• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming you will be selling loaded ammunition as well as the bi-metal cases & loading dies for your proprietary cartridges?
Will you have load data available for them?

Will you also be providing loaded ammunition and cases, or just cases for option 2?

Rifles for option 1 & 2 sound really interesting, I'm assuming it would give you the option to shoot factory or standard ammunition and then also shoot much hotter custom loaded (or purchased from you) ammunition.

However concept 3 is a bit too tempting to ignore....

Can the barrels be swapped around so you could have a rifle setup for concept 3 but if needed could be used for options 1 & 2 (assuming within the same bolt face range?)

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

The rifles are the SAME (Well different size based on receiver size) for all the "concepts". Nothing changes in the weapon system itself...only the ammunition changes :)

1. Yes we will be selling the concept #3 loaded ammunition and reloading dies. Due to its' pressures and to cover our own liabilities..we will not sell it to anyone that does not have a weapon system of ours.

2. Yes we will have load data for all concept #3 cartridges.

3. All rifles can utilize standard/factory ammunition for the factory cartridges.

4. Selling loaded ammunition for concept #2 is still in the air. Much easier if I just point you to the cases so you can load whatever projectile you want for it.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Question about pressure and bolt lift pertaining to your actions.

Is there a general pressure threshold where standard brass binds up the action and does your actions have design elements to facilitate easing extraction?

I’m guessing the high zoot brass alone would help that situation?

What kinda of speed gains are expected for the different concepts for those of us without ballistic software?

Hi,

The rifles are the SAME (Well different size based on receiver size) for all the "concepts". Nothing changes in the weapon system itself...only the ammunition changes :)
For example you can go from 338 Leonidas HP cartridge to 338LM without changing anything except ammunition.

1. Yes we will be selling the concept #3 loaded ammunition and reloading dies. Due to its' pressures and to cover our own liabilities..we will not sell it to anyone that does not have a weapon system of ours.

2. Yes we will have load data for all concept #3 cartridges.

3. All rifles can utilize standard/factory ammunition for the factory cartridges.

4. Selling loaded ammunition for concept #2 is still in the air. Much easier if I just point you to the cases so you can load whatever projectile you want for it.

Sincerely,
Theis

This is sounding more and more like the Must Have Rifle of the year!

If the 338 Leonidas HP will also shoot factory .338LM,
On the 30 Leonidas HP, which factory ammunition would that shoot? (.300 PRC? or .300 NM?)

I think I'll probably go for one of those 2 above since there are lots of good "useful" projectile choices in .338 and .30 for all different purposes from hunting to target shooting to ELR but still toying with the idea of:

7mm Leonidas
6mm Xiphos
7mm Xiphos

Do any of those 3 also shoot a standard factory round?

Hi,

So far we are able to remain functional with running a 200gr .308 in 300WM at 132k with traditional brass. This would be considered a concept 1 system since it uses traditional cartridge and traditional brass.
At 151k with the same cartridge we had complete brass destruction which locked the bolt up. We cut the barrel out and nothing was broken on the receiver itself, not even the extractor or ejectors.

The concept #2 case designs and manufacturing difference will change those numbers. Awaiting case arrivals right now.

The concept #3 case and projectile combo....I will have to find out what the max limits on everything will be :).

Let me fire up my software tomorrow and get some numbers.

Sincerely,
Theis

This is sounding more and more like the Must Have Rifle of the year!

If the 338 Leonidas HP will also shoot factory .338LM,
On the 30 Leonidas HP, which factory ammunition would that shoot? (.300 PRC? or .300 NM?)

I think I'll probably go for one of those 2 above since there are lots of good "useful" projectile choices in .338 and .30 for all different purposes from hunting to target shooting to ELR but still toying with the idea of:

7mm Leonidas
6mm Xiphos
7mm Xiphos

Do any of those 3 also shoot a standard factory round?

