• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How many carry on vacation?

JM4590

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
Midland,Va
How many of you carry while vacationing? Not talking about when driving to your destination, but when flying. Only applies to U.S. Heading out to AZ then to MT then home. Is it prudent to stuff an EDC in the checked luggage?

Reactions: MadDuner
How many of you carry while vacationing? Not talking about when driving to your destination, but when flying. Only applies to U.S. Heading out to AZ then to MT then home. Is it prudent to stuff an EDC in the checked luggage?
Yes it is.
But also know the state laws where you are going.

Put it in an approved carrying case and declare it.
Just don’t retrieve it from your suitcase while still in the baggage claim area upon arrival. LOL
That makes the local LEOs a bit tense.

Am I wearing pants? Then yes.

Also, declaring a firearm in your checked bags helps ensure that bag gets to where it’s supposed to get.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
If I was going to AZ, I would definitely carry if legal. Check to see if your state has reciprocity, or obtain an out of state AZ ccw license.

If I was going to AZ, I would definitely carry if legal. Check to see if your state has reciprocity, or obtain an out of state AZ ccw license.
AZ is constitutional carry. No CCW required. When visiting relatives in AR, I take half a dozen weapons; handguns, ARs, suppressors, etc. And carry while there. But I fly my own aircraft, so no TSA. Not so much on left coast. NV, ID, UT, WY, MT, same as AR. Rarely if ever transport on commercial flights.

I have a couple times. Once TSC gave me a hard time, and I had to come when my name got called out on the speakers. Had to open my locked case that was in my bag... PITA. All the way back from the gate to security again. Just glad it didn't delay the flight, or I lose the bag. The other time it was as if I just had a regular bag... Nothing special. (well, except for the paperwork when I checked it at the counter)

Is it worth it? Well, I hate flying, especially nowadays, but just because I'm on vacation... doesn't mean the assholes of the world are.

Reactions: muzzleloader
You guys need to check both the airline's and TSA's websites for the regulations for transporting firearms on an airplane. Something about a TSA approved case and TSA approved locks.

I've done it a number of times. It's pretty simple and I've never had any problems.

Reactions: darkfader
Tampa airport is very easy and cordial. Agent walks you and your bag to the X-ray after you put the orange steal me tag inside your bag. Goes through, you get a thumbs up and head to your gate. One time an agent thought I had loose rounds, but was a partial box. Polite about it and didn’t take any time at all.
Seattle, fuck those assholes.

You guys need to check both the airline's and TSA's websites for the regulations for transporting firearms on an airplane. Something about a TSA approved case and TSA approved locks.

I've done it a number of times. It's pretty simple and I've never had any problems.
Fuck TSA, and fuck their “approved” locks. Flew to a class last month, a member of the class was a well known knife maker. He gave out gift knives to everyone. A buddy had his stolen by someone with a TSA approved lock key, everything else in the case was left. AI ASR, can, assorted high end kit, they took the knife. Definitely have a good case, pelican or better, but I’ve never used TSA locks.

Fwiw, I deal with TSA on a daily basis for work. Follow the rules but don’t give them an inch.

Edited to add, TSA lock is not a requirement.

Fuck TSA, and fuck their “approved” locks. Flew to a class last month, a member of the class was a well known knife maker. He gave out gift knives to everyone. A buddy had his stolen by someone with a TSA approved lock key, everything else in the case was left. AI ASR, can, assorted high end kit, they took the knife. Definitely have a good case, pelican or better, but I’ve never used TSA locks.

Fwiw, I deal with TSA on a daily basis for work. Follow the rules but don’t give them an inch.

Edited to add, TSA lock is not a requirement.
TSA like most .gov agencies is a minimum of 50% DEI hires.
Some of them will be “opportunists”.

Be absolutely sure to verify with your particular airline on their policies. I usually fly Southwest and I declare a pelican or similar case with good padlocks loaded with whatever I’m taking. Tsa will have you open the case to verify what you declared and then lock it back up. When I land, I have to go to the baggage customer service desk and they bring the case down, show ID, and I’m on my way. There’s also a weight limit on ammo, and it has to be stored in the box it came in, not in magazines and definitely not loaded into the firearm.

