• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gong To Sniper Selection...

CommonSense

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2013
I'm Going to Sniper Selection in my battalion. I'm looking for advice, tips, recommendations, and suggestions from SNIPERS, PREVIOUS CANDIDATES, and KNOWLEDGABLE VETERANS ONLY!. No POGS or CIVILIANS that have NO EXPERIENCE in what I NEED TO KNOW IOT increase my ability to become selected! DONT GIVE ADVICE IF YOU ARE A "SELF-PROCLAIMED-INTERNET-SNIPER."
ME AS A CANDIDATE: I'm U.S. ARMY, I'm an 11B MOS, Expert shooter, 75-75-75+ PT Test soldier that volunteered and was recommended by my bat. to go to selection for a SNIPER section slot. What would you recommend to me to increase my potential to be selected? What should I do to prepare? thank you in advance.

My advice:
Learn some humility.
Keep your mouth shut and ears open.

You can learn something from anyone.

By the style and content of your post, it appears that you want a tab for bragging rights, they will weed you out for that. I see failure in your future with your attitude.

What would you recommend to me to increase my potential to be selected?
Don't yell as much as you just did there. Gaining others attention is only a good thing if its justified and not from an act of stupidity.

What should I do to prepare?

Drink less caffeine?

funny-demotivational-posters_24.jpg

ten letters :D

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing I would add is to remember that just because you make it into a Sniper Plt or Section, however the army breaks it down, you are not a Sniper until you've graduated the course. Even if you do make it to school and pass a lack of humility is still one of the biggest things that alienates Snipers from their higher command.

My advice:
Learn some humility.

By the style and content of your post, it appears that you want a tab for bragging rights, they will weed you out for that. I see failure in your future with your attitude.

I agree with this guy.

Having been a SSL ... I avoided candidates like yourself religiously. That attitude screams immaturity and lacks any signs of professionalism. Two characteristics that are a must for all B4s.

And your PT score is way too low. 90s across the board to even come to selection. If you drop the ego it may reduce your run time a bit.

I'm nothing but an ANG E-3/Pilot Candidate that got medically washed out, but a First Sergeant gave me a wonderful piece of advice he reserved for all officer candidates that I've carried with me to this day:

"Never miss a good opportunity to shut the fuck up."

Good luck getting your tab.

My battalion required a 300 pt score to try out. You've got a most of the pog's your talking about would straight smoke you on pt. You won't make it, you're immature, arrogant and seem to lack a sense of teamwork. Your common sense also seems low, as you could just walk up to the section leader and ask him what you need to work on. Instead, you post on the Internet to let everyone know your going to try out. Btw, standing out is not a good thing for a sniper.

Not to mention that you couldn't post in the right sub forum...

Not to mention that you couldn't post in the right sub forum...

Not the responses I was expecting. My fault for hurting the sensitive ones feelings. I can see how that may appear as a BAD First post/ BAD first impression... which it may have been. I get irritated when on forums members think they are "subject matter experts" simply because of their belonging to the forum. I see it all the time. My PT is fine ( above 75-75-75 is what the "+" was all about). You seem to have me all figured out don't you Delta 4-3. Were you even in Delta? 11B? probably not.... I don't know the layout of this forum yet either so if this is in the wrong place my fault. Moving on: Still seeking valuable advice from people that could support my current position since I presume some of you on here likely are experienced in this field. Those of you whom would be so kind as to "cast pearls before swine" it would be appreciated. I just got home from a not-so-fun deployment in Afghanistan so I'm still in the pissed off phase of being home/ reintegration.

Last edited:
I think you've been given some good advice already, and now your just making excuses and ignoring it.

My advice:
Learn some humility.

This.

We had someone dropped the 2nd day due to an attitude.

Not the responses I was expecting. My fault for hurting the sensitive ones feelings. I can see how that may appear as a BAD First post/ BAD first impression... which it may have been. I get irritated when on forums members think they are "subject matter experts" simply because of their belonging to the forum. I see it all the time. My PT is fine ( above 75-75-75 is what the "+" was all about). You seem to have me all figured out don't you Delta 4-3. Were you even in Delta? 11B? probably not.... I don't know the layout of this forum yet either so if this is in the wrong place my fault. Moving on: Still seeking valuable advice from people that could support my current position since I presume some of you on here likely are experienced in this field. Those of you whom would be so kind as to "cast pearls before swine" it would be appreciated. I just got home from a not-so-fun deployment in Afghanistan so I'm still in the pissed off phase of being home/ reintegration.

You seem to be easily flustered and very defensive over nothing as well as want to prove something to us.

The first will have you make huge mistakes for not thinking clearly. The second will ensure you never learn to remedy the first. The third will get someone killed.

PT/shooting is combined, maybe half of the coarse.

