• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft IBCT Scout Platoon

pevrs114

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2005
Central VA
Gents,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I didn't see a 'general topics' so here goes.

Considering going back in the Guard. A local unit is an HHC for a battalion in an IBCT and has a scout platoon. These are honest-to-god 11B-B4 coded slots, and I've been told by members of the unit that they do send folks to school. What can I expect in a unit like this? Anybody been to the school at Camp Robinson?

I was previously a 13B but always wanted to move to an infantry unit. Got a decent handle on field craft and small unit tactics.

Interested in any and all responses...

Re: IBCT Scout Platoon

Im in the PA Guard in a HBCT. Our Scout Platoon are all 19D Cav scouts. We have a 10 man Sniper Section that are all 11B positions. We often fall in with the Scout Plt for admin purposes. If your looking at rejoining the Guard and you hold the 13B MOS you will first have to reclass to 11B which is a 2 week MOS-T course. Fort Indiantown Gap, PA offers this course at the 166th Regiment.

The IBCT and HBCT are organized the same way when it comes to the Sniper Section.

I graduated Sniper School in the fall of 2007 from Camp Robinson. Its the same POI as the Ft. Benning School. There are alot of active duty units who send their soldiers there as well.
How is your PT? How well do you qualify when you shoot the m4/m16 platform? Why do you want to join the sniper section? what makes you an asset over the next candidate? what prior experiences do you have that will be helpful to you and the team? You better know the answers to these questions because if the section is a well organized one you will find yourself going through a selection process.

I wish you well with whatever course of action you chose to pursue. Let me know if you have any other questions. good luck.

S4B,

Thanks, thats very helpful information. I knew I'd have to reclass to 11B, I'm familiar with FTIG as I've been there for all my NCOES schools. The 1SG did mention they had 19D's but knew I was specifically looking at 11B for the sniper section. He said there was a try-out, and the interview with him was part of it, I suppose. My PT has always been great (above 270) and I normally qualify expert (occasionally slipped to 35 sharpshooter, but I've also learned a lot more about shooting since then!) with the M16.

Thanks for the heads up on the interview questions. I've participated in interviews before for jobs, etc and for Soldier Boards, but knowing the types of questions they may ask will be helpful.

I appreciate the information!

Just be prepared for an assesment. Be confident and make yourself seem like an asset to this squad. Camp Rob is great, we sent 6 soldiers there after Afghanistan and all 6 came back B-4. They said the instructors were great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A local unit is an HHC for a battalion in an IBCT and has a scout platoon. These are honest-to-god 11B-B4 coded slots, and I've been told by members of the unit that they do send folks to school. What can I expect in a unit like this?</div></div>

Each state is differant, each unit is differant, but I'll give you my outlook on such units. They are great (if you're a member) they are a pain in the butt, if you are the commamder of the HHC that has one in the company.

I joined the AK NG in 1973, 38th Special Forces Company. We could get dern near any school we wanted. 90% of the Company was Vietnam Vets. Lots of Adventure Style training. That Unit was disbanned in 1877. We were then made into the Light Recon Det. HHC 207th IN, ABN. Again a lot of fun, great training. Schools, though not as veried as the SF Unit, were still rather easy to get. I rangled a slot in the USAMU's sniper school fairly easy. This is before the Army or NGs schools were started. I couldnt recommend a better unit. I was the Team Sgt, (E-7). Later (1978) I went to OCS and took over a Team Leader, kind of my own Tm Sgt to, until I hand picked one. Great choice, we made a good team.

Now comes the Pain in the Butt Part. I was made Company Commander of the HHC that had the Abn Det. I cursed them for doing the crap I did. Double Sloting, Ungodly Training Request. Having to keep people in the arms room dern near 24/7 because they had no ideal when they would draw weapons or return them. Providing them support was a night mare. It did teach me management and gave me gray hair, what I didnt pull out anyway. But I was a Brother. so I bent over backwards, bended the rules. Made up the regs. What ever it took. Those were some great days.

