• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glocks Work. Period. End of Story.

We seem to have different groups.
Group A,... wants a gun to go bang every-time cost very little, an be able to hit a coke can at 50 -100yds w/o every time w/o issue.

Group B,... wants a gun to look at, an be at least a 100 year old design.

Group C,... wants a gun that is all bling eye candy, & kept under glass.

Group D,... wants a cheap an reliable gun just for CC & could give a shit what it looks like as long as it goes bang, fits the hands an there are lots of off the shelf parts to make it fit that person.

I'm of group D, with a little group A thrown in, as a freebee bonus.

No, I just see a finely machined steel firearm with dozens of hours of gunsmith tweaking and customizing but somehow a (cheaper) plastic gun with CNC machined parts, barely any tuning and fitting work beside a $200 stipple job that costs more.

I like both for what they are. I understand why my custom 1911 is worth what I paid. I just look at some custom Glocks and the math doesn't add up.

I'll say a stock Glock is a great bargain compared to a lot of old steel pistol designs which are often in need of a reliability job when brand new.

I know a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I don't think many master gunsmiths would be audacious enough to charge those prices for that amount of work.

Mostly Glocks...one HK MK23

I'm late to this party and I have NOT read a single reply beyond the original post.

Here goes.

I am NOT a Glock fan. For no other reason than in my honest opinion they are ugly as a shit on a stick. But they work. I know it and you know it. Anyone who has any firearm knowledge whatsoever should know that Glocks work. I can't speak to their "accuracy" as I've only shot a few but the few I did shoot, shot well enough. They are NOT inspiring, they are NOT a fashion statement, they are NOT pretty. But I'd buy one without hesitation. When friends and such ask me "what gun should I buy" I tell them to go hold a Glock first. If it feels good in their hands, buy it. That's really the only reason to not buy one.

And my favorite cartoon:

Reactions: steve123
I was working on my new Glock project last night.

I cut the frame for a Lone Wolf extended magazine release, chopped the grip, undercut the trigger guard and did a little bit of reshaping.

It's a 21 so a bit larger than a 17 and while I have large palms, I have slightly stubby fingers so even with the extended magazine release I still have to rotate my grip a bit to hit it comfortably.

With the grip chop I need to have a frame shape that locks in to my hand and a Glock let's me do that with files.

Looking at the magazine grip extensions available now, I can get my full pinky on the grip so I should be ok with my 10mm conversion barrel.

I need to bevel the magazine well still and then do my stipple.

The stipple isn't because the grip is ineffective, just that the borders are gone due to the chop and there are file marks in several spots so I need to clean up the look and try to improve the feel and grip if I can.

Hopefully the result will look good, fit my hand and be the gun I want it to be. I'll probably have 5-10 hours of grip work in it and no expectation that it will do anything but feel good to me.

It will never cost me anything beside parts and my own labor.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I don't know if it's vanity but I don't want an ugly gun.

Glocks are purposeful and a bit plain but not ugly.

I think a 1911 is a good looking gun but I've seen some that were Bubba'd very badly and look like garbage. They can also be stunningly beautiful functional art when a master spends time on the aesthetic as well as the fit and function.

Interesting how some people think no matter the item it has look an 11 on a 10 scale.
Me I could care less what something looks like, I'm all about it's performance over everything else.

Life's too short for an ugly gun. Or woman. I want performance AND aesthetics.

You can live your life anyway you like though. ?

An ugly girl can get it done but I would rather surround myself with beauty.

When it comes to guns, nothing makes me go ugly except California law which makes my ARs "featureless", like a burkha on a beauty queen but fortunately easy to reverse when I become free.

My Glocks aren't ugly but I try to dress them up a little with some custom touches that I try my best to pull off cleanly.

My collection does have a few guns that aren't always beautiful but I try to do a little mix and match when there are several variants, US parts and 922(r) to worry about. It can turn out pretty nice if you try to simplify and reinforce the basic lines.

To me a gun is but a tool, nothing more nothing less, safe queens done reside here. Never had anything I've killed complain about getting killed by an ugly gun. Much like all other tools, I don't care what it looks like just how it preforms. Yes I also have Snap-on, Matco, Fluke, (an many other names that most here, have never heard of)but I also have Challenger, Craftsman, an some Chicom stuff. If it's in my shop it works the best for me, for the intended task. Been in many shops that had all the Gucci tools, but the quality of work turned out did not match the tools,...

Last edited:
When the tools for customizing a 1911 are a machine shop and the tools for customizing a Glock are a wood shop, I have to be a carpenter when I work on a Glock.

I'm more of a machinist than a carpenter so Glock work isn't hard, it just is less exact.

