• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ideal throat length for 223 bolt gun

ashiha

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Arizona
I got a new R700 in 223 that ended up having too tight of a throat likely due to a worn out reamer used when manufactured. Remington offered to take it back and recut it themselves, but that would mean ~5 weeks without the rifle and the end result would be having too big of a throat. A local gunsmith offered to do it for $50 and asked me to bring my own ammo. I assume this is because he will cut it to that ammo's ogive length. So what would you guys suggest would be a good length to cut to?

What twist is bbl?
What ammo / bullet do you plan to shoot?

Throat is too tight or freebore is too short?

What twist is bbl?
What ammo / bullet do you plan to shoot?

Throat is too tight or freebore is too short?

16.5" 1-9" 69gr SMK H4895 (probably won't be going for max velocity, but it would be nice if it were still on the table as an option)

To be honest, I'm not sure. My guess is the freebore is too short. The lands when measured by lightly placing a bullet into the barrel then measuring to crown and doing the same with a loaded round were about 2.1745" OAL which is obviously too short. I don't currently have a comparator to get some ogive measurements. The bolt has trouble closing on even the 55gr Walmart Federal FMJ ammo which I measured at 2.194" OAL.

Ideal throat length for 223 bolt gun

I just bought a 7 mm mag that had I thought the same problem, it wouldn't chamber factory ammo, after pushing the shoulder back on a test case I found it was in the head space, check that first, use a Unloaded FL sized case and check that , to see if the bolt will close on the brass, or ask the gunsmith to check the head space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16.5" 1-9" 69gr SMK H4895 (probably won't be going for max velocity, but it would be nice if it were still on the table as an option)

To be honest, I'm not sure. My guess is the freebore is too short. The lands when measured by lightly placing a bullet into the barrel then measuring to crown and doing the same with a loaded round were about 2.1745" OAL which is obviously too short. I don't currently have a comparator to get some ogive measurements. The bolt has trouble closing on even the 55gr Walmart Federal FMJ ammo which I measured at 2.194" OAL.

I agree with sjett, check head space just to confirm that is correct.
Might be worth getting a chamber cast so you can get measurements on lead diameter and length.

0.025" freebore dimension in CLE Match chamber works really well w/69s in AR. Bolt gun you might want slightly longer freebore but probably not over 0.040". Take smith a dummy round and he can adjust to fit.

I agree with sjett, check head space just to confirm that is correct.
Might be worth getting a chamber cast so you can get measurements on lead diameter and length.

0.025" freebore dimension in CLE Match chamber works really well w/69s in AR. Bolt gun you might want slightly longer freebore but probably not over 0.040". Take smith a dummy round and he can adjust to fit.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm just hoping to get an ideal spec on a round to make for him to adjust to.