As far as Cpt Robinson, I didnt go to any of the schools, but I want to ever WP Wilson match from 1977 - 1991. Shooting either composite Rifle or Combat Pistol. Back then the NG Marksmanship was in Nashville. Later in my career it moved to Little Rock. I did go to Little Rock at NGBs request to write the Marksmanship Ammo Policy. Got a nice letter for that, but POed a lot of the big states.

I was there when they started the Sniper Schools at Robinson, I had been running sniper schools for the AK NG until I retired ( I was then the SARTS OIC, and ran the Marksmanship unit for the AKNG0. Even served as a MAC VI Director (Marksmanship Advisory Committee). This was about the time the Army wanted us to get out of the Composite Shooting and into straight Combat. I faught this. We, the NG sent the All Guard team to Europe to shoot in their Combat Style matches. The Army figured we should change to match NATO. When I mentioned that our All Guard, (composite team) won the matches hands down, maybe they should change to composite instead of us changing. The other directors agreed, and we voted to keep the composite. Only to get home to discover the Army overrode us, switching to combat for our matches. This was in 1990 or 91, anyway the marksmanship abilities went down hill for the NG. The good part is this is when NGB started the combat schools including the sniper schools at Robinson, which is every bit as good, if not better then the Army's school at Benning. I think the AMU school was better but thats another subject.

Anyway, my advise, join the unit, put in for every school that comes down the pike. Nag them, dont give up, if your request is turned down, put in two more. The Guard is the perfect example where the Squeaky Wheel gets the grease.

My only regret is I got out. I retired in 92, if I stayed in, I would have transfered to the WY NG when I retired from APD, they can't kick you out of the WYNG until you turn 70. I could have had several more years of shooting on Uncles Dime.

Sorry for the Rambling, just a bit of nostalgia.

I'm a Senior Sniper in an Oklahoma Guard unit and there are definitely options within the Guard to go to Sniper School. My unit has slots for Ranger, RSLC, Sniper, Pathfinder, Air Assault, Combat Tracker, Mountaineering (All phases), and of course your basic Army Combatives (Up to Level III). It depends on the state, but the opportunity is out there. First, you need to get MOSQ and get that 11B MOS! It's a hell of alot easier than going to Sand Hill from what I have heard. Do your research and ask your Recruiter to meet with a PSG in the Scout Platoon beofre you make a decision. That is your best route. Good luck and give 'er hell.

PM me. I just left the sniper section of the exact unit you are talking about 3/116 I assume? 3/116 and 2/183(recon) both have sniper slots.

I am my BN's Sniper Section SGT. When I came off active duty and joined the guard I wanted to get into the sniper section. It took me almost four years to prove myself "worthy"...even though I had more training and experience then anybody they had. My APFT scores average over 290, have never shot anything under expert on a qual and I was a combat vet. It's a click you have to win over.
Training is pretty much whatever I(or we, I'm not Hitler) want to do...and we train. You had better think of being physically fit as a lifestyle because you will be on your own all month. If not then drills will kick your ass and you will be the weak link and may get stuck back into a line unit.
I went through the school at Camp and it's a good course with great instructors. You will not be disappointed. I am also an 11B MOSQ instructor (fairly new) and the course is not very hard. If you have any questions just feel free to PM.

The instructors at Camp Rob are fucking good dudes. Excellent training. Avg. Instructor has 6~ years of time at a sniper school house (Benning+ Robinson combined) They have very current training. Very good. They dont stick to the 23-10 at all really. They give you one but dont really use it. All the classroom and practical exercises are top notch.

They will do everything they can to help you pass but in the end its on performance. Sweet School.

I had to ride my Training NCO constantly though to get him to slot me. Sometimes AGR people in the Guard are freakin lazy. I would recommend going in the Summer when you have the most Natural Veg if its your choice. I heard from an instructor one cycle they failed almost everyone cuz nobody could pass stalks in the winter with sparse veg. Most drops are from stalks and you want as much Veg as possible. Bring a suit to school pre made and made well. You dont have much time to make it there, and it has to be durable.

Its lame that such an outdated obscure sniper skill holds so much water at the school but its part of it, and everything has a standard. who knows we'll probably be in a theatre again shortly where snipers will have to start using veg again.

