• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide Aviation

This just happened (actually this morning)

68F22D45-D537-418D-9DFE-1AE30DD6AADB.jpeg

So....video of that P-63 vs. B-17 midair at RBD today was horrific...
Link

Watched The Best Yesars of Our lives last night and the end scene with the Captain climbing into the -17 being scrapped, than staring out the Perspex from his navigators seat was heartbreaking.

That film was made in 46 and that was how quickly they cut up those old “homes” to as they said in the movie make homes.

I don’t know what you are posting about but I don’t think I will like it.

Figured out what was contributing to an issue with the Lancair, decided to take it up to do a test flight and capitalize on the crazy winds we’ve had the past two days. Brought it up to 13,500’ and did a top speed run with a solid tail wind.

397EAB95-2988-4795-8F06-7BC0F94E89B3.jpeg

322BAAD2-580D-442E-9E1C-76F8BD117336.jpeg

She's a real beauty! That top pic on the taxiway belongs on the wall at the Mother Ship.
Stock IO 360, maybe something more exotic?

She's a real beauty! That top pic on the taxiway belongs on the wall at the Mother Ship.
Stock IO 360, maybe something more exotic?

Relatively stock, it has some porting and slightly higher compression, but nothing crazy. I'm in the process of upgrading my midwing Extra to a new NG, and then the Lancair will go in lieu of a Baron 55 with a Colemill conversion or a Baron 56 depending on what's available and budget.

Baron 55 with a Colemill conversion or a Baron 56 depending on what's available and budget.

buddy of mine had a C310R with the colemill engines(I think they are the same IO550 300hp motors) and he was burning ~35-40 gal per hour at ~175kts. They ended up selling that and buying a King Air 90 that cruised at like 225kts on I think he said 70gph. He said the trips were a little shorter and fuel was generally a decent amount cheaper for jet A most places(this was back in the early 2000's, I have no clue anymore what the spread between avgas and jet A is). He said it was ALMOST a wash on hourly fuel costs, but the comfort of the airplane, full known icing capabilities, radar, pressurization, etc... as well as ease of getting parts, maintenance, etc... made it a win. His engine reserve fund was obviously higher as the PT6 is a decent bit more expensive to overhaul than the IO550's, but I think the props were similar priced overalls.

Reactions: Maciej
buddy of mine had a C310R with the colemill engines(I think they are the same IO550 300hp motors) and he was burning ~35-40 gal per hour at ~175kts. They ended up selling that and buying a King Air 90 that cruised at like 225kts on I think he said 70gph. He said the trips were a little shorter and fuel was generally a decent amount cheaper for jet A most places(this was back in the early 2000's, I have no clue anymore what the spread between avgas and jet A is). He said it was ALMOST a wash on hourly fuel costs, but the comfort of the airplane, full known icing capabilities, radar, pressurization, etc... as well as ease of getting parts, maintenance, etc... made it a win. His engine reserve fund was obviously higher as the PT6 is a decent bit more expensive to overhaul than the IO550's, but I think the props were similar priced overalls.

I'm about three years out from that purchase as the new Extra is end of next year, that'll take a while to recover from. The twin is going to take a bit of searching to find the right machine. I like the Baron 56 just out of principle as it's a hotrod, but it has some detriments that I'm reluctant about, I was just about to buy one two or three weeks ago but it didn't have boots. The engines in the 56TC are also a bit finicky, so that's another ding against it. The Baron 55 with the Colemill seems to be a good balance, but finding the right one is going to be a while, which is good for my bank account. As much as I'd like a turboprop, I just can't justify it as I'm in the midst of gradually planning out building a hangar home here in NJ. The good thing is that for the next two to three years I don't have a need for more than two seats, so it buys me some time.

Reactions: rjacobs
If I wanted something with some speed that wouldnt break the bank(I mean completely break it), would be a Pilatus PC12. Its a 270kt airplane on a single PT6. I think they burn ~55-60gph at speed, I'm sure less if you run econ cruise speeds. I think the only bad thing with them is in an engine failure situation the prop might not feather if you lose oil pressure. It has some kind of emergency system for it, but its only good for like 10 seconds after the failure, otherwise the prop might lock into low pitch and create huge drag. I might be totally wonky on my description of it, but a buddy that flies them in the PNW was explaining something like that to me. I think they are fairly economical, can operate from unimproved strips, can load pallets into them, etc... Pretty versatile airplane.

If I wanted something with some speed that wouldnt break the bank(I mean completely break it), would be a Pilatus PC12. Its a 270kt airplane on a single PT6. I think they burn ~55-60gph at speed, I'm sure less if you run econ cruise speeds. I think the only bad thing with them is in an engine failure situation the prop might not feather if you lose oil pressure. It has some kind of emergency system for it, but its only good for like 10 seconds after the failure, otherwise the prop might lock into low pitch and create huge drag. I might be totally wonky on my description of it, but a buddy that flies them in the PNW was explaining something like that to me. I think they are fairly economical, can operate from unimproved strips, can load pallets into them, etc... Pretty versatile airplane.
I saw a PC9 for sale the other day.

