• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good pants without drawing attention or looking like a tacti-tard.

Heavier = Kuhl Fugitv
Lighter = Kuhl Renegade

Very Functional. Very Comfortable. Very sharp.
You will not be disappointed.
I 100% agree with going with Kuhl pants. I have several pair and wear them for all kinds of activities. I plan on buying more real soon!

Vertx Clothing Review

+1 on Vertex. Here's a review I did on them a while back, for a local tac shop:

Howdy All, I just wanted to take a minute to extol the wonderful virtues of the Vertx line of tactical clothing. I really think the word tactical is way overused, but in this case I do think the T word is deserved, as Vertx gear is turning out to be tough enough for duty use, and comfortable, to boot.

First off, the pants: I have been in the other tactical pants for years and this is the first pair of tactical work type pants that is perfectly designed for the rigors of security work, or police training, or just carrying to Wal Mart, as a CHL holder. Now, let’s see, what do I love about these pants? Fit: these pants fit snug up around your waist (they are sized according to your waist size-not s, m, or L) so they do not bunch up under the weight of your gun belt and rub your skin raw after you’ve been sweating and running around all day. (Other pants do) The belt loops are beefy, and somehow, these pants do-not slide down my hips when I get them loaded up with ammo and mags on the range. In addition, the knees and seat are gusseted, so they move with you when you take a knee, instead of pulling straight down on the front of the pant leg and limiting freedom of movement, or worse – blowing out the crotch in public. That could be a bad thing. The fit in the seat and thigh is relaxed and that is great for folks who are athletic (or not) and are a bit thick-o-thigh, and have a hard time fitting into Dockers flat front khakis. (that’s me). Pockets: The pockets sit flat and don’t SCREAM "tactical pants" from across the room. Nice when you are trying to blend in at the local “stop and rob.” If you are wearing 5.11 top and bottom-or, you are 10-22’d, as we say, you’re gonna’ get shot right off the bat! Lol, Naw, just kidding, (not really). All pockets are reinforced for stuffing crap in em, or hanging crap off of 'em, and the side pockets are also designed in a way that once you put stuff in ‘em, stuff stays in ‘em. Oh, and I found a nifty concealed side zippered pocket where I can stash my passport and cash in case I need to take a vacation suddenly. Fabric: Oh, and the cotton rip stop fabric breathes wonderfully and takes a pressing like nobody’s business. They look sharp and stay sharp, for a good long while.

Now, the Vertex polo shirt: I was skeptical at first about this cool black technology, but that fabric did its job and reflected UV rays and kept me much cooler than other polos I’ve used, from lesser manufacturers. Another great thing about the polo, is that it is amazingly abrasion resistant, especially for a pique polo type fabric. You, know the tight little woven cotton polos that always have a thread snag and pop out and look like crap cause you bumped into a textured wall while passing a coworker on your way to get coffee at the cafeteria? Well, 2 months of wearing these shirts daily and nary a snag. I find that amazing. Oh, and they are wash and wear, no wrinkling, or that one annoying crease that you get across the front of your polo when you pull it out of the dryer.

Now, I will admit, I am not doing strenuous clothes-ripping drills and work, like I used to, but I did my best to test the clothes out by loading up my rucksack with 40 pounds and walking at an insane pace for an hour, every Friday. (Yeah, that’s my exciting night, lol) So, the pants perform as intended, they don’t chafe when they get soaked with sweat, they moved with me and never against me, and the shirt has yet to be abraded by my shoulder straps or the 15 pound weight I carry on my evening walk. Oh, and for good measure, I figured out that I can do a full legs workout (Olympic style squats, straight leg deadllifts, etc.) in these pants, and they don’t give a damn what stress I put on ‘em or impede my movement!

My verdict is that Vertex is great.

Oh, and I forgot, the First Spear belt that holds the pants up is wonderfully supportive and does a great job of never loosening up and letting your pants start to slide when you get em loaded up.

Cheers!

+2 On the Vertx: Comfortable, Great fit, Bomb-proof construction, Excellent price (I've purchased for as low as $33.00/pair on sale last year), and very "discrete", the pockets really don't draw attention at all. You really owe it to yourself to at least try one pair; that's what I did and I quickly bought 5 more!

i like the Riggs Rangers myself. you can buy them at factory outlets for $20-$25, and they even come in a flannel lined version.

