• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Great problem with the H-S Precision rifle.

Re: Great problem with the H-S Precision rifle.

I agree with that statement, and am patiently waiting for something from HS.

My knowledge of metals comes mostly from tearing it up, so I'll keep my opinion to myself about that
Is it just me or did the OP's englais get lots better after his first half dozen posts or so, after he started gettin called out ? Just sayin . . .

We need Clark to show us what a gun blown up by over pressure looks like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

HS is a good company.

</div></div>

I will agree with it, when the problem will be solved.

For today we have an unpleasant fact that HS Precision, completely ignored us within 3 months(!!!),
and contacted us only after the publication here.
Mr. Sartorius have confirmed that have accepted the information.

We are still waiting.))

Some more photos. ))
[img:left]http://
1.jpg
[/img] [img:left]http://
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to mention that EVERYTHING in the pics, hand written or printed is in english </div></div>

Cus nobody in Russia knows English right...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to mention that EVERYTHING in the pics, hand written or printed is in english </div></div>

Cus nobody in Russia knows English right...? </div></div>

but when people take notes for personal use, they tend to revert to their native tongue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to mention that EVERYTHING in the pics, hand written or printed is in english </div></div>

Cus nobody in Russia knows English right...? </div></div>

but when people take notes for personal use, they tend to revert to their native tongue </div></div>

Yeah that's probably true. I think the OP is posting this on behalf of somebody else so that may explain a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

HS is a good company.

</div></div>

I will agree with it, when the problem will be solved.

For today we have an unpleasant fact that HS Precision, completely ignored us within 3 months(!!!),
and contacted us only after the publication here.
Mr. Sartorius have confirmed that have accepted the information.

We are still waiting.))
</div></div>

I have never had a problem contacting them. In all fairness, you could have simply called. I usually call a company first as I like to talk to a real person and have a name I can call back. If I had a similar situation happen to me and I got no response by email, I would have called after a week. It is a moot point now as they do know and are working the problem. It's probably not going to be resolved tomorrow,so I imagine as painful as it is you and the owner will be waiting for a little longer.

I am interested in a couple things in your pictures. It looks like a very interesting match. I was wondering if you could describe the course of fire. The other thing I was curious about was there seems to be a lot of American products on the range. I am not questioning that it takes place in Russia. I am just surprised there aren't more Russian products. Russia has a great shooting heritage. They consistantly dominate in sports like Biathlon, one of my favorite to watch. I would have expected to see a few Dragonov SVD's on the range or some Mosin Nagants, but most of the rifles and scopes appear to be from outside Russia. Like I said, its just an observation not an accusation, it just aroused my curiosity as to why this was the case? I mean it looks like a commercial for Nightforce.

I dont think the cold had anything to do with it . I worked out side all winter long in temps down to -2F and none of my parts seperated from my body
grin.gif
. the only experience I have with steel is threading, bending and installing scheduale 80 rigid steel conduit from 1/2 " up to 6 " in diameter . anything I ever twisted off looked alot different than those pics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have never had a problem contacting them.
--------------------
I am interested in a couple things in your pictures.

</div></div>

We have sent them more then 10 letters with photos.
And their representatives have been given a letter and pictures of the broken
rifle on Shot Show in Las Vegas.

OK. We are still waiting.))

The RF Army uses SVD, SV-98, and some types of .50 calibers weapons.
The given competitions are for snipers teams of special forces, power structures,
security agencies, free arrows.))
They can choose the rifles and equipment which they need.
NF has the most vertical adjustments.
Usually are used NF, Mark 4 and S&B.
Distances on this competitions, are from 500 meters to 1800 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [img:left]http://
10.jpg
[/img]
</div></div>

Looks like the break originated from a bending force compressing the top of the barrel and separating it at the bottom, like the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle hit something hard or something hit the top of the front scope mount hard.

BTW, one of the original photos on the first post appears to now be gone. Also suspicious that he won't call, but will wage an Internet campaign...

I dunno if this thread is legit, but I tend to think it is maybe on the up and up, after reading the entire thread.

Looks like bad metal to me. I hope that HS will debunk this this thread or make it right with the gun owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: layinclose2hell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: layinclose2hell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> however this case would be the first time I have ever seen a compromise that moved backwards 1 full centimeter thru all of the resistance and have a beautifully clean fracture. </div></div>

This statement makes me wonder if you have any idea what you are talking about. I have seen hundreds of sheared bolts that did absolutely NO damage to the hole or the threads and I literally removed what was left of the bolts with my fingers. If the reciever itself was flawed, the only thing that was a "beutifully cleaned fracture" was a few small hard bolts of which you thought earlier was a filled in hole. With the forces applied in the chamber of a .338, those bolts (ie: reciever to stock and scope base) would be absolutely nothing to shear in a very clean break if the reciever itself was comprimised.

okie </div></div>

Sheared bolts are a different animal altogether. Highbinder makes a very valid point. I do not believe it is shear at work, and there may definitely be a metal failure due to inconsistencies or flaws. I am not debating these facts. What I am saying is that the supplemental areas offered resistance, and if there was resistance for even a millisecond, the reactive force will attempt to dissipate in another direction before moving backwards, thus exposing a metallurgic flaw. The pressures involved could have compounded over time, and caused this unique reaction, that is true. Once again, I am looking forward to seeing the results of HS Precisions tests on the metal, because it will eliminate all variables that we are debating with scientific fact. I believe it is unrealistic to not take into account all of the other variables at work here, because I am sure that HS Precision will scrutinize the evidence, and determine if other receivers are also affected, or if it was a compound of issues that caused the failures. Let’s wait to hear.

And for the record, here is the reactive information for hardware utilized for attaching:

ASTM, SAE AND ISO GRADE MARKINGS AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES FOR STEEL FASTENERS
Identification
Grade Mark Specification Fastener
Description Material Nominal Size
Range (in.) Mechanical Properties
Proof Load
(psi) Yield Strength
Min (psi) Tensile Strength
Min (psi)

Blah blah blah......

The nut manufacturer, at his option, may add other markings to indicate the use of atmospheric corrosion resistant steel.
Specifications --
ASTM A563 -- Carbon and Alloy Steel Nuts.
ASTM A194/A194M -- Carbon and Alloy Steel Nuts for Bolts for High Pressure and High Temperature Service.
</div></div>

My point was....that bolts shearing cleanly with no damage to the metal around them is not only NOT rare but in fact common, especially with forces as high and abrupt as those in the chamber of a HP rifle. Wether they or thier holes had anything to do with the fracture I certainly dont know. The only thing I do know is that no one on this thread has much of an idea what happened either and thats if anything did actually happen at all. I bet HSP will find out either way.

BTW, nice copying skills. I've got a book like that too.

okie

Thanks. Came out of my Structural Engineering textbook from years ago. I agree that HS will find the problem, and without any doubt I am awaiting to see their response. I am interested in what they have to say about the properties of the action. I am more interested if they will find more instances on actions built in the same lot.

I am a pessimist by nature, but I can't bring myself to be able to add this one up at all. Patiently waiting for HS….

Where is all the Dragunov's at? Long range shooting in Russia, you would think there would be at least one in the pics.
Can civilians in Russia buy Dragunovs? Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UH-1H Huey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can civilians in Russia buy Dragunovs?
</div></div>

SVD for civilians certified as a "Carbine Tiger".

.sk.: I also know that in russia they use MCS-116m made by KBP, and also lobajev SVL 408 cheytac and some ASVK 50 cal rifles, if you can tell me something abou ASVK KORD accuracy... you can send me the PM I speak russian too
wink.gif

and what about Deadal DS ?

I just read through the entire thread and want to ask a couple questions:

1) The top of the action at the break is at a point. Does this mean that this is where the separation or failure originally occured? Im just thinking, this is a circle, that means that the breaking point must also be the weakest point right? And whenever I used to break PVC pipes as a kid, I noticed that they always made this exact pointed shape. As I can't really imagine a clean break (like if the bottom of the action was the starting point, perfectly rounded) going into the pointed tip, I would imagine it would have originated at the top of the action correct?

2) Leading off of that, I used to break these PVC pipes by whacking them on the flat ground and I got almost identical looking fractures. If I remember correctly, the portion of the tube that had the point on it was the part that broke off of the main piece of pipe, which i held in my hand after the break. The part that was "indented", for lack of a better term, would be facing upwards. Let me put this into a picture for you guys to better explain this: If I were to be holding this rifle with the barrel in my hand and the muzzle facing the same direction as my back is facing (stock out in front of my body, muzzle to my rear), and slammed the bottom of the action against the ground, the resulting fracture would look identical to what would happen with the PVC pipe. Hopefully this makes some sense to you guys, I have a hard time getting a visual image across through words alone...

3) This is more of a question for you guys and not just a statement but, If the action I just described were to have actually happened, wouldn't there be at least some scratches dealt to the lugs on the bolt? If there were any twisting/bending done in this case, with the bolt closed on a chambered round, wouldn't the lugs experience some sort of damage? In any way shape or form?