Those above that said something to the effect of shut the f up and keep your ears open were right thou maybe not giving their advice in the most tactful way. Take the advice for what its worth and good luck. No matter how good you are there will always be someone better and knowing that keeps you humble. The sniper field is not just shooting anymore and most of it is observing! So to reiterate the first part of my post being silent and watching could be your profession from here on out and that's a great place to start.

Again good luck.

Might want to spend some time reading around on the forum here. This is the first forum I have been on that you don't have a lot of arm chair commandos commenting on every thread based on what they read on the internet. Most everyone here knows about the subject of the thread they post in. Also would't say you hurt the "sensitive" ones feelings as your first thread, let alone post, on this forum came off pretty dickish.

Sorry if you read this and wasted your time since I am just a pesky civilian and not a current or former military sniper.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that your presumption that civilian shooters aren't worth talking to is both wrong and reflective of a bigger problem you have.

That said, have a look around the site. There are civi's here that stack rounds at 1K+ like most people shoot at 100. Up to you whether or not you could stand to learn from someone with that kind of skill.

Delta 4-3 was my call sign. I was 11b in the 82nd and 2/75, also a SOTIC grad with deployments to Sadr city and Helmand lugging an M24. I'd still be doing it if I wasn't 100% disabled from frag. Oh yeah, and the youngest e-5 in the battalion with a PT score that didn't drop below 300 until after I the shrapnel went through my throat, shoulder, chest cavity, and the full length of my spine.

9PAnEfw.jpg

If you had questions that you want answers to, and can present them in a manner that represents your service in a positive light, I would be glad to answer them.

OP, may I suggest three more years of progressively responsible work experience.

I love this forum.
I'm a civilian....I spend time with a lot of elite athletes as part of my job....a lot of time.
I see athletic talent, humility, arrogance and determination in folks daily.
Arrogance will chew you up- so drop it, you're just a guy who is lucky enough to call himself a US Soldier.
Get in shape, run, don't buy into fitness fads, run some more, quit chasing skirt for a while, drop the arrogance, eat sensibly, hydrate, lay off the video games, read a few good books, go to bed early and wake up early, run a bit more, lay off the sauce and, here it comes.....strive to be the man that you want to be rather than bragging about the man that you are.
Don't get butt-hurt from a forum

Good luck with your pursuits.

Shouldn't you be on a run?

PS- if you're ever in the Pacific Northwest- send me a PM....I'll introduce you to some civies that will humiliate you behind a rifle...

Delta 4-3- thanks for your service and sacrifice

Last edited:
No sacrifice here brother, I'm still mobile!
I almost screwed myself on getting selected because of a secret lack of humility. I didn't boast, or act better than anyone, but I pushed myself to puking on the pt test to show them I was the pt stud they were looking for. Guess what happened an hour after the pt test? That's right, "ruck up!" I am a pretty poor Rucker anyway because I'm 5'10" with medium length legs. If I didn't have the best, most motivating battle buddy, I would have been back in a line company that same afternoon.

Maturity and leadership are huge considerations for the SSL deciding whether he wants you or not.

No sacrifice here brother, I'm still mobile!

Good to hear....but anyone who has had to say goodbye to family members at deployment and has taken it a step further by spilling their blood in the line of duty has made a sacrifice in my book...thanks again.

Good to hear....but anyone who has had to say goodbye to family members at deployment and has taken it a step further by spilling their blood in the line of duty has made a sacrifice in my book...thanks again.

My pleasure, thank you. I feel it has evened out quite nicely since I'm a stay at home dad now to three little girls. However, when they are all teenagers I'll be begging God to deploy me again lol.

Agreed. But note that this could also apply to civilians....Like to hundreds of thousands in Syria, and still counting.

OP, don't sell civilians short just because they are not eligible for Boy Scout badges. Our best snipers learn from them, regularly.

C.S., please...: ALL, before & after serving, are civvies_ like or not_
Some, even among those who served in your same area of interest, could be able&glad to answer to your questions without the need to be utterly compelled to proof anything to anyone, outside the know-how free-charge offered to you _
Take it easy:it will be easier_

I suggest you keep off the we be someone complex. I can't say for army sniper school. However I do know a good deal of people who went through the usmc sniper school. With your pt scores you will be hammered into the ground and fail. Hell I was running scores like that that back when I was in ROTC. You should open your ears and mind to the people who are here. Knowledge is knowledge no matter where it comes from just so long as its true. I bet you one of these guys on here have more knowledge on the subject then what the army will teach you.

90% of the civilians on this sight can outshoot me, and proove it repeatedly in matches. 99% can out perform me physically. Most of them can probably talk on the radio without cussing too.

Most of them can probably talk on the radio without cussing too.
Nope. Tried that. When you are polite the people on the other end rarely believe that the situation is urgent.

