• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my 375 Veirsco mag today!

Fotis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
Cheyenne, Wyoming
gsgroup.co.za
375 Viersco mag proprietary cartridge. One of a kind.

The 375 Viersco Magnum was developed for the super long range" Hard Target Interdiction" rifles.

Ballistics:
33.5" barrel test

375gn Cutting Edge bullet
H-BMG 50 powder
3300 fps
9100 Foot pounds at the muzzle

3000 yds super sonic
------------------------------------

350gn Predator solid
H-BMG50
3450 fps

Here she is

Custom action from Dave Viers, 34" Lilja barrel 1"9 twist to facilitate up to 450 gr 375 bullets. Manners stock. etc.

The cartridge compared to 338 RUM and 280 AI---180 gr capacity

Theoretically it will launch 260 accubonds at 4000 fps but it will not stabilize them.

Here is the webpage.....Yes that is my rifle on it!!!

375 Viersco Magnum

375 VM Test Results

Wow, nice! I didn't realize Dave finalized that cartridge?

Nice

Waiting in line, sometime within a year I will have a 38” 9 twist in a Mc Hale stock all black.

So how do you like it, being all new yet?

Cheers

Last edited:
I've got brass,dies and chamber reamer order from Dave. Can't wait till there done so I can finish up my rifle. Yours is very nice. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.

She certainly is a big case !

The one I built held 185-186 grains of H20 to the top of the neck.

Very nice rifle you have got there :)

Last edited:
Don’t really know what you screwed up on other then calling it a 375 Viersco Mag versus 375 VM2 not an issue.

Anyhow how did your build end up weight wise? I’m shooting for a 25 -28 lbs

Cheers

That long barrel might have some WHIP. Also you mention the 9 twist will stabilize a 450gr bullet, I seriously doubt it. It will take a gain twist barrel with an exit twist around 6.5-7 to stablize that long of a bullet.

I bought quickdesign when I bought quickload so I could draw cartridges and import them over. That's the only way I know of. Maybe someone's already did it and would share there file with you. I would be happy to if I had mine finished but unfortunally I don't. Sure would save some powder that way.

Last edited:
I read on V's website that he was getting long brass life! That's real plus compared to 375CT.

Now as long as you don't have ignition problems with that much powder and using a Fed215 mag primers you'll have a really good ELR cartridge!

I will initiate break in procedures soon. After elk I guess.

Dave Viers (the builder) suggested this

Load info
OAL 350 smk to touch lands 4.140"
153gns H BMG50

BTW I scoped it with a 5-20 SWFA Super Sniper HD. Will this scope hold or do I need a NF?

Will be interesting what Velocity you get with 153gr and the SMK in your 34 inch barrel keep us posted.

I see that Barker Machine is making the actions for V. Better hope nothing happens to the action, Barker Machine is very hard to deal with. That is basically the Lawton action with different name.

No, you should just be sure to buy a durable scope. Economical scopes often lack the durability to mil-rated scopes, which makes them great for plinking or shooting short actions. That doesn't mean a Bushnell or SWFA won't work in your case, but I would bet you'll run into problems within a year or so. With a rifle like that your main concerns should be available elevation and durability (not to mention optical quality). Vortex and NF won't break the bank and they make pretty durable scopes. Don't get too hung up on magnification either as too much usually equates to less available elevation to work with.

Don't take my word for it - ask around.

Skimping on quality optics are the number one mistake of people getting into ELR shooting. You spend $4-5k on a rifle then budget $1.5k for a scope - I think that's a big mistake. Now granted, money doesn't always correlate with quality, but with big magnum rifles designed to shoot out to 2km, skimping on the optic can cause you frustration and cost you money in the long run. Why? Because you may learn over time that you have difficulty getting past a mile accurately and spend lots of time and money tuning your loads, trying to figure out why the groups just open up past a certain point. And then you realize it's optical distortion because your erector cell is approaching maximum and your economical scope doesn't handle that well. Or the reticle wore loose and all of the sudden you can't hold groups tighter than half a meter. So it's kind of like a high performance car that needs higher octane fuel to run the way it was designed. The SWFA scope you selected is a really good value, but I would run that on a short action rifle, not a big magnum like you've got. But that's purely my opinion - check with others before drawing your conclusions.

