• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GM Recalling 1.5 Million Vehicles for Fire Hazard

G

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/business/09recall.html?src=mv

DETROIT — General Motors on Tuesday said that it was recalling 1.5 million cars and trucks from the 2006 to 2009 model years because their heated washer-fluid system could short circuit and cause a fire.

G.M. said that it was telling dealers to permanently disable the heated washer-fluid system, and that each affected owner would receive $100 to compensate for the loss of the feature.

About two-thirds of the vehicles were recalled two years ago for the same problem, but G.M. says it has received reports of overheating in modules that had new wiring installed under that recall. G.M. later stopped offering the heated washer-fluid system because the supplier that made it, Microheat, filed for bankruptcy and was liquidated as a result of the 2008 recall.

“This was a unique technology available from only one supplier, and that supplier has stopped manufacturing, which left no opportunity to collaborate on an improved design,” Jeff Boyer, G.M.’s executive director of safety, said in a statement. “We want to be clear that the voluntary payment to customers is for the loss of the feature, not the recall.”

The recall covers 15 models: the 2006 to 2009 Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS and Hummer H2; the 2007 to 2009 Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Acadia, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon and Saturn Outlook; the 2008 to 2009 Buick Enclave and Cadillac CTS; and the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse.

G.M. said customers would start getting letters explaining the recall this month but could contact their dealer at any time to schedule the repair.

G.M. said it had received reports of five fires but none involved injuries or crashes. All but 163,115 of the affected vehicles are in the United States.

The recall comes a day after Chrysler said it was recalling about 700,000 vehicles to fix brake or wiring problems and at a time of increased attention on vehicle defects because Toyota’s problems with unintended acceleration.

Re: GM Recalling 1.5 Million Vehicles for Fire Hazard

Great, another GM created problem that the taxpayers get to pay for.

I don't see how GM can survive this one but then again if they can screw up and catch a water bottle on fire, they can do pretty much anything.

Just when I tried to go American. I'm starting to miss my Acura.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just when I tried to go American. I'm starting to miss my Acura. </div></div>

I've owned 13 GM cars in my life and will never own another. I now own German, Ford, and a few Japers.

I pushed my first car miles when I was in high school. It was a buick, and the thing would keep breaking down. First time it broke down on me, it was 4 miles outside the warranty, and they would not fix the transmission. After that, I swore off GM cars, and you guessed it, I have never bought a GM vehicle again, and never will.

My dad used to be a truck driver for Ryder (yellow trucks) hauling GM cars from the depot back in the 80s He would tell me coming out of the factory they would not even run, leaving it to the dealer to fix.

After it became government motors, even more so never again.

That is hilarious old gray one, if they can muck up getting a water bottle to catch on fire LOL !

I spent many years working in and around the auto industry. And one of the first things I noticed was even when comparing dealers of similar size, was the fact that GM and Ford dealerships often had e or even 3 times the number of service writers working in the service lanes compared to toyota and honda. And also that a much higher percentage of the those coming in and out of the toyota and honda service lanes were scheduled maintanance calls. Ford had a recall like this about 5 years ago on the cruise control on there f150. Ill never forget the look on the customers face after the service writer explained that they fixed it. And the customer said well it still doesn't work. And he responded with well yea that's the fix, ford doesn't have the parts manufactured yet so the fix is to deactivate it. This was on a truck with 10miles on it. You could imagine how happy this guy was. I managed several rent a car locations and worked with all the dealers and we would get the info regarding a lot of these recalls well before the consumer and often times even before the dealer because of the insane volume of cars we purchased each year. Honestly this is nothing new. In he past 6 years this is probably the 5th major recall I've seen regarding something in a car igniting. Do any of you remember the ford recalls on fords catching fire when they were off!

I wonder if GM would like to hire my nephew. He can mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer. Maybe he could be their CEO.

Only a sucker would buy anything GM. MOPAR's are about the same these days. No more of my 'car' money goes to any company that took bailout funds.
Panty 6 and I have agreed on a nice sedate little Ford Fiesta. Corporate Lime Green should be fine!

ford-fiesta-s2000-19_800x0w.jpg

Of course I would be happy with the more sedate version of the '11 Sport too

ford-fiesta-sport_800x0w.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do any of you remember the ford recalls on fords catching fire when they were off!</div></div>

Yeah, I do.

My grandfathers car was a Mercury Grand Marquis, and he had it parked in the garage. It burned the car, the garage, and his workshop next to it. Lost everything, and as usual, the "insurance" paid him a pittance in return.

Add to that, the 'luck' I've had with 4 Fords that I've owned,,, yeah I'll get something else.

I've no problem with the idea of running errands with a deuce-n-ahalf. I don't need fast, just get me there.

All the manufacturers have had major recall problems in their history. I went through a lot of GM products before I said screw it and went to toyota and honda. And you know what after a decade of those two manufacturers I have yet to see the inside of a service garage. Not once. My toyota has 85K on it. All I've done is change the oil and twice a year swap winter tires for all season. Shit my breaks still have 50% front and rear at 85K!! And unlike my impalas and grand prix the breaks wear even front to back.