• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help me decide on a .17hmr rifle

DedicatedShooter

Air Winger
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
NoVA
I have owned a Ruger 77/17 (walnut stock, standard non-floated barrel) for about 6 or 7 years now. I used to think it was a great rifle until the last year or so when I started taking shooting very seriously. I didn't really care that it grouped around 2" at 100yds until last year when I realized how terrible that really is!! I don't know what was up with that rifle, it wouldn't group with any type of ammo I put through it. I just sold the rifle yesterday only 6 hours after I listed it on an auction site and I got the same price that I paid for it years ago, $450! So I'm pumped.

I want a new bolt action .17 hmr with a bull barrel, upgraded stock (thumbhole, laminated, etc..), that is very accurate and carries a good reputation among .17 rifles. My budget is $500.

Thanks for the help!!

Re: Help me decide on a .17hmr rifle

You have the following options

- Savage 93
- Stevens
- Marlin
- CZ 452
- Browing T-bolt

Thats all i can remember off the top of my head

all good rifles, each with their own pros and cons

I have a savage 93 myself, and love it because of the accu-trigger

I have the Marlin 917V with a Rifle Basix trigger and a Boyd's Evolution on it. I love it, but use the Savage mags instead of the Marlin ones. I think for the money the Savage and Marlins are hard to beat.

Marlin 917V $189
Rifle Basix trigger $65
Boyds Evolution $50 on special
Millet rings and base $40
Stock finishing $20
Savage mags x2 $30
Pentax gameseeker scope $120

Total $514

Picture of a 186yd groundhog kill and group from the recent smack the smiley competition.
PICT0117.jpg

PICT0127.jpg

I have had my Marlin 917VS for around five years now and love it. I bought it to keep in the truck and it gets beat up and banged around something awful, but it is still a shooter. I had to do a little adjustment on the trigger but other than that I couldn't be happier with it. It will shoot a cloverleaf at 100 no problem. I have never had any experience with any other than mine but It has proven itself.

i also have a marlin with heavy barrel and love it, very accurate. i kinna wish i woulda gotten the savage just because i love the accutrigger

Another vote for the new Savage 93r17 TR(R)
The standard Tac style wood stock feels great in the hand and is a big step forward from the crap stocks of the previous Savages.
Accutrigger is sweet and is simple to adjust down to 1.5lbs.
The matte black textured paint looks and feels good.
Fluted heavy barrel, fully foated and a rather nice action.
Very accurate out of the box.

09062010_008.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beefa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for the new Savage 93r17 TR(R)
The standard Tac style wood stock feels great in the hand and is a big step forward from the crap stocks of the previous Savages.
Accutrigger is sweet and is simple to adjust down to 1.5lbs.
The matte black textured paint looks and feels good.
Fluted heavy barrel, fully foated and a rather nice action.
Very accurate out of the box.

09062010_008.jpg
</div></div>

+1 and i would glass bed it.

I have a CZ452 Varmint in hmr with a Rifle Basix trigger that seems to be breaking in pretty nicely.
smile.gif

Beefa,
Where did you get that rimfire cartridge holder on you .17, or did you make it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p620346</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beefa,
Where did you get that rimfire cartridge holder on you .17, or did you make it?</div></div>

Hey mate, I got it off Ebay mainly because it had the zippered bag for ammo storage. The shell holders were for .222 and above, but I simply stitched each elastic loop down the middle and they are a perfect fit for the .17 giving 10 round easy access storage
smile.gif

If you want the ebay link let me know.

I'd +1 on a Savage n accu trigger, pretty hard to beat for the money and very accurate. I went with SS n synthetic stock. It gets no babying and will smoke anything within 100 yards. If there's no wind, I've dropped a nuisance bird @ 256 yards.

My 17 is a Ruger 77/22mag that I rebarrelled with a green mountain barrel. It is very accurate. My experiance with Savage rimfires is very poor. I would look hard at CZ. I own more of their rimfires than any other brand.

