• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes help choosing base mount moa

Bangin_steel

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
Some were Texas
Putting a new base on a new rifle. What height moa should I go with 20 or 30. Want to be able to shoot 1000-1500 yrds with the scope adjustments. Scope is a leupold mk 4 6.5-20 x50 on a rem 700. Thanks.

Your scope will most likely have 70-75 minutes of adjustment in it. If you can zero at the center of that, you would have 35 minutes remaining to go up. In most 308's that'll get you to 1000. Since you didn't list your cartridge, bullet or velocity, we really can't answer your question. However, if you only need 50 minutes to get to 1500, the 20 moa base should work fine. If you need 60 moa to get there, you're going to need the 30 moa base. If you need more than that, get a bigger caliber or a different scope.

Your scope will most likely have 70-75 minutes of adjustment in it. If you can zero at the center of that, you would have 35 minutes remaining to go up. In most 308's that'll get you to 1000. Since you didn't list your cartridge, bullet or velocity, we really can't answer your question. However, if you only need 50 minutes to get to 1500, the 20 moa base should work fine. If you need 60 moa to get there, you're going to need the 30 moa base. If you need more than that, get a bigger caliber or a different scope.

Caliber is 300 wm and as far a bullet goes a 170 or 180 grain will be what I load for hunting but might try some different recipes for long range plinking but don't know velocity yet. Best I got so far I'm in the building process so I'm tryin to get a starting point.