• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns help with P220...

awz1287

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
North Carolina
I just got back from the range. I was having some problems with my P220 stainless elite. This gun has been 100% reliable since I got it last year. I normally use Federal American eagle for range use but have used other stuff without any problems. The range this time only had PMC Bronze ammo, I have never used it before.

The problems started on the second box. halfway though a magazine I went to pull the trigger and it wouldn't fire. so I looked at the gun and the round was not fully seated into the barrel, you can see about a 1/8"-1/4" of the brass in between the ejection port and the barrel. I had to push it forward to fully seat it. this happened 3 times.

The other thing that would happen, a round would go fully in the barrel but the extractor did not hook on the rim of the case. so the case was fully in the barrel and the extractor was sitting on the back of the round keeping the slide from going forward. this only happened 2 times.

Anyone know of anything that could cause this? Do you think it's the different ammo?

This is bad timing because I have a 5 day trip to PA on Thursday and was planing on using it to CCW. I can't get back to the range before I leave for my trip. Should I not use this for ccw till I can test it again.

Re: help with P220...

Well, it's failing to fully go into battery and could be one or a combination several things. Since you seem to believe it's the ammo, why not purchase something else and isolate that first? If the extractor was capturing the rim then I would say dirty chamber, limp wristing, or worn recoil spring/assembly. My "wild" guess is that it is magazine related causing poor cartridge feeding. See if it happens with all your mags, clean them, check springs, follower function, etc. The extractor could be bent out of tune but probably not. Sigs are not known to have feed ramp issues so that would be the last place it would consider, but if all else fails you could examine that for wear/obstruction. Good luck!

Re: help with P220...

Sounds like the recoil spring needs replaced. I was having fail to feed issues with my 220ST. The mag springs were weak and the case rim would catch on the extractor. The case would hang there til I dropped the mag and reracked the slide. I temporalily stretched the springs out by hand until my new springs show up.
After that tweek no problems.