• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me select a trigger for my Rem 700 varmint rifle

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
OK, I've read bunches of threads about triggers. It seems like everyone has their preferences. Perhaps if I tell you what I like, you can help me get close.

This is an older 700 VSSF with the original factory trigger. It has been to the local gunsmith who adjusted the trigger. He felt that this particular one shouldn't go much lower than 3-3.5. It's crisp, but just a bit heavy for my liking. I recently had it rebarreled from 308 to 22-250. This rifle will spend most of its time on the range/bench with occasional prairie dog hunts. There is some opportunity for dusty environments, but nothing where I'd be forced to shoot in a sandstorm.

Since getting my TRG-22, I've really become spoiled by the 2 stage trigger. I don't really need to go down to ounces, but something 2-2.5 lbs would be perfect. 2-stage would be ideal, but I'm certainly willing to go single if there isn't a good, reliable 2-stage for the 700. Durable and safe are more important to me than ultralight. If I can install it myself, even better.

What are your recommendations for getting a trigger like I've described?

Thanks!

The timney 510 should be a good candidate for your needs. It's also very affordable in my opinion.

Timney is nice. Mine is set to 2 pounds, IIRC.

I would also like a 2 stage, but the only one that is a true 2 stage is the CG X-treme trigger. Whidden Gunworks

Not cheap though. $330 versus Timeny for $115 from SWFA.

Timney is a great trigger. Especially for the money. Easy to adjust and very crisp. Easily capable of ~2lb.

The CGX is awesome, but it is expensive and requires a PhD to get tuned to perfection.

Huber is sort of a hybrid between a 2 stage and a "set" trigger. Not a fan of its theory of operation, but its a no brainer to install and "set up" ( if you can call it that). Expensive, also.

Not a fan of a Jewell.

Any thoughts on DBM on a varmint rifle? Obviously handy, but could be limiting in terms of COAL. Also, taking a little longer to reload might be a bit more barrel friendly.

Opinions?

I've got two Timney 517s (flat blade) and like them enough to not want/need to try any other. Your results may vary.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of DBMs unless you need one. I never felt hindered in any way not having one - until I began to compete at the tactical matches.

A BDL type rifle is sleeker, quieter, better on a sling etc etc. Just my 2¢…

+1
DBMS = great at tactical or field precision rifle matches and great at looking all tactical and stuff. I like mine.

For hunting, I still prefer ADL or BDL. I even like a single shot with a spare cartridge in hand sometimes. It makes me a better hunter, taking more carefully placed shots.

With a .22-250 you are limited to 5 round mags if using AICS style mags. I have my Rem 700VS .22-250 sitting in a Manners mini chassis. If I try to use a 10 round mag after about 6 or 7 rounds in the mag they won't feed properly due to the taper of the cartridge case. Fortunately my .308 VS is also sitting in a mini chassis.

Huber Concepts two stage trigger by far! Feels great and shoots better. Call the man he loves to talk, he'll tell you anything you want to know.

Huber Concepts two stage trigger by far! Feels great and shoots better. Call the man he loves to talk, he'll tell you anything you want to know.

Second that, just finished a build and I spent a lot of time researching triggers. I called John at Huber Concepts and I'll never think of triggers the same again lol, John is a wealth of knowledge and he openly shares that knowledge ( way over my head). Needless to say I bought one and I'm very happy!

I have one of the "old style" Huber triggers (3-4 years old) and one of the newer styles (1 year old) trigger and the new style is definitely a legit two stage trigger and the older style was a "set style" trigger. I sent my old trigger into John and he replaced the internals with the newer style and now I have legit two stage triggers.

Great triggers and highly recommended if you are looking for a two-stage.