• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon, HELP!

Genius.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2012
West Michigan
Well, I was asked if I wanted to run the Marine Corps Marathon on Monday. I gave it some thought and did some looking into it and decided yesterday to take the plunge.
I have been wanting to start running for some time, but I have never had a goal to strive for, until now.

I will be running in honor of my best friend who was KIA on July 29 2012. I will be running to support The MARSOC Foundation and will be running with Miles for MARSOC.
https://marsocfoundation.org/

Here is the kick, I'm not much of a runner. I am on a 30 week training scedual that I started last night. I just got fitted for running shoes, I know that's one of the first things that is reccomended. I need help.

Any of you runners, could I have some pointers? Any good resources out there for nutrition, stretches ect?

Thanks for the help.

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/ross-brink-forjunior/2013-marine-corps-marathon

Gunny,

Congratulations! I love that race. Three time participant of that marathon and I managed the start / finish line activities when I was stationed at Quantico way back in 1998 and 1999. One of the best, if not THE best, organized and supported races in my opinion. Also a nice, fast, FLAT course. Perfect for a first race or qualifier.

Sounds like you have a good start. Being fit for the proper shoes prevents a LOT of injuries right off the bat. A lot of specialty running stores have clinics for running form. It's worth going. Like any sport, proper form makes a big difference in performance. You'd be surprised how much energy you waste / burn by running with poor form. Also, proper form reduces the risk of chronic injuries. Newton sponsors some of them, and the link below has a synopsis on proper form and listing of the clinics.

Find Better Natural Running Form with Newton Running Shoes

Those same stores usually have groups (like Team in Training) who can help motivate you and give you good advice on training routines.

Good luck, and let us know how you do on race day!

Last edited:
Read and study anything written by John Bingham and Hal Higdon, Matt Fitzgerald. That will get you started. Learn how to clean up your diet. Learn how to be humble. Google every thing running and you will find everything you want to know. Once you get going Im open to any question that you have about running.

Run Happy!

Mr. O.

Last edited:
Injury is the enemy. If you don't already, learn to LOVE stretching as down time.

Good luck

Take your easy runs easy and slowly build your weekly mileage up to avoid injuries. After 6 weeks find you a local 5k or 10k for a test run to see where your fitness is. That should help you target the proper pace for your training runs. My easy long runs were 2-2:30 mins slower than my race times when I was building my mileage up for my marathon.

The point of the first marathon is to finish.Forget speed,enjoy the race.Keep a log of your weekly milage & don't do anymore than 10% a week build up.Till you get the stamina take walking breaks in your long runs.Join a local club & ask for help,us runners love to help each other.Good luck & remember the finish of the marathon line starts with the first step.

Injury is the enemy. If you don't already, learn to LOVE stretching as down time.

Good luck

+1 for this... on that note I used to stand on one foot (barefoot) while watching the news, making breakfast, whatever just 5-10 minutes per foot per time. It builds all the little stabilizing muscles that will prevent many common injury. Good luck and someone else already said it the goal of this first one is finish!

Well, I'm on my third week into training.

Things are going pretty good with all aspects of this adventure.

The first week my legs hurt. I went from not running at all to having 10 miles under my legs by the end of the week. By the time Week 2 came around my legs felt fine. Sunday I did my longest run at 4 miles and I felt I could keep on going, but I stopped. I keep hearing about getting hurt if you run to much to soon.
My biggest fear is getting injured and being set back. I am following a 30 week plan from Hal Hidgin, but the MCM is 28 weeks away, so I'm 2 weeks behind already before I even started.

I am getting a lot of support too. I know a few guys here donated and that is very much appreciated.
I am also getting a handful of guys asking if they can run too. So this weekend we started a team. As of now there is only three runners, but we have a few other guys who say they will run if they can get off of work in the fall.

Here is the team page. Let me know what you think.

Frogs N' Hogs

Genius,

Sounds like you have a good start to your running routine. Having a group to run with really helps a bunch especially when you get into some longer runs. I have not been so fortunate to have much of a group to run with. I see that you have had a chance to research Hal Higdon and his training plans. I thought he was a neat guy and the plans that he publishes I think are good plans. I used his plans when I was training for my first marathon. What do you have in mind or what are you currently using for hydration during your run/runs?

Mr. O.

Last edited:
Genius,

Sounds like you have a good start to your running routine. Having a group to run with really helps a bunch especially when you get into some longer runs. I have not been so fortunate to have much of a group to run with. I see that you have had a chance to research Hal Higdon and his training plans. I thought he was a neat guy and the plans that he publishes I think are good plans. I used his plans when I was training for my first marathon. What do you have in mind or what are you currently using for hydration during your run/runs?

Mr. O.

Granted we have a group, but the guys are all spread out. One is from Texas, with more potential Texas guys, a Ohio guy and one local.
But the local guy says he really likes to run solo. Granted, he has never trained for a marathon, so once we get to our long runs he might change his mind.

