• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Hello Alaska shooters

Re: Hello Alaska shooters

Last week in September would be a good choice for an AK shoot. Fishing is mostly over, as is hunting. The weather is usually still good too.

I'm game for early October-We're a hardy bunch-I shoot pretty much year round except for the below zero days-no glove trigger finger can't take it anymore!

SavageStag and are planning on being at the 300 yard Range at Birchwood tomorrow around 1-2pm ish... but I'll probably only be doing some load development with about 21 rounds and some long range .22LR

Be nice to meet some other folks
smile.gif

Come on out!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SavageStag and are planning on being at the 300 yard Range at Birchwood tomorrow around 1-2pm ish... but I'll probably only be doing some load development with about 21 rounds and some long range .22LR

Be nice to meet some other folks
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, come on out!

Always up to shoot. I'm usually at Birchwood once a week or so..Been a little busy lately. I'm going to try and make it out for the MOA shoot at birchwood on the 30th this month. Should be fun. I just found out I'm deploying so my summer and fall is going to be shot...so to speak.

My father in law has a plane at Birchwood Airport, is that the range across the street? I get out there frome time to time, and I hate to shoot by myself. I'll keep an eye on this thread for when I get out that way. Anyone ever come out to Kodiak? We have an official 500yard range, and I have steel out to a mile. You can pretty much shoot anywhere here outside of the city limits. Easy to get away fom the crowds.

Another Alaska shooter checking in. I am at UAF and would definitely be up for some range time in the future.

A little off topic, but does anyone know a good trustworthy smith locally that will cut threads for a suppressor? I called a few today, and was a little surprised at the responses I got when I asked them if they cut Class 3a threads.

Try calling Steve at Alaska Tactical. He sells suppressors, maybe he knows a smith.

338-3458

Good Luck
smile.gif

Checkin in too...on JBER...I also know/work with "Sgt. Recoil" on here. We're down for weekend shoots. Busy during the week, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little off topic, but does anyone know a good trustworthy smith locally that will cut threads for a suppressor? I called a few today, and was a little surprised at the responses I got when I asked them if they cut Class 3a threads. </div></div>
see if they can help you...http://alaskacustomfirearms.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I was just in Kenai for 2 weeks visiting a friend. I was about to go through trigger withdrawals! LOL We could of hooked up........ </div></div>

Not sure why all those Hiders who come to Alaska do not let us know they are coming. Its always after they get back to the states they say they were here.

Offers still stands, anyone coming up let me know.

What you do while here? </div></div>

OK,just letting you know,I'll be up there next week sometime,be living in the Kenai area

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I was just in Kenai for 2 weeks visiting a friend. I was about to go through trigger withdrawals! LOL We could of hooked up........ </div></div>

Not sure why all those Hiders who come to Alaska do not let us know they are coming. Its always after they get back to the states they say they were here.

Offers still stands, anyone coming up let me know.

What you do while here? </div></div>

Too late, 45-308 moved to Kentucky last year. But frogmen and I meet up at Birxhwood sometimes.

OK,just letting you know,I'll be up there next week sometime,be living in the Kenai area </div></div>

Hi All:
would any of you AK shooters be interested in shooting rifle match's? I am the High Power director for the Alaska Rifle Club. Besides the regular across the course match's, we have Mid-Range prone match's every month, until August, which are shot at 300, 500 & 600 yards, at Ft Rich, and in June, July and August we have 2 day (Sat & Sun) Long Range match's at Ft Greely, which are 800, 900 & 1000 yards on Sat and 3 times at 1000 yards on Sun. We shoot both High Power Prone and F-Class (using a rest) at both the Mid and Long Range match's. Would like to have anyone interested join us. I live by Kenai, and practice at SnowShoe, but I go up to Ft Rich and Ft Greely for most of the match's. Shooting the match's at Ft Rich and Ft Greely, gives you good sight settings for your rig at 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yards, and it's easy to figure for in between. I have 2 different scopes that I have used on my .308 and at 1000 yards I have between 3 and 4 minutes difference in there sight settings.

You do not have to atke that class at Ft Rich to shoot there. That class is for the RO's & SO's that run the range. You also cannot just go and shoot anytime. The Alaska Rifle Club has to go through the red tape, to get permission to use the KD range, and we do it for the yearly shooting season. We have to provide the RO's and SO's to run the range, and Army units have first choice. We also do the same for Ft Greely, and the RO/SO cards are good at any military base. We have to provide our own targets and frames. When we have match's, anyone is welcome to come. You can find our schedule at http://www.akrifleclub.com/

I may be interested this summer, my work schedule is not firm yet so I can't commit to any matches. I'll be in touch or feel free to PM me. I live in Sterling and also shoot at Snowshoe.

I'll be deployed but after I return it would be fun when I have time.

If your interested, e-mail me at [email protected] and we could get together at SnowShoe sometime. I am retired, but I stay busy so let me know a day or so ahead of time. I was out there last night, and they have worked on the road next to the rifle range. I live off K-Beach, about half way between Kenai and Soldotna.

