• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am out of good ammo, anyone know where I can find some .308 168 or 175gr

Knight6

Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
California, USA
I have a GAP .308 which will not take any old ammo, so I am looking for some good quality ammo, properly sized, at a non-gouger price. Sadly I cannot reload at this time. I am ordering from SouthWest both new and reloads but wanted to try some other makes as I decide what this rifle likes best, but ammo is hard to find right now. Even worse I am in CA. Called BlackHills for some of their .308 Match 168 grain but they are not selling and passed me on to a shop that wanted $35+ for 20 rounds of 150gr Blackhills Amax. Anyone got any sources? Really looking for 168gr but will also go for 175gr. Would love to get hold of some Federal SMK BTHP Gold Medal 168 or 175. Open to any suggestions both on ammo, and sources to actually be able to buy some. Also, right now I am deployed overseas so cannot do any face to face. Just want to stock up for when I get home at the end of April.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.

I checked on Dong's website; looks like they have supply but they are not shipping a bunch of stuff. Gotta go there and buy it at the store; good for locals, bad for others.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

You might be surprised how well a GAP works with any old crap. Mine is still MOA out to 500 (easily hitting a 5" plate at 500) with several types of surplus South African 147gr.

The steel doesn't seem to mind that it's not getting smacked with FGMM or my handloads, and working up dope on the 147s is fine practice for when you can get the ammo you want.

I thought they were shipping ammo, just not powder or primers. Could be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

Edit: Just tried to add something to checkout and got the no ship notice, sorry for the false hope.

I'll be heading back that way at the end of March and would be willing to help some guys out as long as I have money up front to go. Just let me know.

Last edited:
My GAP wouldn't take cheaper Ultrmax .308 which has got some reasonable reviews re-cheaper ammo but, could not close the bolt. Which I take it is either a headspace issue or that the round is not sized accurately? Would welcome some advice on this. This is why I was looking for accurately sized ammo. It liked Blackhills. Thanks for the info' on a source. More advice gratefully received!

Has anyone tried Desert Tactical ammo? Based on their other products I would expect it to be good quality. Anyone know who makes it?

Copper Creek is out of .308 right now. I have an order waiting to be filled there, which is about all you can do in this environment. Either pay the gouging prices or get in line with one of the good guys and wait your turn. Every now and then some FGMM will pop up on Palmetto State's website, but it's usually gone within 20 minutes.

Wow it is really crazy back home. Being overseas I am a bit out of the picture it sounds like here is a run on just about everything guns, ammo, reloading supplies........

call Sean at Mile High (ad with phone number above) as they had some today at ok prices

D9Firearms in Overland Park KS had around 1300 rnds of FGMM 168gr the other day- 1500 until I ordered my 200 rnd case. They were 350.00 shipped and the guy was awesome to deal with. Might check them out.

Darrel at www.d9firearms.com

Wow it is really crazy back home. Being overseas I am a bit out of the picture it sounds like here is a run on just about everything guns, ammo, reloading supplies........

Yes, is crazy here right now. My local shop looks like an Old Navy store on Christmas eve ... completely picked through! Fortunately, the owner has restricted ammo sales to 1 box of any given caliber per customer.

i have been lucky and been able to pick up m118lr and match for 20/22 a box shipped. so thats what i have been running. mine seems to like it just as much as the fgmm.

South West ammunition, if you don't mind waiting 4-6 weeks after your order for delivery

there are some guys that i bought some from at a gun show idk if they will ship to cali but i know they do to NC its northGeorgiareloading.com they should have some match 168 rounds thats what i bought from them.

This is turning into quite a hunt! But hey I'm up to it. By the way, anyone got any decent ammo they want to sell???? Got to try everything! Don't forget I am in that really great State of CA if that is an issue (well actually I am posted overseas at the moment). Found some great ammo on Gunbroker but found either they did not want to ship to CA or the price was, well, crazy, still hopefull though. Dongs is saying (on their website) they are not selling online just in store. Prices on Gunbot are really high, but may have to bite the bullet on price eventually, just hate paying $2+ per round. I am in contact with D9 and others. This information is really useful, please if you have ideas let me know, I think others may find it useful as well, even when we get past this mad house period. Thanks to all that have, and hopefully will, respond to a log range shooter in need!!

Walmart has good prices, although stock is unpredictable. Recommendation - call your local one every day at 8 AM to check if they got resupply the previous evening (trucks arrive late at night and shelves are stocked during third shift). You will be limited to 3 boxes per person, so bring friends. Just got a box of 20 rounds for $22 the other day, which is reasonable I suppose.

As I find out who has supplies or has ammo from the suggestions and other sources I will post the info' - pay it forward! Always open to more ideas!!

