• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk If you DQ yourself, how do you claim to have won? Asking for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a statement from the PRS leadership which took ownership on Monday.

The MD and RO did the right thing and made the best determination possible with information aviliable.

Officiating, reviews, and arbitration ends at the completion of competition. Just like every other sport. Period.

The PRS will not set a precedence that encourages this type of shady behavior. The video was purposefully withheld to cause this exact thread. You all took the bait. If the video maker or owners truly cared it would have been made available when the MD asked.

There was no attempt by anyone to cover anything up. Things were handled respectfully and appropriately during the match and additional fact finding continued late into Monday once the 2nd video surfaced. Nothing was neither hidden or publicized as there was no change to the results.

A important and concerning safety call was missed despite the best efforts of many involved, it happens in every sport almost every day.

The way ahead:
Rule updates have been made to cover these recent events in efforts to avoid a repeat and increase standards of safety at matches.

The rifle was dropped no? Is there a written rule that says if you drop your rifle that’s a dq? If there isn’t then no harm no foul. If there is a written rule then of course people should be upset and the backlash warranted. Could you imagine the backlash if Ben Stoeger dropped his pistol at nationals and no one called him out on it because he’s Ben Stoeger? So to come here and call people names is just a deflection and further makes a mockery of the PRS. If the PRS wants to be a respectable organization, then they should have clear cut rules and enforce them. As Frank has said “perception is reality” and this is not a good perception to have. Safety should be the top priority of any match. Also if that would have been me that dropped the rifle would a nobody like me get a slide too?

I was staying with both ROs the entire weekend and was there when they provided the MD the details of the situation. They do not know the shooter personally so they are not covering up anything for anyone. Doubt anyone else is either and instead, the decision was made with the information provided.

So in essence, you're part of the cool guy club looking out for your mate, smashing. That doesn't stop the reality that the video shows the facts. Truth is truth, name calling or not.

Very cute sweetheart. Yes, definitely part of the cool guy club, its a stellar crew. You can observe us anytime from the cheap seats if you so choose. We aren't an exclusive club, we just hate whiney bitches. Glad to see your the type to watch a video and immediately pass judgement on all actions post incident. Also elated that even from the cheap seats you know all the facts especially with regard to the specific actions of the MD and the Series director behind the scenes.....but wait, didn't you say in a previous post that all your information was 3rd hand?.....that my man, is the very definition of gossip. Once again, proving the point of my first post. Smooches.

The PRS will not set a precedence that encourages this type of shady behavior. The video was purposefully withheld to cause this exact thread. You all took the bait. If the video maker or owners truly cared it would have been made available when the MD asked.
So evidence doesn't matter after the match? Serious question sir.

*which brings up the point that maybe said videographer was unsure of the repercussions from the mates of the shooter, like the man replying to my previous thread.

Last edited:
Very cute sweetheart. Yes, definitely part of the cool guy club, its a stellar crew. You can observe us anytime from the cheap seats if you so choose. We aren't an exclusive club, we just hate whiney bitches. Glad to see your the type to watch a video and immediately pass judgement on all actions post incident. Also elated that even from the cheap seats you know all the facts especially with regard to the specific actions of the MD and the Series director behind the scenes.....but wait, didn't you say in a previous post that all your information was 3rd hand?.....that my man, is the very definition of gossip. Once again, proving the point of my first post. Smooches.
Touche', I know when I've been bested.

I’m sorry you don’t feel the PRS is not a respectable orgazation. Thousands of shooters, MDs, and numerous sponsors do. Hopefully you can respect that I’m here to provide the correct information.

There is no rule in the 2018 PRS rule book about dropping firearms. There is now for the 2019 season. It is inline with other shooting sports. The rule book was followed by the MD at the time of the infraction and with the best information aviliable at time.

In our little, unimportant neck of the woods, that would have been a match DQ at the least. Sorry, but that's what it was, like it or not. If little ol' me, Mr. Nobody, were to do that on a stage, I would be Dq'ed without hesitation. I would absolutely agree to that and leave the match, feeling quite chagrined and do my best to never do that ever again.

How do you think it would have played out if it were you? (Rhetorical question for those in the audience)

Your woods are no less important, nor smaller, than anyone else's. ??

Reactions: S.Kay
I go back to one of my earlier posts

1) Is there a standard? Yes. I'm inclined to believe Shannon that there, at the time was a standard for 2018 and it has now been updated for 2019.

2) Was/is the standard being followed? Again, I'm inclined to believe Shannon when he says that the 2018 standard was met at the time. Time will tell as the 2019 season unfolds.