For hydration, I'm using Gatorade or plain water.
Do you have any suggestion for a way to carry it on my longer runs? Right now I carry a bottle, but after 4 miles the arm gets tired.

Take a look at an Amphipod Hydraform Handheld bottle. I picked one up for my first marathon training. The strap allows you to carry it without having to hold the bottle. You can let your hand relax and the bottle is always there. It made my long runs a lot more enjoyable. I always stayed with just water, then started trying to figure out what type of gu packets for the race. Went thru 10-15 different flavors and brands before finding the one that tasted good and settled good on my stomach.

I practice with a few different systems. I've got handheld 2 ultimate direction bottles one for each hand, Nathan 2v elite, which is a waist pack with two 22 oz bottles, and I also have a Nathan Cenergy Pack for when Im on a really really long solo run. I will couple the waist pack with the back packet for extended solo runs. The back pack is also useful for carrying extra clothing and nutrition. In marathons I use a single ultimate direction hand held bottle. This bottle is similar to PLT228's suggestion of an Amphiod bottle. Just comes down to preference then. I also agree with plt228 I to use water only for hydration and salt tabs(Scaps by Succeed) as my electrolyte supplement in a marathon. There are tons of gel packets in the world. What I use is Hammer gel. Just find something that works for you. Ive found Honey Stingers to work really well I just pop a couple in my mouth and suck on them until gone and then repeat. Keep it up!

Mr. O.

Off topic(ish), but I live and work in the area. Have you figured out where you'll be staying? I can point you in the right direction if need help.

Gunny, get a fanny pack that holds a water bottle and a power gel or two. Check out Jeff Galloways program an good luck. I seriously doubt I can give you any more motovation than what your running and why. I would love to run the Marine Corp marathon. Ran the Blue Angels just cause I was a squid an lived close. Lol

Off topic(ish), but I live and work in the area. Have you figured out where you'll be staying? I can point you in the right direction if need help.

I'm not 100% sure.

One of the guys said he was going to book a few rooms near Arlington that he found online, but I haven't heard for sure if he has or not yet.

Shoot me a PM with some suggestions.
I prefer something decent (IE: not a rent by the hour type of place where I feel dirty after sleeping). But I don't want to drop huge money to stay in a couple hundred dollar a night joint)

I've got handheld 2 ultimate direction bottles one for each hand, Nathan 2v elite, which is a waist pack with two 22 oz bottles, and I also have a Nathan Cenergy Pack for when Im on a really really long solo run.

I second the Nathan recommendation. For substantially shorter runs I use Nathan Speed 2 and Speed 4R. The speed 2 has 2 10 oz. bottles and the 4R has 4 8oz. bottles - not a huge difference, but you can also load them up differently (one with some more intense energy goo or what have you) and still have three containers for water left over.

If you go for the Nathan solutions - or pretty much anything on a belt - I highly encourage you to try them on for fit. I like it to fit snugly - you don't want the full bottles moving the belt around as you run.

I have not run any kind of serious distance however. 10k max for me to date.

If you go for the Nathan solutions - or pretty much anything on a belt - I highly encourage you to try them on for fit. I like it to fit snugly - you don't want the full bottles moving the belt around as you run.

I second this about the fit of the waist type bottle solutions. I also like a good fit. My wife tried my waist pack and it continually rode "up" on her sides, so in the end it didnt work for her.

Another point about back pack hydration systems is that if you are in a time sensitive situation filling the bladder isn't all that quick.

Congrats! I'm guessing you've ran at least half a marathon without too much trouble? We had the Aloha run, which is similar I guess (but watered down CONUS). I've done 16 miles at my best, and it was the best I ever felt. Felt like I could have gone all day at that point; I got winded 3 times but each time I got more. And I (was) a very shitty runner. At least I considered myself as such. Never maxed the run on the PT test, came close once, but I could go all day long and then some, and that is what counts in a marathon. Army only ever gave a shit out being able to run 2 miles in some set time. Turtle and hare anyone? You wanna be the turtle in a marathon.

I can't give medical advice, but I can say that 250mg Naproxen before the run will help prevent swelling. Hydration is key (stuck a lot of motherfuckers as CLS for not drinking enough water, including one foot IV and one anal due to collapsed veins) and were I you, I'd carry those little gel packs that GNC sells, those REALLY made me feel better on long road marches, which is actually worse than the run for most folks.

Don't burn yourself out in the beginning, go slow, maintain the proper pace. Waste as little motion as possible, keep straight, head up. I ran a shuffle at slow paces where I only moved my legs enough to propel forward at the proper rate. My arms stayed low and the pendulum with them was natural and minimal.

I guess what I'm saying is minimize movement to extend your stamina.