I have a Remington 504t in .17 hmr and other than the loose bolt handle which was easily fixed with some epoxy in the right areas, it is hands down the best I have used (I have owned a few)I put a bushnell 3200 10x40m on the gun and used remington 597 magazines with a easy mod for back up mags, I even modded a eagle stock pack to hold mags

Id go with the 93 TR, I plan on getting a MKIITR in .22 and a 93TR in 17hmr in the next few months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCS Gorilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage, no doubt about it. Can't beat the accu-trigger</div></div>

I dunno, the CZ-453 set trigger is pretty darn nice.

Just ordered one of the savage tactical trainers. I'll let you know how she shoots. It's pretty hard to find much bad on them out there.

+1 for the savage TR. I've had my TRR for about a month now. I have a bushnell 3200 10X40 mil dot and leupold rings with a Harris bipod. This rifle shoots extremely consistantly sub moa up to 100m and will have no problem taking out magpies or gophers to 200 yards (with one shot). I absolutely love it.

[img:left]
Picture014Medium.jpg
[/img]

[img:left]
Picture009Medium.jpg
[/img]

Either the Marlin or the Savage would do. If you get the Marlin, you will need the Rifle Basix trigger and not all Rifle Basix triggers drop in. I had to file mine down to get it to work.

I just got a 93R17 BVS with a pine ridge .17 scope. I like it allot so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either the Marlin or the Savage would do. If you get the Marlin, you will need the Rifle Basix trigger and not all Rifle Basix triggers drop in. I had to file mine down to get it to work. </div></div>

Mine needed a little filing too for the safety to be good. It would hang between the safe and fire position. A little file and polish and it was awesome. Very safe and reliable now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either the Marlin or the Savage would do. If you get the Marlin, you will need the Rifle Basix trigger and not all Rifle Basix triggers drop in. I had to file mine down to get it to work. </div></div>

Mine needed a little filing too for the safety to be good. It would hang between the safe and fire position. A little file and polish and it was awesome. Very safe and reliable now.</div></div>

I filed mine down... and I wouldn't classify it as safe. If you pull the trigger really hard while it is on safe, the pin will drop when you put it back on fire. I just decided to live with it that way. I think I spent 4 hours filing over two days. I think the issue is on the Marlin side... a lot of variation from rifle to rifle.

Truthfully, I don't really use the safety much anyway. There is usually either a cartridge in the chamber or the bolt is out. I never treat safety as "safe."

Interesting thread - I'm about to buy a new .17HMR for pest control, and have come down to either the Savage 94R17 TR or the CZ452 Silhouette. The TR is not available in the UK yet, and I've heard bad things about them vs the CZ 452, and the balance of oponion seems to be that the CZ452 is better / more accurate once you replace the trigger.

Any thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GDSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thread - I'm about to buy a new .17HMR for pest control, and have come down to either the Savage 94R17 TR or the CZ452 Silhouette. The TR is not available in the UK yet, and I've heard bad things about them vs the CZ 452, and the balance of oponion seems to be that the CZ452 is better / more accurate once you replace the trigger.

Any thoughts? </div></div>

Heard bad things about them ?? Care to share? I have not seen a bad word anywhere on the net about them... anywhere.
As an owner of the 93R17 (assuming you meant that??) I cant fault it, and its very accurate straight out of the box without having to faff around replacing stuff, the accutrigger is easily adjusted to 1.5lbs with the supplied tool.
CZ owners like their CZ's... TR owners like their TR's.

If you read back through this thread, (and all the other forums with similar threads) all the owners are impressed with the 93R17TR rifle.

Only bad words or negativity I have seen have been from people assuming that the TR is the same as the previous MKII with the plastic stock... but thats just poorly educated people, not a problem with the TR.

Beefa,

Bear in mind that I'm in the UK, and as yet this rifle isn't available over here - we have to wait until August before they are imported. Most gun shops carry the CZ line in the UK, and may well be baised towards them simply because they have one in stock and can make a sale!