3) Is the standard applied equally to everyone? I've seen incidents in the past that make me question that and not just in the PRS. It's something that plagues our sport and it needs to be weeded out. Mistakes happen, my local series has had a few. They get addressed and a solution is figured out.

However, 2019 is a new season, with what appears to be an updated rule book and under a new management in regards to the PRS specifically. Other series' will have changes as well.

I've attended the GAP Grind the last two years and have spoken briefly with Shannon at both. I can tell you that Shannon takes safety very seriously and that if nothing else he will take this whole thing, learn a lesson from it and apply solutions based on those lessons.

So evidence doesn't matter after the match? Serious question sir.

The rule book clearly outlines arbitration periods at matches. It was followed. The MD sought the information during the match. It was unethically withheld. I searched many sports for a precedent to change the results after the outcome has been determined. I found none, except for cheating. That doesn’t fit this incident.

You used the word “evidence” like the shooter was in fact cheating. That’s is disappointing. He made a mistake that was misjudged by real human beings that gave their time to the sport and those shooters. I would hope some understanding toward a difficult situation would be afforded. But unfortunately there many agendas that I can not control.

Last edited:

I’m sorry you don’t feel the PRS is not a respectable orgazation. Thousands of shooters, MDs, and numerous sponsors do. Hopefully you can respect that I’m here to provide the correct information.

There is no rule in the 2018 PRS rule book about dropping firearms. There is now for the 2019 season. It is inline with other shooting sports. The rule book was followed by the MD at the time of the infraction and with the best information aviliable at time.
My bad I didn’t mean to imply that the PRS isn’t respectable. I should have said continue to be respectable. As I said at the beginning of my post if there’s no written rule then no harm no foul. You can’t make rules on the spot. If there’s no rule then there’s nothing to enforce. I’m glad that there is now going to be a rule in place. Again I apologize for misspeaking.

Reactions: S.Kay and Bull81
I was staying with both ROs the entire weekend and was there when they provided the MD the details of the situation. They do not know the shooter personally so they are not covering up anything for anyone. Doubt anyone else is either and instead, the decision was made with the information provided.
I was also staying with both RO's from that stage. I can back up what @shotdown is saying. Neither one of them knows the shooter in question personally. Neither one of them is part of any shooting team. Neither one of them have any ulterior motives or were trying to cover for certain individuals. To entertain this thought and spread it makes you look like an uninformed ignorant troglodyte. Secondly, in agreeance with @SikesB, some people in this thread are acting like petulant children. Acting under the mindset and notion that people are infallible and incapable of making mistakes, but when there is a mistake, lets sure as shit twist all the facts and act like you were standing right there at the moment of the incident. Changes are being made for 2019. The problem was identified. Solutions are being implemented. But some of you will not be appeased by this until the town square has a head piked on a staff with a DUNCE sign hanging under it. I am sorry, for that probably isn't going to happen. I am sorry that you will not see the PRS implode like a collapsing supernova or black hole. I am sorry that you will have to observe an organization within this shooting sport continue to operate. I am sorry that some of you will use any mistake or any grievance, even so minor as the use of tripods, to critique what is going on. I am most sorry that some don't even compete in a match or show up to help RO. It's sad that you can volunteer your time to blast a situation that you were not even close to, but cannot volunteer to make the Sport better.

I guess I can continue to make satire posts on my own FB page, poking fun at things to bring levity and comic relief because some people are taking this WAY too serious. Flipside: hopefully the changes will address safety, random velocity checks for open Div., Full Velocity checks for Tac, and rifle/scope checks for production. Hopefully, the new administration can move forward with support and implement checks and measures to develop a better set of rules and enforce them. I have optimism that this will happen. Unless your paycheck depends on PRS results, then all you have invested into this is emotion. If it is not putting money in your wallet, keeping the lights on, and paying the bills, then you are overly invested into this.

Lastly,

NO ONE OWNS Precision Rifle. No one has a patent, trademark, or registration on it. So no one can dictate how others should shoot, operate their own organizations, or separate non-affiliated matches. If you don't like this org, series, or league; then don't shoot in it. There will be someone else to replace you. You are a customer. And you are not always right and you are replaceable. For one person that says they are not shooting in a certain league/series in 2019, there are others that will. Same goes for certain matches.

F.I.S.O.

- Hey

Mr Sikes were you there?

Sure was, front & center. Was not only witness to the "incident" but also am well aware, first hand of many of the actions taken post "incident" by multiple parties involved.
Perfect so did his rifle muzzle break the 180?