Last edited:
Nope. Tried that. When you are polite the people on the other end rarely believe that the situation is urgent.

Funny how that works isn't it? Poor candidate, the feeling of getting selected, then going to sniper school to find out you are now a commo guy that carries a lot of extra weight and an heavier weapon, describing the scene you've been staring at for days to 19 different captains and lt's because they all want to be in thenknow....

Delta 4-3 was my call sign. I was 11b in the 82nd and 2/75, also a SOTIC grad with deployments to Sadr city and Helmand lugging an M24. I'd still be doing it if I wasn't 100% disabled from frag. Oh yeah, and the youngest e-5 in the battalion with a PT score that didn't drop below 300 until after I the shrapnel went through my throat, shoulder, chest cavity, and the full length of my spine.

9PAnEfw.jpg

I'm glad you are still here.

Nicholas, thank you. Graham, it was theirs. I have had the primer housing of a 40mm HEDP pulled out of my arm between my bicep and tricep as well. If someone tells you that you couldn't shoot the primer out, off hand....just ignore them.

I have had the primer housing of a 40mm HEDP pulled out of my arm between my bicep and tricep as well. If someone tells you that you couldn't shoot the primer out, off hand....just ignore them.
Ouch. You are developing quite a scrap collection.

Ouch. You are developing quite a scrap collection.

It doesn't hurt as bad when your drinking. But, you do get bumped back down to E-4 if you do that kind of thing on range 44 at night when you're not supposed to be there.

Dude... it's not about your PT score. You should be able to max the PT test, or the RPFT, simply as a byproduct of being in excellent condition. You are going to have to shoot, stalk, identify targets, etc. when you are dog-tired and hungry. If you're not in excellent condition, you will fail. The purpose of Selection is to assess the character and conditioning of the soldier, before investing in them. If you have an attitude, or think you are good enough already, you will be dropped. If you fall behind on ruck marches or can't concentrate during an activity because you're tired, you will be dropped. If you can't control your anger, or your reactions to criticism, you will be dropped. If you can't present a professional appearance and deliver concise information when you're in a bad mood, you will be dropped. If you can't listen and think critically, you will be dropped. I was a B4, and a Team Leader, and I have selected and dropped soldiers based on the above and much more. We want to see a hard-worker, who wants to earn an opportunity to learn a fascinating skill set and work with other professionals in a challenging environment. If you're one of those kids who looks at being a Sniper as a glamorous career bump, you are going to be sorely disappointed at how hard the work is, and how little credit you will get.
I'm not saying you can't do it, but you are going to be more successful if you are an open book, who is focused on working however hard it takes to be a credit to your unit, by being selected for specialized training. Much of this has been said or hinted at above, but being selected by the Sniper Section is a huge privilege which will require humility. You will need your eyes open to see what makes others successful, and imitate those behaviors.
Right now you need to focus on being a good soldier, so you can have the opportunity to be a good Sniper. Study your Infantry skills, most Sections will test candidates on basic and advanced Infantry skills to include: Land Nav, Casualty Care, Op Orders and Mission Planning, Marksmanship, etc. The Section doesn't have time to train you on Infantry Skills, you should already know them thoroughly. And do more PT, you're not doing enough.

Last edited:
Also, if you're a PFC, which may be the case, you won't be going to school for a while even if you do get selected. You are going to be carrying all the shit no one else wants to carry for quite some time first. Also, if you think you spend too much tiMe in the field now, it's not for you. S/S sections spend even more time in the field. For example, when our battalion would jump on to Sicily DZ, we had toruck there (a long ways) several days in advance and left the same way several days after the main pullout.
Then you go to additional schools that no one knows what you're talking about when you try to name-drop, like RSLC, etc.

"I suggest you keep off the we be someone complex. I can't say for army sniper school. However I do know a good deal of people who went through the usmc sniper school. With your pt scores you will be hammered into the ground and fail. Hell I was running scores like that that back when I was in ROTC..."

...This is an example of what wastes peoples time.

