• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gotta start somewhere right?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Where do I start, when wanting to develop a load for my rifle? After reading many, many threads on this site, I'm more confused than ever.

Rem700P, #5 contour 26" barrel, 1:12 twist .308

Thanks for any info, comments, critiques etc.

Re: Gotta start somewhere right?

If it's a stock barrel for now, why are you going to chop it short?

Shorter barrels are stiffer, but I'm not necessarily seeing the advantages for what's essentially an off the shelf rifle with a factory chamber and throat, loaded with good bullets, good powder, and questionable brass.

O.K., maybe I should re-title this, because after all the alcolades I've read about Scenar 155's, now I found a thread saying they suck. Where do I start?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do I start, when wanting to develop a load for my rifle? After reading many, many threads on this site, I'm more confused than ever.

Rem700P, #5 contour 26" barrel, 1:12 twist .308

Thanks for any info, comments, critiques etc. </div></div>

That's pretty open ended. Me personally my rifle (GAP) shoots Federal GMM 168's to a .25 MOA all day long. I have loaded some 175 SMK, Lapua Brass, Fed 210M primers, on varget at 40 grains and 41 grains. Both shot great at 100 and good at 200. Just haven't had the time to do a ladder test to work upwards and find the sweet spot.

BT