• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide Aviation

Spoon T66s?
I think that's a turbo? No

Newer version of this. Williams fj44-4a-qpm shown.
httpswww.flyingmag.comsitesflyingmag.comfilesimages201708engine-1.jpg

I grind the fuel slingers and labyrinth seal balance pistons. Both inconel. Maybe 1 or 2 other parts.

Last edited:
View attachment 8136379View attachment 8136380View attachment 8136381
Annual time. Dog is bored and the neighbors are making a heck of a racket.
Well........what should have been an easy annual this year turned into a 3 month pain in the ass!! Keep in mind it was running like a Swiss watch prior to the annual. Everything checked out good but the plugs were wore. Swapped in a dozen new Champions. Test run after we were done and she was running super rough. EGT's at idle were way high. Idle mixture adjustment made no change. Sent the carb to Oklahoma for overhaul. Sucking air around the shaft, bad needle & seat and accelerator pump was very hard( still uses leather). "Sweet".....there's our problem.
Put her back together.....runs like shit.🤬
Still running lean. Dig deeper....find a few bad intake gaskets. Replaced all six gaskets and boots......nope....runs like shit.
Pulled the mags.....internal timing was off and low voltage at idle. Did a 500hr on both mags......put back together....yep....runs like shit. At this point I'm getting worried. This engine only has 370 hrs since factory reman(in 2000) it did some sitting before I bought it. Local FBO owner is a friend....said he's had bad luck with champions. Swapped in a loaner set of tempest and she was purring like a kitten.
Apparently Champion quality is pretty bad for GA plugs these days. Got the new Tempest's put it and all is well. Pretty crazy all the things that were "wrong" and not causing problems.
20230727_215506.jpg

Night cross country.

Witnessed pilot errors and decisions I could have never imagined. Wow. Just wow.

We did rides for a few days up at RZL last weekend. Had a couple guys flying a nice vintage C170 fly though and stop for gas. One of them caught wind I was a CFI so he asked if he could pick my brain.

Him: “We’re flying this route here up to OSH, just under the far west side of the Bravo shelf at ORD. If we stay under the shelf, do we gotta talk to anybody?”

Me: “Nope, but your inside the Mode C veil, so make sure that’s working unless you have prior authorization to fly without it.”

Him: “Yeah, yeah, OK, but we don’t have to talk to anybody, right? We’re not in anybody’s airspace under the shelf?”

Me: (outwardly) “…No, you’re good.”
Me: (inwardly) “But if you can’t answer that yourself by looking at a chart, maybe you shouldn’t be flying into OSH…”

😐

If anyone finds themselves wanting to land at the St George municipal (formally International!) airport.....

let me know and Ill fly with you as long as I can shoot out of the door. Or throw gummy bears or whatever at people.

Reactions: Barneybdb
The dreamlifter is so janky... To many rivets and no APU... And you cant inspect the cargo or if they got the swing tail locked.

And there is nowhere to sit on the upper deck except the 4 seats in the cockpit...

The dreamlifter is so janky... To many rivets and no APU... And you cant inspect the cargo or if they got the swing tail locked.

And there is nowhere to sit on the upper deck except the 4 seats in the cockpit...
No APU? What the ...

Sounds like 4 people were killed at Oshkosh Saturday. 2 in the T6 that hit the lake and 2 in a mini helicopter, powered glider collision. Sad. I’m betting they move the STOL and ultralight fields further from runway 36 next year

The Friday or Saturday before the show we watched a Technam on final for 36L just in from of a Cessna on final for 36R. The Technam decided, on short final, that he wanted 36R……….
So he moved over and landed within a 100feet of the Cessna! I heard the Cessna say “What the fuck?!” On the radio. We all started yelling “go around, go around” like he could hear us. Lol. We heard him add power, but not enough……. Sure as shit, the dude in the Cessna adds just enough power to hop over the Technam by about 15ft vertically and fucking lands in front of him!! No shit! Now keep in mind runway 36R procedure is a high speed taxi to the end of the runway so the fucking Technam was speeding up until he say the Cessna fall from the heavens. Could not believe it.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. Loud at cruise too. I've flown it a few times. Did a couple years at Atlas before moving on. It's designation is LCF, for Large Cargo Freighter. We called it the Loud Cramped Freighter.

Reactions: tnichols
Sounds like 4 people were killed at Oshkosh Saturday. 2 in the T6 that hit the lake and 2 in a mini helicopter, powered glider collision. Sad. I’m betting they move the STOL and ultralight fields further from runway 36 next year
We were there Wednesday, and commented to my son that I was shocked that the helo/gyro area didn’t have a wreck or two. Looked like a bee hive.

The chopper was a rotor x. I follow them as I have been tempted to build one.