4) The OP claims the rear of the reciever split and moved backwards in the stock exactly one centimeter. Does this mean that it moved straight backwards? If it did then there would be no lines or scratches on the bolt itself correct?

I'm merely thinking that by looking at any irregular marks on the bolt, we might be able to get an idea of what happened, and in which direction.

This is merely my notes in the goings on in this thread. This is an honest post, I would like any remarks and comments to remain at an intellectual and factual level. I am no expert on anything, but merely seek some guidance to an understanding of this fracture.

Excuse me if my terminology is off also, I am unaware of proper wording for this and want it to be openly known that I don't want any arguments to sprout off of what i have asked/said.

Thank you,
-Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MC-116 and SVL (in 6.5x284) are in photos.
I ,never used Dedal.
) </div></div>
Besides the messed up HS, I like your picts of the comp, I see some unique setups as well as some old time favorites. How do leupolds hold up over there and do they offer the same warranty to you guys as they do for us here? Its good to see and talk to some more international shooters, adds more diverse shooting knowledge/info to this site.

The picture on pg 11 looks like the bottom 2/3s is darker and appears to be "Crystalized" and the top 1/3 is shiney as in a fresh break.

I have seen this on shafts that have broke. It appears as if there is a flaw or a crack in the metal. And for awhile the only part really holding was the top 1/3 of the action where it was shiney. I would bet you will find this was a rare flaw in the composition of the metal.

This is not an "Overpressure" break. I have seen several of them in person and none of them look like this. They flat tear shit up including spliting the action and spitting the barrel off the gun.

Leupold offers the same warranty as for US.

Everything occurred during the shot. After firing a piece of action moved straight backwards.
It was cut bolts and aluminium backdrop of bolt handle on AISC.
No other unusual marks. It can be seen in photos.

Pictures from different times. Besides various lighting, within three months place of breaking
truly has become darker, and stains like rust appeared there .
We are sure that this is exactly a defect of the metal.

[img:center]http://
10024.jpg
[/img]

10201.jpg
[/img]

ba0a85d6.jpg
[/img]

It's interesting that you're getting discoloration of the metal. HS Precision advertises their actions as stainless steel. While stainless isn't rust proof, I would expect it to take longer than three months for oxidation to appear. Has HS Precision made arrangments yet to have the rifle shipped back for testing or any other arrangements to have it tested?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's interesting that you're getting discoloration of the metal. HS Precision advertises their actions as stainless steel. While stainless isn't rust proof, I would expect it to take longer than three months for oxidation to appear. Has HS Precision made arrangments yet to have the rifle shipped back for testing or any other arrangements to have it tested? </div></div>

We have no any response from HS Precision yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice comments))))

Gentlemen, I can repeat.) The owner of a rifle isn't engaged handloading.
In this rifle were used only lapua factory cartridges. Incident has occurred at competitions.
In case of need it is possible to make rifle in examination.
</div></div>

We know you're lying.
You are not from Russia
You broke the action with torque, either trying to remove the barrel or giving out pole dancing lessons.

Go ahead and admit your fault and stop trying to drag HS Precision down. </div></div>

KYS338 are you a metallurgist?
Do you realize how much torque it would take to shear that action or cause a break? If it was from torque it would not look like that.

I try to stay out of crap like this but you are out you azz on this one.
Out of curiosity what do you base your opinion on? </div></div>

I dont have to be a metalurgist to know what broken or sheared metal looks like. I own a heavy equipment repair shop. I see metal break, snap, bend and flex everyday.

Ive seen 1.5" bolt heads snap right off from one man putting 300 ft lbs of torque on them with a 36" torque wrench. That is not a small bolt and you would be surprised the amount of torque you can apply with the right tool and the human body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterdays photos. [img:center]http://
8.jpg
[/img] [img:center]http://
7.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

Who did the inlet on that stock? It looks like it was done with a dull dremel tool? I also see teeth marks on the action which gives me the impression you clamped it in a vise or used an improper wrench. This causing the action to snap from a fault in the metal. just my guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterdays photos. [img:center]http://
8.jpg
7.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

Who did the inlet on that stock? It looks like it was done with a dull dremel tool? I also see teeth marks on the action which gives me the impression you clamped it in a vise or used an improper wrench. This causing the action to snap from a fault in the metal. just my guess. </div></div>

can you point out the teeth marks? i am failing to see them.

in all honesty, to me the damage to the rifle and stock looks like the results of what the op is describing.

If you look at the fouth photo from the bottom, just behind the recoil lug and below the serial number, you will see what appears to be teeth marks from a bench vise or similar tool on the receiver. I'm curious as to the source of those marks myself.

Everyone judges in the extent of their perversity.)))))

