• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How about a scope comparison in the Houston area?

Re: How about a scope comparison in the Houston ar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott and I had a conversation about that subject offline - which is where it belongs - and he and I are at peace about it. So, give it a rest.
</div></div>

Cool, good to hear. You posted that while I was typing my previous response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys f'n kidding me?

An optics dealer wants to know who is the organizer of a scope comparison, and you are going to piss him off?

An optics DEALER...want contact info...

What do you think he is wanting to do?

An OPTICS DEALER...wait, a PREMIER RETICLES optics dealer wants to contact the organizer of a scope comparison to "contribute" and you guys want to piss him off.

Holy crap.

I for one would like to make sure that Premier was represented. This is going to be the first time (that I know of) that this many scopes will be in one place going head to head. I am very interested in the results. I personally think it would be a good idea to let Scott have a shot at helping.

Holy Crap. </div></div>

That's kinda what I thought.

The meet should be interesting.

I'm not pissed off, guys. Life's too short.

Here's the deal, a fellow SH member was on our list very early and his 5-25 is on the way tomorrow. He lives about 30 miles from the test site. He expressed interest in bringing his scope to the party. I'll let him post here if he wants.

Thanks!

Scott

I am a customer of Scott’s that will be bring a Premier 5 x 25 x 56 to the comparison if there is interest in having it there for the evaluation (barring any unforeseen obstacles). I planned on attending the comparison anyway and contacted Scott who I have had an order with since the announcement of the scope 5 x 25 to see if it would be possible, I think it would be a void not to have a sample there for the evaluation.

I will be very interested in the observations since I have never had the opportunity to evaluate one first hand, my others are S&B . Thank you Toney and others for all there efforts it’s a great idea and Scott with Liberty optics for sending one.

PS There is a scheduled 300 yd slow fire prone, iron sight sling or F class, at Bayou Rifles Sunday, open entry $20 7-7:30 sign in, in case any of the attendees are still in the area.

Sweet, I am also on the list for one of PH 5-25x56 scopes.... just don't know how far down the list I am. Can't wait to look through one.

Does anyone have the address for Avlin Community College? And which parking lot? I'd imagine they would have more then one.

Well, I googled Alvin Community College and it shows several different campuses.

The one you'll want to go to is in Alvin at 3110 Mustang road. When you turn off of Loop 35 onto Mustang road you'll go about 1/4 mile and see the campus on your right. Turn into the campus and drive around the back of the main building and you'll see the baseball field. We will be setup somewhere around the first base side of the field.

Don't worry Bacarrat, this college isn't like driving around U of H, you won't get lost.

If anyone needs additional help give me a call. 281 386 9789

Looks like I am not going to be able to make this as I will have family in town to visit. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Wish I could meet everyone.

Best,
Josh

man, I can't wait for this. I have one of the 5x25's on order and would love to see how it stacks up agains the rest of them. I am expecting it to do real well. This is going to be a treat. I will have to miss a couple of hours of work for it but I made up for that this morning. RG

That's too bad Josh, you could always bring the whole family with you though. What's the matter with them don't they want to be around a bunch of people they don't know looking through scopes they probably don't care about as much as you do? I promise I'll tell your wife that the most expensive scope there only costs $549.95.
smile.gif

FWIW...(for what its worth),Ill have a 3.8X22X44 USO with box, papers etc. and its for sale if any ones interested.

Thanks for the heads up on this Tony.

I will be there for sure and i'll bring along my nxs 5.5-22x50 for anyone who wants to take a look. You had mentioned earlier about low end scopes to compare to, I also have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 mildot that has been sitting in my closet since I upgraded. I'll be glad to bring it as well if you would like.

Look forward to meeting you guys.

Edit - well looks like I spoke too soon, the wife came home last night with some bad news regarding her job and we have some things to work out this weekend. Wish I could have been there.

This is going to be pretty simple, well it's getting more complicated by the day, but as simple as I can make it. After all, this only started out as a get together for guys to look at some high end glass to see the different features of them before they actually decided what they wanted to buy.

It's turned in to something else.

The show will start at approximately 6:00PM and will be a hands on thing for about an hour and a half or so. By this I mean that you'll be able to hold scopes, look through them, turn knobs, basically test drive them.

At about 7:30 or so we'll place all of the scopes that will participate in the "test" in the holders that have been constructed for them. The scopes will then be covered up with material, leaving the ocular and objective lens' exposed to look through. The viewer will be able to reach under the cloth to adjust the parallax knobs for their eyes.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of the guys will be able to recognize some of the scopes from feel, or reticle design, etc. as would be expected after you've been playing with them for an hour and a half before hand. We are just trying to express to everyone not to let their "emotions" get in the way of what they're actually looking through. If a cheaper priced scope looks better than a more expensive one, so be it.