Oh also not a bad idea to get in shape. I jumped on my road bike and laid on about 500 miles a week the month prior to build my stamina. They have an instructor there (dont know if hes still there), who shall remain nameless, but hes about 6'7" seems like 8' though and can ruckmarch a Tibetan pack sherpa into the ground. haha I liked to stay in the front of the ruck marches and looked back once and it looked like the battan death march, weary students strung out for about a 1/4 mile hahaha Funny shit.

Good luck to you.

The 6'8" giant your referring to is no longer there from what I have heard. Also they lost 2 other instructors that were top notch. Hopefully the Camp Rob school will continue. I remember having to TROTT behind him to match his "walk in the park" pace.

Another thing, there is no longer a PT test at Sniper School. This test seemed to weed out half of the NG soldiers that went there and even some active duty guys. It's a shame too because the quality of sniper will continue to fall unless standards are brought back up but I'm guessing the unit will be responsible for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S4B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Another thing, there is no longer a PT test at Sniper School. This test seemed to weed out half of the NG soldiers that went there and even some active duty guys. It's a shame too because the quality of sniper will continue to fall unless standards are brought back up but I'm guessing the unit will be responsible for that.</div></div>

This shit pisses me the f$ck off. Why the hell are they dropping the STANDARD because some douchebags are too fricking pathetic to meet them?!

When I went through SS in 2003 we had a few guys fail the APFT but we were also gathered from patrol bases where we couldn't exactly go for runs to stay in shape. The guys that failed were allowed to go through the course to gain the knowledge but were not allowed to get the B-4 identifier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S4B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6'8" giant your referring to is no longer there from what I have heard. Also they lost 2 other instructors that were top notch. Hopefully the Camp Rob school will continue. I remember having to TROTT behind him to match his "walk in the park" pace.

Another thing, there is no longer a PT test at Sniper School. This test seemed to weed out half of the NG soldiers that went there and even some active duty guys. It's a shame too because the quality of sniper will continue to fall unless standards are brought back up but I'm guessing the unit will be responsible for that. </div></div>

Umm... Since when? Not a personal Jab but Im throwing the BS flag. Im still in contact with instructors there i'll ask and re-post. Dont know who you heard this from.

A sniper instructor got back to me. He confirmed the horrible rumor that there is no longer an APFT at either school, the robinson or benning school.

Instead there is a shooting qual precursory test done with a standard m4. And the standards for that in my opinion arent even very high.

Theres still an apft at WLC but not sniper school? Craziness. Im definitely not the type of guy that thinks you need to be shit stomped and smoked all day at a school; but you should definitely be in physical shape otherwise all the nancy's that cry and moan on ruck marches will put their fellow sniper section buddies in danger should anything ever happen fucked up, Say a hasty exfil or something.

I would haze people out if they were showing their vag on ruck marches or otherwise. If the APFT goes away then you'll have to compensate with more Lack of motivation counselings. Obviously only to the people that deserve it. But thats what the PT test is there for, cut the fat day one so you dont have to deal with them for 4 weeks. Not to mention should they slip through the cracks then they could be a detriment to the safety of thier fellow snipers. How lame.

I agree 100%.

You lower the standards and you put everything at risk. I'm not sure what needs to happen to reverse this. I think units will need to step up on who they accept into their sniper sections.

Time will tell.

The individual units need to take this step long before they get sent to either Benning or Robinson. If you can't pass the APFT with a 210 or better you should not even be considered for a slot. I would think the schools would be better served and I know it would be a better use of time(which Robinson is really pressed for) to have unit pre-quals that weed out the fatbodies and non-shooters first and then send them to the school.

I don't think sniper instructors should be in the buisness of giving APFTs and checking basic M4 qualification scores. I just think if it's not on record you qualed the last 3 times expert and have a passing score on the APFT you shouldn't be considered for a slot. The schools could set this as requirements and free up at least 2 more days for other(more important) stuff.

I don't think we should drop or lower the standard,just don't make it the schools problem with their already limited time.