This was my first glock. It was/is just plain bad newz downrange. A lifesaver. Would recommend this glock to anybody.

20190407_183233.jpg

This was my second glock, it did real good too....

20190407_184031.jpg

Sunday School Carry to Church glock

20190407_184600.jpg

Last edited:
Update: Put another 1,000 rounds through my Gen 5 Glock 17, with Apex Trigger and Truglo sights. It works. 33 yards and putting rounds on center mass IDPA target, putting rounds through every hole at 7 yards. Bill Drills...cleaning the B-8 Bullseye in times that are good for me, under 2.5 seconds from surrender position and draw.

Yup they just work.

:)

Glocks are the small block chevys of the hand gun world period ! Hey you glock haters are going to hate don't fucking buy one !
I have a glock 19 with match barrel np3 coated internals and running cherry balmz grease, this mother fucker runs and runs and runs. Clean it about every 1000 rnds, don't have to but just do.

Hey if the shtf and there are no more firearms resources out there you will be crying in your soup wishing you bought one, lol.

I was told flat shoe triggers really were not the best design for glocks, I replaced mine with Lone Wolf trigger shoe's and love them !

Last edited:
I just bought my first Glock yesterday. It's a Glock 17 gen 5. I've been a M & P guy for quite a while and I know that Glocks just work and they lock-up tighter than the M & Ps I've used. I'm excited to take it out and shoot it.

Reactions: jff_stvns
Not crazy about running extended mag releases in the heaver glock 45's. I have had more issues with with the weight of the weapon pressing the release and picking up gun and mag slipped right out, Fuck that ! standard mag releases for me.

I just got 500 180 grain Hornady XTP bullets and 10mm loading dies. I also have a non-captured recoil spring guide rod on the way from eBay and 22lb springs coming from Brownells.

With my Storm Lake 6" barrel I'll be pushing those 1,300+ fps and in ballistics tests, they seem to hold together well and penetrate deep at higher speeds than many .40 bullets.

I haven't ordered a new connector yet but there are a couple I want to try.

I just got 500 180 grain Hornady XTP bullets and 10mm loading dies. I also have a non-captured recoil spring guide rod on the way from eBay and 22lb springs coming from Brownells.

With my Storm Lake 6" barrel I'll be pushing those 1,300+ fps and in ballistics tests, they seem to hold together well and penetrate deep at higher speeds than many .40 bullets.

I haven't ordered a new connector yet but there are a couple I want to try.
Bear hunting? :LOL:

I don't really care that Glocks are ugly, they are good pistols. The reason I don't own one is that I don't care for the ergonomics, but the P80 frames I've handled seem to address that, so I may do one of those

I shot a Glock in competition for a long time. I made Master class in USPSA with one and also won several GSSF divisions and got Glocks from those wins. The Glock is a miracle of engineering. Such a simple design. Very reliable. Very easy to work on. So many aftermarket parts.

But as I experimented with other pistols, I found that there were others that fit my hand and shooting style better.

For example, I push my hand very high into the beavertail of pistols to get leverage on the gun. My hand would sometimes push so high that the Gen 3 Glock slide would hit my hand. I would also sometimes accidentally hold down the slide release and the gun would not lock back on an empty mag. Also, it is faster in competition for me to charge the gun using the front of the pistol slide. The Gen 3 Glock did not have front cocking serrations and is very hard to charge from the front.

I also like pistols that I can MAKE fit my hand (e.g., palm swells that fill my hands when shooting) instead of my hand having to fit the Glock (i.e., having to fit my hands to the flat surfaces of the Glock grips).

These are issues that are common to ME. But for me, an extremely proficient handgun shooter, these problems did not go away. In some cases, they got worse. I just was not a good match for the gun.

Taken together, I moved on to CZs. The ergonomics are such that there is almost no way that I can make any of the above mistakes. The CZ also has a heavy frame and a light slide which has recoil advantages over the Glock with a light frame and heavy slide. But the CZ weighs a TON and is much harder to work on.

Last edited:
It will take me years to go through 1,000 rounds. At that rate, I think my elbow is safe.

I tried Glock 6 times before they stuck. The final straw was shooting a class in heavy sand that involved a lot of prone shooting. My 1911 didn’t work with sand in it but the Glock guys kept going. I am a pistol guy and I own three pistols. Two Glock 19s and a Glock 48. The Gen 5 19 is very accurate. The FBI gives a presentation where they claim it’s as accurate as a Springfield Professional out to 50 yards. I believe it. Most people just can’t shoot well enough to tell. The Gen 5 is probably the most reliable handgun ever made—that’s the FBI conclusion.

I’m not a fanboy I’m just tired of trying 30+ guns. I picked a good one and now I make it work.