The thought of 7 saum or something similar to 7SS running happily at 80k gives my a stiffy.

Xiphos a short magnum?

Reactions: brianf and THEIS
Hi,

@W54/XM-388
Major blunder on my side for replying so fast and without detailed clarification.
Luckily I have a group of guys that look out for me and the company.

Due to the liability of someone taking our proprietary HP cartridges and utilizing them in another weapon system the cartridge chambers are not compatible with "standard" cartridges.
The rifle system for the 338 Leonidas HP is the same rifle system for the 338LM and such but NOT same chamber compatibility.
End user would have to swap barrels.

I was having 4 different conversations with 5 different people about nano projectile compatibility in regards can a concept #1 and #2 utilize the nano projectile and had a blonde moment by giving your wrong information.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

@W54/XM-388
Major blunder on my side for replying so fast and without detailed clarification.
Luckily I have a group of guys that look out for me and the company.

Due to the liability of someone taking our proprietary HP cartridges and utilizing them in another weapon system the cartridge chambers are not compatible with "standard" cartridges.
The rifle system for the 338 Leonidas HP is the same rifle system for the 338LM and such but NOT same chamber compatibility.
End user would have to swap barrels.

I was having 4 different conversations with 5 different people about nano projectile compatibility in regards can a concept #1 and #2 utilize the nano projectile and had a blonde moment by giving your wrong information.

Sincerely,
Theis

I guess that does make a lot of sense since I could see somebody loading up one of your rounds in their light hunting barrel rifle and having a bad day.

How easy is it to switch barrels for an end user?
I don't need it to be AXMC easy, but at least AW / AWSM easy would be nice.

I'm assuming that the rifle could be ordered to be shipped with 2 barrels, the one for your HP ammunition and then one for standard factory ammunition?

Reactions: THEIS and brianf
Hi,

Yes the 6 and 7 Xiphos are both short magnums.
We are doing a 7 SAUM that you could run with traditional brass or lathe turned brass too.

Sincerely,
Theis

Stiffy is painful now!

I understand your designing some proprietary with non compatible chambers.

Safe move.

I guess that does make a lot of sense since I could see somebody loading up one of your rounds in their light hunting barrel rifle and having a bad day.

How easy is it to switch barrels for an end user?
I don't need it to be AXMC easy, but at least AW / AWSM easy would be nice.

I'm assuming that the rifle could be ordered to be shipped with 2 barrels, the one for your HP ammunition and then one for standard factory ammunition?

barrel changes
Theis can straighten me out if I'm wrong about this.
This action uses a breech ring and a one diameter bolt. It will require an action wrench similar to AI's. Then add a barrel vise and you're up and running.

barrel changes
Theis can straighten me out if I'm wrong about this.
This action uses a breech ring and a one diameter bolt. It will require an action wrench similar to AI's. Then add a barrel vise and you're up and running.

I've got the kit for doing the AW / AWSM / AE rifles so if it's just something like that, it shouldn't be too bad. I would just like to be able to swap the barrels myself without having to send the rifle off, especially if the barrels might not last very long when trying to chase maximum performance.

I've got the kit for doing the AW / AWSM / AE rifles so if it's just something like that, it shouldn't be too bad. I would just like to be able to swap the barrels myself without having to send the rifle off, especially if the barrels might not last very long when trying to chase maximum performance.
You won't have any problems. As I say to people. If you can change a light bulb you can change a barrel. There's work being done by many companies to extend barrel life. That's all I can say on the subject for now.

Hi,

I have gotten several questions in regards to expectations of increasing cartridge operating pressures.

So for purely Academic discussion (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ACHIEVE THOSE PRESSURES) I ran some common cartridges through a QL type simulation program for pressures and MVs and this is what a few of them looked like.
Note: That I did not go through the program testing various powder mfg/types...I pretty much just used VV across the board.

Sincerely,
Theis
Simulations #2.png

Hi,

I have gotten several questions in regards to expectations of increasing cartridge operating pressures.