I’ve done this countless times and it’s relatively hassle free. Only adds a few minutes before and after the flight typically.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
TSA minorities and lesbians give the most trouble. Checking in at Atlanta? Prepare to get your firearms stolen. I've had to call their airport PD while at the gate after watching chimpanzees run off with my gun case and a rock to try and get in it. It's like watching National Geographic.

I flew armed for most of 2000-2010 and got to see it all. Atlanta was epic, tried to steal a gun case about 1 in 4 flights consistently.

Depending on WHERE I am going...I opt to ship my gun ahead of time in states/cities where gun control is over-reaching. I just avoid the whole concern. TSA is the worst.

Reactions: lonegunman762x51
Tampa airport is very easy and cordial. Agent walks you and your bag to the X-ray after you put the orange steal me tag inside your bag. Goes through, you get a thumbs up and head to your gate. One time an agent thought I had loose rounds, but was a partial box. Polite about it and didn’t take any time at all.
Seattle, fuck those assholes.
I'm a born and raised (greater) Seattleite. I've only ever traveled inboud with firearms. Never had a problem (and I wouldn't expect to, based on the process).

But, one time the baggage handlers routed my suitcase (with my locked case inside of it) to the normal baggage carousel insted of the baggage claim office. This, inspite of the BIG WHITE TAG on my suitcase saying "DO NOT ROUTE TO BAGGAGE CAROUSEL !". FFS :rolleyes:

I don't go anywhere without a gun and I don't go anywhere that doesnt allow it. Flying is very easy with a carry gun and they won't lose your luggage. Then again the places I frequent are very 2A and gun friendly, not interested in anywhere esle anyway. I also will not route through liberal areas unless I cannot help it. Costs me more sometimes but screw it.

Reactions: MadDuner
I have traveled (flown) several times with long guns, not really any issue. Always shipped ammo ahead of me. This time taking EDC. Ammo in mags, outside of pistol, in the locked case? Or in ammo box inside checked bag? Or do I need a Pellican large enough to contain pistol and ammo in ammo box so ammo is not in the mags. I have read it can be both ways, in mags outside of firearm or in box.
Thanks to all
Who have participated thus far!

Always, on vacation or traveling for work.

It's easy.

I don't know where "home" is, but Arizona and Montana should be non-issues. Obey the law and TSA regulations, and you should not have any problems.

Also, you don't need any fancy cases or locks. I use whatever hard sided case I can find and locks from Walmart, whatever fits. Then if the TSA ever cuts them (they haven't), I can just replace them easily.

I put the pistol and mags in whatever hard sided case I have - even if I have to jam my Glock into that H&K USP cutout in the original plastic case that came with the H&K, who cares, it fits, and I put the case in my suitcase. Ammo in the suitcase, too, in the original box. Lock on the gun case. Lock on the suitcase.

Go up to the baggage counter. "I have a firearm to declare".

They give me a slip to sign. I sign (says its unloaded and such).

Then they send me over to the TSA oversize baggage thing, usually within a 100 yards or so. I give it to the TSA unlocked. I retain the key. Nobody gets my key, ever. That used to be a problem a couple of decades ago, and I used to have to fight with ticket agents from the airline and TSA folks, and I always carried a copy of the regs and told them the regs tell me to retain the key. That has not happened in years, though, so I think everybody is better trained and more used to the process now.

I make them lock it back while I am watching, or I do it myself. I once had a TSA agent years back try to put it on the conveyer belt unlocked, and I tried warning him politely, then raised my voice, and he was actually setting it on the belt by the time I was screaming at him at the top of my lungs and climbing over the partition rope to seize my suitcase back. I am sure he was setting me up for theft. Half the damn concourse was staring at us, and he realized too much attention was on him, so he pulled it off the belt, and I locked it back. That was also a long time ago and has not happened since.

Be aware that when you arrive, your suitcase might go to oversize bags to be claimed, where they will want to see your ID to make sure you are the person who owns that suitcase. Or it might not. It might just pop out on the regular baggage carousel.

Depending on the airline, some airlines put a big zip tie on the suitcase. I keep a folding knife inside the suitcase where I can grab it just in case. I cut that damn zip tie off right there at baggage claim.

