• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How long is too long? 22" barrel question

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
I am probably going with a 30-06 for this long action build. Want a 22" barrel as it will be my hunting rig and range toy so I want some mobility. I know a longer barrel would get me a little more out of the 06 but that's okay. A 308 w/ 20" barrel is my ideal gun.
Can anyone comment or show some pictures of their 22" barreled rifles and explain the mobility of said rifle? I know its not that long and only a 2" difference front a 20"... but I am a shorter handier rifle kinda guy!
Would love to see 22" barrels as is and with brakes on them!! Please comment on the weight and balance as well!
Thanks in advance :D

FWIW......Berger manual states that a .30-06 will add/lose approx 25 fps per inch of bbl length added or removed.

Personally I have toted rifles with 22-26 inch barrels here in the US and over in South Africa. If it's thick brush or thorns...I simply deal with it.

Are You possibly over thinking this?

I am absolutely probably overthinking this a lot.
I am just excited to get this receiver built up! Trying to plan out all the little stuff I guess.
Thanks for the response!