• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got some shitty news today... Updated 5/9/2012...

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
Well, this morning I went for my first Colonoscopy. I've been having some cramping and unusual bathroom habits lately. I'm only 47 so I wasn't expecting anything worse than maybe some internal hemorrhoids or something... Turns out it's Colon Cancer. So far that's all we know until the biopsy report comes back.

I know this is nothing compared to some of the shit that our Sons and Friends are dealing with in Combat Zones around the World. Hopefully it's "nothing to worry about" and I hate to even bring it up but you Guys and Gals are like Family to me so... if you have a few seconds and it's not too much trouble please include me in your Prayers. I'd really appreciate it. I'm a firm believer in the power of Prayer.

Thanks Everyone,
John

Update...
Went to my Surgical Consultation today with Dr. Steinbaum. Surgery is set for Tuesday, December 14th at noon at Fish Memorial hospital in Orange City Fl.. The surgery will be laparoscopic and involve only small incisions. He'll remove the affected area and re-attach the two ends. Then he'll remove the Lymph nodes in the area to biopsy them. The best case is that the cancer has not spread into my Lymphatic system and the removal of the cancer will be the end of it. If it has affected my Lymphatic system I will need Chemo-therapy. If it has affected any other organs, that's trouble! He called the cancer "Garden Variety" colon cancer that he has seen and removed a hundred times. It's called Adenocarcinoma. According to the Doc I'll be up and around the same day, and eating within a day or two. The Hospital stay will be 3 or 4 days but only because they need to wait for a bowel-movement before they can kick me outa' there. Once I'm out, if all went well, I'll be able to continue life... Uninterrupted! No special diet, no long term affects. That's what I'm Praying for!

Thanks again Everyone!!!

Re: Got some shitty news today...

Will do oneshot.
I believe in prayer.
.....SmokeRolls

Good luck, brother. Try not to worry about it until you know more. Colon Cancer is pretty easy to beat. Just start convincing yourself that is what is going to happen and it will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck, brother. Try not to worry about it until you know more. Colon Cancer is pretty easy to beat. Just start convincing yourself that is what is going to happen and it will.</div></div>

+1, the right mindset is a huge part of the battle!

Prayers sent brother. I imagine it's difficult but try to keep a positive outlook and don't stop fighting.

Good luck mate, my dad had it pretty bad a couple of years ago but after surgery and treatment has come through clear. Keep focused on the positives and all the best.

Prayers for you on beating it back. Glad you found out now versus not going to get it checked. Treatment is much more advanced for this than in the past.

Shocking news isn't it? Especially when your young? I've just ended my second round with bladder cancer at age 42. I get a precationary dose of poision tomorrow morning.

I suggest going to American Cancer Society web page forums. It is a good source of information from people who are in the same boat.

Also, I would discuss with your doctor about having the biopsy slides examined by a second lab.

Prayer sent. As stated many times earlier, a positive mindset is a powerful tool. Keep your head up.

One of my favorite quotes - "The man who says he can and the man who says he can't...they're BOTH right!"

Eric

Man,I'm sorry to hear that!The good news is that colon cancer is one of the easiest to treat and slowest growing cancers.Lots of patients don't even have to have chemo.I will keep you in my prayers,please stay in touch.As others have said,attitude counts for a lot.
As we speak,I'm chained to the tolet because I have a colonoscopy tomorrow morning.Mine is routine,because Mom had colon cancer,but you never know. Pete

I went through this last Christmas.
The result of the biopsy should have been ready by the time you woke up, unless it was done in a Doctor's office not associated with a top level hospital.
When I woke up from the Scope, the Doc had the answer, an OK from the VA, and a Surgeon on line to see me the next day. I was admitted the next morning, and had the surgery that day.
What is important is to know WHAT type of cancer. That will determine the treatment, and your survival rate.
The Surgeon will tell you, (and you should look up on a medical web site) the 5 year survival rate for that cancer with certain treatment.
What that means is that for a given percentage, in 5 years those many are still alive. 6 yers later, saome percentage of those, then 5 years later same percentage of those that are left.
For instance, 50% 5 year rate, means in 5 years, 50% are stil alive, and in 5 more years 50% of THOSE and so on.
I was DX'd with Carcinoid: only treatment is surgery, as long as it is confined to the colon and perhaps just a few nodes. No radiation, and no chemo. Just the knife.
If is comes back, and spreads, some meds to combat the effect of the hormones that the tumor excretes, but otherwise if it has spread, it is too bad. goes to the Liver and other organs, and secretes mostly insulin.
I hope you didn't get that.
Good luck, study up when you get a diagnosis, so you know more and the latest Vs your doc.
After surgery, use a pillow against your belly to cough, and ask for a stretchy waist binding, to help support your belly for a week or so. Also don't let them throw you out of the hospital, no matter what they say, you do NOT have to go home the next fricken day.
Finally, don't push the foods. Eat liquids only after surgery for a day longer than you think. At least.
Use Chloraseptic for the scratchy throat from the ET tube.
WALK.
If they give you a twice daily shot in the belly, (for preventing clots) Pinch up a fold of belly, and pinch TIGHT, until the shot is over. Hurts WAY less that way.
Ask for an air mattress or foam pad for the bed. Those hospital mattresses suck.
Any questions, PM me.