Things I've heard are that the build quality isn't that great (but better than the previous rimfires by Savage) the trigger is no good (which seems odd when it was given an award my a well known UK shooting website), it's overpriced (£730 in the UK / $1,100)and doesn't come threaded for a moderator (another £50 to get it done).

I should stress that these are not my opinions - just things I've heard about the Savage rifles. Not having seen the Savage TR I'm trying to decide whether to buy the CZ 452 Silhouette or wait for the Savage TR to arrive so I can compare them side by side and come to my own conclusions about which is better.

I agree that people seem happy with the Savage TR, which is partly why I wanted to hear some feedback from the USA - nobody in the UK has seen or tested this rifle yet, but the CZ has had excellent reviews. Does anyone out there own both, or have shot both and can offer a side - by - side comparison?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GDSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beefa,

Bear in mind that I'm in the UK, and as yet this rifle isn't available over here - we have to wait until August before they are imported. Most gun shops carry the CZ line in the UK, and may well be baised towards them simply because they have one in stock and can make a sale!

Things I've heard are that the build quality isn't that great (but better than the previous rimfires by Savage) the trigger is no good (which seems odd when it was given an award my a well known UK shooting website), it's overpriced (£730 in the UK / $1,100)and doesn't come threaded for a moderator (another £50 to get it done).

I should stress that these are not my opinions - just things I've heard about the Savage rifles. Not having seen the Savage TR I'm trying to decide whether to buy the CZ 452 Silhouette or wait for the Savage TR to arrive so I can compare them side by side and come to my own conclusions about which is better.

I agree that people seem happy with the Savage TR, which is partly why I wanted to hear some feedback from the USA - nobody in the UK has seen or tested this rifle yet, but the CZ has had excellent reviews. Does anyone out there own both, or have shot both and can offer a side - by - side comparison? </div></div>

Im from Aus and was in the same boat with no local reviews available when I purchased, but the rifle sold in the US is the same as the one sold in Aus so I went with the reviews I read of the product that were US based. Read through the forums for other TR owner reviews and everything came up positive... personally I think the trigger is really sweet, but I only have a few other rifles to compare it to. Friends from a much more experienced background than I have also praised the feel of this gun too.

If its a shop giving you the feedback, I would always be wary especially if they dont actually carry the TR.
If the feedback is from people in the UK you can only assume its second hand info right ? : )

I will say the stock on the TR is substantially different in look and feel from a normal stock... I love it and until you see it in the flesh its hard to appreciate it.

Bottom line, its a shooter and if you can find a neg review on the web I would be surprised.... but the same goes for the CZ.
Will you be disappointed by either ?? I doubt it.

smile.gif

I love my Savage- shoots outstanding... likes some ammo more than others, but with the right stuff it'll hold .5 MOA @100 for 5 shots... easily.

I like my Savage its already taken quite a bit of game and has been a shooter so far

Just ordered my Savage TR based on the recomendations posted here. Any ideas on rings and glass?

I've had a good think about it, and decided to go with the CZ452 - partly because it comes in a synthetic stock and because there are more aftermarket options available for them - trigger kits, base metal, a range of stocks etc. That said, the Savage does look good but could well be too long to use as a rabbit rifle from inside a Land Rover.

Wow, you must have got a 77/17 that was built on a Friday, or, a Monday. I have one in stainless, and with original, Hornady, or Remington ammo, on a CALM day, it would usually shoot 1/2" at 100 yards.

With CCI, or, Federal, it was more like 2"

I would look at a CZ,Savage, or a Ruger and I think you would be satisfied with any of them. Marlin is no slouch either,just didn't like the factory trigger. Just my .02

I have been through about 4 .17hmr's trying to find on that I was satisfied with. First was a Savage GV and I didn't like the stock that it came with so I sold it. Second was a Ruger 77/17. I liked the look of the Rugers stock from the side but didn't like the mag and the square bottom. So I sold it and bought the Marlin 17hmr. I found that the Marins crack real easy at the very front of the stock under the barrel. Mine was cracked so I sold it too, and now have settled with the Savage BTVS in 17hmr. Now to find a better trigger. I'm not a fan of the accu-trigger....