• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Got my son out for some more long range shooting

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    My 8 yr old has taken to long range shooting and I am proud to say he is doing really well. He made it look easy Sunday shooting my .243 to 682 yds. The 3 big splashes on the steel are my 30/06, the rest are him shooting. A great, almost windless day for shooting. I am happy to see him getting better and better. They learn and listen so well when they are young and all the .22 shooting in the yard has taught him well. He went 6 for 10 on the 8x8" red center.

2011-05-01132919Medium.jpg

2011-05-01143039Medium.jpg

Re: Got my son out for some more shooting distance

Women and children tend to do really well at precision long range shooting!

Two weekends ago, I got beat at a long range match by a 12 year old girl....shooting a rifle I sold to her father last year! So I got beat by a little girl, with my old rifle! LOL

Congrats on your son doing well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason...do you recognize the .243 he's shooting?
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

LOL, there is like a 1 in 10 chance that in any given picture on Snipershide there's a rifle that I once owned!
    laugh.gif

That's some great shooting. I took mine on Sat along with a neighbor and his 9 year old, it was a great morning for shooting. After a fruitless few hours of forest chicken chasing, we loaded up the skeet thrower and tossed a few.
    Then took a few pokes at our 500 yrd steel with my 243. My neighbor could believe we were even going to shoot that far, till the kid sat down and popped it 5 times in a row. It is a joy watching the kids have fun while teaching them at the same time. Good for you getting out with yours.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ij9cb2O8HI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bnl8470V0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason...do you recognize the .243 he's shooting?
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

LOL, there is like a 1 in 10 chance that in any given picture on Snipershide there's a rifle that I once owned!
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

True....the POF in the bed of the truck was yours, too. We'll take good care of them and feed them well.
    wink.gif

Tunanut...you plan a weekend like me. Chased thunderbirds all weekend before we went shooting also.

Curious, did you weld an 8x8" plate to a bigger chunk of steel there?

We had no AR 500 left for the big target, but plenty of unhardened steel so we put 4- 1/4" sheets together by welding the edges. Then we put the 8x8" plate on to that to take some of the abuse. Having the bigger white background steel helps me see windage screw ups better.