• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help with some ladder results

ElKellym

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Folks

Im building up for my 338 LM. I looked at my Hornady book as well as a few sites to start with the base and get a maxium load set.

I did three shots with each load. I started at 84.5 and stopped at 89.5 grains of H1000 with a 285 BTHP bullet.

I got 1/2 way through my test and it didn't seem like things were going right. At the range I was at 100yards is the farthest you can put up targets.

So I got from 84.5 to 87.5 ( see the pics for grouping )

To me it seems like I should be at 200-300 yards to really get a idea here. All my bullets grouped well with each amount of powder but it seemed like my bullet was still going up at the 100y mark.

If max is at around 90 grains and im at 87 with room to grow the bullet speed is going to really matter on long distance shooting.

The reason the 2nd target is on top is that there was to many holes to track so I aimed at the 2nd target on the same spot as the first.

shooting.jpgshooting.jpg

Yep ladder tests are best done at longer ranges. If I have the time I shoot 2 bullets per charge.

Try Dan Newberry's OCW test instead for now since it's designed for 100Y.

+1 on the OCW test if you are not going to shoot past 100 yards. I personally like the Ladder test, and that starts at 300, then to 400, then to 500... .

I even did the OCW and then did the ladder test starting at 300 and I found a load very quickly that way. Even with the OCW test a good 300 yard confirmation will confirm your loads quickly. Also, use the Bulls Eye Camera system if you don't have a buddy to radio in your shots when doing the ladder test, it works great. I also color the tips of my bullets with marker to see them on white paper if I can't call and mark my shots past 300.

your gonna have to a ladder at much longer range, especially with a 338

i just did one this weekend for a 6.5 creedmoor at 430 yards, and even then they grouped pretty tight.

at your range, could you bring your own target standto put at longer ranges? I made one out of PVC that works great.