I wear Carhartt relaxed fit almost exclusively. Work, home, church, range, etc. Extremely durable, wash up great after I get grungy, and my wife thinks my rear looks great in them. I have a few pair of the double knee carpenters too. However, I jut got a pair of Wolverine carpenters and I've got to say, for less than $20 I am seriously impressed. They are canvas so they are heavy, but they are surprisingly soft, mostly triple stitched, and fit great. They are certainly worth a look.

I get most of my pants from Sierra trading post, never pay more than $25 for any of them and always have coupon codes. The only downside, is the Carhartts are irregulars. Its never been an issue for me though. Several pairs on three years use.

+2 On the Vertx: Comfortable, Great fit, Bomb-proof construction, Excellent price (I've purchased for as low as $33.00/pair on sale last year), and very "discrete", the pockets really don't draw attention at all. You really owe it to yourself to at least try one pair; that's what I did and I quickly bought 5 more!

I have 8 pairs of Vertx, I love the damn things.

I'll vouch for Duluth, but I'd advise strongly against 5.11. I have 2pr Taclite Pros, snagged the back pocket on a branch during a hunt and tore a 2" hole without even trying. I've mistakenly put small items in that pocket and never saw em again. RIP Leek and Mini Griptillian :(

I also have a pair of their ATAC boots and it was a colossal waste of $85. Cheap loafers 2 sizes too small will give you less pain and blisters. Even with Red Wing Powersteppers they weren't wearable for extended periods.

I like PROPPER BDU pants... not too expensive... relatively durable... several color and material choices available... I get mine at BDU DOT COM.

Murray

I don't have a ton of experience outside of issued BDU/ACU and jeans but I'm really digging the two pair of Mountain Khaki original pants I picked up a few months ago.

I really like the products offered by Kuhl. I just picked up a pair of Kuhl Rydr's a few days ago and they feel extremely well made much like the rest of their products. I highly recommend giving them a look if you have the opportunity.

I've had 3 pairs of the 5.11 taclite pants for a couple years now and I am not impressed. I, by most standards, am not very rough on them: every day wearing and a couple easy camping trips. Two pairs have stitching coming out and one of those two also has the fabric wearing through on the left knee (rip through the first layer). It's a shame because I really love the layout and design of the pants. The problem, I think, is the fabric. It is noisy when you walk and wears through easily (apparently). I have cheap khaki pants that I wore for 10+ years that went through countless camping trips, paintball matches and general mucking around in that are in better shape than these 2 year old pants that have seen light use. Now if someone would take the 5.11 features and put them in khaki pants I would buy a crate full of them.

Carhartt and the Duluth Trading pants for me. I also really like the North Face Buckland pants. They are thin and quick-drying, as well as have good mobility without being baggy.

Another vote for the Duluth Fire hose pants. Have 3 pairs of the the fire hose jeans - order these 1 size up for waist, and length. They do tend to shrink. Also have 2 pair of the their cargo pocket work pants (fire hose). Again, order up 1 size in the waist, and your regular measurement in the inseam. Given the fact that they do shrink, I have personally used Duluth Trading's lifetime guarantee for firehose pants..... a couple times actually. They really mean lifetime. If they ever shrink, snag, tear, or just wear out in general for whatever reason, if you are willing to call them and pay the shipping to ship them back, they will replace them free of charge and send you new ones on their dime, or refund your money. It helps if when you order, you keep your packing/order invoice somewhere safe, so that if you ever have a warranty issue, it will make the return process easier.

If you are willing to sign up for E-mails and catalogs, you'll be able to find the firehose pants on sale a couple times a year for up to 20% off. Don't over look the firehose shorts either. While they are heavy, they are as tough as nails too, just like the pants.

I took a road trip over to Wisconsin last fall to their flag ship store. I got the impression that alot of people do not take them up on their lifetime guarantee, but they want to and do stand by their products. So, while the firehose line isn't the cheapest out there, it really is a bargain in the long run when you consider that you buy once and they take care of you from then on. You just have to be willing to ship your's back when the time comes and get them replaced.

Another idea:
I took some kids to a skate shop today. I noticed quite a few pants that were stylish and definitely not tactical. Solid colours, semi loose fit, straight leg, diamond gussets, classic four pocket design (no cargo). They would be easy to move in, fit into any casual enviroment, and must be tough, considering they are designed for people that fall down on concrete all day long. Didn't look at brand names, kids had me busy.