I shot the AK Rifle club F-Class match last month and it was a lot of fun. There were only a couple of us shooting T/R so it would be fun to have more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot the AK Rifle club F-Class match last month and it was a lot of fun. There were only a couple of us shooting T/R so it would be fun to have more. </div></div>

Pm me when the next match, might be real fun

The match’s that I talked about on the post at Ft Rich are the mid-range and the next one is on 5/29. At those match’s, you can shoot most anything, as we have them any rifle/any sight. The High Power prone is shot off the ground, using a sling without any support. Then there is F-Class which has 2 different groups, F-TR and F Class Open. In F-TR you shoot off from a bipod, with or without a sling, using a .223 or .308, with any sight – scope or iron sights, and Open is any other caliber from a bipod or a tripod (like what the benchrest people use), all from the prone position. In the open you could use sandbags, but I’ve never seen that done. You cannot use a rest that cradles the whole rifle, but you can use a sandbag on the butt. You should have some kind of spotting scope, but a regular field one with a tripod works fine. The targets are pulled after each shot and a spotter and scoring disc are put in, so you get good feedback as you are shooting. We normally do unlimited spotter and 20 rounds for record, in 30 minutes, at each distance. There are 3 relays, with 1 relay shooting, 1 relay scoring and 1 relay working in the pits. At the Regional in June, we use the regular NRA time of 2 spotters and 20 rounds for record, in 22 minutes. Would be very glad to have you come shoot with us and if you need any more info give me a e-mail. I shot the High Power Prone, so I am familiar with the F-Class, but not all the things involved to shoot it, but can tell you that it is growing in popularity. And no, we do not shoot steel, but things like that could grow from interest in these match's. The Long Range match's at Ft Greely start in the middle of June, and we usually carpool up there and we have shooter from Fairbanks that come down also.

I heard that the Army offered you guys the use of the 1000yd range, but there is no pits. I guarantee we could come up with some steel targets for a "tactical" match if the opportunity presented itself. The match also wouldn't have to last all day due to no switching in and out of pits. Just an idea. BTW, what is your name AK Sgt Maj? I'm trying to put a face to ya.

No, the Army doesn't have a regular 1000 yard range at Ft Rich. They have some kind of temporary setup, which is why all the other ranges by Pendeau and Pendeau were closed for 2 weeks. When they shoot their 50's, they usually go to Greely, which is the only 1000 yard range in the state. Other people are talking about building one, but nobody has yet. My name is Jon Terhune, I'm the one that shoot's a bright red spacegun, and I shot a 397x19X's, out of the 400x40X possible last month. And I am the one who called you about the match, because I called all the JBER people needing info, but I am not sure who you are.

Man, I would love to come out and shoot with you guys....Not going to make it this year and by the time I get back I'll be pcs'ing.....

bummer....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot the AK Rifle club F-Class match last month and it was a lot of fun. There were only a couple of us shooting T/R so it would be fun to have more. </div></div>

Pm me when the next match, might be real fun </div></div>

I believe they are having one Sunday. Unfortunately I'm too broke to buy ammo this week so have fun!

Who has NRA mid range targets for sale locally? I need a couple ...

SavageStag, Alaska shooters supply has cheap .308 FMJ ammo ,around $10 a box
: )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has NRA mid range targets for sale locally? I need a couple ...

: ) </div></div>

If you're talking about for the match they supply the targets.
NO FMJ for me lol, My handloads did really well last time. Unfortunately my brass is worked too hard now so I need to come up with an annealer of some sort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has NRA mid range targets for sale locally? I need a couple ...

: ) </div></div>

If you're talking about for the match they supply the targets.
NO FMJ for me lol, My handloads did really well last time. Unfortunately my brass is worked too hard now so I need to come up with an annealer of some sort. </div></div>

Propane torch and drill works for me....at least until I can buy a annealing machine.

Checking in guys. I live on JBER and started shooting at Birchwood earlier this year. Just getting into the long range game and still figuring it all out. I'll be at Birchwood tomorrow at the 100 or 300 yard range with a gray toyota tundra if anyone is around. Not sure what time though.

What are you using for brass? If you want to shoot on Sunday, I have some 175's loaded in winchester military brass that I could let you use, as I am now using mainly Lapua brass in my Long Range rifle.

If you are not busy, come out to Pendeau on Sunday, 29th, either with or without your rifle. We are always willing to help any new shooter learn to shoot and the best way is to come to a match. If you want to shoot, the course is 20 rounds plus sighters, at 300, 500 and 600 yards, but you are welcome to just come out and watch and help if you want to help, and see what this is all about.

I sent LegioX an e-mail about getting F-Class centers, 300 and 500 yard, 100 of each for $37.90 plus shipping. Some of you could get together with him and spilt an order, but that wouldn't get here before the next match, it took about 5 days when I got my last order of them.