That is definitely up to the individual unit NCOs. Very good point. At my unit, only those that have demonstrated a working knowledge and desire to fire the M24 (or M110) AND have a 70% or higher in all categories according to their age group on the APFT, are considered. Even then, our LT will pull a slot from someone at the last minute if he feels that it may be wasted. Definitely needs to happen more in order to allow more qualified students a chance at the school. NCOs, NCOs, NCOs...work with your joes and prepare them! That's the only way it can be done.

I leave for Phase I and Phase II (back to back) on January 8th. Graduation is February 5th. If this post is still continuing, I will give everyone a heads up on current training standards first hand if ya'll would like. I know it's a hot topic for joes and first hand is the way to get it my opinion. Also, I just got a welcome letter from the E-8 at Camp Robinson, and it stated there will be an APFT as a part of indoc on day one...could be outdated. Either way, I will let ya'll know. Wish me luck.

good luck bro.

we sent 2 guys from our BN to the school this past summer and there was no APFT. It's obvious that the unit should only send soldiers that are prepared but we all know that is rarely the case. Most soldiers you will find in the BN sniper section most likely shouldn't be there. I have witnessed this too many times. People get in under the "buddy system" too often. I fought this battle before we went to AF 2 years ago and Im still fighting to get rid of some more dead weight. Anyone can shoot the M24/M110 out to 800m pretty consistently when paired up with a good Spotter and given proper instructions. I think thats something most Snipers will agree with. Thats the easiest part of the job. What really weeds people out is the mental and physical demands of the business they will face in the real world. Afghanistan weeded out 3 members of our section. The mountains tore them up.

I wish you well with the school and all other who go too. In my opinion the Sniper is the best weapon the US Military has on today's asymmetrical battlefield. Fallujah and Ramadi, Iraq proved this. It was the sniper in both of those cities that broke the will of the insurgents.

M241047,
I work on Camp and will send you my contact info in case you need something(and anybody else going). I was gonna come assist with this class but I'm getting shoved into an 11B ALC(BNCOC) course that starts the same time..it's on Camp as well and seems to be a two week check the box course.
I thought the same thing about the APFT being removed (and the welcome letter was the old one if it has the PT test on it).They replaced the tall rucking freak of nature with another tall freak of nature. But he isn't the one to worry about on the rucks, it's a younger short billy goat rucking freak you have to worry about. The head instructor said he didn't really care if they took out the PT test because he isn't there to get you in shape...the course will weed out the slackers. I'm in pretty good shape and lost 20lbs in the course.We had three quit on day three before a ruck. Hopefully you have been rucking or your feet will be f*cked! And the new M4 qual isn't nothing to worry about if you have the fundamentals down, we had 6 fail it before we inprocessed.
The instructors are great by the way.

Good deal. Definitely have the ruckin' feet workin'. I think that's all I've really worked on since notification of the slot. I appreciate the offer and good luck at BNCOC. I will let everyone know how things go. Leave in the morning!

hey...another reason you will loose weight in the school is cause there is no freakin chow hall.....you will go to the store and buy canned food and tuna and thats all you eat until night, when you can go get a meal out in town. No BS...Campbells chunky soup worked well....also...you have to run everywhere in the course all the time....with gear...so you can tell who isnt in shape. Those who want to be there and earn the B4 will have prepared beforehand and wont let a little walk stop their goals.

One more thing and this isnt a personal attack on anyone..jsut needs to be said. There was an earlier post about how if a guy isnt in shape the LT will pull his slot. THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! sniping is an NCO and Em job. Officers should have no role with the exception of the SEO and he should just do what the section ldr says. An NCO who lets an officer determine if a guy is school worthy or not doesnt deserve to be an NCO. Training is an NCO task and if a soldier doesnt meet the standard, then the NCO failed and the soldier failed and now you look like idiots to the officer who is wondering why you suck. The LT or any officer wouldnt have to pull someones slot if those soldiers have the presonal responsibility to get the job done. enough said

Isnt possibly fighting the chinese someday going to take ALOT of men?
Training up men who volunteer for these type sought after slots ought to be an all around priority. From my outside perspective (civy) it seems like alot of time is spent trying to crystal ball who isnt worthy and who is of this or that. If these guys can get lead on target whats the problem?
Good luck at your school! hope you succeed.

