• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Idiot or miss something (trigger install) UPDATE

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
I am trying to install an older rem factory trigger in an SPS tactical. X-Mark trigger came out fine.....

When I go to put the rear pin in it is taking WAY to much force. I got it done, but now the bolt takes WAY to much force to close. Again, I got it done, but trigger wouldn't fire anyway. Pulled bolt back out, removed trigger and am now staring at the pile of parts trying to figure what I am not doing right....

Re: Idiot or just missing something (trigger install)

Do you have the sear spring in the correct position? And you can't use the sear spring from the X-Mark trigger with the old trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wondering if I flipped the sear springs while they were out.....I will double check </div></div>

The sear spring has to fit down inside the hole in the trigger. If not you have the wrong spring.

There are no parts of the X-Mark that will work with the old style trigger.

got right spring....its in the hole.....

It does seem like the problem is somewhere with the spring and sear. It feels like the sear is "in the way" of the rear pin too much and its all being forced together. I know the rear pin is supposed to ride over the sear, but it seems like their is too much upward pressure....if that makes sense. There was also no movement of the sear when I did have it all together.....

does it matter which way the pins go in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got right spring....its in the hole.....

It does seem like the problem is somewhere with the spring and sear. It feels like the sear is "in the way" of the rear pin too much and its all being forced together. I know the rear pin is supposed to ride over the sear, but it seems like their is too much upward pressure....if that makes sense. There was also no movement of the sear when I did have it all together.....

does it matter which way the pins go in? </div></div>

No makes really no difference. Are you sure you have the correct spring and sear?

If all the parts are correct try this, take the sear spring out and install the trigger. Now see if the sear has movement. If so then I would say the spring is the issue and is most likely not correct for some reason.

well...............maybe this is the idiot part
blush.gif
: Are you supposed to take the safety off first????

I tried it all over again....same results. I tried then what Randy suggested and same results....it wasn't the spring.

So then......I noticed that it didn't even look right. So I tried it with the safety in the fire position.....working the pin in from the left side. Worked. Of course, I couldn't get the bolt release stuff to line up working from that side, and I couldn't get at the pin from the right side with the safety lever in the fire position.

So......I took the safety off, ran the pin in from the left....all the way nearly flush, then worked pin back towards the left from the right side to catch the bolt release stuff.....then put the safety back on.

So.........does all this sound ok?? Trigger functions well. Safety works, bolt release works. I am going to go tune it right now.

Let me know if any of this raises any red flags guys...please!

You went a round about way to get there but as long as it works your should be good to go.

It shouldn't have matter about the safety one way or another, only matters to put the rifle on safe to take the rear trigger pin out. There should be no reason to take the safety out of the trigger to install the trigger in the receiver, but if it worked for you that's all that counts.

The pins go in from left to right (on a right hand rifle) Not sure why you were having trouble getting the bolt stop and spring lined up with the pin but if you haven't done it a lot it does seem like it takes three hand.

Do a function check and butt drop test and you should be good to go.

I know the exact problem you are having because I had the same thing go on with a customers rifle not less than a month ago, so pay attention.

as the pin is being inserted it goes thru the action body, enters one side of the trigger housing, then rides over the sear lever, once again thru the trigger housing hole, and then completes it's ride by entering the reciever body again.

I've noticed on a few triggers for some reason the trigger housing holes are a little tight and as you pound the shit out of that little pin to get it to go thru you actually push, or pinch the trigger housing together. This in turn makes the cocking piece of the bolt bind as it is closed. It is binding between the trigger housin right where the pin goes thru as the pin has pushed and held the housing together.

Prove it ....... take the firing pin out of the bolt and run the bolt back in the action closes fine. leave the firing pin in and remove the trigger everything works fine again. It is the relationship of those two with the pinched housing that causes grief. Force the bolt closed and it wont fire cause it is being pinched that damm hard.

So to fix it; instal the damm thing and then spread the trigger housing back apart where the pin is forcing it together from the friction with the housing holes, take a small punch and tap the housing right next to the pin forcing them to spread back wide to allow the cocking piece travel. All you guys file this away in you brain some where it will save you some grief someday.

age, experience, and good looks. Shit I only got 2 of the 3 and I'll give up the age.