Dave doesn`t make actions. He uses Barker Machine actions then Dave modifies them. The SWFA will work just depends how far you want to shoot.

Actually.........

Email from David Viers
5:47 AM (3 hours ago)

This is my own action. The barkers were junk that he sent me. The tolerances on this action is similar to a BAT. I am working with a local machine shop to start producing actions, they have a larger capability than I do. It takes me mega hours to build one action. The Stiller actions are OK, but have a design flaw in the TAC 408 action. They use a M16 type extractor, its placed along side the locking lug. This causes the ejection of a fired case to sometimes drop it in the action. Its best to use a Sako extractor in the locking lug. I am always looking for improvements in rifle actions.

Last edited:
Thats good that your action isn`t a Barker. I`m not a fan of a split lug for an extractor. It does weaken the lug but I`m sure Dave has tested this action for this monster round. If your bolt is .750 OD, and the cartridge head is .690, assuming the boltface is .010 larger for some clearance, then the bolt nose is .025" per side. Thats getting on the thin side. Do you know what the barrel tenon OD is?

Just to clarify a few things.
The bolt face on the action is .690
Case head is .675
Case body is .680 Just a slight rebate
Case is 3.050 long
Barrel tennon is 1.187 x16 tpi
Barrel shank size 1.350 to 1.450 is perfect
375VM2 stands for 2nd design, 40 deg shoulder

I have tested this round at speeds of 3700fps with 350 gn bullets. I had to tap the case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. No damage was done to the brass except for the extractor mark in the brass rim. I cleaned off the damaged part and reloaded the brass. This brass is built very strong.
The locking lugs are just as solid as a bolt with a M16 type extractor cut along side the lug. I use longer lugs on my bolts than Lawton or Barker does. I had some action tubes custom cut for me, i do all the final machining and build my own bolts to keep tolerances uniform. Barker was supose to make a VM action, but could not deliver.
I use a similar foot print as the Lawton 8000, makes it easier to get stocks. I have larger dia action tubes, but then you have to get into much larger stocks or Aluminum chasis. 1.625" and 1.700" for hunting type rifles i like to stay with 1.600" tubes and try to keep the weight down. The VM takes a longer barrel to burn the powder so weight can be an issue for some. 35" is the shortest i would use.
Lawton 8000 can be modified for the VM, the Siller TAC 408 can not. Stiller has an m16 type extractor and it cant be moved.

Cheers
Dave

Hmm, perhaps a good candidate for a DTA HTI conversion? :)

Check out Iveyshooting.com for the RT-150 ring set. I have a set that I am still needing to throughly check out. They are adjustable to 150MOA. I am using them on a NF BR 8-32x56 with the NPR-1 with 1/8 clicks. The ring set is for rough adj. and the scope is for the fine. All staying in the middle of the adj. range of my scope that itself only has 50MOA of adj built in. The rifle isn't a real big boomer... It's a 300Lapua custom. Just another option to think about.

BTW I scoped it with a 5-20 SWFA Super Sniper HD. Will this scope hold or do I need a NF?