So for purely Academic discussion (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ACHIEVE THOSE PRESSURES) I ran some common cartridges through a QL type simulation program for pressures and MVs and this is what a few of them looked like.
Note: That I did not go through the program testing various powder mfg/types...I pretty much just used VV across the board.

Sincerely,
Theis
View attachment 7126269

Very interesting numbers.
One thing I wonder about is if going with Option 2 or especially the full blown Option 3 and using lighter solids such as the .30 cal 155gr or the .338 256gr or 7mm 151gr if you might be able to push some velocities in the high 3k range or close to 4k for applications where you might want a lot of speed.

Very interesting numbers.
One thing I wonder about is if going with Option 2 or especially the full blown Option 3 and using lighter solids such as the .30 cal 155gr or the .338 256gr or 7mm 151gr if you might be able to push some velocities in the high 3k range or close to 4k for applications where you might want a lot of speed.

Hi,

Well I left Concept #3 purposefully off the list and I did not use specialty monolithics for comparison of the traditional cartridges on purpose too.
Now...going to the faster twist rates for the specialty monolithics in either Concept #1 or Concept #2 puts the numbers in another arena :) They become even more impressive.

Sincerely,
Theis

Pretty decent speed gains that could be achieved using the option 2 then as compared to a standard factory conventional bullet load in similar weight class.
I'm assuming if you go up to a 27" to 30" barrel, possibly just a bit more as well.

338LM Factory Velocity.JPG

I'll probably personally lean towards getting a rifle setup for Option 3 with a spare barrel for trying out option 2 when I don't want to shoot really expensive ammo.

So now I'm really looking forward to buying one of these rifles & being able to shoot it late this year.

Completely out of curiosity, how linear is the relationship between pressure and MV with everything else constant except charge weight?

Hi,

Give me a couple days to utilize my non existing charting skills and I will plot some relationship dots :)

So now I'm really looking forward to buying one of these rifles & being able to shoot it late this year.

Hi,

Which range is closer to you? Tac Pro or ETTS?

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Precisiondada
Hi,

Which range is closer to you? Tac Pro or ETTS?

Sincerely,
Theis

I go to TacPro (out in Mingus) fairly regularly (when it's cool), so that's usually my preferred range.
Partially because if you get there early enough usually you have the range to yourself, so it's worth the 2 hour drive.
The main ranges are 100 yards, 200 yards and then 1000, 500, 300 (they have a 2,000+ but only for training).

ETTS is probably similar in distance, I haven't been there before & have no idea what they are like.

Another interesting one is the Triple C Range just south of Weatherford, TX Kind of on the way from DFW to TacPro, they go out to 2000 yards.
I'm planing on trying to go there this winter after I get some new rifles all squared away to 1000 at Tac Pro.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Now you just need to make affordable cobalt alloy barrels and have the world beat a path to your door.

ETTS is solid, goes to 1200 yards. Best time to go is during the week. Weekends it tends to get congested.

That's my problem, I can't take week days off, somebody has to show up at the business bright and early in the morning.
(The young folks are doing good to show up by 9 to 11 am).

Wintertime at TacPro is pretty much deserted if you get there first thing in the morning even on the weekends. Nobody wants to get up in the morning when it's dark and cold.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I'll put in a bid for the 6.5 Grendel one more time.

I absolutely love the .223. But there are applications for which it makes sense to step up to the 6.5 Grendel before going with a cartridge in the .308 or larger class.

It's been variously described as the best (I read better) AR15 chambering. That's debatable, but it does noticeably stretch the AR15's performance beyond that of the .223.

I think that for actions that are optimized for the .223's length, the 6.5 Grendel should be an option, and that once one opens up that option; chamberings like the PPC's and even the lowly (and maybe not so lowly, as some of my .308 bore diameter handloading experiments suggest) 7.62x39.

I just thought it needed to be said...

