• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hat Recommendations

Kimbertop253

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2023
Alabama
Summer is almost here, and I’m soliciting ideas on a hat to shoot in. I’m bald as an egg and shave what little genetics has left me. I’m also on an immunosuppressant that makes me sensitive to direct sunlight. I’ve got the sun shirt thing taken care of but a ball cap isn’t cutting it.

So, what have the more experienced folks used that gives good coverage but doesn’t impart target visuals?

41EA7EA7-05B0-4549-A70B-70CAE326EBDB.jpeg

Skin cancer is a big concern for many.

Get a thin cycling skull cap- they're made of moisture wicking material and have an SPF of about 50. Designed to keep sun off head under a bike helmet. Some even have a flap in the back for neck coverage.

The lighter the color the more heat it'll reflect. You can combine it with a wide brimmed hat to get pretty good sun protection.

I wear booney covers when I’m out in the sun all day. I’ve been buzzing my head since middle school so pretty much the same as being bald. I’ve also had bouts with basal cell carcinoma so I don’t play around anymore. These do a great job of blocking the sun and also keeping your head cool with the moisture wicking properties.

On a serious note (In the Pit! Really?) I've found Tilley to be a great hat. Pricey ($100 or so) but they last and do the job. they even come with a replacemenet guarantee. Dicks Sporting goods sells a knock off for about $30 but it's not the same quality.

tilley.comTilley US Online Shop - Hats, Down Jackets, Coats and ...

Discover Tilley's hats, down jackets and clothing, uniting fashion with high performance. Shop online the collections for men, women, and children that are all designed to keep you comfortable

Reactions: BAMAboy18
I have the same issue, top of my head will fry along with my ears. The ears are a real issue and has been for years.

I want something light, that will really breathe, but it needs to have a rim all the way around. That is almost as important as having it breathe.

For a long time I wore the basic "boonie" hat. But they really don't breathe well. Found one that is mesh up the sides that has a solid top over your head. It looks stupid, but my head does not sweat like in a boonie and it keeps the sun off the ears.

I am sold on it, sadly no pic of it.

Boonies should be made of micro vented, moisture wicking material. Bicycle racing jerseys, shooting team jerseys, are all made of it. Graphics are gas dye sublimated onto the white fabric.

Nylon, crushable, tie down, washable, works on the Ocean, Desert, high winds

Costa offers a wide brimmed straw hat if that suits your fancy.

Get a cowboy hat. Straw for summer, felt for winter

"I'm your huckleberry"

I do wear a sunbrero while mowing cause ole!