Net net, I need to figure out how to make a lot more money lol

If you ever wanted better, granted almost triple the price, the pc24 is nice. Every single one of their engines have parts that I've ran.

I'm about three years out from that purchase as the new Extra is end of next year, that'll take a while to recover from. The twin is going to take a bit of searching to find the right machine. I like the Baron 56 just out of principle as it's a hotrod, but it has some detriments that I'm reluctant about, I was just about to buy one two or three weeks ago but it didn't have boots. The engines in the 56TC are also a bit finicky, so that's another ding against it. The Baron 55 with the Colemill seems to be a good balance, but finding the right one is going to be a while, which is good for my bank account. As much as I'd like a turboprop, I just can't justify it as I'm in the midst of gradually planning out building a hangar home here in NJ. The good thing is that for the next two to three years I don't have a need for more than two seats, so it buys me some time.
I'm extremely low time/experience but doesn't the Barron have some pretty unfavorable engine out characteristics??

I'm extremely low time/experience but doesn't the Barron have some pretty unfavorable engine out characteristics??

not any worse than any other twin... Not as bad as an MU2 LOL...

A Baron is just like any other light piston twin... the second engine will take you right to the scene of the crash...

not any worse than any other twin... Not as bad as an MU2 LOL...

A Baron is just like any other light piston twin... the second engine will take you right to the scene of the crash...
Lol....my dad worked at the MU2 factory right out of A&P school (spartan) in the 70's.
Forest Circus flew Barons as lead planes (fire) for a long time. I tagged along on several trips to recover/prep for ferry flights. Mostly landing short and missed approaches.
There was a fatality recently here in Komifornia with one doing engine out training. Flat spinned straight down.
Only reason I brought it up is for perspective. I like to get different points of view. For me, impact on my budget far out weighs speed. The thought of 55 or more gph compared to 10-15 gph in my Cherokee 235 is budget crushing.....lol....I know budget and airplane don't go in the same sentence.

As others mentioned, it’s not that different from other light twins. I’m trying to hunt down the hot rod versions of the Baron with twin 300hp engines (Baron 55 w/ Colemill STC) or twin 380hp engines (Baron 56TC).

Reactions: jmp1
Well when the other poster is looking at something that burns 35-40gph for 175kts or you can burn 70-90gph of cheaper fuel(im seeing price delta's of $1.50-$2 per gallon if you shop around the FBO's) that higher burn isnt necessarily much more actual cost. Lets say a king air does a trip in .8 and a B55 Colemill does it in 1.0... The B55 burns call it 40 gal at 8 bucks thats $320. The King Air burns 72(.8 of 90) at 6.50 thats $468... so an extra $148 bucks give or take. Not stupid. And if you can buy fuel on contract or shop it better...

Now PT6's are 5x $ to overhaul vs. an IO550. A reman PT6 is like 350k bucks... where I think you could get a remain IO550 for ~50k... Now TBO on an IO550 is like 2000 hours TBO on a PT6 is 4500 hours... so again, more numbers to crunch because you are getting double+ the engine time.

Reactions: Maciej and jmp1
Well when the other poster is looking at something that burns 35-40gph for 175kts or you can burn 70-90gph of cheaper fuel(im seeing price delta's of $1.50-$2 per gallon if you shop around the FBO's) that higher burn isnt necessarily much more actual cost. Lets say a king air does a trip in .8 and a B55 Colemill does it in 1.0... The B55 burns call it 40 gal at 8 bucks thats $320. The King Air burns 72(.8 of 90) at 6.50 thats $468... so an extra $148 bucks give or take. Not stupid. And if you can buy fuel on contract or shop it better...

Now PT6's are 5x $ to overhaul vs. an IO550. A reman PT6 is like 350k bucks... where I think you could get a remain IO550 for ~50k... Now TBO on an IO550 is like 2000 hours TBO on a PT6 is 4500 hours... so again, more numbers to crunch because you are getting double+ the engine time.

Have to take into account initial acquisition cost and a bunch of other things. I’m definitely not at a turbo prop level, I’m already behind financially reckless. 😂

Have to take into account initial acquisition cost and a bunch of other things. I’m definitely not at a turbo prop level, I’m already behind financially reckless. 😂
You just need to figure out how to write it off on your business... You do have a shell corporation dont you???

• Haha
Reactions: Maciej
I had posted a flying/shooting video in another part of the forum, and someone was kind of enough to let me know there is a big aviation thread and suggested I post something over here. Always glad to talk airplanes, that's for sure! My main passion in life (just for fun, I don't fly for work).

I fly low and slow, primary focus is off airport in the rocky mountains. Have found hundreds of spots over the years, and always searching for new places to land, hike, camp, shoot etc. I have a small youtube channel I put a lot of effort into... (and lose money, but it's a fun, creative outlet).

Appreciate anyone checking it out. If you like bushplane / mountain flying / backcountry stuff, this will hopefully not disappoint. Thanks!
-Todd

I'll post an example video, and the channel link below:

GravityKnightFlying

I had posted a flying/shooting video in another part of the forum, and someone was kind of enough to let me know there is a big aviation thread and suggested I post something over here. Always glad to talk airplanes, that's for sure! My main passion in life (just for fun, I don't fly for work).