I had originally thought to have the test first and then let people fondle the scopes afterward. However we're going to go until dark with the test and then people would be trying to look at the different features under a street light, and that would kind of defeat the original purpose of this meeting in the first place.

Anyway, there will be 12 different questions that will be asked of each person. You'll be given a check sheet at the start of the review and asked to rate the scopes. This may take awhile and you will probably have to look back and forth through different scopes to form an opinion, especially when the light starts going away.

Here are the twelve questions on the check sheet.

1. Spherical Abberation. when you look through the scope at something with straight lines, such as a building, and move the scope back and forth, do the lines bend when they get near the edges of the glass?

2. Tunnel Vision. When you turn the power down do you reach a point where the field of view doesn't get any bigger and begins to "suck back into the scope"?

3. Resolution chart. We'll have several different resolution charts set out at a range that has not been determined yet. What are the smallest lines that can be clearly seen?

4. Mil spacing at 100 yards. Is the Mil Dot spacing accurate? We'll have a "barber pole" constructed from...something to be determined.

5. FOV matching the power ring. I'll have to research before hand what the published fov is on each scope and we'll figure out some way of turning the power ring until that fov is reached and see how that relates to the number on the scope.

6. Color Resolution. I'll have different colored shapes set out at a predetermined range to test how well the viewer can resolve different colors.

7. Low light / Light Gathering. As the light starts to fade which scopes do the same thing.

8. Eye relief at different powers. Which scope has the best eye relief and most forgiving eye relief?

9. Turrets. Which turrets do you like the most as far as click feels, zero stops, etc.

10. Shapes in Shadows. We'll have some different shapes set up in the shadows to see which scopes can resolve them better as the light is bright and then starts to fade.

11. Resolution at Distance. Just because a scope can resolve a chart at short range, can it do the same thing at distance. There will be plenty of things to look at about 800 yards away. There will be buildings, signs, people, basically a shopping center with a target rich environment.

12. Overall Impressions. What do you like, dislike, would like to see changed, combined, etc. etc.

There you go. That's what I plan on doing.

Like I said before, bring cameras, scopes, spotters, video cameras, it's all good.

It's going to be very hot, probably up over 100 degrees durning this test so dress appropriately and bring plenty of water and snacks. I'll have a big cooler of water there. This is a community college and no alcoholic beverages are allowed on site.

It looks like there may be a chance of rain this weekend. No worries, if that is the case, from the ball field look back toward the North East toward the college and you'll see some flag poles. Head over in that direction and there is a big "tunnel" that will be protected from the rain, we won't miss a beat.

See you all there.

If anyone gets lost and needs directions give me a call and we'll get you sorted out.

Tony
281 386 9789

Guys that are going to attend this and bring scopes. I know that this most likely does not need to be said but just in case. Please DO NOT bring a scope mounted on a rifle. One of the stipulations for everyone to use the college campus was that there would be no firearms present. A bunch of dudes by the baseball field with rifles might cause a little stir!

I hope everyone has a good time.

Ken

You may see chromatic aberration better if you look a couple hours earlier in brighter light.

Thank you for your input, but since the times have been decided on for quite a while now, I'll just have to settle for a flawed test when it comes to aberration due to the late hour in the day we'll be starting the test.

Although I think we may have more daylight at 6:00 pm on the Gulf Coast than you have in Oregon. We'll still have about 2.5 hours till dark here.

What the temp down in Alvin today? About 104 in the shade?

Sure to be a memorable goodtime! Shooting buddies, the best scopesights in the world, and BBQ!

Aside from the telescopic magnification quality and turret movement perceptions, aside from assuring that reticle and parallax can focus precisely at distance without fine-tuning the objective, is there any way to really "measure" the performance of the instruments?

Would be interesting to have a profile as to eyesight of each person reporting their findings. 20/20 eyesight? Nearsighted, farsighted, other corrective issues? Also interesting to see how Quality Binos and Spotting Scope resolve the same target.

Great idea and hope all have a great time. Don't forget your salt tablets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the temp down in Alvin today? About 104 in the shade?

Sure to be a memorable goodtime! Shooting buddies, the best scopesights in the world, and BBQ!

Aside from the telescopic magnification quality and turret movement perceptions, aside from assuring that reticle and parallax can focus precisely at distance without fine-tuning the objective, is there any way to really "measure" the performance of the instruments?

Would be interesting to have a profile as to eyesight of each person reporting their findings. 20/20 eyesight? Nearsighted, farsighted, other corrective issues? Also interesting to see how Quality Binos and Spotting Scope resolve the same target.