for starters..you dont need alot of men to win a fight...you you need properly trained warriors. the Soviets and Communist Koreans believed in mass numbers and they didnt train thier peasants. Proper training and equipment negates the need for numbers.....

also...choosing sniper candidates isnt about who is worthy or not...its about who has shown the aptitude and motivation to do the job so the valuable training time and resources are not wasted on those who cant meet the standard. learning to be sniper is hard enough but it will become that much more difficult if you have to teach that same sniper the basics of infantry work. Land nav, communication, humping, staying in shape, and basic rifle marksmanship are all things that should be mastered before a soldier attempts to master the art of sniping. A soldier should be an expert infantryman(I dont mean EIB holder) before he even thinks about untaking a more serious endevour.

RD:
Well said I understand your points. However On the numbers versus small smart warriors /smart bombs etc. We will have to agree to disagree. Whats wrong with ALOT of smart strong well trained smart warriors? Why does it gotta be always be a small tight nit group? Seems a little job protectionist to me?
China isnt Iraq and China has alot of smart bombs and smart warriors and alot more numbers wise. I think we make mistakes by being too selective, we make these sought after slots too selective, and the communities that grow out of them too small to fight anything more than 3rd world armies. Which is where the fight is now, and I understand is appropriate.
However talk to some Korean War vets before you underestimate what numbers can do for you in a large scale fight.
Absent the political will (which we will never have) to use WMD's our current sized military would need many more bodies to take up the slots for all the dead coming home. And being too selective only leads to man power shortages. I gotta believe half the guys who wash out of all the high speed schools would in the real world of combat make fine smart warriors if the self proclaimed crystal ballers actually did things that were revelant to the missions.
My only exposure to any "indoc" training is what i see on the military channel Im a civy OK so i dont know sheat I know...., but what the fk does carrying a log over your head and sucking sand for hours on end have to do with killing the enemy efficiently?
Why not put a full pack/load out on these guys run real world mission scenarios, equip them as they would be in reality, and see how they do?
Most recruiting for a particular skill set requires figuring out who can do the job effectively right, so have them do the job in training then you will actually see who has a likelyhood of real world success.
Bottom line to my theory is we as a Country are losing out on many guys who volunteer for these high speed jobs by being too selective.

Carring a log over your head and sucking sand for hours separates the ones who have the drive from the ones who want the patch.

It also shows who will be able to reach down and grab their sack and drive on, once they're out on the 'real world mission scenario, equipped as they would be in reality' with 100lb rucksacks and the helo is delayed and they have to move 10 extra kilometers to meet it, all the while carrying two wounded and THEIR 100lb packs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pevrs114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carring a log over your head and sucking sand for hours separates the ones who have the drive from the ones who want the patch.

It also shows who will be able to reach down and grab their sack and drive on, once they're out on the 'real world mission scenario, equipped as they would be in reality' with 100lb rucksacks and the helo is delayed and they have to move 10 extra kilometers to meet it, all the while carrying two wounded and THEIR 100lb packs. </div></div>

Great points, why not have indocs do what you just said instead of wash candidates out over log carrying injuries,.Go put a full pack on em, have em delayed and have to move long distances to catch a helo, thats the mission related stuff I referred to.
If you wanna know can they do it?? then have them do it and stop wasting time with the log games and getting all sandy and all the non-mission related stuff.
Wanna know if they can they handle a tuff mission. Set one up and have at it, thats the REAL answer, if you wash em out over physical games where there are no consequences except personal failure, as I said you may be losing guys who have the right stuff,
No doubt the guys who make it thru traditional indocs got the right stuff to make it physically , but I believe we are losing more warriors by not being mission specific in training.
For example If you want a terp in FARSI you give him a FARSI test right? So if you want to build an operator , how about testing him with what he will be doing physically, and mentally? I guarntee you he will never be carrying logs and putting as much sand as possible into his uniform then rolling over and over in it. Seems very Fraternity indoc like to me.

Yep, pevrs has it right. All the seemingly stupid crap you do in training (or garrison) translates into something you might do in combat.
That's what I tell the younger guys when they say "This is stupid, why the hell are we doing this?!".

