• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help finding a 300PRC barrel.

ACrawford36

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Western NC
I have a Rem700 7mm Mag in an AI chassis. I don't know if it's possible but I was hoping to re barrel it to a 300PRC. #1 Is this possible?
Max I'll shoot is probably 1000yds because I have to drive 3 hours to get there.
#2 If any one has any barrel recommendations I'd like to hear them. I would be shooting suppressed.

I have a Rem700 7mm Mag in an AI chassis. I don't know if it's possible but I was hoping to re barrel it to a 300PRC. #1 Is this possible?
Max I'll shoot is probably 1000yds because I have to drive 3 hours to get there.
#2 If any one has any barrel recommendations I'd like to hear them. I would be shooting suppressed.
#1: Your receiver and bolt face would be good to go.
If your AI chassis is restricted to SAAMI length magnum magazines, this will be your tripping point as
the 300PRC needs CIP length mags.

#2: If you can solve the magazine issue, I would encourage you to contact Greg at SPR to discuss one of their excellent BugNut barrels chambered
in 300PRC that you could install yourself.

./

Reactions: ACrawford36
Those would be the SAAMI length mags.
Hornady factory ammo will be too long for them. Barely but still an issue.

If you reload, you could certainly adjust your COL to fit your current mag capability and motor on.

Ok I'll double check. Thanks for the pointers. I was thinking the OAL of the Hornady 300prc was 3.7 and the AI 300WM magazine was 3.85 in length. I was thinking it's the same magazine my buddy uses for his 300prc.

Ok I'll double check. Thanks for the pointers. I was thinking the OAL of the Hornady 300prc was 3.7 and the AI 300WM magazine was 3.85 in length. I was thinking it's the same magazine my buddy uses for his 300prc.
I just double checked with Hornady Match and Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo.
Neither would quite fit in the SAAMI 300WM mag.

Check with your bud. See what mags he has and what ammo he is stuffing in them.
That would be your best plan of attack compared to an internet forum with rednecks like me answering! :)

./

I just double checked with Hornady Match and Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo.
Neither would quite fit in the SAAMI 300WM mag.

Check with your bud. See what mags he has and what ammo he is stuffing in them.
That would be your best plan of attack compared to an internet forum with rednecks like me answering! :)

./
Will do, thanks for your help! Only barrel swaps I have ever done is AR's. Other than changing out a stock or adjusting a trigger and mounting optics, I haven't done much work on bolt guns.

Reactions: The D
Will do, thanks for your help! Only barrel swaps I have ever done is AR's. Other than changing out a stock or adjusting a trigger and mounting optics, I haven't done much work on bolt guns.
Don’t worry, bolt guns are getting to be firearm Legos just like the AR platform.

@Terry Cross so turns out I was wrong. I should've double checked prior to posting. The AI mags used in the chassis are labeled for 338. So I should be good. If I went through with it.

After contemplating for a bit I'm looking for a little input on ideas for whether or not to keep the gun set up as is for a while. It's basically been given to me pretty generously.

The farthest I'll shoot is 1000. I don't plan to reload so it'll mostly be using factory ammunition. It's a Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag Long Range in a AI AT-AICS chassis. Should I stick with this set up for a little while as I get back into LR shooting? Or go ahead and try to switch it up.

@Terry Cross so turns out I was wrong. I should've double checked prior to posting. The AI mags used in the chassis are labeled for 338. So I should be good. If I went through with it.

After contemplating for a bit I'm looking for a little input on ideas for whether or not to keep the gun set up as is for a while. It's basically been given to me pretty generously.

The farthest I'll shoot is 1000. I don't plan to reload so it'll mostly be using factory ammunition. It's a Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag Long Range in a AI AT-AICS chassis. Should I stick with this set up for a little while as I get back into LR shooting? Or go ahead and try to switch it up.
In my opinion, it boils down to ammo.
The 7mm RemMag is very, very capable within a mile. . . IF you have the right category of bullet that your particular rifle can group well.

Experiment with ammo on your existing setup.
If a good combination is found, your quest has ended. . . for now.

This would buy you time to see if your passion for distance shooting is more than a passing interest.
If so, you could make better informed decisions on what you would really want.

PS: The 338 mags will have the same length issues as the 300WM so you may possibly have gained no ground there.

Good luck.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it boils down to ammo.
The 7mm RemMag is very, very capable with a mile. . . IF you have the right category of bullet that your particular rifle can group well.

Experiment with ammo on your existing setup.
If a good combination is found, your quest has ended. . . for now.

This would buy you time to see if your passion for distance shooting is more than a passing interest.
If so, you could make better informed decisions on what you would really want.

PS: The 338 mags will have the same length issues as the 300WM so you may possibly have gained no ground there.

Good luck.
Understood. Thanks for the input! I think that's what I'll do.