Great idea and hope all have a great time. Don't forget your salt tablets! </div></div>

Swamper,

You want to do a survey of the participants being deaf, dumb and blind? That should work out well in Texas
eek.gif

Hope to see the results posted here.

Thanks,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well how was it? </div></div>

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

Tony and Danel put on a great event. About 15-20 of us showed up, one guy drove all the way from Witchita Falls. Unfortunatly (for us, but good for Texas) a storm blew up and we didnt get to do all we wanted to. My evaluation is:

#1- Hensolt because of the sight picture and overall clarity. i also liked its compact/short build which I think would be an advantage in some mounting situations, especially on an AR platform.

#2- An overall tie between the S&B and the Premier. Id be hard pressed to really pick one thoughi might go with the S&B because of the long term reputation of the product, and thats in no way a slight to Premier, a really nice scope.

Many thanx to Tony and Danel, and the Community College for letting us use the campus. nI think they will have some more detailed info coming.

My .02

The event was alot of fun and a great eye opener to the quality of alot of the newer glass.

The new Premier was something to see. What a nice piece of glass. I will say that its a large scope, alot larger than I expected but didn't disapoint.

As for the Hensolt, and I wasn't alone on this, the eye relief front to back was amazing but if your so much as a hair off side to side, you would get shadowing. I'm also not sure if it was a lack of familarity with the Hensolt, but for the life of me I could not get rid of the fish eye effect, and I meen quite a bit of it. On the other hand It was the clearest one there only compairable to a 80mm pentax (hubble) spoter that was there.

A few of the USO's that showed up weren't all that much to write home about as fare a clarity but the feel and build of them is obviously one of there strong points.

I didn't really get a good chance to review the S&B's befor the monster rain and lightning show but an end to the review, but what i did see was very good.

Again, thanks to Tony and Danel for putting on such a great event and I hope that we can make a get-together like this more offten.

Goldie,flyboy,

Thank you for the kind words. It was Tony driving the train I was along for the ride and material support. Mainly I was just glad to be able to meet nice folks such as yourself and the others who showed up. Putting faces with names in this age of the impersonal internet is a treat.Thank you to everyone that made it and those willing to bring scopes for others to try out was defenitely a unique opportunity. The rain at the end was a kick in the head but overall I think it went real well and I look forwardc to hearing from those that attended and their take on the scopes there and if it influenced how they felt about one piece of glass over another.

Take care and it would be nice to see this event and others like it generated around the community to bring shooters together to share thoughts, and experiences.

Again thank you and be safe.

Danel

Well, we had about 18 guys and one lady, Danel's wife Sharon, show up for the scope show. Like Goldie said one guy drove from Wichita Falls, about seven hours, and Goldie drove down from Austin, about four hours away.

I was disappointed that we had no Nightforce scopes here. The one I expected to show up did not make it in time and no one else brought one either. There were 21 scopes present from 11 different manufactueres:

Tasco 2.5X10 Varmint/Tactical with Mil-dot
Super Sniper 10x
Super Sniper 16X
Primary Arms
Falcon 3x9
Mueller 4X16
Mueller Tac 2.3X10
Schmidt & Bender 4-16X50
Schmidt & Bender 5-25X56
USO 3.8-22X58
USO 3.8-22X44
USO 3.2-17x50
USO 3.2-17X50
Leupold 6.5-20X50
Heritage 3-15
Heritage 5-25
Leupold 4.5-14X50
Hensoldt 4-16X56
Leupold 3.5-10X50
Unertl 10X
Leupold 3.5-10X50 LR Mil Dot

The weather started out nice and cloudy, there had been a big thunderstorm back to the East for several hours but didn't appear to be moving very much. The temp was about 94 degrees.

All the scopes were laid out on the grass for about an hour or so for people to handle, look through, discuss, put in tripods to help viewing, supplied by Danel and Sharon of Precision Rifle Solutions, etc. We than mounted the scopes in the brackets as you can see in the pictures.

As guys were looking through the scopes and filling out the check sheets they had resolution charts set up at 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards, along with different shapes of blue, red, and yellow at those distances too. We also had a barber pole set up at 100 yards. There was a restaurant about 600 yards away that could be viewed as well.

The actual check sheet part of the test started at about 7:15 or so. We would normally have been out of light by about 8:45,but at around7:45 to 8:00 the thunder storm that had been stationary came rolling in and we had some serious lightning and rain come down on us. Instead of the light slowly fading with the sunset, it went away very quickly in the space of about 15 minute. We had to grab everything and run from the storm. As it was all the scopes got a bath due to the wind driven rain blowing all the way through where we had the scopes set up. We ended up getting an inch and a half of rain in about the hour or so that it came down.