During the 30week period, I'd be running as many grueling hill runs and running trails. They help prevent injury compared to pavement and are just more fun. The uneven terrain helps build strength. Push yourself hard here, if you don't puke you aren't doing it hard enough, and I'm not kidding one bit here.

But find balance, don't overdo it. You need to determine what is appropriate and what isn't. Don't work through injuries, the injury is there to tell you something. I did that a lot and I'm permanently disabled now.

Depending on you, there will be a point where you want to increase carbs to have the extended stamina. Glucosamine Chondroitin is good for your joints, but you have to take a lot of it and you'd need to start taking it now. May help prevent injury since you are already healthy.

NUMBER ONE! Again, minimize injury. I was a superman once, I no shit ran with 200lbs. on the back quite regular, now I'm a VA hospital regular who sits at home and goes to the range and the mountains on good days, waiting for a new back surgery to unfuck myself. You don't want to be me.

Again, good luck! Wish you the best, and thanks for your service!

I second this about the fit of the waist type bottle solutions. I also like a good fit. My wife tried my waist pack and it continually rode "up" on her sides, so in the end it didnt work for her.

Another point about back pack hydration systems is that if you are in a time sensitive situation filling the bladder isn't all that quick.

Usually on long runs they have water tables. I wouldn't carry anything I didn't have to. The gel packs are small and light and those won't be at the water tables. Don't miss an opportunity to hydrate and hydrate well before hand.

Usually on long runs they have water tables. I wouldn't carry anything I didn't have to. The gel packs are small and light and those won't be at the water tables. Don't miss an opportunity to hydrate and hydrate well before hand.

Duh, for the training he'll need it, nevermind. I suppose for training then, I'd use a 3L camelback just for the added weight. But on race day, if they have water tables and I imagine they do, I wouldn't carry anything. But that is me.

I dont like to carry anything either but the first time the marathon director doesnt get enough water out on the course on a hot day and there is going to be trouble. Doesn't happen often but it does happen from time to time. The Chicago marathon a few years back ran out of water. Just another thing on a long list to think about when contemplating a marathon.

Have never run a full marathon myself, but a crazy running fool I know gave me this tip and it just works for me. Simply stated, he told me to concentrate on holding a blade of grass between my middle finger and thumb in each hand and apply just enough pressure to hold the blade of grass. Concentrate on this and then vary the swing of your arms as well as the speed of your swing. As I found out, or realized changing my arm swing also changed my stride and speed. Concentrating on gently holding the imaginary blade of grass gave my mind something to do and takes your mind off of the pain and distance you still have to go. Sounds simple and maybe even stupid, but it works.

Look up plans by Daniels, Pfitzinger, Larson, and Hanson's. I am partial to Hanson's (out of Michigan) for newer runners as they don't over-emphasize the long run. Galloway and Bingham are to be avoided. They are not really about training and preparing for a marathon.

Check out RunningAHEAD - Free online running log, training plans and running forum. Read and learn. Lots of knowledge there.

Ideally, you will hit at least 50 miles/week a few times before your marathon. The key is to go truly easy on your easy days, put the effort into the workouts, and listen to your body so you don't end up injured.

You want to be in the best shape you can on race day. My best was 2:28 and slowest ~3:20 when I had cramping issues. I can't imagine being out the ~5 hours. Better to train harder and finish the race faster. ;)

Congratulations on making the decision to run this. I am also running MCM and raising money for Miles for MARSOC. I'm not going to hijack your fundraising efforts here, it would be easy to find my page if anyone chose to do so. You've got some good advice on this thread, I'd recommend changing your running shoes every 300 miles and wearing a fairly new(but not completely new) pair on race day. Go out slower than you think you need to and remember that most people have the most difficulty in the last 5 or 6 miles. Also keep in mind that your mind will try to convince you to slow down or stop long before your body requires it. I look forward to seeing you out there!

Congratulations on making the decision to run this. I am also running MCM and raising money for Miles for MARSOC. I'm not going to hijack your fundraising efforts here, it would be easy to find my page if anyone chose to do so. You've got some good advice on this thread, I'd recommend changing your running shoes every 300 miles and wearing a fairly new(but not completely new) pair on race day. Go out slower than you think you need to and remember that most people have the most difficulty in the last 5 or 6 miles. Also keep in mind that your mind will try to convince you to slow down or stop long before your body requires it. I look forward to seeing you out there!

Cool, I'm sure I'll be meeting you.

Are you planning on going to the diner on the Saturday night before that Sarah emailed us about?

I'm on my second pair of shoes already, they are just about broken in, then my first shoes are getting retired. My mileage is really starting to ramp up, this afternoon ill be going on a 14-15 mile run.

4 months ago I wouldn't have thought it was possible to finish the race. Now, I am not worried at all. I can do 13 miles in 2 hours, I feel like I could keep on going too.

From not running ever, to now running 13+ miles without any issues, I'm happy with my progress.

BTW, good luck with your fundraising, and I'm sure I'll see you there.