Hi Fotis,

I originally had an early version of the Premier Reticles Heritage 5-25x56 scope on my SnipeTac338 and the parallax shook itself to bits after 200 rounds.
Sent it in for warranty repair and it is now back on the SnipeTac338 and is behaving itself so far after 150 rounds.
Apparently with such fine screws in the erector assembly they cannot tighten them too much and as such they require the use of Loctite to hold them in place.
Premier Reticles now use a much stronger grade of Loctite to hold things together, so I was informed with my warranty repair.
Their service was quick and something I was happy with.
As I stated my scope was an earlier version and obviously certain improvements came along as was the case with my scope.
I am very happy with the service Premier Reticles provided and this so far I wouldn't write them off just because I had this issue.
I would certainly recommend this scope for all big banging rifles.
During that warranty repair time I fitted a March 8-80x56 on my SnipeTac338 and it endured its working life on that rifle for over 800 rounds. By the way a new barrel is on its way for the SnipeTac338, a superb rifle also.
Have now moved the March scope onto my 375VM2 long neck and it has survived another 200 plus rounds with this monster 375 cartridge.
What more can I say about this scope that has been so fantastic for me and has never let me down and it is absolutely awesome.
The massive magnification this scope provides certainly comes into its own where and when required, however in hot weather heat mirage could be a bit of a problem but all you need to do is wind down the magnification; however in snow conditions this should won't be a problem and this is where you can take advantage of that massive magnification that no other scope out there can provide.
I have used NF scopes in the past on my SnipeTac338, 30-378Wby and 338-378 Wby rifles and have sold them off as they do not perform to my requirements such as low light shooting.
The NF scopes may be great in every other aspect but they sadly lack in low light performance where most of my long range hunting is done.
I have since fitted Zeiss scopes to all of my Weatherbies and so far they have performed beyond all expectations.
Hope this helps in making a decision as to what to buy.

Last edited:
Ridge rider

What kind of results are you getting with you 375VM2? And what kinds of bullets, powdercharge are you running, velocities?

According to SWFA the SSHD is 50 BMG rated so I will try it out since I own it.

If the scope is rated BMG then you will be ok. I only had one issue with a rated scope early on with a 338 snipetac, a IOR. They replaced it with a new model and never had another issue. IOR told me the 338 magnums have the worst G force with a good muzzle brake. That is what causes most of the issues.

If the scope is rated BMG then you will be ok. I only had one issue with a rated scope early on with a 338 snipetac, a IOR. They replaced it with a new model and never had another issue. IOR told me the 338 magnums have the worst G force with a good muzzle brake. That is what causes most of the issues.

My 375VM2 feels "softer'' to shoot than my 338 Snipetac, so what Dave said above possibly explains why.
Both cartridges are the ultimate long range performers in their respective calibres.
Thanks for those great rounds Dave.

Last edited:
Any update?

OK OK here we go

My running in load was conducted using 300Hornady spire points behind 158gns H BMG50 or ADI2218 where I come from, seated just off the lands

With that load I managed 5 shot clover leafing at 100 yards during break in and got consistent 1/2" x 5 shot groups at 300 yards

After barrel break in I switched to 350grain SMK's and began developing my hunting load.

With my loads shooting the 350 grain SMK's I was getting 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards and ran out of the small batch of bullets I had, but I did manage to develop the "perfect" load for my rifle as far as I am concerned.

Waiting for my next shipment of 350 grain SMK's to arrive before I can load up and begin validating my loads and my shooter program beyond 1000 yards with my soon to arrive Target Cam system which will give me instant pics of where the bullets are landing plus save me a lot of driving back and forth
There is still a lot more work to do before I go hunting..........long range hunting that is at 1 mile and beyond which is what this rifle was specifically built for as I've got a couple of stags that will soon receive an express delivery parcel from me.

Last edited:
Ridge Rider,

How do you think that your .375 VM2 will go on Sambar compared to your .338 SnipeTac338? With over 800 round down the tube you must have shot a bunch of them by now.
The .338 Snipetac is an impressive round with excellent long range hunting performance. Do you think that the .375 will extend your max range much further than the .338 Snipetac?

Its interesting that you are planning on using the 350gn SMK for hunting, have you found them to be suitable?

Ridge Rider,

How do you think that your .375 VM2 will go on Sambar compared to your .338 SnipeTac338? With over 800 round down the tube you must have shot a bunch of them by now.
The .338 Snipetac is an impressive round with excellent long range hunting performance. Do you think that the .375 will extend your max range much further than the .338 Snipetac?

Its interesting that you are planning on using the 350gn SMK for hunting, have you found them to be suitable?

Ridge Rider,

Hi Norm,

I was wondering when you would come onto the scene. Thanks for coming and asking........ always a pleasure..

