• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I think I'm hooked...

GreenBlood10

Lead Farmer
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2012
Spring Grove, Pa
Last year I had a custom .300WM built along with a GAP-10G2 from G.A. Precision. After going through a few boxes of ABM ammo (@ $58/box), I decided to get into reloading. In December I started acquiring everything I would need to start reloading for the GAP-10 which is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased both the Lyman and Berger reloading manual and read it as much as I could along with most of the sticky threads here on the Hide. Today I shot my very first reloads while conducting my very first optimal charge weight (OCW) test. I was using new Hornady brass, Federal GM210M primers, H4350, and Berger 130gr AR Hybrid OTM Tactical. My equipment list and process is as follows:

Using a Forster Co-Ax single stage press I ran the Hornady brass through a Redding Type-S Full length sizing die with .287" titanium nitride bushing and carbide button
I then trimmed the brass to the shortest Hornady case in the box (1.912") using a L.E. Wilson micrometer case trimmer.
I then uniformed the primer pockets, deburred the flash holes, and chamfered/deburred the case necks.
I then cleaned out the cases with an air compressor and primed them using the priming station on the Forster press.
Using the Berger manual, I used a Redding Match Grade 3BR powder measure to drop my charges.
I weighed each charge using a Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digital scale.
Using a Redding competition seating die, I seated each bullet .010" off the lands. (Determined using a Hornady OAL gauge)

The OCW test was shot at 100 yards and conducted "round robin" style. The temperature was 70* with a headwind less than 4mph. I do not have a chrono yet so I can not give you velocities.
What do you guys think? The targets in the upper left of each cardboard were used as sighters as I didn't expect them to do very well being below book minimum. I had a lot of fun loading up these rounds and I cant wait to get back to the bench to reload them! Thanks for all the guidance you guys have given me so far on this journey.

40.2 and 41.4 as the charges either side impact at the same relative location. I'd test 40-40.4 in .1 increments.

41.4 will have the advantage of velocity but with the groupings either side of 40.2 I would think that would be more consistent. I bet the chrono numbers would back that up as well. The brass life will be better as well with less extreme pressures provided they are fast enough.

I agree though. Reloading is every bit as addictive to me as shooting is if not more so.

One last question. The Sentry adjustable gas block on the rifle was previously tuned for the Prime 130gr ammo. I have read that some people settle on a load, tune their gas block for that load and then their groups open up. I'm trying to avoid that. Should I leave it tuned as is (tuned for Prime) unless I start to see issues or tune it for my final load?