Basically the majority of opinion seemed to be that the Hensoldt, Heritages, and S&B scopes were at the top of the pack, in no particular order. It is very difficult to see any difference with the human eye on these three scopes. The consensus seemed to be that if you are in the market for a high end scope, the determining factor should be for you to buy the scope that has the features that you like because the picture through it is going to be so close to perfection with them that you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Different comments were made that:

"the picture through the high end glass just kind of POPS out at you, as compared to the cheaper priced scopes"

"You can definitely tell good glass when look through it"

As you can see from the scope lineup the USO scopes had a larger representation than any of the other scopes present, except the Leupold of which there were four also. I heard comments from four of the guys there that all followed the same line, that being "I'm kind of disappointed in the picture through the USO's considering how much they cost" These was four different comments made at different times to me. The question that I had asked these guys was "well what do you think?" I didn't ask what they thought about any particular scope, just an in general question about their impressions. One of the guys had brought his own USO SN3 and said "I have to give the USO's a frowny face, and I have one" I don't think that's exactly word for word, but close.

I would like to thank all of the guys who made the time to come make this little get together a success. It was good to be able to put faces with names, and I hope it met with your expectations, especially you guys that drove so long to get here.

Any of you guys who were there please feel free to make any comments that you would like about your impressions or opinions about the different scopes that were on hand.

Thanks to John Williams of US Optics for sending out two of his scopes.

Thanks to Nathan Hunt of HuDisCo who sent the Hensoldt scope.

Thanks a lot to Scott Berish of Liberty Optics who made sure that he had a Heritage 5-25 delivered to one of his customers in time for him to bring it to the show.

Especially thank you to Danel and Sharon Jenkins of Precision Rifle Solutions. They made up the display boards that the scopes were mounted in and also brought he tripods that were available for anyone to use to support the scopes.

Last but not least, thanks to my son, Hunter, for running around for me at the last minute, you were a big help bud.

Re: How about a scope comparison in the Houston area?

I thought you had a Nightforce? I would have sent you my F1 to use if I knew you didn't have any Nightforce scopes in the group. I know the group would have liked it. Having owned most of the scopes on that list I would put it in the top 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tony and Danel put on a great event. About 15-20 of us showed up, one guy drove all the way from Witchita Falls. Unfortunatly (for us, but good for Texas) a storm blew up and we didnt get to do all we wanted to. My evaluation is:

#1- Hensolt because of the sight picture and overall clarity. i also liked its compact/short build which I think would be an advantage in some mounting situations, especially on an AR platform.

#2- An overall tie between the S&B and the Premier. Id be hard pressed to really pick one thoughi might go with the S&B because of the long term reputation of the product, and thats in no way a slight to Premier, a really nice scope.

Many thanx to Tony and Danel, and the Community College for letting us use the campus. nI think they will have some more detailed info coming.

My .02 </div></div>

Big +1 on the thanks for putting this on. The Premier 3-15 was fantastic. Probably the best glass but I left wanting a USO SN-3 T-Pal 3.2-17X with EREK

Very nice. Look forward to hearing more impressions.

I own or have owned Premier 3-15, NF 5.5-22x56, S&B 5-25, USO SN3 3.2-17 and Leupy MKIV's.

I honestly would "settle" for any of them. All excellent optics. If I had to pick the best sight picture from them all, I would go with the S&B, with the Premier and USO right on its heels. I love the EREK on the SN3's, and I dig several features on the Premier as well.

All awesome scopes. Great job.

Thanks for your efforts, guys. It looks like the top scopes did nothing to lose their billing! What a great learning experience. There is no substitute for spending time behind the glass.

I'm disappointed NXS wasn't reviewed either. It probably outsells all the other scopes combined! But that's just me talking.

Great job, and look forward to all the other comments from the participants.

Scott

Tony ( TAB Gear)and Daniel Jenkins (Precision Rifle Solutions [email protected] )with his wife really put forth a great effort. It has my first time to meet them in person, great people, 100% if they make it and you need it, buy it from them. They are beside being really enjoyable will to do what ever it takes for the customer.About 25 people give or take came form all over. Billy Shepperson from Lance Creek WY with Long Range International was in the area and came by http://longrangeinternational.com/home.html he was a USMC 8541 Scout Sniper with considerable combat experience in Iraq.

I think it went very well, one thing there were so many scopes which were of various levels it is very hard to really evaluate. One thing which has been said before about glass you for the most part get what you pay for in quality and features.