"Dude... it's not about your PT score. You should be able to max the PT test, or the RPFT, simply as a byproduct of being in excellent condition. You are going to have to shoot, stalk, identify targets, etc. when you are dog-tired and hungry. If you're not in excellent condition, you will fail. The purpose of Selection is to assess the character and conditioning of the soldier, before investing in them. If you have an attitude, or think you are good enough already, you will be dropped. If you fall behind on ruck marches or can't concentrate during an activity because you're tired, you will be dropped. If you can't control your anger, or your reactions to criticism, you will be dropped. If you can't present a professional appearance and deliver concise information when you're in a bad mood, you will be dropped. If you can't listen and think critically, you will be dropped. I was a B4, and a Team Leader, and I have selected and dropped soldiers based on the above and much more. We want to see a hard-worker, who wants to earn an opportunity to learn a fascinating skill set and work with other professionals in a challenging environment. If you're one of those kids who looks at being a Sniper as a glamorous career bump, you are going to be sorely disappointed at how hard the work is, and how little credit you will get.
I'm not saying you can't do it, but you are going to be more successful if you are an open book, who is focused on working however hard it takes to be a credit to your unit, by being selected for specialized training. Much of this has been said or hinted at above, but being selected by the Sniper Section is a huge privilege which will require humility. You will need your eyes open to see what makes others successful, and imitate those behaviors.
Right now you need to focus on being a good soldier, so you can have the opportunity to be a good Sniper. Study your Infantry skills, most Sections will test candidates on basic and advanced Infantry skills to include: Land Nav, Casualty Care, Op Orders and Mission Planning, Marksmanship, etc. The Section doesn't have time to train you on Infantry Skills, you should already know them thoroughly. And do more PT, you're not doing enough."

SSSSamuri, thank you. this is worth re reading over and over.

Delta 4-3 owe you an apology. You know what its like to lose members of your team. You don't need to share that for me to know you do. I didn't mean to strike a cord in you. I'm ashamed you shared that to prove a point to me. Please forgive me

SSSSamuri, thank you. this is worth re reading over and over.

Delta 4-3 owe you an apology. You know what its like to lose members of your team. You don't need to share that for me to know you do. I didn't mean to strike a cord in you. I'm ashamed you shared that to prove a point to me. Please forgive me

See, thats the thing about the Internet and this forum, you don't know who you are talking to. Typically, on other tactical/"sniper" forums, you do have to deal with people such as you described in your initial post. As has been mentioned, you will find this forum to be populated with more people who "have been there and done that" than not. That goes for both Mil and civy's who know their shit.

You've received some pretty accurate G2 in this thread already. My advise is keep your mouth shut and honestly give 110%, do more than your share and don't be a spot light ranger. You need to know your shit like you were in the Soldier of the year competition. You must be technically and tactically competent in all that you do as it is not unheard of to have to brief officers from butter bar up to battalion Cdrs in certain circumstances either in person or over the radio. You will be a human pack mule. If you thought you walked a lot in the line, you will be in for a surprise. You are expected to be an information sponge and be able to relay that info back to those who need it. Most of all, you have to want it, if you don't want it or are not willing to put in all that it requires, you will fail, mentally or physically. And never forget, you are always being assessed in everything that you do on and off duty.

"Delta 4-3 owe you an apology. You know what its like to lose members of your team. You don't need to share that for me to know you do. I didn't mean to strike a cord in you. I'm ashamed you shared that to prove a point to me. Please forgive me."
CS, That's a good start on the humility aspect.

My service long ago and far away may not be relevant to the current discussion.
I will simply add here criticism is the breakfast of champions - eat it.
I have been competitive on several different planes and plan to now get into F1 when I retire in January. When I was not doing well I would go to the judges and ask "what do I need to do to win". Give it to me straight I can take it and I want to improve. When the competition judging was objective (based on score) rather than subjective (judges opinion) I would see out the best competitors and ask them to critique my performance. I didn't ask for tips or advise I asked for criticism. That's what got the best response and the top competitors are more willing to offer a critique than a few off hand tips.

So I think you got a critique and it was a fair one and it shows you what direction to head off to. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and I thank you for your service to our country.

I use to run sniper schools for the Guard. I did the final interview for each prospective student.

First, Loose the attitude, you need to be humble, not combative.

The main thing I looked for was self initiative. I mean some one to can be counted on to work alone outside the wire. Some one to whom the mission comes first, not who will hunker down and ghost.

I weeded out anyone who asked about a sniper tabs or badges, I wanted one who wanted to do a job, not just get his ticket punched. Not someone looking for the glory of being a "SNIPER".

I cared more for attention to detail then PT. I looked for people who convinced me they be willing to continue their training beyond what was mandatory or paid for be Uncle.

Again, first thing you need to do is loose the attitude.

It doesn't hurt as bad when your drinking. But, you do get bumped back down to E-4 if you do that kind of thing on range 44 at night when you're not supposed to be there.

Range 44 on Bragg? Was just there a few weeks ago shooting m107s! Sounds like a wicked story dude.

On topic, there's nothing special about being a sniper or a scout. If people would get over the "I need a title" or "look at my tab" mentality, the army, especially my unit, would be a better place. Just the fact that you can't get a 300 already makes you a big fat pussy. Pride isn't in a tab, pride isn't in a title, and pride isn't in a bumper sticker. It's in the way you perform, and you just got back from a deployment (where you probably had more than enough food, maybe you didn't?). You have no excuse to not be the most jacked motherfucker ever right now (unless you were at a plt cop the entire time and didn't have any food...). Start by performing at your current job, then go worry about getting applying for another.