• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact Precision Actions

Hows the bolt lift compare to the TL3? Im addicted to the TL3s light lift, but the one small complaint i had with the TL3 was its ability to get "bitey/hung up" when the bolt was at the rear and being pushed forward fast and sloppy. Hows the Impact feel back there?
Same here! Get in hurry, a little upward pressure and it ain't going nowhere.

Every time I surf the Hide I get myself into trouble! Since shot I’ve bought a Vudoo V-22 and an Impact. Thank you Hide!!!!

Reactions: jkvinyard
Okay. Yall convinced me. Ill be living off ramen noodles and picking up an Impact this summer if i can. Thanks alot fellas :/

It may take a couple months but ill be sure to post my findings on it compared to a few other actions ive tried / plan to try this year. Namely the TL3, Nucleus, Defiance, Tikka Custom, and Axiom.

It will also be the first time ive used a trigger hanger. It will still drop right into an MPA right?

Reactions: fx77
I couldn't resist any longer, called up Impact yesterday afternoon and they had a action and 6 creed barrel on hand. Great service! It should be on it's way to my FLL Monday.
My main compairson will be my AIAX. Unfortunately I have to wait for it to be imported into Canada so it will be a while before I can report back.

Okay. Yall convinced me. Ill be living off ramen noodles and picking up an Impact this summer if i can. Thanks alot fellas :/

It may take a couple months but ill be sure to post my findings on it compared to a few other actions ive tried / plan to try this year. Namely the TL3, Nucleus, Defiance, Tikka Custom, and Axiom.

It will also be the first time ive used a trigger hanger. It will still drop right into an MPA right?
Man it should clear without any mod. You might have to use low profile trigger hanger screws which are shipped along with the action as well so you have both sizes to pick from. I would def check clearance but it should fit fine. Glad you decided to give an Impact a try! We truly believe you will be very happy with your decision.

I couldn't resist any longer, called up Impact yesterday afternoon and they had a action and 6 creed barrel on hand. Great service! It should be on it's way to my FLL Monday.
My main compairson will be my AIAX. Unfortunately I have to wait for it to be imported into Canada so it will be a while before I can report back.
Your going to be sooooo happy you bought one. I primarily shoot and still shoot my aiax but I LOVE shooting my impact... I kind of want to get a second just because haha

I RO'd that match and seeing those impacts in action was awesome. Flawless, almost effortless cycling. It was beautiful to watch them in action.
It truly is the smoothest cycling. Think about the smoothest action you have ever cycled, and then when you cycle an impact you will say,”wow .....that was really smooth”. When coupled with the foundation stock and AICS mags they are truly effortless to pick a round up out of the mag.

Just wanted to share a few more pics! Enjoy!
A9499AC9-6A6E-4474-86D2-A1C8310EA8AB.jpeg
777B1E3E-238A-4668-961B-80BF227D19CD.jpeg
273D3362-AEAB-44EA-9A93-61F39AF2D73D.jpeg
E17C1718-3D5A-409A-B053-891CD61D753C.jpeg
D217F638-51A2-4D7E-8678-BF1DFF306372.jpeg
F11FFFB7-6C6B-4C84-93DD-44DEA51DB768.jpeg

It truly is the smoothest cycling. Think about the smoothest action you have ever cycled, and then when you cycle an impact you will say,”wow .....that was really smooth”. When coupled with the foundation stock and AICS mags they are truly effortless to pick a round up out of the mag.

Renomd, how does the Impact feel to you compared to a Melonited BAT? Either the tactical or the TR?

Renomd, how does the Impact feel to you compared to a Melonited BAT? Either the tactical or the TR?
That’s a difficult one Bc iv never owned one, I’ve cycled one though just to see how it feels but always thought they were on par with defiance.

I have both. The Bat tac’s action is very smooth to cycle as well IMHO. However, I still prefer the Impact over the Bat now because of a few small things that add up and edge it out for me(if I was pressed to only have one). Including the shrouded bolt stop, price point, owner c/s, foundation stock inlet support, etc.

Reactions: NBK and jkvinyard
@jkvinyard can you say a little about your setup? Is that JAE chassis?? I would love to see full specs on your build; interested in your choices.

Hey man, I really appreciate all youve shared in this thread! I am totally sold on Impact. I live what I’ve seen and Tate has been 10/10 in terms of courtesy and communication.

This is absolutely everything I want in terms of the soul of my new stick.