Gentlemen,

My email addresse is [email protected]

If you have some input feel free to get in contact with me. Though you might disagree with the outcome here. It was best for the shooter and sport in long run.

Either way it was difficult, with no clear ethical method to resolve. Hate that it happened for all involved and would hope that more respect was given to the process. Assuming the worse in others is somewhat natural, but it is often fixed when you have all the information or even better with communication. Please try that oppose to threads like this.

I have gotten some solid feedback from frank and the insight about RO imitation etc. it will shape the future in 2019. Rules will be put in place and we will get a little bit better everyday.

Some of the attitudes and threads like this only harm efforts to improve. Let us address your concerns and help us by being a vehicle for change. But let’s do it the right way. It you can’t help yourself and just have to create public drama with scewed information please strongly reconsider your association with us this year. We love to have all, but sportsmanship and a reduction of online drama are going to be a focus area for the leadership. So please get with me first and let’s work together. If you try that, I bet we reduce this by 90%!

Good night and see ya on the firing line. Shannon

Perfect so did his rifle muzzle break the 180?
When you see the slow version of the video it appears 180 could have been broken but the Rule book covers flagging in this way.

1.4.1 First offense flagging will result in a warning. Second offense will result in a stage DQ. Third offense will result in a removal of the offending shooter from the competition.

After the Match Director talked to the squad and watched the video from behind the shooter, the shooter was given a warning. Rules were actually adheared to by the RO and MD in this case. I keep reading where guys are saying “In USPSA, In IDPA etc etc”. Well this isn’t any of those and the PRS is looking into a couple small tweaks to the rules to cover loss of control now.

Everyone in here bashing on a fellow shooter or a series without any actual knowledge of the event it pretty low.

Get out and shoot guys, breath in some fresh air! Some of you guys need it!

When you see the slow version of the video it appears 180 could have been broken but the Rule book covers flagging in this way.

1.4.1 First offense flagging will result in a warning. Second offense will result in a stage DQ. Third offense will result in a removal of the offending shooter from the competition.

After the Match Director talked to the squad and watched the video from behind the shooter, the shooter was given a warning. Rules were actually adheared to by the RO and MD in this case. I keep reading where guys are saying “In USPSA, In IDPA etc etc”. Well this isn’t any of those and the PRS is looking into a couple small tweaks to the rules to cover loss of control now.

Everyone in here bashing on a fellow shooter or a series without any actual knowledge of the event it pretty low.

Get out and shoot guys, breath in some fresh air! Some of you guys need it!

I can only see the 2019 rule book on the PRS website, so I'm not sure if this is a new rule or not. But rule 1.3.4 says "the 120 degree rule must be adhered to at all times," and 1.4.4 says "First offense of violating the 120 degree rule will result in a stage DQ."

So flagging means pointing the rifle in an unsafe direction, which to me is a rule intended to cover individuals that are not actively shooting a stage. The 120 degree rule appears to cover an individual that IS actively shooting a stage. So in the case that's being discussed here I'm unsure why dropping the rifle is being considered flagging and not a 120 degree violation.

I'm not trying to debate or stir the pot here, more looking for clarification. If the above noted rules are new for 2019 and not applicable to the 2018 Finale then it would make more sense with the decisions that were made.

I have never shot a PRS match but have done my fair share of IDPA. You break the 180 and it’s a DQ. Seen Jerry Miculek get DQ for that and an AD. Not once did he complain safety is paramount in our sport.
Dropping a firearm is also an instant match DQ, in IDPA, USPSA, and IPSC.

How this is debatable in PRS is beyond my understanding.

Although possibly hard to implement, the sport could benefit from some sort of minimum trigger weight
Hard to implement? LOL

Every CMP Excellence In Competition rifle match in the country tests the trigger pull weight of every competitor's rifle before the start of the match using a set of weights made for the purpose.

It's not rocket science

Reactions: b6graham
Guys/Gals, the match was last weekend. It has been addressed as stated above. Lessons learned and solutions are being put in place in 2019.

Also, note that most ROs are new shooter and are trying to understand the sport. Others disciplines have the luxury to have enough ROs volunteer and they have to get qualified to do so. The PRS does not have that luxury because most people don’t want to RO.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I can only see the 2019 rule book on the PRS website, so I'm not sure if this is a new rule or not. But rule 1.3.4 says "the 120 degree rule must be adhered to at all times," and 1.4.4 says "First offense of violating the 120 degree rule will result in a stage DQ."