Also ammoseek.com sometimes has great deals; just make sure to factor in shipping costs for the per-round price. Really difficult to beat Wally World prices when you can catch them in stock.

Hey no problem I met them at a gun show they were nice guys and they do there own reloads and I was doing a patern in my .308 so i bought some 10 rd packs so they were high but if u buy 50 boxes there not that bad I think they were 45-46 a box. The only thing I found was that with the 150 or 155 amax they were a longer COA. Like I said I just dont know if they ship to CA. Good luck

Jasin1890 - I have put in an order so I will see what happens. Also have orders in with South West both new and soon reloads. One kind person is willing to sell me some spare ammo they have so thanks to them. Will keep checking gunboat, and gunbroker see if I can find a good deal. I am going to call Dongs as their website says they are not shipping ammo. I have an order in with copper creek so will see how that goes, I am also in contact with D9 so will post what happens with that. Will call Desert Tactical for their custom loading as it does not seem that expensive. Will call Mile High and see how that goes. Sniper Central says they will have ammo in beginning of March so will try them, will also check out Walmart but a bit difficult from overseas. More ideas welcome! You guys are great, I really appreciate the help. Not the best time to be trying to get ammo but needs must! Love the Hide and the folks on it! Keep those ideas coming I know there are non-gougers out there somewhere but seeing .308 going at $2-3 per round is depressing.

Found some via ammo seek.com from cheaper than dirt, so order a couple of boxes, have to see how that goes. Thanks Maxyim

You know, as hard as it is to find ammo right now, I just decided to support a 'hide sponsor. I can hunt for stuff that will be hit or miss quality and "settle" very expensively on whatever I happen to find - whether its what I want or not.

Or I can work with a hide sponsor, wait the same length of time it would have taken for me to search anyway, and get good stuff - oh and support a sponsor of this community along the way.

From my conversations of the last few days, I think they are:
Southwest Ammunition
Canyon Creek
McCourt Munitions
Lewis Arms

I've got some 175 FGGM if you happen to be coming back to the 29 Palms area. Just let me know.

Dallas reloads... Chad he has a good deal on 155gr AMmax and 168 AMA s... If I remember right it's 75 bucks plus shipping for 100

I've got a know good load for Rem 700, Win 70, FN SPR, etc with long freebore chamber. I've got a customer testing some ammo in a GAP, APA, KMW chamber for me. Once I have a known good load I'll get cranking on some 175 SMK ammo for the shorter freebore dimension chambers.

$1.15/rd for Tac Match with a 175 SMK plus actual shipping.

I have ordered a bit from quite a few places now, some with good prices. Once I finish up I will give you all some idea how it went. I especially thank those who have offered their own ammo for one reason or another! This would have been a lot easier if my rifle was not so picky and I had already worked out what it liked. Having said this still not reason not to add any more good guys to deal with if you know any good dealers not gouging. I reckon these good guys will do well when this is all over as they will have built up some serious credibility.

Just checked out Dallasreloads.com - 155 A-max- 2790 fps in 26” barrel; 168 A-max- 2600 fps in 26” barrel. Both $82 per 100 rounds (100 round minimum) add 3% for credit cards, and shipping ranges from $12 - 19 up to 300rds, tel: 972-877-2356 if anyone is interested.

Definately worth checking out McCourt Munitions 3 up from this post. I was sent a very nice PM from them and will definatley give them a go.

This info has been great. I have ordered from a number of Hiders and from a number of suppliers. Reloading suppliers and Hiders, maybe not surprisingly reloading companies and Hiders have ended up the cheapest between 0.85 - 1.1 $ SHIPPED! Suppliers of new Have ranged from 1.3-1.58 shipped, remembering I am looking for good deals not the expensive providers. I am buying quite small amounts from people as I am still seeing what the gun likes. It is really choosy. Obviously you can get some additional discounts for bulk, 500 or 1K purchases. Talked with GAP about my choosy rifle and they said they use SAMMI minimums so match grade ammo is really the way to go, out of spec ammo may thus cause an issue, but every gun is a little different, and as we all know they all have their own personality. But all the above prices are match grade. Currently the overall average per round shipped is coming out at $1.22. These are pretty good prices for right now. I am also looking at the suppliers delivery times from order to arrival. I have ordered about 800 rounds in total. So as said before I will let folks know how different folks perform right now during this crazy time once all the info is in if folks are interested. Still open to ideas!

perfectly good reason why you should start reloading. Plus it is addictive, there are so many different ways to try and shave that group size

Agree Popeye089 but hard when deployed overseas. Only home for a few weeks each year. I gather right now that even reloading equipment is hard to find as well as bullets and brass, well for .308, .223, .45 that I use.