To answer your questions

1. You asked: How do you think that your .375 VM2 will go on Sambar compared to your .338 SnipeTac338?

The 338SnipeTac performs beautifully and I would expect the 375VM2 will at least do the same. Anyway you can't kill them any more than dead than dead.
It's just another calibre for me to play with. I have always liked the 375 calibre in every cartridge out there; it is my favourite calibre and the 375VM2 is top of the tree with 375's.
I like a challenge and my rig is buzzing along beautifully. Another piece of perfection from my master gunsmith. 5 out of 5 perfect builds so far.

2. You stated: With over 800 rounds down the tube you must have shot a bunch of them by now.

Yes I have put a few down the barrel. Initially during load development and during the first target shots and hunting the 338SnipeTac performed extremely well.
I was shooting very impressive groups.
Then the accuracy started to drop off and on occasion became erratic at times and I could not work out why until my cases started to show some tightness in that they would not easily slide into the shell holder during reloading on their second reload, yes 2nd reload 3 firings from the same case = 450 shots.
That's when it was revealed that those 150 crappy Jamison cases I bought were a bit soft in the head area and were the root cause of all these problems and so I literally wasted 450 rounds down that barrel with them.
So I purchased another 160 Bertram cases and everything came back to normal. Had to fireform 160 of them and so the shot count rose very quickly after that along with another load development.
I have since taken quite a few deer but nowhere as many as you are currently rolling at the moment as I simply cannot get out as often as you do, but well done from what I hear.
Reg and Matt won't be too impressed...tough shit eh....haha.

3. You stated: The .338 Snipetac is an impressive round with excellent long range hunting performance.
It certainly is. An incredible cartridge from Dave Viers, thanks.

4. You stated: Its interesting that you are planning on using the 350gn SMK for hunting, have you found them to be suitable
The 338cal 300grain SMK's are like dynamite inside all of the deer I have shot with my 338SnipeTac. Retrieved weight is FK All. I recently retrieved 39 grains of bullet from my 300 grain SMK from my last shot at 850 yards on an Elk.
The insides were just one large blob of blood clot you could say, everything was destroyed, one jelly blob. Please don't anyone come onto me with Berger, Barnes, monolithics etc, I am simply not interested in a conversation on this.
This is what works for me and I am happy with that.
If the performance of the 338SMK's is anything to go by then yes I will use the 375 cal, 350 grain SMK's for my hunting requirements based on what I have personally experienced or witnessed with my 338SnipeTac I am positive these will work admirably for me .....end of story...thanks for asking...hope this has been of help to others on this post.

I apologise if my reply has veered off somewhat from the original post but somewhere in all this I believe some members will have gained some answers and more than they may have been looking for.

Happy hunting

Last edited:
The .375, 350 SMK is a lot tougher projectile than the .338, 300 SMK.

The ones I sectioned were roughly in thou

300 SMK, 23 jacket, 57 base

350 SMK, 31 jacket, 80 base.

I struggled to find any info on terminal performance, not saying they won't work.

Ridge Rider,
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with both those rifles. I'm sure that the .375VM will kill game ok.

I really wanted to get your thoughts on the max range of the .375 VM compared to your .338 Snipetac on Sambar. Do you think you will be able to stretch the distance a lot further with the .375 VM given the great performance that the .338 Snipetac provides.
The 350gn SMK has a bit higher BC than the 300gn SMK and the .375 VM would provide a bit more velocity than the .338 Snipetac.
What do you think this difference in performance actually means in terms of extending your hunting distance?

Kiwi Greg,
Thanks for the jacket thickness details on the larger SMK, it sure is a lot tougher but then again it is also a larger diameter so maybe that contributes to something as well?

Can you post some pics of some sambar stags you've shot at a mile ridge rider? I'd love to see them

The .375, 350 SMK is a lot tougher projectile than the .338, 300 SMK.

The ones I sectioned were roughly in thou

300 SMK, 23 jacket, 57 base

350 SMK, 31 jacket, 80 base.

I struggled to find any info on terminal performance, not saying they won't work.

Hi KG

Thanks for that info.
I can only provide an answer once I receive my batch of 350 grainers, load up and go drop some game