• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Home made O.A.L gauge

recarga

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2012
Texas
Hello.

Last weekend my hornady o.a.l gauge broke and I got my engineering brain
crazy.gif
out. I didn't like the gauge any ways since the cases from hornady are full lenght sized and I always had to adjust it.
so here is what I came up with.

feel free to hate it, or inprove it, I am not a engineer or a writer so please excuse my grammar
blush.gif

things used :
like in the picture it can be a tube or any other but the most inportant will be a fire form case from the rifle.

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0499-1.jpg

drill a 5/16 hole on the back of the case.
IMAG0498-1.jpg

also use a tap or self taped screw on the side of the case that will be the back, this is so you can hold the stick.

IMAG0499-1.jpg

before glue the tube in between the two cases, insert the stick trough the two cases and the tube to center the cases. then use crasy glue to hold every thing together then apply the j-b weld and let it set for 24 hours.
the picture shows both cases glued but latter I found out if I just glue the back case and the front one just file it so it will just go snuggle in to the case, that way I can use it for more rifles.
IMAG0500-1.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

This is how it looks after
IMAG0514-1.jpg

this is how i use it
IMAG0515-1.jpg

now I just measure it and compare each of the two or more measurements
IMAG0519.jpg

Re: Home made O.A.L gauge

Nice work! I had a stuck 30-06 case and purchased the RCBS stuck case remover. When I saw how it worked, I had the same idea you did. I tapped the head of a once-fired 308 case and bought a long 1/4"-20 threaded rod for it. Works pretty well, except it's fairly useless for me since magazine length OAL is nowhere near the lands of a factory Remington 700 barrel...
smile.gif