So far as what I consider the top end IMO Schmidt Bender, Premier Heritage, Hensoldt an US Optics. I think it gets down to a large part on the features a person likes and different scopes for different applications.

Cut to the chase I really believe the Premier Heritage over all to be top choice feature, value, quality features in every department. Even though I have them S&B scopes, some S&B tunnel at low power, no MTC knobs in ( except USMC Model), higher price, no service US, knobs on double turn not as friendly. The Hensolt has the finest clarity the mirage none of the others had it just pops, color rendition, really great eye relief ( Premier was right there with it with a long eye relief) knobs on others I liked better, high in price. The USO scope have a lot of great features and options but something seemed off just slight bit ( not sure the year theses scopes made which some say can influence quality, I am not sure about that). SB and Hensolt at the time will hold value better for the time being due to name recognition.

They will serve, it’s the shooter beyond all else but once again the Premier over all comes out on top IMO, the 5 x 25 PR really seems under utilized on a .308. It would be really close tose up between Priemer 3x15 and SB 3 x 12 USMC contract model MTC knobs. Priemier has 3x more power and better price.

ALL these features are fine advances on these new scope but Daniel brought his Uternal scope, which is " old school" gets it done

Hi Guys.

I'm the guy that brought the 100mm Pentax spotter with 20XW eyepiece (some refer to it as the Hubble Telescope) along with 70mm Siebert Quality Modified binoculars. Both are considered among the best in the birding and astronomical communities.

With those two top flight optics as a reference point, it was interesting to see how the rifle scopes stacked up. First the consesus seemed to be that the spotter and the binoculars beat out all the optics there. Really not a surprise since the objectives were larger, 100mm and 70mm. Thus they simply had more brute force resolving power, all else being equal.

Now of the rifle scopes, I thought the Hendsoldt had comparable "Pop!" as my two top flight optics though it lost in the light gathering/resolving power departments; not its fault since its objective was only 56mm. Close second was Schmitt Bender which was pleasing as well.

Then to my eyes and some other guys who commented to me, the other high end scopes made up a big mushy middle which they had a hard time telling apart. The only USO scope I liked was the one with the custom Horus Vision reticle. The others sort of made up the middle of the middle, nothing to write home about. Some of the Leupolds were also middle-middle while I think one was top middle. Overall, it was splitting hairs in this range.

I also brought two Muellers, the Tactical 4-16x and Tactical II 3-10x. The Tactical 4-16x I think was second up from the bottom, better than the Tasco. The TacII seem to pull in lower middle.

My personal conclusion was that when not buying a Hendsoldt or Schmitt, buy based on other features, like price, turrets, click repeatability, size, weight, eye relief, customer service, warranty, customizability, etc.

The main complaint I have is that for the Heritage/Premier, Schmitt, and Hendsoldt, it was so darn hard to turn the turrets. USO had the best turrets in that regard.

Maybe in the future, we can host an event where the whole spectrum of sports optics get hauled out for everyone to examine? We'll probably have to start earlier for something like that.

Tony, you going to post a summary of the reviewers commentary cards?

Thanks for Tony for putting on a awesome event. And as Platypus has said, others should put on a event like this around the country too. For people like me that is in the market for a new scope, it's great to see a lot of different options before I plunk down the cash.

And for the miscellaneous ramblings about some of the scopes.

Hendsoldt - arguably it had the best glass there, great eye relief, the colors were crisp and clear, didn't really notice any fish eyeing as others have commented, turret adjustments had a good tactile feel to them.

S&B - never been let down with any S&B I have looked through and played with, I like everything about this scope (except for the price tag lol). I believe S&B is the standard by all others are judged by.

Premier Reticle - WOW, what a great pair of scopes. I would put the Premiers on par with the S&B. I especially love the feel of the turrets on the Premiers. The 3-15x50 has a hard stop every .5 mills and the 5-25x56 has it at every mil. Some people were complaining about the non markings for the parallax adjustments, I could careless. Once on the rifle, I could adjust pretty quick, I really never look at the markings to begin with.

USO - I was a little disappointed with the USO's. To me the glass is just not that clear for a high end optic, but then again, I really don't like the glass my NF either. My old IOR (Schott glass) had much clearer glass. Another thing that I thought was kind of odd too was that the turret adjustments on the USOs weren't that consistent. Some felt mushy, and some had a good tactile feel to it. I believe all the USOs had EREK knobs on it.

Unertl - For a "old school" scope, it was pretty impressive. The glass was decent on it. The elevation and windage adjustments are kind of odd (to me at least) but from my understanding, it's really simple to use. The thing that stood out with the scope is that it's built like a tank, probably tougher. You could seriously take the scope beat someone to death with it, mount it back on the rifle and it would work perfectly.

