• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to choose a custom action

Decisions, decisions......I'm really partial to the Kelby actions, due to my Palma rifles, and really like the looks of their new Black Bear, but the idea of ordering a Impact WITH a barrel......

Reactions: kthomas
Decisions, decisions......I'm really partial to the Kelby actions, due to my Palma rifles, and really like the looks of their new Black Bear, but the idea of ordering a Impact WITH a barrel......

Kelbly was to my knowledge the first company to build actions to such tolerances that prefit shouldered barrels could be made for them. Since the 90's they've had that capability.

You should have no issues getting a pre-fit shouldered barrel for a Kelbly. Impact is far from the only game in town for that. In fact, most actions these days have that capability.

Kelbly makes a great action, I wouldn't hesitate to go Kelbly if you already are sentimental towards that company.

Impact barrels that are in stock are at your door in 3 days and if something is out it doesn't take long to restock.

They are some of the most accuracte barrels I have owned. Stutesville is a wizard.

I have a Bartlein barrel on a trued up M700/pinned Tubb lug/etc that is in a McMillian A5, stocked by Alex at Master Class Stocks. First 5 shot grp went into under .250". I partial to Kelby, but love the idea of the Impact/barrel combo availablilty.

Impact barrels that are in stock are at your door in 3 days and if something is out it doesn't take long to restock.

They are some of the most accuracte barrels I have owned. Stutesville is a wizard.

Not very good planning if you need a barrel ASAP. It's pretty easy to plan for a new barrel months of time out, but I can see in rare circumstances how some may need/want that. I've never personally needed that service, but cool they offer that for those that do.

I can get a barrel spun up and delivered for my rifle with my specific reamer in about a ~2 week turn around time.

Kelbly's has prefits available in stock. The tennon print is available, any gunsmith worth their salt can spin up a barrel for a Kelbly without seeing the action. Straight Jacket Armory, Bugholes and a bunch of others make prefits for Kelbly's.

I think the advantage of prefit barrels sitting on a shelf somewhere is pretty overblown, and I personally wouldn't let that drive my decision.

Undoubtedly there's lots of excellent actions available now.

It comes down to a matter of what features you want in your action.

- AICS mags?
- Quick barrel change capabilities?
- Availability of shouldered prefits?
- R700 footprint?
- Interchangeable bolt heads?
I don't know shit from shinola, but my limited experience necks down to the above from your original list. Bottom line, I don't think I'm willing to put up with scrounging parts and support for non-R700 foot print actions and I would much rather swap barrels than build whole new rifles. As much fun as it would be to drop $2500-3000 on an action and chassis for every caliber/purpose I might have, I'd just as soon not.

Reactions: kthomas