Reactions: fx77
Add Isaiah Curtis of Curtis Custom Weapons to the list of good gunsmiths for Impact actions. He built my 6mm Comet and it’s been nothing short of spectacular.

Group is with the FF load.

Attachments

• 2DF4D327-0B8B-40A5-9034-2A7F4C3B6DD5.jpeg
    2DF4D327-0B8B-40A5-9034-2A7F4C3B6DD5.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 5496F716-44B8-4EA8-8912-037FA9FD150B.jpeg
    5496F716-44B8-4EA8-8912-037FA9FD150B.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 208
Add Isaiah Curtis of Curtis Custom Weapons to the list of good gunsmiths for Impact actions. He built my 6mm Comet and it’s been nothing short of spectacular.

Group is with the FF load.

Great looking rifle!!

Reactions: NBK
@jkvinyard can you say a little about your setup? Is that JAE chassis?? I would love to see full specs on your build; interested in your choices.

Hey man, I really appreciate all youve shared in this thread! I am totally sold on Impact. I live what I’ve seen and Tate has been 10/10 in terms of courtesy and communication.

This is absolutely everything I want in terms of the soul of my new stick.

Sure thing, currently my match rig is set up with a couple different barrels. Specs:
Action: Impact (of course)
Stock: Foundation Genesis (MG1)
Barrel: Bartlein 6br and 6 Creed, both chambered by Stuteville Precision
Trigger: Bix n Andy
Rings: spuhr
Scope: Schmidt w/ h2cmr ret

That is how my current match rig is set up and I have a back up/ practice rig almost exactly the same except the stock is a Foundation Exodus and it’s a 6.5 Creed.

I have shot Impacts for the past two years exclusively and can honestly say I am 100% happy with how the thing runs compared to the other two brands I ran in the past.

I have a few different barrels that I change back and forth with a simple barrel vise and action wrench. I have the br and Creed that I switch on and off depending on matches. They both shoot well but the br just bug holes. I also just recently picked up a PRC and a mag bolt face and haven’t shot it yet but I am excited to see what it does with factory Hornady ammo. I shoot my 6.5 creed for practice and also shoot factory Hornady ammo and it is amazingly accurate for factory ammo. So I have 4-5 barrels at a time and just switch them back and forth depending on my needs between the two receivers.

I did use to use a JAllen Chassis and I love that chassis but made the switch last year to the Foundation for my match gun bc that thing is just comfy and vibration free.

Hope that works. If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer. Bottom pic is older pic of my rifle and I had a kahles at that time but recently got another Schmidt.
6F971915-D9EB-4218-8DB8-F3C8F30700E0.jpeg

A13C8D4A-CEB4-4E12-BD5D-001737713AA0.jpeg

View attachment 6919750[/QUOTE]
Sure thing, currently my match rig is set up with a couple different barrels. Specs:
Action: Impact (of course)
Stock: Foundation Genesis (MG1)
Barrel: Bartlein 6br and 6 Creed, both chambered by Stuteville Precision
Trigger: Bix n Andy
Rings: spuhr
Scope: Schmidt w/ h2cmr ret

That is how my current match rig is set up and I have a back up/ practice rig almost exactly the same except the stock is a Foundation Exodus and it’s a 6.5 Creed.

I have shot Impacts for the past two years exclusively and can honestly say I am 100% happy with how the thing runs compared to the other two brands I ran in the past.

I have a few different barrels that I change back and forth with a simple barrel vise and action wrench. I have the br and Creed that I switch on and off depending on matches. They both shoot well but the br just bug holes. I also just recently picked up a PRC and a mag bolt face and haven’t shot it yet but I am excited to see what it does with factory Hornady ammo. I shoot my 6.5 creed for practice and also shoot factory Hornady ammo and it is amazingly accurate for factory ammo. So I have 4-5 barrels at a time and just switch them back and forth depending on my needs between the two receivers.

I did use to use a JAllen Chassis and I love that chassis but made the switch last year to the Foundation for my match gun bc that thing is just comfy and vibration free.

Hope that works. If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer. Bottom pic is older pic of my rifle and I had a kahles at that time but recently got another Schmidt.
View attachment 6919746

View attachment 6919750

@jkvinyard, you are the man! Once again, great info and I appreciate the detail.

I have serious interest in the PRC and would be THRILLED to hear how it works out for you in your current action/barrel rotation. In terms of setup, all you need to address is the bolt face? What about magazines?

