• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

H4831 vs H4831sc

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
Hodgdon lists the burn rates for 4831 and 4831sc as the same. Has anybody substituted 4831 for 4831sc? If so, any issues?

TIA

Re: H4831 vs H4831sc

SC - stands for Short Cut - as in shorter cut extruded kernels, same powder cut smaller. Meters and settles in the case a little easier.

sc feeds better through powder measures.

10wrxoh.jpg

I am aware of the different sized kernels--just wanted to make sure the loads are otherwise comparable.

Anybody ACTUALLY switched back and forth? I am not looking for theoretical info. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody ACTUALLY switched back and forth? I am not looking for theoretical info. Thanks. </div></div>

Yes, they are the same powder, and can be substituted for one another. The advantage of the SC is that is flows better through powder meters. If you have a load that you worked up with H4831 non-SC, and have SC, it will shoot the same.

Holy shit, I just realized what that is taped to the measure. That is GREAT. I used to sit my loading blocked full of charged cases on the dryer to help settle the powder, but the "massager" is priceless!!

Used both but stick with 4831sc now due to it metering easier. Didnt see any performance difference between the two.
Just got a Lb of retumbo to try though we'll see how it does.

Thanks guys. I can get H4831, but SC cannot be found. Looks like I'll have something to do this winter!!

Yes, get a pair of toenail clippers and cut every extruded kernel in half. Voila, H4831sc.

the powders are interchangable I've been using them for my .270 and .300wm loads for awhile now.

Have interchanged the two in my 25-06 Ack. with no deviation in accuracy or velocities. The only difference being how they flow but that's the whole purpose of the short cut kernels.

If you have a look at Jerry Tierney's load data, from the load development he did for his .284 about five years ago, he separated his H4831 loads from H4831sc loads, and found an accuracy difference: minor velocity changes, but large changes in group size for the same charge weight.

There's an internet phenomena I call 'creeping get-along-ism' that most sites suffer from. People want to get along, so they go along: To be accepted in the group they chime-in to support what someone else said, and/or what appears to be the majority view, but without any real experience of knowledge of their own.

I'm not accusing anyone here of the above, but one of the things I enjoy about this site is that its members more often than not post from actual experience, and in many cases that experience is worth something to the community.

Using Berger 180VLD's, Jerry loaded 54.0 grains of H4831sc, got 2843fps with an SD of 9. It produced .3" groups at 100. The load was a good performer all-around. Then Jerry loaded 54.0 grains of H4831, got 2850fps with an SD of 9. It shot .7" groups at 100 - the worst of all loads at 100 - but shot the best for him at 1000 (and one 3" 5-shot group at 1K).

I have the Dillon RL550B with Dillon Measure(s).

I use the H-4831SC.

BTW, H-4350 is also referred by Hodgdon as an Extreme/SC propellant.

Greg

BTW, on a more humorous note, why defend Brooklyn? ...and from whom...; Astoria?

I did some of my earier growing up in Astoria, LI..., ROFLMAO!

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hodgdon lists the burn rates for 4831 and 4831sc as the same. Has anybody substituted 4831 for 4831sc? If so, any issues?

TIA </div></div>

I've used both H-4831 (initially) and H-4831sc (8# jug) in my 338 Lapua loads. Didn't see any real differences in velocities, but I was tinkering in the beginning, so certainly not 'control' testing by any means.

It's my 'go to' powder for the 250s out to 1k, which is a somewhat mild load.

I use a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 and metering really isn't an issue, but in this case, smaller is better, at least when using standard powder measures.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, on a more humorous note, why defend Brooklyn? ...and from whom...; Astoria?

I did some of my earier growing up in Astoria, LI..., ROFLMAO!

Greg </div></div>

HA ! Actually grew up in Brooklyn - think Saturday Night Fever-land. Queens is fine - I think its border may be the longest peaceful boundary in the world after US/Canada. ;-)

Staten Island, on the other hand... (reaches for lupara) fuhgeddaboutit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's an internet phenomena I call 'creeping get-along-ism' that most sites suffer from. People want to get along, so they go along: To be accepted in the group they chime-in to support what someone else said, and/or what appears to be the majority view, but without any real experience of knowledge of their own.

I'm not accusing anyone here of the above, but one of the things I enjoy about this site is that its members more often than not post from actual experience, and in many cases that experience is worth something to the community.

Using Berger 180VLD's, Jerry loaded 54.0 grains of H4831sc, got 2843fps with an SD of 9. It produced .3" groups at 100. The load was a good performer all-around. Then Jerry loaded 54.0 grains of H4831, got 2850fps with an SD of 9. It shot .7" groups at 100 - the worst of all loads at 100 - but shot the best for him at 1000 (and one 3" 5-shot group at 1K). </div></div>

I have no personal experience with dildos. On a powder measure, that is. But I must say it is a good all around performer and if you have any loss of effectiveness it may be due to excessive distance from the target, or perhaps a battery change is in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you leave the vibrator running the entire time you are throwing powder charges? (SERIOUS). </div></div>

Pretty much. I will turn it on and throw about 5 charges, and then start weighing/adjusting. I try to keep a uniform time of vibration for each throw, so If I am refilling primers or dumping the ammo bin, I will turn it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no personal experience with dildos. On a powder measure, that is. But I must say it is a good all around performer and if you have any loss of effectiveness it may be due to excessive distance from the target, or perhaps a battery change is in order. </div></div>LOL! I see that the considerable time you spent studying anatomy didn't go to waste.
laugh.gif