Well........what should have been an easy annual this year turned into a 3 month pain in the ass!! Keep in mind it was running like a Swiss watch prior to the annual. Everything checked out good but the plugs were wore. Swapped in a dozen new Champions. Test run after we were done and she was running super rough. EGT's at idle were way high. Idle mixture adjustment made no change. Sent the carb to Oklahoma for overhaul. Sucking air around the shaft, bad needle & seat and accelerator pump was very hard( still uses leather). "Sweet".....there's our problem.
Put her back together.....runs like shit.🤬
Still running lean. Dig deeper....find a few bad intake gaskets. Replaced all six gaskets and boots......nope....runs like shit.
Pulled the mags.....internal timing was off and low voltage at idle. Did a 500hr on both mags......put back together....yep....runs like shit. At this point I'm getting worried. This engine only has 370 hrs since factory reman(in 2000) it did some sitting before I bought it. Local FBO owner is a friend....said he's had bad luck with champions. Swapped in a loaner set of tempest and she was purring like a kitten.
Apparently Champion quality is pretty bad for GA plugs these days. Got the new Tempest's put it and all is well. Pretty crazy all the things that were "wrong" and not causing problems.
View attachment 8193832
Night cross country.
Flight instruments? How refreshing for an old timer. The all ”glass” cockpits would leave be somewhat bewildered and hopefully not totally lost. However, boy how nice one of the current GPS (two actually, ne’er trust just one) would have been. Trying to fly, watch out for traffic and navigate with those old paper charts and watch, was a sure pain. Having two vortac receivers was great, but with jsut one, best keep that chart and watch handy. Oh, don’t forget, FLY the aircraft. I miss it, but I’ll never be in the left seat again. (Ears gone crazy)

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. Loud at cruise too. I've flown it a few times. Did a couple years at Atlas before moving on. It's designation is LCF, for Large Cargo Freighter. We called it the Loud Cramped Freighter.

I only flew it once...

Did fuel score at cruise and went "hey man, my math isnt working out, this plane doesnt carry this much gas" and the CA goes "this plane is lbs not KG's"... "oh we good then"...

Went to MXO today and washed the 140. Ag planes are super busy right now putting fungicide on corn. Counted 8 working out of there. Told the wife to climb up on an idling 802 so she could see how I used to spend my summers when I was young. Boy took his PP written this morning. Scored a 97, that’ll do.
67957775-2EB2-4420-AE60-86422E61A2A0.jpeg
38F34E99-61FF-448C-8A64-B57840355DAB.jpeg

I'm curious but not certain how to accurately phrase this question. What's the ratio of military vets to non-military when it comes to professional helicopter pilots outside of the military?

I'm curious but not certain how to accurately phrase this question. What's the ratio of military vets to non-military when it comes to professional helicopter pilots outside of the military?

I don’t know the percentage, but it’s a significant majority. Learning the rotorcraft trade in the private sector is prohibitively expensive (ask me how I know lol), so the VAST majority of people in the rotorcraft world are prior service. They either flew in the military and then got their certs converted afterwards, or they used the GI Bill to pay for most of their training after they got out. Us private pay folks are out there, but we’re pretty few and far between.

Thanks. Have to look that up, not familiar. Nice avionics suite. Must be a side stick too.

Thanks, its Rockwell ProLine Fusion it does have a side stick and it’s fly by wire. They’re slowly removing the humans out of the equation 🤣
Hopefully not before my times up

The helicopter in the other post is AW169 and following suit. Similar avionics, proprietary touch screen FMS. Great four axis autopilot and SAS (can’t dispatch without it). Once you bring it to hover you can take your feet off the pedals pull full collective to the limit and the heading won’t change but few degrees. Basically you take off and land and rest of the flight is on autopilot (in different modes)

It’s a matter of time before we get to work from home or look for other type of work

Last edited:
Reactions: tnichols

Thanks, its Rockwell ProLine Fusion it does have a side stick and it’s fly by wire. They’re slowly removing the humans out of the equation 🤣
Hopefully not before my times up

The helicopter in the other post is AW169 and following suit. Similar avionics, proprietary touch screen FMS. Great four axis autopilot and SAS (can’t dispatch without it). Once you bring it to hover you can take your feet off the pedals pull full collective to the limit and the heading won’t change but few degrees. Basically you take off and land and rest of the flight is on autopilot (in different modes)

It’s a matter of time before we get to work from home or look for other type of work
We’re flying computers now.

A couple from the American Huey 369 17th Annual Gathering of Veterans and Patriots today. Had a small cell come through and drop a good bit on 049, which I thought presented a unique photo opportunity.

View attachment 8203108

View attachment 8203107
A few upgrades and the airframe continues to serve well. The “venom” is what they call the updated ones I believe
15EF7A1C-0BEC-4E20-9B27-A8CA968681F2.jpeg

A few upgrades and the airframe continues to serve well. The “venom” is what they call the updated ones I believe
View attachment 8203109

Yeah, they’re up to the UH-1Y, which is actually a composite (rigid) four-bladed rotor system rather than the classic semi-rigid underslung system of the previous generations. Like the B-52, it’s amazing just how versatile and resistant to obsolescence the Huey program has been!

Guy that owns the A1-E “Naked Fanny” that is based at KMXO recently purchased a UH-1. We’ll see how that goes.

Reactions: BScore
Few from yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_5220.jpeg
    IMG_5220.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5233.jpeg
    IMG_5233.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5230.jpeg
    IMG_5230.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 23
View attachment 8203109
Rode many a mile in these, hanging off the side, enjoying the view, and the View of that war torn nation belied the misery. I have never seen a more beautiful country. Always thought what a tropical paradise it could be except for the thousands if not millions of unexploded mines, artillery rounds and other munitions. Still hear that people are being injured, to this day.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Been on the hunt for one of these for awhile. Not perfect but runs great.
1970 Honda CL100 Suitcase cycle.
90898.jpeg

Flew down to Paso Robles to pick it up off Craigslist. Wish I could have hung around for the weekend, some sort of airshow going on. Some antique stuff showing up and some newer stuff......
20230922_141924.jpg
20230922_142354.jpg

Last edited: