Later tonight I'll attach another picture showing the thickness of the 42... which is considerably thinner then any other Glock.

I also picked up a SHTF Gear Ace 1 holster (one of the first companies to have a IWB holster on the market) and be happy to advise on it's quality and function.

Freaking darn them for not making this in 9mm. I wanted to be excited for this new single stack super concealable Glock and it's a freaking 380. The fact that is super soft shooting might be nice. Maybe if I got to try one at the range I'd be more impressed.

Are they going to offer a ( 1+ pinky finger grip, mag. plate ) Magazine option, like the other sub-compact Glocks ?

I asked the GLOCK guy at their booth at SHOT Show the very question. He stated that GLOCK felt the supplied magazine was fine. His very statement; "Any switch to a finger grip mag or +1 would have to come from Gaston".

So apparently the Factory thinks the current 42 is just fine.

I'm amazed they did a .380! Why not bring out a 9mm in the same package?

All of the folks at the Glock booth recited the same mantra when anyone asked about wHY the flat mags, NO finger rest mags , or why not a 9mm? "It shoots so smooth".

Of course it shoots SMOOTH...it's a whimpy three eighty!

Last edited:
    Bummer. Doesn't sound like a 9mm conversion or variant model will be forthcoming.

We can only hope... perhaps a thin walled mag would allow a 9mm to slip in but it's not happening with the factory kit.... and it would've been such a simple task to achieve! .380 for those that want to tame recoil and a 9mm for those that want more knock down (9mm and knock down power, there's something you don't really hear to much).

Regardless, if the price stays around $400, I truly believe it has a place in the CCW market.... lets not over look that it is a glock. It'll go bang every time:)

Last edited:
    FWIW, the Glock rep I spoke with at their SHOT show booth told me that a 9mm version would be coming out in the future when I asked about it. He said that it was probably a year away though...we'll see.

've been making fun of glock since they announced a .380 caliber pistol. This is the Glock that I really want to hate. Well . . that's a little strong, I really want to dislike it strongly.

However, after holding this and looking at the new pistol I do believe I will have to purchase one. This pistol is thin small light and feels good in the hand. It points like a Glcok should. A very thin glock . . Did I mention it is THIN! I really kind of like this pistol! It is almost . . Cute . . yes, I said it . . cute. Just kidding. On a serious note, if it runs reliably, this will be a god pocket pistol Rumor at SHOT was that Glock will be bring it out in a 9mm version in a year or so.

Shot Show 2014 [url]www.TexasGunTrust.com: Glock 42 .380acp pocket pistol - YouTube[/url]

Love the Glock, but since the Shield and that awesome trigger.....I just don't know. My wife has one and I am still stuck on my G23, but that Shield trigger is just. so. nice.

A 9mm version of this would be on my list, but I'd have to get it in hand first to make that decision. Maybe next year.

I handled one at the local gun store yesterday, and as the guy there said, it brings a whole new meaning to the term baby Glock.
    It is crazy small (like Sig P238 small) & light as anything.
    I personally prefer my weapons to be made by Germans, but it was rather impressive (for a Glock).
    It would easily fit in just about any reasonable pocket or be carried in just about any clutch or purse etc.
    I can see it being very popular for women and people wanting an almost not there gun.

I've got little to no use for 380 but if they came out with a 9mm version I might be persuaded. If they came out with a 40/357 single stack though I would be breaking out the check book.

I know ballistics, bullet construction etc means most calibers aren't particularly different but considering I'm set up on every other gun and for reloading to run 40 or 357 I'm not going to change everything to 9mm and especially 380 on a whim. 9mm ammo is cheap enough when you can find it at least. 380, not so much.

I tried one of these for the first time today. I went into it thinking Glock screwed up(like so many of you have already said.) Why the GDFH didn't this come out in 9mm!!!! So I thought I'd try it so i could hate it and be done.

(ahem) . . . . this is actually a fun little booger to shoot!!! I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 and that can snap a bit. This G42 is butter smooth to shoot!! I took some shots real quick at 50/60feet, and I'm comfortable making head shots. I would BARELY get torso shots with my BG380. I fully realize these pistol aren't really made for 50' shooting, but I like to know what limitations are.

For those like me, that carry Glocks regularly, it's just like being at home, you know the fire controls. field stripping it, one could see some difference such as shape of firing pin safety, different style trigger spring, only two pins for fire control in frame vs the three pins they've had since ~'02. But yeah, it's thin. It's between a S&W BG380 and BG Shield. If my phone weren't being stupid, I'd post some photos compared to a BG380.