What you’ve got going in is like scary similar to my current vision. Your input is super helpful and the value of the info will potentially pay off for years. By the time I purchase, I will have such high confidence that I will likely not consider another setup for 3-4 years. Unless I get a lemon unit or run into some unforeseen issues.

@jkvinyard, you are the man! Once again, great info and I appreciate the detail.

I have serious interest in the PRC and would be THRILLED to hear how it works out for you in your current action/barrel rotation. In terms of setup, all you need to address is the bolt face? What about magazines?

What you’ve got going in is like scary similar to my current vision. Your input is super helpful and the value of the info will potentially pay off for years. By the time I purchase, I will have such high confidence that I will likely not consider another setup for 3-4 years. Unless I get a lemon unit or run into some unforeseen issues.

Man I really think you would be extremely happy with an Impact and Tate is amazing with customer service.

As far as bolt face, i didn’t explain that very good. I just have a completely different bolt that has those particular bolt face sizes. I have one bolt with the 308 bolt face for the typical match caliber 6br, creeds, etc.
When I screw on the 6.5 PRC I simply just switch the whole bolt to the mag bolt and go. I plan on getting out to the range very soon to see what it’s got. When I do, I will get some pics of groups and numbers and post them up and let ya know how it goes.
You also have the option of getting a 223 bolt and doing the same. Just screw on your .223, .223AI, 300 blackout, and swap to the 223 bolt and go.

As far as mags, I run the tried and true AICS mags. That’s what impact cuts their action for and they stuck with aics bc of reliability, so I just feel I have no need to get the aw (which impact will do if you request it) and cause potential for problems. I really don’t feel any handicap (and I’ve shot a lot of matches) by the longer aics. Really a benefit, bc aics just works and gives confident feeding. Don’t mean to sound like aw doesn’t work, but you just see and have the potential for more problems with a two lug action.

Hope that helps. Like I said, I will try and get that prc shot soon and let ya know how it goes.

Reactions: seekinshooter
@jkvinyard, when you do come back with some results on your prc, you might want to share what coal you’re running on your rounds and if you are running modified Aics mags to accommodate a longer coal. At least, That would be of the most interest to me if I were considering running the 6.5prc with the impact737, and your experience with it feeding.

Reactions: Acer76
@jkvinyard, when you do come back with some results on your prc, you might want to share what coal you’re running on your rounds and if you are running modified Aics mags to accommodate a longer coal. At least, That would be of the most interest to me if I were considering running the 6.5prc with the impact737, and your experience with it feeding.
Will do. I will be starting with factory Hornady so I will measure and report. I have one aics mag modified so we will see how that goes.

Man I really think you would be extremely happy with an Impact and Tate is amazing with customer service.

As far as bolt face, i didn’t explain that very good. I just have a completely different bolt that has those particular bolt face sizes. I have one bolt with the 308 bolt face for the typical match caliber 6br, creeds, etc.
When I screw on the 6.5 PRC I simply just switch the whole bolt to the mag bolt and go. I plan on getting out to the range very soon to see what it’s got. When I do, I will get some pics of groups and numbers and post them up and let ya know how it goes.
You also have the option of getting a 223 bolt and doing the same. Just screw on your .223, .223AI, 300 blackout, and swap to the 223 bolt and go.

As far as mags, I run the tried and true AICS mags. That’s what impact cuts their action for and they stuck with aics bc of reliability, so I just feel I have no need to get the aw (which impact will do if you request it) and cause potential for problems. I really don’t feel any handicap (and I’ve shot a lot of matches) by the longer aics. Really a benefit, bc aics just works and gives confident feeding. Don’t mean to sound like aw doesn’t work, but you just see and have the potential for more problems with a two lug action.

Hope that helps. Like I said, I will try and get that prc shot soon and let ya know how it goes.
Re: mags, I think Tate mentioned they tune mags (AICS?) in house for their receivers. is that correct and if so, does anyone know what exactly they’re doing? I’m thinking feed lips.

Re: mags, I think Tate mentioned they tune mags (AICS?) in house for their receivers. is that correct and if so, does anyone know what exactly they’re doing? I’m thinking feed lips.

If they do you’d never know any difference running ‘untuned mags.’ Mine takes random AI 5/10 round, ARC, and polymer mags all the same.

Cartridge selection may make some difference on this (looking at BRs mainly), but overall I wouldn’t worry too much about which mags work and which don’t.

