• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Howa 1500 .308

back2square1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2013
Nebraska
Morning all,

I recently decided to get back in the LR scene, and probably made a piss-poor choice for a starter rifle, but when you start at the bottom, there is only one way to go.

I haven't shot over 250 yards in probably 10 years, and everything under that was with my 1891 Argy Mauser. I came across a Howa 1500 .308 with a NS GameKing, price was right so I snagged it.

Spent the last few days reading up on different stickies, trying to remember stuff that was taught to me 12 years ago has been a challenge.

Anyway, I'll try not to be too much of a pain. Any tips/hints/tricks about the Howas is appreciated, even if you do say sell it and build something decent.

Re: Howa 1500 .308

I cannot speak for Howa's but I can speak for getting back into it after a while out. I started with a savage 308 in a A5 stock. I got a deal that I could not pass up on and I grabbed it like you what I did do is buy some good glass.

Don't give up on that Howa just because it costs a few bucks less. I've shot a few in 22-250 and 223 that would get the job done for sure. I recommend them to others but most people have never heard of them. Smith & Wesson and Weatherby use em that says a little something. Look around here a little I just read a thread with some more Howa info. Punch Howa in the search box on the left.

thanks koryk...i need to get some time behind this rifle to see how she goes boom, only problem is currently finding anything to shoot around here is, entertaining to say the least. I just found a guy who will run out some match loads for me.

And my bank account can't support a reloading setup, especially after magPul-ing my 870, buying the SW66-1, the glenfield 60 and the Sig Mosquito, (plans for a can for that one).

I think you will be suprised with your howa. They are actually quite nice and have alot of features already on them. The only down fall I'd not everything is available for them but its getting better.

Good to know. I have heard good things about them, my main concern was the fact that it was a light barrel, as compared to most heavy barrels i see being utilized by those with custom builds. I honestly am looking to get to maybe 600 reliably, which I don't think should be a problem, gun should do it, idiot behind it may jack it up though.

The Howa has a fine action and they make pretty decent barrels too.
Bolt is a one piece forging, the handle can't be knocked off. The bolt also has an AR15/M16 style extractor, recoil lug built into action, and flat bedding surface. all nice attributes. Just doesn't have the aftermarket support like other actions. Some smiths don't like to mess with them because of metric threads. Moon will take it if you want to rebarrel.

Hide member Short Action Customs can upgrade almost anything you want with the Howa. Can't fine anyone to do a side bolt stop. If you make it to a trigger upgrade, buy from Howa(Legacy Sports). Don't waste your time with the others.

I've got Coppercreek 308 coming to try in Stubby, my 18" custom Howa. Love em!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hide member Short Action Customs can upgrade almost anything you want with the Howa. Can't fine anyone to do a side bolt stop. If you make it to a trigger upgrade, buy from Howa(Legacy Sports). Don't waste your time with the others.

I've got Coppercreek 308 coming to try in Stubby, my 18" custom Howa. Love em! </div></div>

Mark Gordon (AKA Short Action Customs) did a really great job with the howa I sent him. Originally it was shooting 1"-1-1/2" at 200yds. After he sprinkeled his magic dust on top of it, installed a new barrel, and bedded it in a manners T4A it can now consistent group .5"-.75" at 200.

As far as the trigger, Mark did an awesome job tuning it to 1.5# and greatly reducing any creep or overtravel. An enlarged bolt handle was also installed by mark and it was blended seamlessly into the bolt. Mark has awesome attention to detail.

My Howa .223 has been sitting at GAP for almost a year now, while Mark Gordon returned my .308 in just over 2 months. I highly reccomend him for any work you may want to do to the howa.

Step one...New stock. this is a mock-up from last night after i got done finishing out the cheek piece for bolt travel...will probably seal the laminate tonight.

2013-01-31_20-25-55_993_zpsd66698df.jpg