So flagging means pointing the rifle in an unsafe direction, which to me is a rule intended to cover individuals that are not actively shooting a stage. The 120 degree rule appears to cover an individual that IS actively shooting a stage. So in the case that's being discussed here I'm unsure why dropping the rifle is being considered flagging and not a 120 degree violation.

I'm not trying to debate or stir the pot here, more looking for clarification. If the above noted rules are new for 2019 and not applicable to the 2018 Finale then it would make more sense with the decisions that were made.

the rules were updated yesterday im pretty sure...those changes were added because of what happened at the finale

Hard to implement? LOL

Every CMP Excellence In Competition rifle match in the country tests the trigger pull weight of every competitor's rifle before the start of the match using a set of weights made for the purpose.

It's not rocket science

youd have to randomly test people throughout the match...it doesnt take long to swap a trigger hanger out

if the right people have a chance to cheat, they will...sucks, but it is what it is

Reactions: Holliday

120 degrees. better not shoot at Thunder Valley then haha

dropping rifle not being an AUTO dq is beyond me though

morgan. just like chrono tests in other shooting sports?

Guys/Gals, the match was last weekend. It has been addressed as stated above. Lessons learned and solutions are being put in place in 2019.

Agreed, and well put.

Also, note that most ROs are new shooter and are trying to understand the sport. Others disciplines have the luxury to have enough ROs volunteer and they have to get qualified to do so. The PRS does not have that luxury because most people don’t want to RO.

This is an excellent point, and something I'm a little embarrassed to say I hadn't thought of.

120 degrees. better not shoot at Thunder Valley then haha

dropping rifle not being an AUTO dq is beyond me though

morgan. just like chrono tests in other shooting sports?

yea, whatever other sports do...it would have to be random and during the COF...if its prior guys will just drop an action out, swap a heavy trigger, then switch it back...we've already had guys using erasable ink pens in similar events and changing scores lol

youd have to randomly test people throughout the match...it doesnt take long to swap a trigger hanger out

if the right people have a chance to cheat, they will...sucks, but it is what it is
How many stages does a typical match have? If people will cheat that way, then have a check weight with every RO. The check itself takes a few seconds. Basically cock the rifle, hold it muzzle up, use the trigger blade to pick up the weights by the rod.

1544198440466.png

Interesting discussion but does minimum trigger weight really do anything? Having worked on and tested my own triggers I’ve seen variations in design and subsequent safety. Some of my guns have pretriggers that stop firing the weapon even if the main trigger is tripped by shock. Others do not.

Furthermore a focus on proper safety protocols in my opinion is a better method. Proper trigger , muzzle and bolt displine will midgate a ND. Also trying to catch a falling weapon mid-fall is likely to cause a discharge irrespective of the trigger weight.

Safety is a worthy discussion that should be encouraged, and on ongoing.

I don't disagree with what you say. My whole point was to show that checking trigger weights, if a weight minimum is imposed for whatever reason, is not difficult to do.

Reactions: Holliday
How many stages does a typical match have? If people will cheat that way, then have a check weight with every RO. The check itself takes a few seconds. Basically cock the rifle, hold it muzzle up, use the trigger blade to pick up the weights by the rod.

View attachment 6982186
yup. same with chrono. labradar or magneto at a few random stages. easy enough to have one person randomly pull shooters.

the drop test is easy to do too

View attachment 6982186

yea something like that would probably annoy everyone but it would work...whatever it is, just needs to be random

i dont think its a trigger issue tho...i ran a 2 stage AI trigger for ~2 yrs set around 2 lbs (still shoot it often)...this whole year i ran a huber 2 stage set at 1.5 lbs in an impact

the week of the finale i dropped a triggertech diamond in that was set at 6 oz (that passed multiple drop tests) just to try it...it was a non issue because my finger doesnt start to engage the trigger until my sights are on target

many of the finale stages were FAST...5 positions and multiple targets...one was 10 positions...all in 90 seconds...when guys start trying to go that fast, shit can get sideways quick

hell, i think i timed out on 6 or 7 stages at the finale with 1-2 shots left

View attachment 6982186

I bet the rod itself weighs more than the 2oz some guys' triggers are set at...