Reactions: Leftie
I'll grant that Glock pistols lack much of the aesthetic beauty of some other firearms such as the Colt Python. People rarely buy Glocks because of their looks or personality. They buy them because of their reputation for reliability, durability, and service life. There are plenty of valid reasons for buying firearms such as the art work in the machining of the piece, accuracy, history of the firearm design, looks, size, price, durability, and on and on.

Whatever reason someone uses to buy a given firearm is their choice, and they get to live with the consequences of that decision. I buy all sorts of different firearms, and avoid buying plenty of other firearm designs, even though there is nothing wrong with a design I avoid...I just prefer other firearms for various reasons.

Far too many people come up with all sorts of screwy reasons to either buy or avoid certain firearms when all they need to do is admit that it was nothing other than personal preference that drove their decision.

I'm not a fan of the Sig P series of pistols. I readily admit they are plenty accurate, durable, reliable, and reasonably priced. I just prefer other firearms. It is the same for the Browning Hi-power pistol. I have owned a number of Browning Hi-powers, and just couldn't get to where I liked the trigger reset. Admittedly, the trigger reset is a very small reason to have a personal preference, but I admit to my personal preference, and so I spend my money on other guns.

I have owned quite a few Glocks in addition to other firearms. Glocks have both their advantages, and disadvantages.

Reactions: PBWalsh
So I was shooting yesterday and putting rounds down range and all the sudden my slide kept locking back with rounds still in mag.

So I broke it down to see what the hell was going on and discovered the Vickers extended mag release spring broke !

Anyone ever heard of such a weird thing happening ? I would not think hard spring steel failing and wondered if it wore threw or sheared.

From what I can see it plain ass failed and just snapped off at the bend, crazy !

The pisser is this part was NP3, and from second photo you can see where the coating wore off probably due to lack of cleaning before coating.

Not going to mention the company but Im sure you can put two and two together.

Yes Glocks do work but always remember any part can fail in any gun especially after market parts, just saying.

Here's another issue I had with my Glock 19, had a issue with fail to fire do to light primer strikes.

Come to find out the upper slide after market backing plate was out of spec, the recess were the striker spring set in was not deep enough causing the striker spring to not get its full release.

It took me a minute to figure that out after replacing all springs with new wolf springs and finally talking to a guy at the range who told me to check the backing plate.
20190505_082643 (2).jpg
20190505_082755.jpg

Attachments

• 20190504_113541.jpg
    20190504_113541.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I tried Glock 6 times before they stuck. The final straw was shooting a class in heavy sand that involved a lot of prone shooting. My 1911 didn’t work with sand in it but the Glock guys kept going. I am a pistol guy and I own three pistols. Two Glock 19s and a Glock 48. The Gen 5 19 is very accurate. The FBI gives a presentation where they claim it’s as accurate as a Springfield Professional out to 50 yards. I believe it. Most people just can’t shoot well enough to tell. The Gen 5 is probably the most reliable handgun ever made—that’s the FBI conclusion.

I’m not a fanboy I’m just tired of trying 30+ guns. I picked a good one and now I make it work.

I grew up shooting 1911s, and they still hold a very special place in my heart (and on my hip, for that matter). As much as I hate to say it, Glock really did get it right for 98% of applications in their design, particularly with the 19. There's a reason that they are nearly ubiquitous in the marketplace for law enforcement, and with handguns especially, the shooter is much more commonly the "weak link" in the accuracy equation...

I am interested in seeing what happens with Sig's P320 and P365 pistols, as the fire control unit component and the ability to change out slides and frames at will does one-up Glock currently, and they seem to be reliable so far...

In the end, it's all really dictated by your requirements for a pistol, and Glocks are the "ugly Goldilocks" gun for the majority of shooters.

Often these "discussions" appear to be just like listening to old farts bicker over Ford VS Chevy. Plenty of organizations (military, law enforcement, manufacturer, gun writers) have tested various pistols (Glocks, Sig, Beretta, FN and plenty of others) under far more onerous conditions and with many more rounds than I want to spend. Some pistols work great, some pistols have issues. Even these organizations don't agree on which pistol is the most accurate, most durable, most reliable, lowest cost per unit, etc, etc. There is seldom any commonality in their conclusions because the parameters of their tests vary from test to test.

I guess my point is that if they can't agree which is "best" how would anyone not a part of those tests be expected to come to any better conclusions?

The great thing about our ability to choose which firearm we want to spend our money on is that we can use our individual preferences to make our decision. Not everyone will ever agree that Glock/Sig/Beretta/1911/HK/whatever is the best gun. So buy whatever you want, and accept any consequences that accompany that decision.

Don't blame or praise me if your gun does or doesn't work, because I didn't buy it. Blame or praise the person who bought it.