Don't know you, but my family will be praying for you. My Dad had that twice and he's just fine. Keep your head up and give it hell.

Sir i am sorry to hear abt your situation and you will be in my prayers. crow hop

Hoping everything turns out as well as it can be for you.
Hang in there, man.

Going for the scope top and bottom in jan when ins. kicks in . Good luck , I have a feeling I'm in the same boat and I'm the same age , but we shall see !!

Damn, thats some rough news for sure John, stay strong and you can beat it. I just found out today that my ticker is FUBARed, aint going to let it stop me though.

Keep us all in the loop, we're here for you.

Prayer said and will ad to prayer request. Stay strong and trust in God. No matter what all will be well.

Best of luck to you brother. Fortunately we're pretty good at helping people beat that one. One of the better success rates out there. I'm sure you will come out on the other side clean.

Prayers sent, John. Remember, don't jump to conclusions: A strong mind will take you farther than will health, or talent, or even bravery. I have a friend who is currently post-surgery and post-chemo. He's wiser and happier now than I ever was... Go figure. Everything happens for a reason, even if we don't understand and don't accept the reason. Nothing changes. Drive on!

Prayers sent John. Like everyone else said keep a positive mindset and we will keep praying for you. God Bless!!!

My mom survived colon cancer at 67 years old. Doctor says colon cancer is very treatable and that even worst case scenarios that you have a lot of colon that can be removed and still function normally. I wish you luck and prayers sent.

Prayers sent, don't know you , but keep the faith,stay strong and stay positive if possible. Good Luck

Like many have said prior to me prayers sent and positive attitude! This is also a reminder and another wake up call to those who have not been checked... might be uncomfortable but the earlier they catch it the better!

Stay strong!

Prayer accomplished John. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Depending on how the staging goes, you could still have an excellent prognosis. Prayers in progress.

Greg (2X Lymphoma survivor)

Oneshot,
I wish you all the best. I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma in September and am going thru chemo. I found that mind set is the key to getting thru anything like this. I know that I will win. And I know that you will too.
You will be amazed at the outpouring of compassion, kindness and thoughtfulness that people you don't even know will give. It has been truly humbling to me.
One of my friends went thru colon cancer in his late 60's and is still doing well over 15 years later.
Take care, and know that you are in all our prayers.

Give it hell John. Stay positive and keep living life - and beat this thing, there's still lots of good shooting to do.

Hopefully its in its early stages. Prayers sent your way bro. Stay on top of your treatment and talk openly with your Docs throughout the whole process. You can beat this beast. Give em hell, John!!

Chad

Prayers sent!

Put on a happy face and hit it head on. Now that you are aware of this invader you and your body can change the odds.

All the best to you and yours,

RJR

My ex-fiance's brother-in-law had it and came out on top. His was in the late stages, but cancer is beatable these days.

Prayers up, fella.

david

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I have had colitis for 10 years now. Since I was 17 and this is one of my biggest fears every time I have a scope done.

You Guys are the BEST! I come here often in the last 24hrs. because it REALLY HELPS!

I found out this morning that It appears to be "advanced" but I'll find out more when I go for my surgical consultation on Thursday.

I can't stress enough that if you experience ANYTHING different in your bathroom visits to go and get a Colonoscopy done ASAP!!!

Time to get a little graphic... I've had a little bright red blood in my stool for quite a few years off and on. I was told when I first noticed it that it was most likely "internal Hemorrhoids" and not to be too concerned but get a Colonoscopy when you turn 50 just because. Well, that was the wrong answer in my case! All I can do now is continue to pray that it has not spread! The surgery will tell because they plan to biopsy the lymph nodes in the area too.

Keep prayin' for me! I can feel them all!

Playing the Odds, "just hemorrhoids" was a best guess, even if it was wrong.
However, Advanced is a bit chilling.
The doc doing the scope should have taken a biopsy,and you should have an actual name (a diagnosis) of the type of Ca you have. This is critical info, since it will determine the initial course of therapy.
Most types of Cancer is treatable, even if it is advanced, but some, like Carcinoid, is only treatable by the knife, and you got to get it all in one swoop. If it has gone to the lymph nodes, it is more difficult, since it spreads like crazy from there. A few nodes, no big deal, they just take them too with some of your intestine.
it changes what you eat ( I cannot tolerate greasy foods anymore, so lots of comfort or fast food is a no go).
Once you have a name for the type of CA you have, you can research it yourself. Tere is a lot of info that the doc won't tell you simply because they don't have enough time in a 15 minute or even half hour visit to explain everything, including your projected outcome. You can dig that out on reputable web site like Web MD, and others once you have a specific name for the type of tumor.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck, and hope you have the absolute best surgeon and oncologist at your disposal. It does make a difference.
Do not delay.
Our prayers are with you.