Reactions: Acer76
Yes Impact offers tuned aics mags. And yes they work the feed lips to fit and feed smoother. Like just browsing said above, regular aics mags will work fine. I have a couple and you can just tune the lips yourself to whatever cartridge your shooting. But be careful not to do too much tuning. Lol

Just wanted to start a thread and start some discussion on Impact actions. If you haven’t heard of them or got your hands on one, do yourself a favor and check them out. You’ll be glad you did. You can find us on Facebook @ https://m.facebook.com/impactprecisionshooting/ or Instagram @ impactprecisionshootingllc.
Go give us a like and follow us! We have actions in stock ready to ship and you can check out our website @ https://impactprecisionshooting.com/
These actions have been in the field for the past 3 years and proven themselves to be reliable in all conditions. If you like smooth, then Impact is where it’s at. Let us know if you have any questions. If you have any experience with an Impact shoot us a comment here and let us know what you think!
View attachment 6876304

@jkvinyard Could you comment on what bolt knob that is?
I have spoken with a number of shooters that have picked up an impact action that are looking for bolt knob options.

Any update on this front?

What am I missing?

Not sure what you mean, but the deviant has always been our standard by which everything is compared. I'm assuming yours is raw correct?

Coatings make a whole lot of difference in feel. It is definitely hard and misleading to feel any of these actions brand new and make firm conclusions on any of them. But say both of 10 K cycles and are appropriately worn in. And both actions were nitrided. Having owned both, the impact will feel smoother amongst a variety of different conditions and will definitely be much more resistant to dirt and debris, and just runs no matter the conditions. I think a large part has to do with the fact that it rides on machined rails that keep it from binding while allowing for enough clearance for dirt and debris versus other actions that have tighter tolerances. Cleaned and lubricated- the deviant is more of a 'glass' smooth, but this is fleeting once you get it in the wild. You could also speak the deviant w/ extra raceway clearance - tell them you want to cerakote it.

The deviant is a machining beauty that is very much at home at the bench where dirt and debris are not a big factor. Nitriding definitely helps in my opinion. Otherwise, the raw finish runs smooth and beautifully so long as its clean. The main issue and reason that folks have started to look elsewhere is that these tight tolerances are not necessarily a good thing in the elements we often shoot. So that's where impact comes in and Bighorn that has even more clearance that give these actions the reputation of being robust. Especially the impact action.

Do you need to change from the deviant? Well just depends if binding has become common for you. If a new shooter had the question, I think impact makes much more sense, but if you already had one, then I'm not sure the benefit is massive unless you were having issues with your deviant.
But I would say:

bolt lift is comparable
customizability/ options in favor of deviant
stock fitment in favor of the deviant (trigger hangers are neat until you have to pull out a dremel to get it to fit)
fit and finish about the same
trigger timing in favor of impact
consistency in favor of impact (where's the deviant prefits anybody?)

But let's be honest, you are choosing between lexus and mercedes. Not a wrong decision dude.

Last edited:
That's what I was hoping to hear. In Florida I never once had an issue with the deviant, but three times now I've had it bind up in matches here in New Mexico due to heavy dust and sand and constant wind getting it in to every possible place. I love the action and when it's clean it's flawless, but it sucked having to pull the bolt in the middle of a stage to attempt to wipe off as much dust as I could and then try to fire off my remaining rounds on the clock.

Appreciate the input arm017

Here is a picture of the rails - a lot of bolt have a similar machined groove on the bolt lugs that ride on a rail in the action, but I think the precise machining of opposed rails it part of the robustness and debris for eating characteristic of the impact.

Anybody know where I can get that particular bolt knob?? That's not the stock knob it ships with any more.

bolt.jpg

Reactions: rydah
It was a earlier version no longer being made. So I doubt you would able to get it any longer.
However, I think Bighorn's tactical version would be a very similar fit/feel.

It was a earlier version no longer being made. So I doubt you would able to get it any longer.
However, I think Bighorn's tactical version would be a very similar fit/feel.

yeah, but it's a different thread pattern - I run TL3s and an impact, so guess just second nature that I want that given pattern. But I have already tried to move it over without luck. I just feel much more 'surgical' and smooth with a nicely smoothed bolt knob. The radial cuts aren't my thing, but talk about a first world problem....