I fly low and slow, primary focus is off airport in the rocky mountains. Have found hundreds of spots over the years, and always searching for new places to land, hike, camp, shoot etc. I have a small youtube channel I put a lot of effort into... (and lose money, but it's a fun, creative outlet).

Appreciate anyone checking it out. If you like bushplane / mountain flying / backcountry stuff, this will hopefully not disappoint. Thanks!
-Todd

I'll post an example video, and the channel link below:

GravityKnightFlying

You put out some cool videos. I've watched quite a few of them. Love that type of flying...just waiting for the stc to put 35's on my Cherokee 235🤣🤣

Reactions: Gravity_Knight
I know right. But I also need to know about the alternate missed approach procedure because of said crane.

Have you EVER flown a "published" missed? either plated or notam'd?

Im 99% sure I never have, but we also 99% only go into towered airports and that other 1% is usually only when the tower is closed.

I'm guessing that my airline could have kept flying yesterday by using NOTAM data from our last known good dispatch release prior to the NOTAM system going down. Its not like MOST notam's are last second pop ups so data that was an hour or two old I dont feel would have caused a safety issue. I mean if the system literally caught fire and was going to be down for weeks, yea thats a problem, but... I dont know. I feel like we likely could have kept operating...thats just me though.

Reactions: tnichols

Im 99% sure I never have, but we also 99% only go into towered airports and that other 1% is usually only when the tower is closed.

I'm guessing that my airline could have kept flying yesterday by using NOTAM data from our last known good dispatch release prior to the NOTAM system going down. Its not like MOST notam's are last second pop ups so data that was an hour or two old I dont feel would have caused a safety issue. I mean if the system literally caught fire and was going to be down for weeks, yea thats a problem, but... I dont know. I feel like we likely could have kept operating...thats just me though.
Going missed is for pussies

But honestly the notam system going down really wasn’t cause to shut the whole system down. I agree we could have used archived data from the day before and been perfectly fine.

Everyone could have easily kept operating. We didn't shut down any of our international ops. I have no idea what we did domestically. I flew that day. The reaction to that was ridiculous and I don't know why the airlines went along with it. Bust out that VFR op spec.

As far as published missed goes, I've flown them at non-radar airports in the US, and pretty much everywhere aside from Europe. You can't necessarily trust a controller to not vector you into a mountain overseas. You really should always trust but verify even in the states, but that's so much harder to do when you're very unfamiliar with an area and there's a large language barrier.

But honestly the notam system going down really wasn’t cause to shut the whole system down. I agree we could have used archived data from the day before and been perfectly fine.

We generate most of our morning originator paperwork around 2-3AM, so like the first 300-400 flights. I think those all operated... it was like the 7am-10am stuff... but we had NOTAM data from at least 3am if not later. So I mean thats recent enough IMO... Nobody is suddenly building a tower or crane in that time period... hell I bet it takes 24 hours for the NOTAM system to update on something like that anyway...

Bust out that VFR op spec.

Our VFR op specs are REALLY REALLY restrictive...

We can only depart VFR if the tower is closed and there is ZERO way for us to get a clearance i.e. radio or phone... We can depart VFR, have to stay VFR and have to have an IFR clearance no further than 50nm from the airport... dont know what we do if we cant get one within 50 miles though? Air return I guess LOL... Ive honestly never run into that. Ive always gotten somebody on the radio while on the ground, never had to make a phone call and I have never "departed VFR" in 15+ years of doing this job.

On arrival we can only cancel and continue "VFR" if we are within 10nm of the airport and can maintain VMC. We also have to have been cleared by an ATC facility for a "visual approach"...

So pretty restrictive.

Gone are the days of departing Newark "VFR up the Hudson" or showing up "VFR at the lady"... just because IFR traffic was fucking jammed for 4 hours... LOL.

We generate most of our morning originator paperwork around 2-3AM, so like the first 300-400 flights. I think those all operated... it was like the 7am-10am stuff... but we had NOTAM data from at least 3am if not later. So I mean thats recent enough IMO... Nobody is suddenly building a tower or crane in that time period... hell I bet it takes 24 hours for the NOTAM system to update on something like that anyway...

We can only depart VFR if the tower is closed and there is ZERO way for us to get a clearance i.e. radio or phone... We can depart VFR, have to stay VFR and have to have an IFR clearance no further than 50nm from the airport... dont know what we do if we cant get one within 50 miles though? Air return I guess LOL... Ive honestly never run into that. Ive always gotten somebody on the radio while on the ground, never had to make a phone call and I have never "departed VFR" in 15+ years of doing this job.

On arrival we can only cancel and continue "VFR" if we are within 10nm of the airport and can maintain VMC. We also have to have been cleared by an ATC facility for a "visual approach"...

So pretty restrictive.

Gone are the days of departing Newark "VFR up the Hudson" or showing up "VFR at the lady"... just because IFR traffic was fucking jammed for 4 hours... LOL.
Same. It’s more trouble than it’s worth

So pretty restrictive.

We have similar rules but we departed vfr the other night and it saved us from a 10 min ground stop. I personally prefer to just call on the ground though