Photos are made at various times, on the first page, there is a pic without chipping under the serial number.)

[img:left]http://
72b277b1.jpg
[/img]

But what caused the marks that are visible in the picture where the barrel and the remains of the front of the receiver are out of the stock? It looks as though it was clamped in a vise.

Good luck with HS, hopefully they will ask for the receiver, inspect it, and replace it. It sure looks like some freak incident due to metallurgical causes.

No matter how entertaining, there is no use to try to diagnose this issue just looking at pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterdays photos. [img:center]http://
8.jpg
7.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

Who did the inlet on that stock? It looks like it was done with a dull dremel tool? I also see teeth marks on the action which gives me the impression you clamped it in a vise or used an improper wrench. This causing the action to snap from a fault in the metal. just my guess. </div></div>

can you point out the teeth marks? i am failing to see them.

in all honesty, to me the damage to the rifle and stock looks like the results of what the op is describing. </div></div>

Third picture down, under the serial number.... or what's left of it. Looks like vise jaws.

I'm not going to play "internet detective" like so many with little to no fucking experience are...

My opinion: Thats a scary looking break, and I'm glad no one is injured.

I'm also a little pissed that HS hasnt done shit yet. Its been over a week...

You'd think a company would scramble to take care of a catastrophic problem with one of their products, especially since its exposed to the public which buys their products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No "Internet Detective" here. Curious to see if HS Warranties that rifle with teeth marks on it. </div></div>

Being that it looks like a flaw in the stock, and not due to any assembly errors or marks I don't see why they wouldn't warranty it. Unless it's out the warranty period but that would be shitty too. Does your car dealership not warranty engine work because you have a ding on your door?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Third picture down, under the serial number.... or what's left of it. Looks like vise jaws. </div></div>

am i seeing a different set of pictures? i don't see the serial number in the third picture. the fourth one i do see the serial number but the only marks i see on it look to be some sort of epoxy probably from bedding a scope base.

The third picture down shows the barrel, recoil lug, and the remains of the front part of the receiver with the serial # 3588 and a row of marks underneath the serial number.

I completely agree that HS precision needs to investigate this and if it is found that there is a problem with their receiver they are going to need to look at that entire lot of receivers.

I don't see how they can do this without the receiver in question because they will need to run some tests to determine the cause of the failure. I do know from investigating aircraft mishaps that metallurgists can determine the cause of a failure. That is what needs to happen here.

I own a 2000 HTR and love it. It's my favorite rifle. I have never had a single issue with it. I think HS precision is a great company. How they handle this will speak a great deal about their company, however. I'm surprised that they did not immediately ask the op to send the rifle back to the factory with a synopsis of the problem. The problem as I see it is that, if there is a problem with the metal in a batch of their receiver's they could have a huge liability issue. No one has been injured that we know of to date, but the longer this case drags on without substantive investigation, the more opportunity for someone to be injured if there is a problem. I don't think this is being alarmist. It's just common sense!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The third picture down shows the barrel, recoil lug, and the remains of the front part of the receiver with the serial # 3588 and a row of marks underneath the serial number. </div></div>

oops, i didn't realize i could scroll to the right and see more of the picture.

i don't know what those marks are but they look much too superficial to be caused by a bench vise. they are also forward of the break. if someone was trying to be removed improperly, i would think the break would be between the vise and barrel, not behind the vise. even with a bench vise, you would have to crank it down to hold the receiver causing deep marks. even then, i would suspect to see more slipping type gouges in the metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No "Internet Detective" here. Curious to see if HS Warranties that rifle with teeth marks on it. </div></div>

Being that it looks like a flaw in the stock, and not due to any assembly errors or marks I don't see why they wouldn't warranty it. Unless it's out the warranty period but that would be shitty too. Does your car dealership not warranty engine work because you have a ding on your door? </div></div>

I think it's a little more than a ding in the door
laugh.gif
If i were HS i would not Warranty a cracked reciever that has Teeth marks on it. Good luck to OP.

Those marks aren't even deep enough to wory about other than finish, they would have to be alot deeper to have helped put enough stess on the action to remotely assist in the break. I use a vise several times a week and marks like that are left with minimal force and no metal stress to any other parts and alot of the metal I deal with is not heat treated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those marks aren't even deep enough to wory about other than finish, they would have to be alot deeper to have helped put enough stess on the action to remotely assist in the break. I use a vise several times a week and marks like that are left with minimal force and no metal stress to any other parts and alot of the metal I deal with is not heat treated. </div></div>

to me, they don't even look like they are into the finish. they look like they'd buff out if you wiped them down with some oil.