• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I could use some feedback on $1000 rifle scope

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Hey shooting friends, I think I have decided on my $1,000 budget "starter rifle". After much research I am leaning, heavily, toward the Begara-14 HMR. My budget also allows for a $1,000 scope. Here are my candidates: Vortex Viper HS-T, NightForce SHV, Bushnell Elite Tactical G2DMR reticle, Shightron 25003 SIII, Burris 201032 SIII, Athlon Ares. However, if any of you have what you consider a better option, please let me know, and thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Why are you considering a vortex viper HS-T which is only like a 350 dlr scope? Did you mean to say vortex viper PST II?

The PST II is going to be a decent candidate. The HS-T, not so much...
Thank you, I was looking at the wrong notes.

Reactions: stello1001
No problem...

Another option you can look at in that price range is the Bushnell DMR II. They hover around the $1000 price tag. Be sure to look at the PX here as you can find good options there.

Those are good options. The Sightron probably has the best view, but lacks some features.
What’s your intended use?

For ruggedness, reliability and glass clarity, I would recommend the NightForce SHV. You won't regret it.

Reactions: ken226
I have the Burris and Sightron you mention above. Brother in law has the Ares. I had the vortex HS and PST models. Have several NF but not the SHV model. Haven’t used the bushnell.

NF- Japan
Sightron - Japan
Burris - Philippines
Ares- China

In that order of recommendation based on what I’ve used

The Burris XTRII really shines in the 3-15 model. The higher power models aren’t very good glass.

The Sightron (owned 4 of the SIII) and all have been solid with great glass. They lack some of the features tho. At least the ones I have do

Ares is most feature rich of those mentioned. Great all around but not enough time using to say it’s going to hold up etc. only had for a short period of time. If this model holds up I’d rank it above the Sightron

Bushnell stuff I’ve owned has always seemed to be worth the price

Vortex- both my HS and PST failed and got sent in for warranty then sold. So I don’t recommend vortex in those models

Last edited:
What magnification are you interested in. That makes a decent difference in price sometimes. Also, illuminated reticle? FFP?
Stick with Japanese glass if possible.

Reactions: Wading
Those are good options. The Sightron probably has the best view, but lacks some features.
What’s your intended use?
Thanks Kane for your response. I will train myself to long range shoot again. It’s been a long time since the military and my Remington M21. Beyond that, competition will come later.

What magnification are you interested in. That makes a decent difference in price sometimes. Also, illuminated reticle? FFP?
Stick with Japanese glass if possible.
I really would like to have at least 5-20X40. Thanks.

The NightForce SHV 5-20X56 has Great glass. Have owned this one as well as several nxs models as well. Tracks well for being half the $$ of its big brother nxs. Will not regret the purchase.

Why are you considering a vortex viper HS-T which is only like a 350 dlr scope? Did you mean to say vortex viper PST II?

The PST II is going to be a decent candidate. The HS-T, not so much...
I Have a HS-T, a PSTGen 2, HDMR or ETR is a big jump ahead of the HS-T.

I would also consider the Brownells MPO, especially if you think you'll do any hunting with this rifle. It's a good hybrid scope for a good hybrid rifle.

Reactions: TripleOrNothing
The Ares ETR is made in china. The scope is good for the money. My bitch about it is the floating dot reticle in the MILS model. Check in the PX here. For a couple of hundred more you can find a Cronus BTR that is made in Japan.

The Ares ETR is made in china. The scope is good for the money. My bitch about it is the floating dot reticle in the MILS model. Check in the PX here. For a couple of hundred more you can find a Cronus BTR that is made in Japan.
Doug at cameralandNY has an awesome deal on the Cronus right now.

His price is what $1299 for an open box model? That is a steal. My top price in the PX for a used one was $1200. They list for like $1700.

Reactions: Poorboyr
In the end, spend $200-300 more, that Jap glass make you happy long time.

I have a first gen Cronus and love it. I'd recommend it over everything else on the list if you're willing to buy a used scope or spend another 300 for the one at cameralandny

Thanks Kane for your response. I will train myself to long range shoot again. It’s been a long time since the military and my Remington M21. Beyond that, competition will come later.

If you are former military I would recommend you buy directly from the mfrs. Just about all of them have discounts that will get you at least 10% below the best street prices. Check out ExpertVoice for many. Tract has good MIl/LE discount and since you can only buy from them the discount is a good one. With that discount this scope is the one I would recommend: