• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting rifle 22" or 24"

justintimesc

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
South Carolina
I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for so figured I would ask. I'm building a hunting rifle in either 260 AI or 6.5 creedmoor haven't decided yet. I want to know how much velocity I will loose with either round when going from a 24" barrel to a 22" barrel. And how it could possibly affect the drop.

Re: Hunting rifle 22" or 24"

Somewhere around 25-50 +/-. You should not lose enough that it is going to make a dramatic difference. With the shorter barrel, you will have to compensate in your scope by dialing in more elevation or having more holdover on your reticle.

You will be much happier with the way the 22" handles. The velocity drop is insignificant compared to the much more user friendly shorter barrel especially on a hunting rifle.

Just my opinion.

I started with 22" but now use 24": nothing to do with ballistics. The 24" is quieter: very important when not wearing hearing protection.

I went with a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm 6'2" so 2" on my rifle wasn't a big difference. You may want to consider muzzle blast/flash, and as mentioned above noise factor.

I had the same delemma on my 7-08 ackley. Noise vs, Velocity vs, handling. I split the difference at 23" and have been happy with my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same delemma on my 7-08 ackley. Noise vs, Velocity vs, handling. I split the difference at 23" and have been happy with my choice.</div></div>
^^
^^
This

When I was trying to decide between 24" or 26" for my 7mm. I split the difference and settled with 25". And everyone knows that odd length barrels shoot 100-150fps faster and hold tighter groups.

I just spent 10 days in Alaskan bush and felt my 24" barrel was snagging on every willow out there. Didn't take long for me to notice that my guide was sporting a 20" thunder stick. So between the two options you bring up, go with the 22" any loss in velocity will more than be made up by handiness.

Thanks for all the replies. I do believe I'm going to go with the 22". I feel like it will be a little more handy. What do you all think about a #5 contour for a hunting rig to heavy or just right? Thinking about a #5 fluted cut to 22"

I am finalizing the specs on a hunting rifle now as well. For me a #4 or #5. Possibly fluted but that does not seem to save that much weight. If I was really thinking weight conservation then I would go #3 which should be just fine with a quality barrel.

I have a 22" 6.5 CM and I average 2675fps from the 140 Amax with the factory loads. The box claims 2775fps from a 24" barrel but I'm always suspicious. Another guy in my local club has a 24" Rock Creek on his 6.5 CM and with factory ammo is getting 2730fps.

We can share wind info but not drop info.

ETA: As to the contour, mine's a target rifle and I used a tube that I already had sitting on the shelf, so it's a borderline truck axle.

For a hunting rifle, especially if it won't be suppressed, I would run as light of a contour as possible and just get the barrel from a top quality maker.

I've seen really light contour barrels shoot incredible for 20+ shots. They're incredibly hot afterwards but they shot great at 800-1000yd. The barrels were from Krieger and were installed by a good builder.

Especially for a hunting rifle that will likely be carried far more than it is fired, I would be running a pencil thin contour.

If you're hunting long range, you'll want all the length you can get.

If you're hunting woods and in deep cover, you'll want short, if not even shorter.

I have several hunting rifles:

.280 AI with a 25" magnum contour
.260 Rem with a 20" M7 contour
.308 Win with a 22" Ruger sporter
.35 Whelen with a 24"

The 25" on the AI snags everything in the woods and the barrel has several scuff marks to prove it. Its a .25 MOA shooter and the CBS is within half an inch of the warm-bore groups. Its my go-to gun for hunting if I may have to make a longer shot.

The .260 M7 is a pooch when it comes to velocity/accuracy, but it does handle like a dream. I'm not comfortable shooting the rifle over 200 yards. I really haven't found a great load for it yet, but maybe a fast powder and light bullet will alleviate some of my problems. If I can't come up with a good load, I'm going to re-barrel it in .308 or 7mm-08 AI.

The .308 handles quite well, but I'm just not a fan of Ruger rifles or wood stocks. Its not a tack-driver, but it consistently shoots under MOA for 3 rounds, but the cold-bore is a good distance from the warm-bore groups.

The .35 Whelen I haven't even fired yet. I'm still waiting on a B&C Alaskan Ti stock for it. I'm thinking about swapping to an old-style Rem trigger and cutting it down to 20 or 22".

I think your best bet is to go 24" and see how it does for you. You can always have it cut down the extra 2" but you can't cut it longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same delemma on my 7-08 ackley. Noise vs, Velocity vs, handling. I split the difference at 23" and have been happy with my choice. </div></div>

Same here.
I did a .260 with a 23" Bartlein in a #3 contour and I'm pleased with it.

If you go the AI route, you may wish to consider that the extra capacity will need a longer barrel to have a similar expansion ratio.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 22" 6.5 CM and I average 2675fps from the 140 Amax with the factory loads. The box claims 2775fps from a 24" barrel but I'm always suspicious. Another guy in my local club has a 24" Rock Creek on his 6.5 CM and with factory ammo is getting 2730fps.

We can share wind info but not drop info.

ETA: As to the contour, mine's a target rifle and I used a tube that I already had sitting on the shelf, so it's a borderline truck axle.

For a hunting rifle, especially if it won't be suppressed, I would run as light of a contour as possible and just get the barrel from a top quality maker.

I've seen really light contour barrels shoot incredible for 20+ shots. They're incredibly hot afterwards but they shot great at 800-1000yd. The barrels were from Krieger and were installed by a good builder.

Especially for a hunting rifle that will likely be carried far more than it is fired, I would be running a pencil thin contour. </div></div>

Good post. A lot of the rest of the thread's funny.
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OpticsBroker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spent 10 days in Alaskan bush and felt my 24" barrel was snagging on every willow out there. Didn't take long for me to notice that my guide was sporting a 20" thunder stick. So between the two options you bring up, go with the 22" any loss in velocity will more than be made up by handiness. </div></div>
All my carry rifles are 20" or less now for this reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with 22" but now use 24": nothing to do with ballistics. The 24" is quieter: very important when not wearing hearing protection. </div></div>

Great point....you would be amazed at how much difference a few inches makes in muzzle blast. All of my coyote hunting rifles have 26" or 27" barrel's. I dont use hearing protection when I call so I can hear the coyote vocalization and pinpoint it. All of the electronic protector's I've tried will not pinpoint distant sounds....so far.

I have seen short thin contour rifles have significant amount of muzzle flip that would have some affect on follow through and follow up shots. Not saying this is a deal breaker but is a factor for considderation. I would think there would not be much difference in the weight if you went up on the contour one size or two up from thin. And the muzzle blast is a good deal more with a 20"-22" than the 24".