• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

Re: I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

Thanks Vu, that's who I PM'd. I'll wait until the end of the w'end and if no contact then I'll follow up with Trapshooter12.

Just getting myself ready for my rifle's arrival soon.

Okay, I know it's already been said, but the IOTA is terrific. I got one to fit in my 5x25 Premier and it works great. It makes dry firing practice indoors so easy. I've really enjoyed it and well worth the $.

I would like to apologize to all of you that have found it difficult to reach me in the past weeks, I have had very limited access to a computer while I have been away from my home.

Thank you to all of you that have been using my lens and now that I am home I hope to catch up with the folks that are still interested in the I.O.T.A.

Thank you
Chuck

Chuck

I'd just like to say what a great product the IOTA is, I have now been using it for about a couple of months and have recently started to combine my dry fire training with computer simulations of the matches that I wanted to practice my hold, position and trigger release on. Using a laptop or netbook that provides a backlight for the target I am able to correctly size the targets to simulate the range I wish to shoot at and adjust the target exposure times to replicate the matches. Heck I can even get the range commands to play so that everything is as it would be at a competition. The image below is of the US Service Rifle Combat Targets used in the AFSAM Matches at Camp Robinson.

Slide1.jpg

Another beauty of using a computer screen is that you can very quickly adjust the target size to get it just right by scaling the image, with the aspect ratio locked, without having to print paper targets and the target resolution is usually better than when printed.

Well I can honestly say that the IOTA is worth every penny for dry fire practice indoors !
Being able to practice day or night is great. I've been using my laptop also for putting targets up. Have been using Vu's he posted up as it has enough variation in sizes of dots to keep me happy.
I took some pictures to give anyone who doesn't have one an idea of what they can expect when they order one.
Mind you I was having a tough time getting both the reticle and the target as sharp as they are through the scope because I couldn't stop the aperture down on my wife's point and shoot to get a larger depth of field.

Here it is out of the packaging
x2kyls.jpg

Back side instructions, This was made for my Vortex PST FFP
b8sjmr.jpg

When you get it as some have said it will be over sized. I decided to use the soft side of a double stick Velcro instead of masking tape. It goes on nice and smooth with just a little compression from the Velcro.
2gwrr5f.jpg

Here's it set at 12x on my Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50, distance to the target was 11' 1".
Through the scope at this power setting the target was in focus so don't blame the IOTA for a blurry sight picture, blame the photographer.
20ijl9k.jpg

12x with illumination set at 10
311l206.jpg

24x same distance to target
16gdiqr.jpg

Here's my indoor range
os7btf.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks again Chuck ! He puts out a great product and is a fantastic person to work with to boot.

Just got the good news mine is on the way! My NF scopes are all 56 so I can work with my Big 50 and 300WM when done.
Great tip on using a computer as target. New use for my iPad or netbook.

Anyone had any luck using this and a moving object/animation on the computer screen for mover practice?

If one of these is going to happen for the 5-20 SS HD (or one already out there works for it) I'm very interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone had any luck using this and a moving object/animation on the computer screen for mover practice? </div></div>
Yes pretty easy using powerpoint. If you want a slide made up then drop me an email and I'll send you one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one of these is going to happen for the 5-20 SS HD (or one already out there works for it) I'm very interested. </div></div>

Send a PM or Email to Chuck (264Shooter). He goes by the your front butler creek cap size so I'm sure he already has some ready to go for you. Well worth the money for what you get out of it !

Nice. Any reason why you couldn't ordered this to your largest objective then build your own spacers for your smaller scopes?

I think you could do that, but it would depend on the clearance between your barrel and the objective bell.

My lens is not to finicky fore and aft, where you might run into trouble is the optical center line through the scope and my lens has to be right on or you will not get a clear picture.

Hope that helps.

I'm digging in. Have to get one.

and by the way,
Chuck now has the BC cap size info for the new SS 5-20x50HD scope.

are they able to fit on the vortex razor hd scope

Big +1 to Chuck. Quick turn around. Received one this week for my US Optics scope. Real plus to practice indoors instead of out in this TX heat.

Ah, this is great. I've been spending bit much lately, but I'll this to my must get list for august

Yes, quite easy to set up a plumb line and focus down on it and check it indoors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use one of these to align there reticle? </div></div>

Yes, I have been useing my I.O.T.A. to mount all my scopes.

I use a thread with a washer hanging as a plumb line. The thread I used had to hang for a while before it quit spinning but after that it was good.

I put the tread up in front of my white garage door for good light and contrast. It looked better with a blank back round so all I could see was the thread and the reticle.

I figure the eye relief first and mark it with a piece of tape.

Then I clamp the barrel in my vise with rubber jaw pads and put a machine level on the scope base.

The tricky part is getting your vise and rifle pointed in the right direction to see the tread.

When you get everything lined up you are ready to tighten the caps.
You can see your scope rotate as you tighten the ring caps down to much on one side or the other.

It is a little extra effort, but when you are done you will never have to wonder if your reticle is lined up plumb over the bore of your rifle.

Thanks Chuck, got mine for my NF F1 yesterday, it sure make dry firing easier when you live in the city. Thanks again.

I got mine a week or so ago and am very happy with it. Well worth the money. Thanks

Want to say thanks to Chuck. The day the money order arrived, he called and sent out the IOTA. That was a friday, I had it monday. An invaluable piece of kit, well worth the coin. Thanks.

Ok really thinking about getting one

Chuck is a great guy to deal with. I purchased one of his Indoor Optical Training Aids for my dry fire exercises.

I have had two people use crazy glue on there lens and the fumes put a haze on the lens.
Glue should not be nessesary to hold the lens in.

Thanks

I have an I.O.T.A but have not really used it much.
Oh boy will that change - I'm halfway through A Rile's Only course in California and one thing it has really taught me is the importance of dry fire practice.
It's easy to have good form when you have all the time in the world, but you need to practice to have good form on the first shot under time constraints!

I ordered an I.O.T.A.of Chuck and it is probably the most useful thing i have bought in a long time .The rifle is handled a lot more now,with my dry firing .Thanks Chuck it's a great buy.

Yep, used mine last night to align my reticle. Extremely useful tool.

Thanks Chuck

I am definitely interested in getting one of these. However, since I believe a new scope is in my future I may have to wait a little while...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had two people use crazy glue on there lens and the fumes put a haze on the lens.
Glue should not be nessesary to hold the lens in.

Thanks
</div></div>

I did this and destroyed it. Now I need a new one, anyone willing to sell me theirs. I need it to fit my 5x25x56 S&B.

Someone on here posted pic of theirs with the soft part of velcro put inside the IOTA. I did the same and it works fine. Just slip it on an off. Think I picked up the velco at Walmart.

I wish he had time to make more. I'm eagerly waiting. I made a simple aperture disk for my scope and it works to a degree. Lets me see things at a much shorter range but not sharply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah me too.</div></div>

Did you try using acetone to remove the CA glue?

get in contact with chuck, account name: 264shooter

sadly, i haven't heard back from him since october ...

Threetrees do you need to get ahold of him? He may not have Computer access trough the week.

I'd like to get a hold of him too.

I sent him an email this morning at aol but if there is a better way, what would it be?

I think he is selling something on the classifieds right now so I am sure he is around somewhere. He told me to be patient because he had to get some more special glass for the units. I will be patient!!!