As for whether I load the gun or not, I often wait until outside the airport, at my rental car, but it depends on the airport and the culture of the place. I haven't loaded it in the airport since that guy in Fort Lauderdale Florida committed a mass shooting with his gun from the checked bag back in 2017. Before that I used to do it pretty often. I would be worried about panicking others or, panicking an officer who proceeds to drill me six times before I can say anything, like that poor Senior Airman who answered his door in Okaloosa County recently. DRT, no time to do anything but briefly raise his left hand in a defensive gesture.

As for whether I load the gun or not, I often wait until outside the airport, at my rental car, but it depends on the airport and the culture of the place. I haven't loaded it in the airport since that guy in Fort Lauderdale Florida committed a mass shooting with his gun from the checked bag back in 2017. Before that I used to do it pretty often. I would be worried about panicking others or, panicking an officer who proceeds to drill me six times before I can say anything, like that poor Senior Airman who answered his door in Okaloosa County recently. DRT, no time to do anything but briefly raise his left hand in a defensive gesture.
For that reason, I usually carry kind of concealed. Full sized 9 mm with 17 rd double stack mag in an OWB under a large angler shirt (t--shirt underneath.) Even though I live in Texas, I work in the big city and I don't want people freaking out because I am wearing a gun without a badge or uniform.

But if someone sees it, so what? Not only does Texas have permitless carry, I still keep my LTC, which required an extensive background check.

Reactions: NFAJohn
I fly for work fairly often and just flat out don’t go places where carry isn’t permitted. I use a pelican air suitcase, pistol in a soft case. I don’t use TSA accessible locks after I’ve had my knife and flashlight jacked. Once I went to real locks I had no issues.

Soon as I make it to the rental car I grab my pistol soft case from the suitcase, hop in the car, load and secure into the holster. Doing it in the rental draws zero attention, just another tourist setting up car play.

As far as the case goes I like the pelican air cases because they don’t scream gun case, just a big industrial looking case. Zero stickers on the outside just a big label that says “ Calibrated Electronics Handle With Care” I figure the DEI hires will pay it less attention if they think the case contents involve any form of work

Reactions: ggmanning
TSA minorities and lesbians give the most trouble. Checking in at Atlanta? Prepare to get your firearms stolen. I've had to call their airport PD while at the gate after watching chimpanzees run off with my gun case and a rock to try and get in it. It's like watching National Geographic.

I flew armed for most of 2000-2010 and got to see it all. Atlanta was epic, tried to steal a gun case about 1 in 4 flights consistently.
Atlanta is the only Airport I have had gun issues.

Since I know the majority of my travel will be to two states, I have gone to the trouble of getting non-resident carry permits for them. Are they required? No.

Sometimes I am in a rental car in TX. With an Illinois/CA/NY auto plate. And an out of state DL.

If I get pulled over I can provide my DL, along with a TX carry permit. Just makes things go easier.

I don't have the time nor interest in educating cops in other states on my rights. I just want to get my job done and go home.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
I make them lock it back while I am watching, or I do it myself. I once had a TSA agent years back try to put it on the conveyer belt unlocked, and I tried warning him politely, then raised my voice, and he was actually setting it on the belt by the time I was screaming at him at the top of my lungs and climbing over the partition rope to seize my suitcase back. I am sure he was setting me up for theft. Half the damn concourse was staring at us, and he realized too much attention was on him, so he pulled it off the belt, and I locked it back. That was also a long time ago and has not happened since.

Be aware that when you arrive, your suitcase might go to oversize bags to be claimed, where they will want to see your ID to make sure you are the person who owns that suitcase. Or it might not. It might just pop out on the regular baggage carousel.

Depending on the airline, some airlines put a big zip tie on the suitcase. I keep a folding knife inside the suitcase where I can grab it just in case. I cut that damn zip tie off right there at baggage claim.

LOL, after the last few posts this morning, I just thought I would add, that was in Atlanta

:ROFLMAO:

I do think they have gotten better, though, both as to familiarity with the regulations and process, and weeding out the criminal networks from the ranks of TSA employees. I haven't had any issues more recently.

Oh . . . Atlanta

SMH

Maybe Montana one day - they keep pushing up real estate prices, though

Yes