I'v seen bigger misses with intended shots in IDPA/USPSA and 3 gun than 99% of the NDs I've seen with a bolt gun. I'm not sure trigger weight is that critical to the safety of the sport. Most of the year our stage times where 2 minutes. The finale was 90 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but with the same complexity of the stages it is easy to feel rushed. I'm not sure how many ND we had as a sport for the season. One is probably too much considering the density of our shooting population. I've never heard of 4 in one event before especially with seasoned shooters. I think the pre-shot control measures that we have in place (the cliff notes are be on target before you close your bolt) are a way more significant safety measure than coming up with a minimum trigger pull weight. It was mentioned earlier that just about all of the other shooting sports have shooters that are involved with the match R/O the event. The R/Os are trained and responsible individuals accountable to the MD and the series. Until we figure out how to involve shooters at this level without the false perception that there will be cheating/gaming/unfairness we are going to have many of the same problems we encountered this weekend. I think the move to this system is inevitable, it may be ugly for a few months, but it will take care of a few things that need to be address. Folks that are shady will get noticed, safety will get better, we will earn to police our own and it will free up folks that R/O to shoot. I would gladly trade a free match slot to someone that would R/O.

I'v seen bigger misses with intended shots in IDPA/USPSA and 3 gun than 99% of the NDs I've seen with a bolt gun. I'm not sure trigger weight is that critical to the safety of the sport. Most of the year our stage times where 2 minutes. The finale was 90 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but with the same complexity of the stages it is easy to feel rushed. I'm not sure how many ND we had as a sport for the season. One is probably too much considering the density of our shooting population. I've never heard of 4 in one event before especially with seasoned shooters. I think the pre-shot control measures that we have in place (the cliff notes are be on target before you close your bolt) are a way more significant safety measure than coming up with a minimum trigger pull weight. It was mentioned earlier that just about all of the other shooting sports have shooters that are involved with the match R/O the event. The R/Os are trained and responsible individuals accountable to the MD and the series. Until we figure out how to involve shooters at this level without the false perception that there will be cheating/gaming/unfairness we are going to have many of the same problems we encountered this weekend. I think the move to this system is inevitable, it may be ugly for a few months, but it will take care of a few things that need to be address. Folks that are shady will get noticed, safety will get better, we will earn to police our own and it will free up folks that R/O to shoot. I would gladly trade a free match slot to someone that would R/O.
Should dropping a loaded rifle be a DQ? How about dropping an unloaded one?

Because doing either will get you DQ'd in just about every other shooting sport there is.

The trigger weight is a sideshow. The real issue is that there's no (or there wasn't) a rule to DQ anyone who drops a firearm regardless of whether it's loaded or not, regardless of where it happens.

Is there a resource where I can read standard guidelines or rules or best practices? Are they match or series specific? Aside of standard firearms safety.

First match soon and I just wanted to reassure myself that I don’t miss anything...

Thanks.

Because doing either will get you DQ'd in just about every other shooting sport there is.

The trigger weight is a sideshow. The real issue is that there's no (or there wasn't) a rule to DQ anyone who drops a firearm regardless of whether it's loaded or not, regardless of where it happens.
agreed I think dropping and losing control of the rifle is one thing dropping and maintaining control not breaking the 120 rule is another. I dropped my rifle off of a tank trap this year, muzzle down in the dirt, hands still on the rifle, muzzle still down range. I'm sure this happens quiet a bit IMHO not even worth mentioning

Here are the PRS rule books for last year (in effect during the finale) and the updated rule book that just got published for 2019.

Attachments

• prs_rules 2018.pdf
    769.1 KB · Views: 91
  • prs_rules 2019.pdf
    682.2 KB · Views: 128

there hasnt been a standard...

a barret guy THREW is rifle through a culvert at the Brawl one year to show it could handle it

ive seen jacob toss his rifle from 1 level to the next on the mouse trap then climb up after it

both cases these rifles were mag out, bolt back (because thats RO policy on movement), but dropping or losing control of a rifle is handled differently, different places you go

agreed I think dropping and losing control of the rifle is one thing dropping and maintaining control not breaking the 120 rule is another. I dropped my rifle off of a tank trap this year, muzzle down in the dirt, hands still on the rifle, muzzle still down range. I'm sure this happens quiet a bit IMHO not even worth mentioning
Losing control of and then catching a handgun before it hits the ground is also another automatic match DQ in all pistol sports.

You guys have a lot to learn if you think shit like that is "not even worth mentioning".

Losing control of and then catching a handgun before it hits the ground is also another automatic match DQ in all pistol sports.

You guys have a lot to learn if you think shit like that is "not even worth mentioning".
Do you shoot precision rifle or ever been to a rifle match at all? Pistol and rifle are two wildly different weapons systems

Status
Not open for further replies.