Greg

Hi,

Happy Monday morning :)

So I spent the weekend working on various magazine release designs for our Doru chassis system and wanted to see which style of magazine release you all like better..the blended release or the "grab a tab" release?

Mag Release 1.png
Mag Release 2.png

Sincerely,
Theis

I’d be happy with either.

First pick would be the first one.
Ambi design kinda negates the need for a tab.

more of a blade guy myself
for those who have used the blended design, how does it work with gloves and cold fingers
i can be persuaded

Hi,

I actually personally like the "grab a tab" design because it allows the user to press the mag release and grab the magazine itself in 1 motion...especially with gloves.

Trying to grab the magazine with just the blended mag release is not as easy.
For pure dropping of magazine both designs function the same IMO.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I actually personally like the "grab a tab" design because it allows the user to press the mag release and grab the magazine itself in 1 motion...especially with gloves.

Trying to grab the magazine with just the blended mag release is not as easy.
For pure dropping of magazine both designs function the same IMO.

Sincerely,
Theis

Question
Ambi mag release pushes away from trigger correct?
The pivot pin seems to dictate that so you can grab the mag and pull inwards with thumb?

Hi,

Pushes, both designs push.

As can see here, the "blade" does not protrude past the trigger guard but rather the trigger guard is designed with enough space to "grab a tab" to release while grabbing magazine itself at same time.
Or
You can just push either side of the magazine release for drop out.

Release Detail.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
That grip/ trigger LOP is definitely turning into a personal preference thing. I have big hands and can't abide the original Foundation Manners MCS T4 LOP. An adjustable, universal AR grip would accommodate the most amount of people but sounds like a giant PITD to implement.

Is it just me or does that AR interface look downward canted?

It is downward canted to make many AR grips more vertical.

That grip/ trigger LOP is definitely turning into a personal preference thing. I have big hands and can't abide the original Foundation Manners MCS T4 LOP. An adjustable, universal AR grip would accommodate the most amount of people but sounds like a giant PITD to implement.

Is it just me or does that AR interface look downward canted?

Hi,

The grips can definitely be changed out for fitment of different hand sizes, I was referring to the actual distance specifications from mount to trigger opening.

It is downward canted to make many AR grips more vertical.

Hi,
Correct and my personal preference is the Ergo TDX-0.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

The problem with grip to trigger LOP is that by its' very nature nobody is really the same, even when they have gone through the exact same school house and assigned to the exact same units...techniques will vary.

A shorter grip to trigger LOP can always be increased via different grips IF the system is built with "shorter" as primary.
A longer grip to trigger LOP can be decreased via different grips BUT only to the distance the mounting interface to trigger will allow.

These 2 guys are from exact same MEU on exact deployment and look at their different techniques..so my measurement was to get conversation started with trigger pullers such as yourself; to get thoughts, ideas, why and why not type concepts going.

1565704129732.png

1565704154258.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: brianf
I’m more of a standard grip shooter like the bottom pic.
My right thumb joint is fairly messed up from a work accident and laying it flat on the receiver which seems really popular now gets painful really quickly for me.

Pretty new to the forums and looking to buy my new long gun next summer, everything with these firearms look amazing. Hopefully will be able to order one next year!

Hi,

@jtackmann
Thank you for your interest in our products, especially since you appear to been reading SH the past couple weeks instead of posting (Going off your join date in comparison to this is your first post). So thank you for bursting your "lurker" bubble by expressing interest in our products.

May I ask what you think your preference would be in regards to Sentinel stock or Doru Chassis?

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: jtackmann
Honestly I would be looking first at a Doru for range and prs to start with but I need to do some more research on the sentinel chassis. I've read a number of threads which refer to the sentinel chassis but my long gun experiences have all been on big box systems like the barrett mrad so I'm learning a lot about individual components just from this thread alone. It has been discussed and gone over already but looking at the mag releases I would for sure be in the "grab a tab" group. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.