• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help with model 70 bolt assembly

10daddy

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2021
Minneapolis
Hi all- I’m new here so pardon me if my search results did not find an earlier post.
I need to find a replacement bolt for a post 64 model 70 in 30-06, push feed. It was lost a long time ago and the rifle is useless. Can anybody point me in the right direction? If I buy a new bolt, are there any head spacing issues or can I just drop it in?
thanks
Bob

I’d look at Numrich.
They’ve got a LOT of parts, but I’m not sure they would carry a complete bolt, but maybe pieces to build one.

Will need to have headspace checked as it most probably won’t be right w/o some adjustment.

Of I order a used one on EBay, can someone walk me through how to properly headspace the bolt?
To do it properly, I would send it to a qualified smith and have them take care of it.
But, because of the extractor cut in the barrel, they may have to cut off a decent chunk of barrel.

It also depends on if there’s too much or too little headspace.

To do it properly, I would send it to a qualified smith and have them take care of it.
But, because of the extractor cut in the barrel, they may have to cut off a decent chunk of barrel.

It also depends on if there’s too much or too little headspace.

Post '64 push feed guns don't have an extractor cut in the breech, they use a sliding extractor in the right bolt lug and a flat breech face. The CRF guns do have the cut though, so if he has one of those it'll be more of a challenge.

If it's one of the FN produced guns I've had the headspace between bolts be pretty darned spot on, but it should be checked with qualified gauges, obviously.