Leupolds - I have really never been impressed with any of the Leupys I have looked through and played with. For the money they are not charging for them, I say go NF. I believe they would be better if price along with some of the Nikons, Burris, Bushnells, and the such.

The Pentax spotter was pretty cool to look through. The color and clarity of this spotting scope was awesome. Much better then any of the scopes at the event IMO. I have a cheap spotting scope now. I could see why some of these other spotting scopes cost as much as they do.

I was also surprised that there wasn't a NF there. I should have unmounted mine right before I went to the event.... I already had the rifle out.

As for the best overall scope. I would have to say the 3-15x50 Premier, even though I am waiting on the 5-25x Premier... I like the extra power. The 3-15x50 isn't that big of a scope, has awesome turrets, very clear and is priced right (to me at least). Another thing I noticed on pretty much on all the high end scopes with power ranges in the 22x and more is that they are a little cloudy on full power. I am sure other optics experts could chime in and say why. Maybe they need a bigger objective lense? I don't know.

Also got to check out the TAB Gear Elite sling. Holy crap, you could probably tow a 747 with it. The AustriAlpin buckles are nice. I almost want to sell my regular TAB sling to get one of these things!

Well, it looks like Baccarat was typing at the same time I was.
smile.gif

First, thank you Tony for setting up this comparison. It was very useful and the scopes had a some surprises for me, both good and not so good.

My number one interest in the scopes was for deer hunting in the South Texas brush country, so I brought a cull buck rack. The rack was placed in the shadows up against the trunk of an oak tree, so the picture was antlers with a dark mottled brown, grey, and charcoal background. The test turned out to be pretty realistic and helpful to me at least.

My comments are mostly weighted based on looking at this sight picture for comparison, followed by clarity on the resolution chart and long distance picture, and then low light resolution.

For reference. I use NF. Had a Leupold previously, but changed to NF which was a major improvement.

S&B - short report, to me it is still the standard by which the others are judged. Great optics, turrets are easy to work, its clear, and it works well in low light. Not much else to say. It was the one brand of scope I looked at and did not really notice anything lacking, needing fixing, adjusting or improvement.

Premier - This is one of two scopes I came home thinking, "I wish I owned that scope" - with an asterisk.

The Premier has very heavy duty construction and "feels" very solid and stout. It seems more "solid" than the S&B. It was second only to the Unertl for a solid feel of construction to me. The glass was every bit the equal of the S&B, maybe even ever so slightly better. Comparing the 5x25 and 3 x 15, with both set at 15x, the 5x25 was slightly better to my eye. The same was true in comparing the S&B 4x16 and 5x25, with both set at 16x.

Now for the asterisk, the negative was the focus/parallax adjustment was too stiff on the 5x25. We were in hot humid conditions, so fingers were moist and the knob was hard to adjust. There is too much resistance and the knob had a slick outer ring. I truly hope someone at Premier reads this and will change both the amount of resistance, and use a knob with serrations in metal or a diamond pattern, or some textured metal finish which is easier to hold. In cold wet weather with gloves, the knob would be very frustrating. *IF* the knob is fixed, and they turn out to be as durable as a NF, this scope would be the best of the best. Notably, the windage and elevation turrets were just perfect, so hopefully this is an easy fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for the Hensolt, and I wasn't alone on this, the eye relief front to back was amazing but if your so much as a hair off side to side, you would get shadowing. I'm also not sure if it was a lack of familarity with the Hensolt, but for the life of me I could not get rid of the fish eye effect, and I meen quite a bit of it. On the other hand It was the clearest one there only compairable to a 80mm pentax (hubble) spoter that was there.</div></div>

+1 For me, the Hensoldt was the by far most disappointing of all of the scopes. It had very long eye relief which was nice, but the "fish eye" effect was noticeable to the point of being distracting. Even more distracting, it is extremely sensitive to head position and significant shadows appeared with very slight head movement in any direction. Perhaps this would be a good characteristic for precision paper shooting for benchrest shooting or F-class, but to me, this scope was so uncomfortable on the eye as to be not useable in field conditions.

USO - Overall, the optics disappointed me especially in the low light. One of the USO's, a 58mm, was noticeably better than the others and it had very, very good resolution on the black and white resolution chart. However, I could not count the points on the deer antlers in the shadows with any of the USO's when light started fading. The upside to the USO is they have the best knobs/turret set-ups.

