• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing has anyone cut and ABS barrel

tjonh2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2007
ND
i am wondering if anyone here has cut an abs barrel down. i want to cut the carbon and the barrel then reinstall the end cap and thread it for a suppressor. is this possible.

Re: has anyone cut and ABS barrel

seeing how they are put to together I would say prolly not I would not want to remove any of the carbon fiber or seat the shoulder of the suppressor against the CF. Also I would be worried about how much metal is left under the cf, there may not be enough metal there to thread for the suppressor. Just my thoughts call Mike at abs tho.

ive tried to call mike and no awnser and doesnt seem to return calls.

i have other abs barrels and they have threaded end caps on them. its the barrel with a threaded endcap that has threads on the endcap for break and suppressor.

just make sure to either use a good resperator when cutting carbon and fiberglass or use a fluid flood over the part.

I would wonder if there is any tension on the end that would be upset when the cap is cut off.

the cap is treaded on the barrel so i would remove the threaded end cap and cut fiber and barrel, then reinstall the end cap,as long as i replace the threaded end can i should be ok then right. i have a 300 rum that when i take my break off will have the end cap move on it. i thread it back on and im good to go again,

anyone personally cut one or had one cut?

bra260 has a valid point...is the composite under tension or compression? Was it wound on between the end caps to a certain determined compression or tension, or will it matter if the end caps are removed? I'd bet the results will result in a degredation of accuracy. Do it and report on the results. I'll buy you a Starbucks espresso if it stays the same. JMHO

that sounds like a 800 dallor dare. i dont like the way this is going.

does anyone know how to get ahold of mike or talley at abs so that i can get this awnsered. ive been trying to get ahold of them for a weed and they havent returned my messages.

just email Mike absbarrels@gmailDOTcom. He got back to me within mninutes the couple times I emailed him.

they are waiting on your to ruin your barrel so they can sell another one !!

Just kidding , I don't think that ABS barrels are "tensioned" at all so your idea of cutting the barrel and carbon back then rethreading the barrel should work as long as care is taken.

I'm not sure how the carbon will cut in a lathe ,I know that its tough as hell on tooling.

what is your barrel (specs)? perhaps you'd be better off selling it and buying one the way you want it.