There will be a Mid-Range match on Sunday, May 29 at the Ft. Richardson Pedneau Range. Sign up time will be 8AM to 8:30AM. This will be a 60 shot for record match with unlimited sighters. The match fee will be $20.00 for annual ARC members or $25.00 for one day members. Yearly ARC membership is $25, and can be gotten at the match, if someone wants. Open chamber indicators will be required and will be available for $1 each.

There will be 20 shots for record at 300, 500, and 600 yards all slow fire prone plus sighters. For the mid-range prone category you must shoot off a sling but you can use a scope or "Any Sights". F class can use tripods or sandbags & F-TR use bipods. If anyone has questions, let me know and I'll get back with you.

Thanks for the generous offer Maj but I just won't be able to make it.

Also, D-Ice and I will be at birchwood tomorrow on A range at 10 if anyone wants to come shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AK Sgt Maj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent LegioX an e-mail about getting F-Class centers, 300 and 500 yard, 100 of each for $37.90 plus shipping. Some of you could get together with him and spilt an order, but that wouldn't get here before the next match, it took about 5 days when I got my last order of them. </div></div>

I didn't receive anything Sgt Maj. Also I'm working on the 29th and can't go to the match.
frown.gif

These are the targets that I use to practice with. They are only the centers, but if you want a bigger target, just get a roll of white paper, like butchers paper and put that underneath the centers. There are some other Hide shooters interested and you could split the cost with them, but they are only $37.90 for both the 300 and 500 yard centers.

Buy Together and Save
Buy Together For Only $37.90

TARGET: 500 YD F-CLASS REPAIR CENTER FOR MR-65
+
TARGET: 300 YD F-CLASS REPAIR CNTR FOR MR-63
Buy Together For Only $37.90
Buy Together Now

Below is the page at Creedmoor Sports where I get them.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889727&cat=563&page=1

Hope to see some of you guys at Ft Rich on Sunday, 5/29.

Hi all. There is a mid-range match at Ft Rich this Friday, 6/10, and everyone is welcome to come and shoot. There is also a 2 day Long Range match at Ft Greely next weekend, 6/18-19, that is 800, 900 and 1000 yards on Sat and 3 time at 1000 yards on Sunday, and you can shoot either day or both days. If someone needs more info, just ask.

Thought I would bump this to the top to see if anything is going on up here.

Checking in.
Anchorage.
Currently building a TRG-42 in .338LM.
Not showing it off until it's done, sorry. ;-]]
Wow. The prices in this state are UP THERE. Had to order from EuroOptic.

Anyway, GREETINGS!

Doesn't get much better than a TRG.

Nice to see some folks stirring up here. I know I am excited for slightly more hospitable range time here shortly.

I cannot speak highly enough of EuroOptic.com with respect to getting me my rifle! FANTASTIC, RAPID service at the best price imaginable.

I shopped locally with Sako dealers, Wild West Guns and Great Northern Guns. Each of them had a TRG in stock and the prices varied WILDLY. For bare-rifle I got a price of $3,750 at one place and $4,800 at another. Bare-rifle, TRG-42, each with Phosphate-coat and solid-color Stock.

At EuroOptic.com, I paid $2,600, SHIPPED USPS Priority. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This one was uncoated, but I'm going to give her a Dura-Coat paint job anyway, so I didn't waste my money on the Phosphate finish.

Got my Muzzle-Brake for $119 and an extra Mag. for $170, both on GunBroker.com.

Found a local, new TRG Bipod for $400 even.

Vortex Razor 5-20 and 20-MOA rail INBOUND with Vortex Rings.

About to start collecting Hornady 300's and shoot factory ammo until I get some brass built up, then load my own.

STOKED - I mean STOKED about this rifle. Something satisfying about work-in-progress!

That sounds like a fantastic set up.

In stark contrast I am just putting the finishing touches on budget .223 ackley. Just received an HS precision stock for it, but still waiting on a CG trigger and PTG dbm set up. When those come in it will go off for cerakote and bedding.

Rabbit Creek was PACKED today. (Sunday, 3/18) All the 'hundred-yard-wonders' were out. Some EXTREME novice para-military types burning up perfectly good gunpowder.

One fellow had no idea how to lock back his bolt on his AR. It was all sooped up, but in his hands it was useless. Poor fellow. NEVER utilized his safety, either. Probably has no idea that it has one of those either.

Wish I had purchased "black rifle" stock back in the '80's or so. I'd be a millionaire.

Did spot a Stan Jackson / H.S. Precision .338 LM though!

I was the guy with the .270 with one of the only McMillan Quiet Stocks still in use. I shot only 5 rounds. After that it was pointless. That sucker is a tack-driver.

You fellows been getting out?

Not yet, a combination of sickness, school, and work have been keeping me inside.

This weekend it is supposed to eek into the 20's and I don't have work so I am planning on getting some range time then.

I need to fire form some brass and then start some load development. Got 69 smk's, 77 smk's, 68 bthp's, 75 bthp's, 77 jlk's, 75 jlk's, 70 vld's, 75 vld's, and 75 a-max's so I should be able to find something that works well.