Unertl - this was the other I scope I came home thinking, I really wish I had that scope. This thing is built like a piece of oilfield pipe stuffed with S&B glass on the inside. The knobs are easy to hold, they click firmly and positively into place, and are spaced far enough apart that they are easy to count and not lose track. There were only three scopes which were good enough for me to be able to count the antler points in low light, Premier, S&B and the Unertl. Considering that the Unertl is a fixed 10x, and I was turning up the magnification on the other two, this was really an impressive scope considering the old technology at work. I honestly walked away very impressed, not because of the history of the scope, but just because it is a well made, well designed, good performing scope.

Leupold - it is time to give up any illusion on Leupold. They are FAR behind. The field of view is narrow, the resolution was poor, and low light meant it was time to go to the next scope. Save your money until you can buy a NF. These are overpriced and underperforming. I am appalled that the Army with its budgets is giving this piece of kit to anyone in the field.

Other - Platypus and Mrs. P were selling tripods that are about 10" high with a "U" bracket on top that are perfect for rifles without a bipod - like the M40A1 or typical hunting stock rifles. They are very light and compact. TAB's new slings are really easy to use. The base model seems to be more than strong enough.

The TAB ground mat is much lighter than the Eberle roll out mat I have been using. Also, the TAB mat has a loop on each corner, so it can be used as a rain fly in a pinch with some 550 cord. The TAB mat definitely will go hunting with me next fall.

That's my two cents, I hope it helps provide some data points for the next person out there thinking about a scope. I walked away satisfied with my NF's feeling that I was equipped more than well enough, but still wanting a Premier and the Unertl one of these days in the future.
wink.gif

Everybody basically summed up the pros and cons of each scope, but I'll weigh in.

The Premier was like holy crap! Glass was very clear and I really loved the turrets! click..click..click..CLANK..click..click Just like a fishing reel. Nice and fat turrets made it easier to turn and the exposed detent when on the second turn. The illumination knob took some time to find. The only thing that I didn't like was the absence of parallax markings. The 5-25 was pretty damn long and huge.

The Hensoldt was very bad ass. Nice and compact compared to the PR and S&B. Eye relief was wow. It was a very friendly scope. Resolution and image clarity was top notch and probably the best. The turrets were kinda eh, I gave it like a 7/8 on the paperwork.I was spoiled by the turrets of the PR.

I also noticed a variation on the USO's such as the feel of the turrets.

Very hard to distinguish the top scopes from each other on resolution. On low light capability, it was very very hard to distinguish due to the rapid changing light and we had lots of clouds and then a huge storm rolled through.

The Falcon was probably the best scope for its price point.
The Unertl did noticeably better when the rain came in was what I heard from one of the guys.
PR would be the best overall and the one that I would want.

Thank you all for doing this. This has the potential to be the absolute best review thread ever since it was the same light and a whole lot of sets of eyes.

Looking forward to reading all of it as it progresses.

Good luck

Kudos to Tony and Daniel for putting this on. It was a great learing experience for me. I came specifically wanting to compare the qual of the premier, s & b, and the Hensoldt. I was really looking at the 5x25 because I have one ordered through Scott at Liberty Optics. I was not disappointed in my choice of the premier. I thought that all of the 3 I mentioned were extremely high quality. The Hensoldt was very clear but I did notice the blacking out if you moved a little to the side. The s and b was very nice also and I loved the premier. What I got blown away with was the 3x15 in the premier. I thought that after looking at all of the scopes that this one was fantastic. The build quality of that scope is like a freaking tank. The dials on it are big and easy to grip. It lets you know wihtout question when you are turning them and by how much, very audible. Once you make a couple of clicks you get the thunk that lets you know exactly where you are. I did not care for the lack of markings on the parallax but I can get used to that in short order. My rankings would be as far as overall clarity, a tie between the hensoldt and the premier with the s and b coming in very close second and maybe just as good as either of the other 2 depending on how my eyes saw it. What sells the premier for me is the cost. Just my opinion but why would anyone who saw the 3 as pretty equal buy anything other than the premier when it is close to 1k less than either of the other 2 and is American made? I am still going to get the 5x25 but I can see the 3x15 coming soon after. Overall, they are all unbelievable scopes and if you could get any one of the 3, I don't see how you could be unhappy with any of them. Compared with those 3, I was really not impressed with any of the USO's or other scopes. Tony, Daniel, thanks again for a wonderful time and what I consider an educating experience. Many thanks also for talking with me about how to get into some of the shooting matches. RG

It looks like they guys who came had a good time, I'm glad for that. I was worried that someone driving from Austin, or Wichita Falls would go home thinking "what a waste of a day" If we do this again we're going to have to have name tags with Hide names and real names on them. I'm terrible at remembering names.