In short, yeah. . . I'll have to buy one. Stupid gun habit!! :)

-G45

I tried one of these for the first time today. I went into it thinking Glock screwed up(like so many of you have already said.) Why the GDFH didn't this come out in 9mm!!!! So I thought I'd try it so i could hate it and be done.

(ahem) . . . . this is actually a fun little booger to shoot!!! I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 and that can snap a bit. This G42 is butter smooth to shoot!! I took some shots real quick at 50/60feet, and I'm comfortable making head shots. I would BARELY get torso shots with my BG380. I fully realize these pistol aren't really made for 50' shooting, but I like to know what limitations are.

For those like me, that carry Glocks regularly, it's just like being at home, you know the fire controls. field stripping it, one could see some difference such as shape of firing pin safety, different style trigger spring, only two pins for fire control in frame vs the three pins they've had since ~'02. But yeah, it's thin. It's between a S&W BG380 and BG Shield. If my phone weren't being stupid, I'd post some photos compared to a BG380.

In short, yeah. . . I'll have to buy one. Stupid gun habit!! :)

-G45

Agreed. I just picked up mine yesterday. I carry a P380 now and while it's a fine little gun it has it's issues. This little glock will fit the bill for me. When I can't have my 26 or 23 on me I will grab the 42. Problem solved.

When the 9mm comes out that will probably replace them all for EDC for me.

Handled the 42 I admit I was impressed with how small it actually is very thin and compact fit well. It needs what all Glocks need better sights I think a set of big dot sights would be perfect for the micro Glock.

Now make the same thing in 9mm and we have a winner.

Holding out for the next 30s.

Handled the 42 I admit I was impressed with how small it actually is very thin and compact fit well. It needs what all Glocks need better sights I think a set of big dot sights would be perfect for the micro Glock.

Now make the same thing in 9mm and we have a winner.

Holding out for the next 30s.

I held one for the first time today as well and had the same thoughts. Altho ill take mine in 40 please.

Held one today as well, really small, and yes they are saying next is a 9 and then a 40 after that! I too will have to wait for the 9.

I got to shoot mine today. I fired Magtech 90gr FMJ, Hornady 90gr Critical Defense and Barnes 80gr TAC-XPD. It's a sweet little gun although two issues came up.

1 - It would not cycle the 80gr Barnes Tac-XPD. It would cycle the slide back far enough to reset the trigger then rechambered the spent casing. It did it every time. I loaded the ammo in my P380 and it shot fine. My guess is the soft recoil of the XPD is a little too soft for the Glock. The other ammo types had zero malfunctions.

2 - The slide would not lock open on the last round with any of the ammo. This actually might be me. My P380 won't either. I shoot with a traditional competition 2 handed stacked thumb grip. I think I might be riding the slide release with my right thumb. If I shoot it one handed the lock functions just fine. No big deal for me. I don't use the slide release on reloads anyway.

Accuracy was very good. At 10 yards it's perfect. A double tap and one to the head was a piece of cake. Almost too easy. This gun is so soft recoiling my sights were not coming off target. By target I mean the small square center mass on an LE training target. It's literally just point and click. I could see the holds form on the paper as a fired.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I carry daily and while I would prefer to have my G23 or M&P on my hip that's not realisitc with dress slacks and polo shirts in Phoenix.

Last edited:
    I sold my 380 and would not consider another, seemed to me a good way to piss someone off, I carrry a Glock 32 or 33 in 357 sig for the most part. I would like to see the new 41 in 10mm!

I sold my 380 and would not consider another, seemed to me a good way to piss someone off, I carrry a Glock 32 or 33 in 357 sig for the most part. I would like to see the new 41 in 10mm!

For the most part I would agree but a Glock 32 is like strapping a brick to your side compared to most 380s. There is no way I could conceal a 32 or even a 27 with what I have to wear for work. Wearing a jacket in Phoenix most of the year is broadcasting that you're carrying. Even the 380s can be tough with slacks and a polo shirt (tucked in). Going in and out of meetings, sitting next to people in the boardroom, luncheons.......it wouldnt take long to be discovered. Very small guns have their place. It's not the gun for a run-n-gun engagement that's for sure but if I'm in or near my truck the 23 is in the console with 2 spare mags.