Last edited:
I actually finished a 2 day comp with rolling around in the dirt both days. Day 1 I was wearing a pair of 511 taclite pants, not bad overall with light weight and decent pockets. I did rip a seam in them becaue they almost feel a size too small for me. Day 2 was in woolrich elite tactical, the better of the 2 in my opinion. Pockets are slightly larger and they feel like they have more room to move. Figured the would show dirt real bad since the are a light color but not the case at all. I would buy anoth pair of woolrich in a second. After reading this thread, it looks like I will pick up a pair of Duluth pants soon.

I was going to give the vertx pants a try, but the coupon code isn't working and $55+shipping is a bit too steep to try em' out blind..

WTH DO THEY MAKE ANYTHING AMERICAN??

Checking out their Fire hose pants and it's all imported crap...

I think it's Duluth China...

If made in China is a show stopper for you, Duluth probably isn't for you. Guessing the keyboard you're typed that message on is made in China too though. I'm with you in wishing they were made at home, but Duluth is more American than most clothing manufacturers and their pants are well designed and well made.

Last edited:
I have a couple of Columbia pants that fit the bill. Check out some of their cotton/nylon blend offerings.

I just got my second order of Vertx pants today. The first order I had placed were for 2 khaki and 2 desert 33/32's. The waist was a bit tight for IWB concealed carry, and the khaki color is backordered even straight through them for months, so I had to order 4 unfinished desert tans that they finished to 34/32's. The waist fits, but it seems like the whole pant leg got bigger and makes them a bit baggy. Doesn't seem like (for my body) there is a right fit unfortunately, but I'm keeping them and wearing them to beat up. Washing them helped a bit, but unfortunately, they are big in the legs for "tactical" use. I do like them WAY more than 5.11's though as they look more like regular cargo pants. Also, they are boot cut which makes them fit around shoes much better than the straight leg 5.11's.

So overall, just for an FYI for people, I'm 5'10" 169lbs and 33/32's fit a bit snug in the waist, especially if you are going to IWB carry, but may be too big in the rest of the pant if you order much bigger in the waist to compensate...

Great looking and constructed pants though.

REI convert pants. They are made with a stretch type of material Works great for active movement and it does not bind or restrict you at all. Another pair of pants that I think are awesome are made by exofficio. some of their pants also a stretchy type of material that look very nice do not have any tactical look at all and they wear quite well. I really like a stretch or active type of pant.

5.11 Tac lite pants. They are cool for warmer weather and are not really Tacti-cool looking.

I live in the Northern VA area, so its easy to find people committing Crimes of Tactical Faggotry (COTF) on a daily basis. But it gets more interesting. Lately, if you're REALLY cool you'll be wearing $200.00 Arcteryx pants, some kinda massive watch, some type of mountain climbing shoe/boot, you'll have a beard and long hair, and you'll always sit facing the entrance of a restaurant. This is the new "Im a Low Profile Delta Force Guy look" (IALPDFGL).

So now, since all the "Real Dudes" (RD) quit wearing 5.11 pants, it's the new thing. I'm starting a new thing. I'm officially starting the "Real Dudes Dress Not Like Mountain Climber Hippies Look" (RDDNLMCHL). This means its safe to dress tactical again.

Everything is a circle if you zoom out far enough.

Last edited:
I live in the Northern VA area, so its easy to find people committing Crimes of Tactical Faggotry (COTF) on a daily basis. But it gets more interesting. Lately, if you're REALLY cool you'll be wearing $200.00 Arcteryx pants, some kinda massive watch, some type of mountain climbing shoe/boot, you'll have a beard and long hair, and you'll always sit facing the entrance of a restaurant. This is the new "Im a Low Profile Delta Force Guy look" (IALPDFGL).

So now, since all the "Real Dudes" (RD) quit wearing 5.11 pants, it's the new thing. I'm starting a new thing. I'm officially starting the "Real Dudes Dress Not Like Mountain Climber Hippies Look" (RDDNLMCHL). This means its safe to dress tactical again.

Everything is a circle if you zoom out far enough.

That's funny shit...

I wore my vertex at a tactical class a couple weeks ago, and they worked great for me

I run a light setup with just kydex, So I used the pockets for my dump bag.

Overall they were great and were not too hot

Vertx! I have about 8 pair and have been using them since they first hit the market. Very tough, low profile, with excellent stitching, and color fast fabrics.