I took some pictures, but D_Lamz did so much better with his camera I'm not even going to post mine. Thanks very much D, for taking the pics and posting them too.

It's great you guys are stepping up with your opinions after looking through everything first hand, I'm sure that will help other people who couldn't make the trip in their future scope buying decisions.

Rob, I thought I had a NF lined up from day one and never gave it a second
thought. I realized Monday that it hadn't shown up and found out that for whatever reason it hadn't been shipped. It would have had to have been shipped overnight by then so I said just don't worry about it. There were several other guys who had volunteered to bring their NF scopes so I figured one of them would have brought theirs. Oh well, it just wasn't in the cards this time.

Bacarrat, the PR 3-15 has the hard THUNK ever mil just like the 5-25 does, it's just that the scale on the single turn 22 mil knob is only marked every .2 mils. That's probably why you thought it was every half mil.

rundm, my pleasure and hope to see you at a match some time.

My thoughts on the scopes after looking through them were just a confirmation of what I've thought and already said. Buy the best quality you can afford, with the reputation of the internals and the features you desire being the main factor, the glass will be there.

For me, I still like the features of the PR Heritage scope. I've been using a 3-15 single turn since they came out and just really like everything about it. After looking through the 5-25 Heritage I am even more convinced that I would like to have one, but only with a Gen II reticle inside. I still think the XR reticle would be too fine for me in the role I would be using it, match shooting inside 1000 yards with the power turned down to around 15 power, but that's not what the reticle is designed for either.

Having read all the reviews, I'm a bit surprised that so many found the USO glass to be so "sub-par". I've looked through all the scopes listed, and shot through most, and would not say that the glass is so good in the PR, Hendsolt, and S&B, as to say that USO glass is sub-par, or middle of the road.

I will say that the S&B I used to shoot did have some mighty fine glass, and I will admit it could be considered to be a bit clearer than my USO, but I could still see my hits at 1k with both scopes. Discerning one being "better" than the other was a difficult task, being as both were excellent.

That being said, I would've liked to have made the event, to spend some time behind a PR 5-25.

No real surprises in any of this... sort of went how I figured, 18 viewers with 18 different ideas of what they were looking at, like moving your head to the side and losing sight picture ? Ah, ya, how about that.

Either way it was good for everything to see this side by side as lot of people aren't able to do that, so good on everyone for making effort.

Overall no earth shaking revelations so now you can all go back to trying to squeeze the differences out of the glass again. The which scope is the best debate will be promptly following this post.
smile.gif

Am I correct in surmising that this grand test not only accidently omitted the NF line, but also had no Vortex or IORs?

Not intended as a slam in the least. This type of "round up" review, especially with many reviewers, has been LONG OVERDUE.

Mucho props or whatever y'all say in TEXAS, By G-D!

First off I would like to thank Tony, Danel, and Sharon for working together to make this happen. I very much appreciate their efforts.

Comparing all of these scopes together was a great way for me to see how each one performed through my eyes. I am not purposing that I can say with authority which one is best. I can say which ones looked the best through my own biological optic.

The Hensodlt, Premier, S&B and the USO are built to take a beating. The Unertl is too but since I cannot buy one I am leaving it out for now.

To me, the Hensoldt, Premier and S&B had the best glass. Of these three, The Hensoldt came out slightly better in this category. The image was very sharp, clean and bright. It did the best in low light conditions. The premier and S&B were a very close second.

I did have my mind changed concerning reticles. I was very fond of the Horus vision H25 and H37 reticles. However, looking through the reticles in the lowlight pre-thunderstorm conditions they were hard to distinguish the graduation marks and masked the object observed. I did enjoy the Premier Gen2 XR that was on the 5-25X56 Heritage. It is now my preferred reticle.

It would be a hard choice for me between the Hensoldt and the Heritage. Maybe I should play the lottery, and if I win I would get both.

Thanks again you guys for doing the get together.

Jim

I'd just like to see the scores (or averages) of the resolution charts at 100yds of the top 4 (S&B, Hensoldt, USO and PR).....

I can tell you that as far as the resolution chart goes the Hensodt will win with the S&B and PR probably in a tie. while the USO's were nice, I don't belive they were new and I also can say that everyone took the time to clean thier glass befor bringing it to the event so that in it self could have an effect. But of the scopes you listed thats how I would see the ranking going.

I would give the resolution chart winner to the Pentax Spotting scope. lol.

But yes, the Hensoldt PR and S&B are in a class of their own when it comes to clarity. The others don't come close IMO.

Did anyone in attendance take the Premiere Heritage 5-25 and the S&B 5-25 side by side for an eval?

Thoughts on a direct two horse comparison?