When the 9mm comes out I will be the first in line but until then I trust a 2 and 1 from a 380 will do the job.

For the most part I would agree but a Glock 32 is like strapping a brick to your side compared to most 380s. There is no way I could conceal a 32 or even a 27 with what I have to wear for work. Wearing a jacket in Phoenix most of the year is broadcasting that you're carrying. Even the 380s can be tough with slacks and a polo shirt (tucked in). Going in and out of meetings, sitting next to people in the boardroom, luncheons.......it wouldnt take long to be discovered. Very small guns have their place. It's not the gun for a run-n-gun engagement that's for sure but if I'm in or near my truck the 23 is in the console with 2 spare mags.

When the 9mm comes out I will be the first in line but until then I trust a 2 and 1 from a 380 will do the job.

Find some polo shirts that are a somewhat long or a few inches longer than what you have now, when you tuck them in, pull the tail out and let it fold over at your waist. The fold will cover up(hide the print)most of the full size pistols. That will only work with holsters such as the Comp tac Minotaur where you can tuck the shirt in between the holster and belt clips. After that, just have to move in a way that won't expose any signs of the pistol.

As for the 42, should have been a 9mm. Too big for a .380, feels good though. If you are looking for that size in a 9mm, check out the Kahr PM9.

Guess it'd be a different ballgame if I lived in Phoenix, I then probably would look for the smallest thing I could find

I really would like some real world numbers on the 9mm vs 380 in such a short barrel using modern ammo. I think some eyes will be opened. I like the 42. If I did not already have a LCP w/ laser. I would have a 42. The idea of all weapons having the same controls is pulling me that way. I prefer a 45 or 10mm but will always carry a 380 as a backup or primary when you can not conceal the others. That said I feel all pistols are tools to be used to fight your way to your Rifle or if that one fails your next Rifle.

Find some polo shirts that are a somewhat long or a few inches longer than what you have now, when you tuck them in, pull the tail out and let it fold over at your waist. The fold will cover up(hide the print)most of the full size pistols. That will only work with holsters such as the Comp tac Minotaur where you can tuck the shirt in between the holster and belt clips. After that, just have to move in a way that won't expose any signs of the pistol.

As for the 42, should have been a 9mm. Too big for a .380, feels good though. If you are looking for that size in a 9mm, check out the Kahr PM9.

I tried the muffin top approach. It just looks unprofessional and unkept for my environment. I had a PM9 and it was nothing but problems for me. After 2 trips to Kahr I gave up on it.

I use a Minotaur with my G23 and love it. It's very comfortable for daily use. When I'm in my street clothes I usually have the 23 or 26 IWB with my shirt untucked.

Comparison:

9mm vs 380 ACP For Self-Defense

I have biker type friends on the order of 275lbs that I have seen take punishment that would kill me and brush it off. I see a 380 vs a guy like this on the order of a .22 vs grizzly bear. Which equals a really big guy really pissed off. Honestly the only thing I have really seen work well on my large friend was Mace from a Deputy, at that point he was done.

Last edited:
    Got to look at the 380 glock yesterday, bigger than a keltec but smaller than a walther, felt good in hand too. BUT don't like spending more on ammo for less. Kahr and ruger still have me looking for a small carry gun. If it was in 9mm I probably would have bought it on the spot.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQE0pRbtmO4

Shot placement is key regardless of caliber. The .380 is still putting out a 90 grain projectile at 850+ fps (not a "man stopper")... Adrenaline may carry the aggressor for a minute but anyone hit would end up in the ER.

Last edited:
    We were talking about these today in the squad room. I must have been under a rock the past few months, because I totally missed this coming out. Looks like a winner! Already on my "Want" list.

Can anyone take a side-by-side picture with a 27 and/or an LCP? For off duty carry, I either carry a 27 in .40 or an LCP .380... and I would far prefer a Glock .380 when I am carrying small. So wondering how much smaller/lighter the 42 is? How does it compare to the LCP and the 27?

Great reviews and material above guys. Thanks for posting. Guess I need to read more gun magazines and less history books these days.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Can anyone take a side-by-side picture with a 27 and/or an LCP? For off duty carry, I either carry a 27 in .40 or an LCP .380... and I would far prefer a Glock .380 when I am carrying small. So wondering how much smaller/lighter the 42 is? How does it compare to the LCP and the 27?
    Sirhr

Here are some with a G26 and a Bodyguard. Hopefully these are helpful.

