• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Heavy Barrels

cj357

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Ohio
I’m thinking of building an AR in .223 to bench shoot out to 600 and I’m looking for some opinions on barrel length/twist rate. I’ll be shooting 68-80 gr bullets and I like a heavy gun for the bench. I’m looking at maybe a 24” SS bull from Model 1 with a 1-8 rate, a 20" White oaks .223 Varmint barrel with a 1-7 twist or the White oaks 26”Match rifle barrel in 1-8 twist. If I wanted to stay in the 300 dollar range what would be a good choice for the most accurate AR?

Re: Heavy Barrels

If you want the most accuracy you might have to spend a bit more than your $300 limit.

For 600 and closer, a barrel 18-20" will give you more than enough velocity to get you there with a good bullet. I'd personally go 1:7 or 1:8 twist myself to stabilize the heavier bullets. My .223 is a 1:9, and it is much more accurate with bullets in the 68/69gr range.

I went with a krieger 1-7.7 20 in. full inch under the handguard and it tapers down to .750 after the gas block. Really likes 77gr. and 80gr. SMK for the longer stuff.

If you are just going to shoot out to 600 with 68-80gr 1 in 8 will do the trick. For your price range I will suggest the rock river arms barrel that they use for their Predator Pursuit upper.

Try here.

[link]http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=275[/link]

Choose your length.

And welcome to the Hide.
Myself as well as a bunch of guys around here can attest these are good barrels especially for the price. Mine shoots sub MOA all day long. Hitting a 5" target at 600 is not a problem.

They fall within your price range and should do what you are looking for.

Ryan