What thread pitch does your TL3 have? I won't say you are wrong, but
I've been running the APA knurled knob&extension on Bighorn, Surgeon, and Impact Action bolts.
Additionally, the KMW and Gradous Warthog all interchange.

@jkvinyard Could you comment on what bolt knob that is?
I have spoken with a number of shooters that have picked up an impact action that are looking for bolt knob options.

Any update on this front?
The bolt knob in that picture is the original/first bolt knob that Impact started with. After receiving feedback from numerous people they switched to the knob that is currently being used, which is a touch longer and bigger. I’m not 100% on where Jeff Johnson from above got his round knob, but that’s an option maybe and I know that KMW offers a knob that they make for the Impact. Other than that I’m not aware of any other options.

What thread pitch does your TL3 have? I won't say you are wrong, but
I've been running the APA knurled knob&extension on Bighorn, Surgeon, and Impact Action bolts.
Additionally, the KMW and Gradous Warthog all interchange.

Oh I would love to be wrong here, cause I would run the tl3 knob on it then. I'll give it another go tonight and report back.

I bought a bunch of surgeon round knobs and had my gunsmith turn the shank down to match the diameter of the impact bolt handle. Surgeon is out of stock right now and i need a few more. So if one of you guys wants to start making a round knob that matches up with the impact, ill buy a couple from ya. Obviously there is a market out there for different knobs.

Midwest side- how does that apa surgeon adapter look on the impact?

Reactions: Pusher591
If you guys can get your heads together and agree on something, maybe two or three different knobs, I will make the 3d models and have some made. not sure what they will run, but it would probably be cheaper than what I paid to get the surgeon knob to look perfect on my impact. if there is enough interest in this, i will make it happen for you guys.

*EDIT* As long as Tate and the Impact Crew are okay with it. I will see Tate this weekend, so I will check with him then.

-Jeff

well, I just checked the Apa extension on the 737 and it was indeed turned down about 27 thou’. My calipers suck, so don’t hold me to that exact difference. Photo shows bighorn, surgeon, Impact, apa knob(in the white) from Left to right.
That’s a cool offer on the knobs & model. Probably hard to please all. I just like a little grip with the knurl.
F0BFDA6A-5374-4C14-81D8-31C0AD73BA83.jpeg
F0BFDA6A-5374-4C14-81D8-31C0AD73BA83.jpeg

Reactions: Dooby
Did it work for you?

Just so you know I'm not full of sh!t, you can see in the link below, Terry has the 3 mfgs listed:
https://www.kmwlrs.com/product-page/kmw-tactical-bolt-handle-gen-ii-surgeon

Lol - We are all full of shit, but come to find out- Bighorn makes bolt knobs in 2 thread patterns. The three tl3s I have all have a 1/4-28 thread pattern, when the rest of the world is more in line with 5/16-24. However, bighorn does have 5/16-24 available separately as well.

5tLVGrN9S6GP0TMa0Y%dXg.jpg

If you guys can get your heads together and agree on something, maybe two or three different knobs, I will make the 3d models and have some made. not sure what they will run, but it would probably be cheaper than what I paid to get the surgeon knob to look perfect on my impact. if there is enough interest in this, i will make it happen for you guys.

*EDIT* As long as Tate and the Impact Crew are okay with it. I will see Tate this weekend, so I will check with him then.

-Jeff

Hell yeah man! I would be on board with this. My vote is to bring sexy back with the OG knob.
IMG_0353.png

Tate could retire on how many bolt knobs I have bought for actions. Here was another sunday afternoon to turn that adapter down. Turned out: ehh. Originally was cut for the APA knob, and it was more ehhhh.

IMG_0316.jpg

Ah and to add the to confusion- I just pulled the knob on my first TL3- serial number in the 1200s. - This bolt has the larger thread pitch mentioned- 5/16-24. As compared to my other Tl3s - serial number 1700s and 2200s- which both use a 1/4-28 thread. So yeah all over the place with the bolt knob situation.

What chassis will work effectively with the Impact?

Would a KRG Bravo or XRay?

What chassis will work effectively with the Impact?

Would a KRG Bravo or XRay?

negative - at least not without a bit of inletting
The krg W3 backbone requires you to open up the trigger well opening to accommodate the trigger hanger of the impact

negative - at least not without a bit of inletting
The krg W3 backbone requires you to open up the trigger well opening to accommodate the trigger hanger of the impact

Is that an easy home fix or could a gunsmith open it up?