G26_G42 sides.jpg
    G26_G42 sights view.jpg
    G26_G42 stacked.jpg
    G42_BG380 sides.jpg
    G42_BG380 sights view.jpg

Last edited:
    thanks Glock45!! That's what I wanted. Not a lot smaller, but much thinner. Neat design. Definitely bigger than LCP, but there's a lot to be said for form factor and muscle memory of a Glock.

I'll be stopping by my favorite shop to check one out in person.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I will wait to see the 9mm version I just don't need to add another caliber .380 is more expensive than 9mm.. in my area any way.

For what it's worth... Stopped by my local gun shop this PM and handled one of these little Glocks. Bought it on the spot.

Bit bigger than my LCP, but also a much nicer gun to handle. Muscle memory for Glock users is right on. Only complaint is that the slide release takes a bit of pressure to release, but that may 'wear in.' I put a box of ammo through it when I got home and the gun is a little tack driver. Functioned like a Glock... in other words perfectly. No failures.

Just an edit... the sights are first rate. They are right off the bigger Glocks. Sight picture is outstanding. Again, many carry pistols skimp on sights. Not this one. Probably accounts for the accuracy... may not be more accurate than other small .380's, but the "Big Boy" sights make it a lot nicer to shoot.

One other edit... I keep thinking of other things. Both my other Glocks will close into battery with a strong palm heel-strike on the magazine. You seat that mag with a good hit and the slide closes w.out hitting the slide release. The .380 won't do that, not matter what. Again, that doesn't matter as I don't carry a spare mag off duty. But I thought I would mention it.

Drop-free magazine is outstanding. So many .380's don't have this. That said, I generally don't carry a spare mag when off duty, so perhaps it's a feature I don't need. But I like consistency and since both my duty G23 and my G27 (both .40's) have this feature, I like the fact that Glock went to the trouble to engineer this in. If you carry a Glock on duty or shoot one a lot, this gun is instantly familiar.

On Caliber, I have no issue with a .380. In a small package, it's just as effective as a 9mm. I don't plan on shooting it long distances. For me, the .380 will be just fine. But I can understand those waiting for a 9mm even if only for lower cost. But if you want a nice CCW/Off duty weapon, the .380 will do just fine.

Very happy with this little gun and think Glock did a great job with this. Thanks for folks above for their reviews, comments and photos. This is why I love SH!

Anyone want a good deal on a much-carried, rarely fired LCP? Just kidding. I never sell guns.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
    I'm suggesting one of these G42's for my wife to CC.

From what I've read and seen on videos it...

1. Is a very soft shooting pistol with minimal muzzle flip and a decent sized grip. That means my wife will train with it.

2. Has good sights and a longer sight radius than most 380's. That means it'll be easier for her to hit what she's aiming at.

3. Has that familiar Glock feel and safe action. I don't want her to have to remember to take off a safety under the stress of a assault.

4. Needs to be fully broken in and tested to the extreme. That's my job, ha.

Last edited:
    Steve123. Funny you bring that up, because I was thinking that one of these would be perfect for my better half. She has a S&W revolver now. Shrouded hammer .38. She doesn't like it because it's heavy. I was thinking about getting one for her.

I'll let you know how she does shooting this. But I think you are right on...

Cheers,

Sirhr

x3 for the wife CCW...she will be getting one here in a couple weeks for her birthday. If the local shop has one in stock, I am definitely going to try and get her to shoot it. I love my glock, but as others have mentioned to me, its better for her to pick out her gun.

Its amazing to me, how, just a couple...what...millimeters can make such a DRASTIC change in the thickness of a gun...those side x side shots by Glock45 are tits!! Thanks for those btw...

Got the little 42 this weekend!

My wife and I only shot 13 rounds on Saturday because the only ammo we could find was expensive self defense ammo and we wanted to save the rest for carry for now. First impression was awesome though.

Then today I lucked out and found dies, brass, bullets and powder to make up some reloads which I tested this evening. All went well.

I'm super impressed with the G42 as a whole! The pluses I outlined in my previous post exactly describe what I like about this pistol. So far it's been surprisingly accurate, reliable, easy to hold, easy to point, extremely soft shooting, with very low recoil and muzzle rise. So much so I think I could score well in our local IDPA match with it.

The wife really likes it too.

I'm ordering 1000 bullets tomorrow so she can get to training with it.