I don't know if "all the seemingly stupid crap you do in garrison translates into something you might do in combat"...but there is definitely a place for "carrying a log over your head and sucking sand for hours" I used to do pt with logs and water jugs and all kids of other team or squad competition type of training and this builds teamwork and teaches joes that they are capable of much more than they thought they were. Infantry soldiers are not going to sit in the chow tent and hand out potato chips, they are going to fight and in my opinion they need to be tested before they are given the opportunity to due so. It also separates the shit heads from those who are actually going to fight when the going gets tough. I also agree 100% that it should be the line NCOs who are responsible and ultimately held accountable for the soldiers selected for any kind of training whether it be Sniper School, Ranger, or whatever the case may be. I agree there is something to be said for strength in numbers, but without proficiency numbers mean nothing. Just my take.

Steve

It's impossible to get it 100% in a training environment. Translating the physical and mental punishment of a combat zone is different than just humping an extra 10km. In order to make sure you have the guys with the nuts to stick it out when times are the absolute toughest you put them through hell, it doesn't "look" like mission specific but it puts them in the emotional and physical states that they could be under, that is the purpose.

If you plan on going to sniper school you need to make sure your in shape, I hate seeing the joes who cant even do a 4 mile road march, make sure you have had the proper training on basic rifle marksmanship, It would be nice to have someone show up without any prior training because thats what we are here for, Most joes show up with the wrong training and usually go to G3 on all the events, Not to take anything away from the NCO's that do the training for them, but if you dont know how to run an exercise, then there is no reason to try. Best of luck Bro's and I will be awaiting your arrival.

Woodspider, physically abusive training has its place: It's important to train very young soldiers to know that in combat, when the wall was hit long ago, autopilot has set in, and the mind takes over, then the body is capable of much more physically than they ever considered possible. Soldiers in basic training, in an ideal world, should be properly led to explore their own limitations in order to integrate the understanding that if absolutely necessary the mind can run the body to the point of death.

Unfortunately, this type of training takes a serious and permanent physical toll on a person. And it also conditions what is left of the individual soldier to suck it up rather than to honestly evaluate his own physical condition and fight smarter. That's why the military specialty teams almost kill each other to lose long distance adventure races while the civilian teams, who communicate more and are more honest with each other about their injuries, consistently win.

PT is often used, absent any other well thought-out system, as a tool with which to evaluate a soldier's character. Unfortunately, it is often also abused by mediocre instructors as a substitute for the ability and willingness to properly train the students in the mechanics of what they need to know.

The instructors I have met, with a few exceptions, have been hard-charging knowledgeable folk who would do anything possible to help their students learn everything they know. But good instructors are often limited by the wide variety of cadre that the system pushes on them. The key is not more or fewer students, but to get the proper students to them - proper in fitness and character - so that what should be a sniper course doesn't have to be a refresher of basic training.

This kinda reminds me of the quote in The Karate Kid when Daniel-san saw the picture of some Cobra-Kai chopping a log in half with his hand. He asked Mr. Miyagi if he could do that too, to which Mr. Miyagi replied, "<span style="font-style: italic">Don't know...never been attacked by tree.</span>".

My STA indoc we did not do log PT. It was more mission related and grueling endurance type stuff. PFT, O-course x2, 10 mile ruck/gear/rifle run around base, through swamps all while intermittently being harassed and doing weird PT etc. Then it was a land nav test, w/o compass, 10-digit grid points in a time limit. Then a written test on basic infantry skills.

The ruck run thinned the herd quite fast!

Made it through. Well about a month ago I had posted that I was leaving for School and would report back any information that I could. I graduated and it was a great school. Information covered was a good spectrum of everything that you can think of concerning the art of sniping. The cadre are really good and I think the format of the school itself adds to its success and effectiveness. The environment isn't so formal that you find Joe so scared, that he doesn't want to ask questions. There is an unmistakable rank structure, however, the students are given the freedom to address any topic in an informal matter. Really a great school and cadre all around. Thanks for the experience guys! Feel free to PM me with any questions on topics covered or things that one may need to work on to be successful. Good luck.