• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Henry 44 Mag Rifle Suppressor Choice - Help Me Pick

Which suppressor for 44 Mag rifle?

• Obsidian 45

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Hybrid 46

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Bushwhacker 46

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other suppressor (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're a dumbass for wanting to suppress a 44.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Blazin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Maryland
Just purchased a Henry BB X in 44 Mag (5/8x24 threads) and want to suppress it using 300 grain bullets. I would like to try some lead bullets <gasp>, so prefer a suppressor I can disassemble. I have a decent amount of suppressor experience, but not in this application.

Which suppressor would you choose for this application? Thus far I’ve considered the Rugged Obsidian 45 (can disassemble), Silencerco Hybrid 46 (would be my top pick if I could disassemble), and Griffin Armament Bushwhacker 46 (my current top pick, despite the name).

I have a Henry X in 44 mag. I had been looking for one for months and was having a tough time finding one. I ordered a Bushwhacker 46 when I first started looking for a Henry X. I went with the Bushwhacker 46 basically because it was the only thing available at the time to handle the 44 mag, no body had a Hybrid 46, and I didn't want to wait on a back order. That is why I went with it, not because I thought it was necessarily better than the other 2. I finally found a Henry X at Bass pro just before Christmas, it was the only one in my entire state the guy at Bass Pro said. Got my tax stamp in February, and was shooting it the same day. The Bushwhacker is stupid quite with the 225 grain Hornandy FTX's and the Federal 225 grain vital shocks. The only noise you really hear is when the bullet hits a hog or tree, you hear the whack. It holds just under 1 moa at 100 yards with both. I have never shot the Bushwhacker on anything else, so can't say what it is like on a 338 Lapua or something. The only complaint I might would have is it the length and weight. However I don't think the other Hybrid 46 is really much lighter, so kind of a mute point. I like that you can take it apart and clean it. For hog hunting in the swamps where I live, I'm happy with it, but I don't have any of the other cans to compare it to.

Rugged Obsidian 45

And if Dead Air releases a Wolfman 45, then that would be another awesome option. Mike Pappas seemed enthusiastic when that was mentioned on one of their live chat IG stories. So, that could be a very possible option later on this year. But if you want to get the ball rolling along now (which is best to go ahead, and not wait on a "maybe"), the Rugged Obsidian 45 is a great can. I'm currently waiting on one for myself. Stamps should be back in a month or 2.

I own a Henry 44 Model X, i also own a Hybrid 46, an Obsidian 45, and 1 other Form 1 i made. The Form 1 is the quietest by far. Its an 8.5" can, willed with 13 YDT Baffles, and its so amazingly quiet. I run that can on my Kriss Vector 45 and my Henry X Models. Nest best is the Obsidian, but its not as tough of the hybrid, so if I had to choose which of those two, i would go Hybrid (its pretty close to Obs45).

Reactions: Blazin
I agree with MudRunner45, the Deadair Wolfman 45 would be my pick. I would have originally said the Ghost from DA but it’s only rated to 44 special. I’m running a older SiCo Osprey on mine and love it but it seems they have given way to the more modular cans and newer technology.

I have a Uberti 1873 in 38/357 that I shoot suppressed often. More fun than drowning kittens.

I have a Bushwhacker that I have shot 45 ACP through (it mainly lives on my Thompson M1) and it is plenty quiet. I have not compared it to a Hybrid so I dont know how it would compare noise wise.

Depending on your barrel length you might want to get a shorter can. Lever guns are already plenty long.

I commented a few post above, and this weekend I took my 44 Mag Henry Model X out too my outdoor range, and brought all 3 of my suppressors to try. My First is a Form 1, 8.5" long with 13 Radial baffles, bored for 45ACP. I use this on my Kriss Vector, and its Amazing. Its all Titanium, and is by far the quietest. If this can wasn't designed to be exclusively mounted on the Vector, i would have no problems with it being on my 44/45 Henry X's.

The real tested I wanted was between the Obsidian 45, and Hybrid 46. Both these cans don't have permanent Host in my arsenal, they float where they are needed. After shooting back, and letting a friend shoot both, the Hybrid to me sounds better Overall with 44 Mag. I have some Max Loads that did not do as well with the Obs, and the Hybrid was just better. In lower pressure loads, they were about the same. We both said, between the 2 form 4 cans, we would each take the Hybrid for 44/45LC Lever guns.

Hopefully that helps the Op some. Just for Comparison, the Obs45 is around $600 plus stamp, the Hybrid is around $800 and my Form 1 is around $600 (but only 4 week wait).

I commented a few post above, and this weekend I took my 44 Mag Henry Model X out too my outdoor range, and brought all 3 of my suppressors to try. My First is a Form 1, 8.5" long with 13 Radial baffles, bored for 45ACP. I use this on my Kriss Vector, and its Amazing. Its all Titanium, and is by far the quietest. If this can wasn't designed to be exclusively mounted on the Vector, i would have no problems with it being on my 44/45 Henry X's.

The real tested I wanted was between the Obsidian 45, and Hybrid 46. Both these cans don't have permanent Host in my arsenal, they float where they are needed. After shooting back, and letting a friend shoot both, the Hybrid to me sounds better Overall with 44 Mag. I have some Max Loads that did not do as well with the Obs, and the Hybrid was just better. In lower pressure loads, they were about the same. We both said, between the 2 form 4 cans, we would each take the Hybrid for 44/45LC Lever guns.

Hopefully that helps the Op some. Just for Comparison, the Obs45 is around $600 plus stamp, the Hybrid is around $800 and my Form 1 is around $600 (but only 4 week wait).
Thank you!!!!